What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Artists That Changed Music: (1 Viewer)

while not a game changer, Steve Allen, carried a major musical torch throughout the 50's and 60's.

By his own estimate, he wrote more than 8,500 songs.

You people forget how huge EDM and Hip hop is?

Kraftwerk the Most influential band since the Beatles

Kraftwerk Influence

German electro voyagers Kraftwerk pioneered the use of synthesisers and electronic beats from the mid-70s onwards. The band’s innovations – such as on the single The Model – set new sonic boundaries for music, inspiring a slew of New Wave-era synth-pop groups who followed in their wake. Most importantly, Kraftwerk remain one of the most important artists in electronic music, their sound leaving an indelible mark on the evolution of later genres, particularly on hip-hop, techno and house music. Without Kraftwerk, the club scene as we know it today would not exist

No Doubt, according to Wikipedia, was formed in '86 here locally.  Sublime, according to the same source, came out in '88, also locally.  I think Sublime had more notoriety earlier on... but they're in the same wheelhouse.  That said, No Doubt was really just ska pop while Sublime had more punk and reggae elements.  JMO.

I love them both, I just think Sublime were more of pioneers than No Doubt.  Again JMO.
Ska goes back to the 60’s (technically earlier), but The English Beat, The Specials, Madness, etc. probably brought it mainstream and heavily influenced No Doubt.

Really? I’m not saying you’re wrong. I like his music but I don’t follow how he did anything to separate him from his peers.

What are all these accomplishments? Imo, he had two good albums.

I think a random person can name multiple songs by each of the artists you mentioned. Can they name one Kanye song? 

ETA- Maybe I’m just letting his personality get in the way. He’s a helluva artist and that’s what this thread is. 

Kanye is a polarizing figure and I think a lot of people are guilty of focusing on antics instead of his body of work.  His cultural impact not only only in music but in fashion, film, art, politics is impressive.  Crazy to think he created a shoe company that outsold Jordans.  His documentary on Netflix that recently came out is a great watch.  

As for the albums, I'd argue that his first 5 or 6 albums are classics in addition to many of his collaborations and production credits.   He's constantly evolving so it's not all my cup of tea but I respect the chances he takes.  I still remember in the late 90s early 2000s when Kanye was just regarded as a producer (for Jay Z, Common etc) and folks didn't want to hear his voice.   He's really changed the direction of music and impacted many of today's top artists.  You wouldn't have Travis Scott or Drake if not for Kanye.   

After reading his wiki page, it looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way.  All his accomplishments by the age of 44 are something else:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West

Billboard senior editor Alex Gale declared West "absolutely one of the best, and you could make the argument for the best artist of the 21st century."[3] Sharing similar sentiments, Complex called West the twenty-first century's "most important artist of any art form, of any genre."[559] The Atlantic writer David Samuels commented, "Kanye's power resides in his wild creativity and expressiveness, his mastery of form, and his deep and uncompromising attachment to a self-made aesthetic that he expresses through means that are entirely of the moment: rap music, digital downloads, fashion, Twitter, blogs, live streaming video."[560] Joe Muggs of The Guardian argued that "there is nobody else who can sell as many records as West does [...] while remaining so resolutely experimental and capable of stirring things up culturally and politically."[561]

Users who are viewing this thread