What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Athlete Turns Her Back on the Flag During National Anthem (1 Viewer)

Let me guess, you think that has been a positive?  :lmao:
Nowhere did I claim that in my post.

My point was...without this thread or social media trying to mock this person...she probably wouldn't have gotten the publicity she did at all.  She would have been a footnote.

Nowhere did I claim that in my post.

My point was...without this thread or social media trying to mock this person...she probably wouldn't have gotten the publicity she did at all.  She would have been a footnote.
Hate to break to to you….but the optics weren’t good. 

She finished third at the U.S. Olympic trials. I’d  say finishing 11th overall at the Olympics is probably exceeding expectations at this point. 

I agree..and she is already forgotten as women hammer throwing is not exactly a fan favorite to watch.

On a positive note it did seem most athletes were there to compete and take in the Olympic experience and enjoy the time of their lives. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Meg is getting a little long in the tooth so it might be a good time to retire.
Yeah, her and Lloyd are at the end of their run as far as age goes. I don't think it has as much to do with politics as it does age, but that they're talking about a bit of dissent and bullying is indeed of note, so I figured I'd post. 

i guess it’s kinda crappy to dump on someone for their personal decisions, but Hope did marry Jerramy Stevens. 

::shrug::
Oh, Hope Solo is notorious for sort of being a troublemaker. That said, her opinion, even in context of her past transgressions, rings really true. We're American and each individual has the right to protest or not protest the national anthem. To bully somebody into a sign of team unity for a cause one doesn't want to adopt is a bad look. 

She’s defied all sorts of norms and public pressure to speak out for justice and what she believes in. I admire that. 

Not really, first of all she was a star player not a bottom of the roster type, second she is a gay, liberal female athlete. Third nobody knew who she was and this garnered her tons of publicity for her brand.  Kind of makes her a sacred cow.

The ones who we should admire are the fringe players who try to do the same thing. But nobody cares about them.

Not really, first of all she was a star player not a bottom of the roster type, second she is a gay, liberal female athlete.  Kind of makes her a sacred cow.

The ones who we should admire are the fringe players who try to do the same thing. But nobody cares about them.
Maybe in your book being an openly gay liberal female athlete makes her a “sacred cow.” But she’s received plenty of hate mail and death threats as a result of publicly stating her sexual preference. 

Rapinoe doesn't seem like a particularly likable person, but Solo seems like a genuinely poor person in general (that is me putting it as nicely as I can).  Hard to buy anything Solo says about pretty much anything. 

Rapinoe doesn't seem like a particularly likable person, but Solo seems like a genuinely poor person in general (that is me putting it as nicely as I can).  Hard to buy anything Solo says about pretty much anything. 

Agree about Solo.

But I believe Rapinoe would push people hard to be with her on things.

She’s defied all sorts of norms and public pressure to speak out for justice and what she believes in. I admire that. 
I don’t know what all is wrapped up in the “speak out for justice” in your post but if it’s about equal pay for the USWNT then she’s really wrong on that topic.  We’ve discussed it a lot in the FFA threads.  Anything else you are referring to I don’t have a comment on as I’m not well versed in it.

Users who are viewing this thread