What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Austin Collie, Anything to See? (1 Viewer)

He looked real promising before the concussion problems... If he gets on the field , he could be decent. I dropped DHB and picked him up.

Dropped Britt in a couple leagues for him. Worth the flyer, otherwise just drop him in a couple weeks.

The fact that a team would sign this guy and let him play is kind of sad. He needs to step away from the game and is one hit away from ruining his life. Why he would want to continue playing is beyond me...

Manning took Brady's toy, so he takes his. We all know his concussion issues but if healthy, no way you can't see him producing in a Brady offense. BTW, he practiced today

If him and Brady get a rapport going, WR2/3 moving forward. He's got tons of skill, just 1 hit away from retiring.

Collie is non-factor for FF purposes. More about the fact only two WRs (Edelman, Boyce) not on injury report this week so I think he's just a buffer in case Dobson or Thompkins are no gos. Thompkins was a recent add. Collie will be gone by Halloween.

he was the #1 fantasy WR the season he got hurt (before he got hurt obv.) with Manning.

if the Pats just wanted a body why not just sign Branch?

......Collie is every bit the player Edelman is .....

im keeping an eye on this .....

Well we won't be seeing anything. I'm sure Collie will be seeing life thru permanent beer goggles after the next hit to the head though. This guy needs to retire already, take a tip from Jahvid Best man... keep saying you'll play again but don't actually play again.

Claimed him after the signing in my deep roster dynasty league.

Little to no value imo, lottery ticket.

I thought that guy retired to go back to school, or something, the last time the pats had him in camp -- or am I thinking of the wrong guy?

Anything to see? Change your subject .. he was signed by Tom Brady's team OF COURSE there is a chance he becomes fantasy relevant
This.

Amendola didn't even make it through a whole game before getting injured again. Reasonable to assume he won't last long when he does return. Edelman isn't the biggest guy around at 5'10"198, and he's averaging 11 targets a game and returning punts. Not crazy to think he could get hurt too. That's probably what it would take for Collie to be relevant, but if it happens, he could get 10+ targets a game from Brady.

Cracks me up how a team so needy of WRs like SF can think Collie isn't worth keeping but a team like NE that has invested so much in the pass game, with three vets on one side (DA, Edelman, Gronk) and two draft picks & a starting UDFA on the other (Boyd, Dobson, KT), six options in all, not to mention Bolden/Vereen, feels he is.

Cracks me up how a team so needy of WRs like SF can think Collie isn't worth keeping but a team like NE that has invested so much in the pass game, with three vets on one side (DA, Edelman, Gronk) and two draft picks & a starting UDFA on the other (Boyd, Dobson, KT), six options in all, not to mention Bolden/Vereen, feels he is.
Depth is depth. When literally all of your WRs are nursing injuries, its time to start scrounging.

Harbaugh suffered concussion issues himself - Maybe it's possible he told Collie to hang it up and he had some integrity?

Harbaugh suffered concussion issues himself - Maybe it's possible he told Collie to hang it up and he had some integrity?
yeah, that must be why they had him in camp in the first place

yeah, that must be why they had him in camp in the first place
He didn't see a lot of action... I didn't say "this is why he was waived" - just a theory.

If it was any other team, I wouldn't even take a second glance. Being the Patriots, and their history of getting incredible value where others see none or significantly less makes this worth keeping an eye on.

If it was any other team, I wouldn't even take a second glance. Being the Patriots, and their history of getting incredible value where others see none or significantly less makes this worth keeping an eye on.
I think he is worth a stash... Edelman is superbly talented & also has an injury history.

This guy is one snap away from fantasy relevance.

I think he is worth a stash... Edelman is superbly talented & also has an injury history.

Or having his brains leak out onto the field...

I honestly hate to see Collie on a football field after what he has been through. He should follow Jahvid Best's lead, and make his mark elsewhere.

That being said, Collie has talent, and for as long as he can play, you have to believe he could be a contributor and fantasy relevant.

Well yea, but I'd prefer the relevance.

The 49ers didn't keep him despite their shortage of receivers. I think he is probably nothing more than insurance/depth.

I personally don't take ethical implications into consideration when deciding FF decisions, and for those purposes treat his concussion history like you would any injury history of a player. It raises concerns about his longevity, but as long as he is on the field he could be a valuable asset in the Pats system. Cue bashing.

tombonneau said:
Collie is non-factor for FF purposes. More about the fact only two WRs (Edelman, Boyce) not on injury report this week so I think he's just a buffer in case Dobson or Thompkins are no gos. Thompkins was a recent add. Collie will be gone by Halloween.
Collie couldn't replace what Thompkins gives them. My first thought was that they are still concerned about Amendola.

tombonneau said:
Collie couldn't replace what Thompkins gives them. My first thought was that they are still concerned about Amendola.
Edelman isn't the most durable either, if Edelman goes down before or after Danny returns they are back to square one with no underneath options.

I personally think those of you who continue to proclaim you 'hate to see' him out on the field are completely full of #### and yourselves. You all sound like you're pandering to the the entitlemt crowd. He's making a choice. Like a big boy. You don't really care about him unless you're in his circle, so who are you trying to impress? If he helps you win a relatively meaningless FF game and dies on the plane home, you wouldn't blink before dropping him and you'd never think of him again. Save the limp-wristed opinions for your book club and Cosmo night.

I personally think those of you who continue to proclaim you 'hate to see' him out on the field are completely full of #### and yourselves. You all sound like you're pandering to the the entitlemt crowd. He's making a choice. Like a big boy. You don't really care about him unless you're in his circle, so who are you trying to impress? If he helps you win a relatively meaningless FF game and dies on the plane home, you wouldn't blink before dropping him and you'd never think of him again. Save the limp-wristed opinions for your book club and Cosmo night.
I hate to encourage this sort of behavior but if I'm being honest with myself ...

:goodposting:

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

I just call them like I see them. I'm assuming that's acceptable around here. I'm also assuming you came in here to see what was going around about a certain NE WRs value, not to i-chastise a grown man for putting his health at risk for some cash. Right?

I just call them like I see them. I'm assuming that's acceptable around here. I'm also assuming you came in here to see what was going around about a certain NE WRs value, not to i-chastise a grown man for putting his health at risk for some cash. Right?
:rolleyes:

Like many on here, I am not only a football fan. I am also a parent to some kids who play football, so safety in this sport I love is an important issue.

While I personally couldn't tell you a single thing about who Austin Collie is, who his family is, what his dreams are, etc.., I can tell you I would hate to see anyone with his history of concussions going back onto the football field. Expressing that concern here, just like offering condolences when the stars we watched pass, is not a sign of being "limp-wristed" or "completely full of ####," as you so eloquently expressed it.

Yes, Austin Collie is a grown man, and he can make his own decisions. In the end, you are right in this much, I will not lose a wink of sleep, either way. Austin Collie is taking a calculated risk, perhaps. Maybe it is money motivated. Perhaps he is motivated by something bigger. I truly don't know.

What I do know is that I am happy to call it like I see it, and if the way I see it is, "I hate to see someone with his history getting back onto the football field," I will happily express that, so take that to your Cosmo night junkies.

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys are funny ... he couldn't even make the Niners roster, he won't contribute for the Patriots

:goodposting:

If Collie dies on the field... I would feel crappy... and that downer might ruin my whole football season.

Hence I'd prefer him not to play.

Selfish? Sure. But this sport is supposed to be fun to watch.

If Collie dies on the field... I would feel crappy... and that downer might ruin my whole football season.

Hence I'd prefer him not to play.

Selfish? Sure. But this sport is supposed to be fun to watch.
Unlikley to die, but likely to have chronic brain encephalopathy leading to an earlier onset of dementia.

It must be rough to have to consider that due to so many concussions he's a guarantee(the way some put it) to have all these difficulties later in life. I wonder if part of his thought process has been what difference will one more make.

I imagine Collie and this right now will become a big focus of athletes and concussions in future years. Players continuing to play even though they have been counseled by docs, docs letting em play, NFLPA or NFL allowing it. I don't think anything is as cut N dry as some of the opinions above. I don't know enough about Collie or concussions here-at times I think the league doesn't know enough either and that's a shame.

To me, it seems the Pats added Edelman because he was hurt last year. They signed Amendola and now Collie. It seems there's a certain type they're looking for and while I loved Troy Brown and rooted for Branch at times, I don't think that I thought 3 Troy Browns on the field would have been a great thing. Who is stretching the field?

Apparently Sims was just preseason (Taye Biddle? what was his name) type stellar play not actual because no matter how many injuries they don't re-sign him and I haven't noticed another team picking him up.

I agree with the previous sentiment, why not just sign branch then.

I love watching this way down the depth chart guy Marc Mariani in TEN and he was the first and only time I ever used the Welker comparison. If the Pats are doing this, I'd like to see them sign him. He's on IR with what seemed like a bogus injury. First year pro bowl return guy, played some WR in pro bowl and did pretty well against top DBs. Second year injured out for the year. Third, this year, looked fine then went to IR in a huh? type way.

:goodposting: 1. Only cares about people he knows

2. Equates empathy with homosexuality

3. Has Sarah Palin pic as screensaver -- just a guess

He had 2 catches for 25 yards on the game winning drive - That wasn't garbage time, that was the game winning drive - Can't believe this isn't being talked about... Outside of the obvious head injuries, we know he has talent, a lot more then ####### Julian Edelman...

Amendola looked like he might have been killed last week so I expect he sits this week.

BOLD PREDICTION:

So far under the radar and nobody has said a word about Collie lately - He leads the Pats in receptions this week and is a target monster. PPR 15 points easy.

This prediction assumes no Gronk against the Jets.

Users who are viewing this thread