What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auto repair vs purchase (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
I thought there was a thread about this before but couldn't find it.

Here is the dilemma - we have 3 vehicles
2019 Honda passport - 24K miles (making payments on this for the next 4 years)
2016 Honda civic - it was my commuter car now my daughters 111K (paid off)
2009 Chevy Traverse - was my wifes until we bought the passport. 133K (paid off)

up until last October we didnt have a car payment for quite sometime. During covid I didn't need to drive much so it wasn't that big of deal. Now I am back in the office 2-3 days a week. (100 miles round trip)

So the Traverse needs tire and brakes and now needs a timing chain - so we are talking probably 3k-4k in repairs etc

My wife works from home when I go into the office so, I'll take the new car on occasion but don't want to put tons of miles on it.

I've been looking at getting a used accord to commute with again but costs of those are about 25K-30K. I don't want a bare bones vehicle to commute with but also not breaking the bank either.

So I'm of the opinion to fix the traverse this time and drive it for as long as possible. My wife thinks we shouldn't fix it and just make due using that sparingly. The funny part is we bought the passport last october to use for a trip to florida because we knew the traverse needed work but my kid didn't have her license yet so it was a non issue.

I figure a car payment is going to be about $400 so 4K is going to be about 10 months of "new car" plus the gas mileage difference.

Buy a "new" (most likely a 2019-2020 accord) or repair the traverse?

What's would be your buy vs repair price line?

TIA

Everything I'm hearing is that the cost of new/used cars is outrageous right now. I'd be tempted to put the money into the car and try and get another year out of it.
Used cars have a much more significant premium on them right now, they started to come down since around March but have started rising again. Most used cars are going 7-10k over what they did before the pandemic. You can still get a new car for sticker.

Sound like after some Traverse owners replaced the timing chain they then needed a new engine.
(Hit link and scroll down to the comments - also a lot more info on there about your truck)

The overall problem occurred with 2007-2009 GM SUVs, including the 2009 Chevy Traverse and similar vehicles with 2.8L and 3.6L dual overhead cam engines. Chevrolet initially believed the timing chain wear was happening because the engine computer wasn't sending them in for oil changes often enough.Jan 13, 2021

How much does it cost to replace a timing chain on a Chevy Traverse?

The Best in Auto Repair

The average cost for a Chevrolet Traverse timing chain and gear set replacement is between $2,077 and $2,416. Labor costs are estimated between $1,296 and $1,635 while parts are priced at $780.

No matter if you keep or sell traverse, it will need the timing chain, right?
yes? id i sell it i don't think the timing chain fixes itself.... :P

Not sure I'm following tbh
Think he’s asking if the timing chain is loose, still running and you can sell it without fixing it or if the car is basically scrap without fixing the chain.
Mean you’ll need to fix it no matter what you do. If you’re already putting a few grand into it to get the timing chain fixed, why not just keep it.

OP mentioned the wife didn’t want to fix it - just saying that’s not really an option here is it?

I think buying a brand new car is still a better deal these days versus buying a used car.

How much could you get for the Traverse in it's current condition?

My traverse is probably worth 4K private party sale

Everything I'm hearing is that the cost of new/used cars is outrageous right now. I'd be tempted to put the money into the car and try and get another year out of it.
Used cars have a much more significant premium on them right now, they started to come down since around March but have started rising again. Most used cars are going 7-10k over what they did before the pandemic. You can still get a new car for sticker.
I know these are marked up but I've found great value on preowned certified vehicles.

The Honda Passport Elite I just bought for 2022 was ~ 53K - I got a 2019 with 8,000 miles on it for 38K - I'll take that trade off any time

A brand new civic that is middle of the road is almost 30K - thats insane to me

Think he’s asking if the timing chain is loose, still running and you can sell it without fixing it or if the car is basically scrap without fixing the chain.
Mean you’ll need to fix it no matter what you do. If you’re already putting a few grand into it to get the timing chain fixed, why not just keep it.

OP mentioned the wife didn’t want to fix it - just saying that’s not really an option here is it?
I dont need to fix it if I sell it.....

Its still currently running and working - but needs the chain replaced

We ran into this last year with my wife's Suburban. We had a large repair on the horizon so we bought new.

Get rid of it as is

Sound like after some Traverse owners replaced the timing chain they then needed a new engine.
(Hit link and scroll down to the comments - also a lot more info on there about your truck)

The overall problem occurred with 2007-2009 GM SUVs, including the 2009 Chevy Traverse and similar vehicles with 2.8L and 3.6L dual overhead cam engines. Chevrolet initially believed the timing chain wear was happening because the engine computer wasn't sending them in for oil changes often enough.Jan 13, 2021

How much does it cost to replace a timing chain on a Chevy Traverse?

The Best in Auto Repair

The average cost for a Chevrolet Traverse timing chain and gear set replacement is between $2,077 and $2,416. Labor costs are estimated between $1,296 and $1,635 while parts are priced at $780.
I've already had it replaced at 25K - it was part of the warranty so I'm on 110K with this one

2009 Chevy Traverse - was my wifes until we bought the passport. 133K (paid off)

up until last October we didnt have a car payment for quite sometime. During covid I didn't need to drive much so it wasn't that big of deal. Now I am back in the office 2-3 days a week. (100 miles round trip)

So the Traverse needs tire and brakes and now needs a timing chain - so we are talking probably 3k-4k in repairs etc

My wife works from home when I go into the office so, I'll take the new car on occasion but don't want to put tons of miles on it.

I've been looking at getting a used accord to commute with again but costs of those are about 25K-30K. I don't want a bare bones vehicle to commute with but also not breaking the bank either.

So I'm of the opinion to fix the traverse this time and drive it for as long as possible. My wife thinks we shouldn't fix it and just make due using that sparingly. The funny part is we bought the passport last october to use for a trip to florida because we knew the traverse needed work but my kid didn't have her license yet so it was a non issue.

I figure a car payment is going to be about $400 so 4K is going to be about 10 months of "new car" plus the gas mileage difference.

TIA

If the Traverse is in good shape other than what is needed I would repair. Eventually all vehicles need maintenance. What I have been told by mechanics if the repairs are half or less the value of the vehicle then repair.

If you can get a good 2 years out of it then get rid of it before next repairs it would be worth it, cut your insurance package on it as well.

TIA

If the Traverse is in good shape other than what is needed I would repair. Eventually all vehicles need maintenance. What I have been told by mechanics if the repairs are half or less the value of the vehicle then repair.

If you can get a good 2 years out of it then get rid of it before next repairs it would be worth it, cut your insurance package on it as well.
That was done long ago :)

Misunderstood. Thought it was inoperable as is.

I've taken cars to a mechanic I trust and ask them to give me their thoughts on the repair/sell decision. Really happy I did with the 2001 we're still driving with only minimal repairs beyond the $2k we dropped maybe 6 years ago.

I've taken cars to a mechanic I trust and ask them to give me their thoughts on the repair/sell decision. Really happy I did with the 2001 we're still driving with only minimal repairs beyond the $2k we dropped maybe 6 years ago.

This, it's nearly impossible to know just by brand name. Certain models of even highly reliable makes are crap, the mechanics that work on these know it. Well worth getting an inspection on a car you think you might be selling or keeping.

I think buying a brand new car is still a better deal these days versus buying a used car.

I know these are marked up but I've found great value on preowned certified vehicles.

The Honda Passport Elite I just bought for 2022 was ~ 53K - I got a 2019 with 8,000 miles on it for 38K - I'll take that trade off any time

The Civic Sport is only $25k. You could also look at the Corolla LE for about $23k.

Honda, Toyota, Subaru? Pretty much always fix for as long as you like/want the car.

Chevy Traverse? Get out as fast as possible and get yourself another Honda.

Had bad luck with a Toyota and a Honda. Toyota was a rattle trap that i took back in 3 times and they could not figure out what was wrong. My wife's Honda timing chain went out right after warranty and they would not budge, we got it fixed and the trans went, again right out of warranty. Bad luck I guess.

Bought a Fusion in 2016 that i really did not want but the price was right and it was loaded. Have 130K on it now with just routine stuff like brakes so hopefully it will last a couple more years.

The Civic Sport is only $25k. You could also look at the Corolla LE for about $23k.

Vehicle in transit -
Fill out form to check for actual availability :lol:

my last car had 130k on it, hit an issue where repair would have cost me between 3500 - 4000. way more than the car was worth. that was the final straw for me.

i traded it in for what the dealer would give me and bought a new used car. that was 7 years ago so the prices were reasonable.

2 years ago (early covid) my wife traded her car in and bought new. we recently went comparison shopping because i'm considering a new vehicle here soon and we found that her car, same year, but with more miles costs MORE used today than what she paid new 2 years ago.

it's wild out there.

my last car had 130k on it, hit an issue where repair would have cost me between 3500 - 4000. way more than the car was worth. that was the final straw for me.

i traded it in for what the dealer would give me and bought a new used car. that was 7 years ago so the prices were reasonable.

2 years ago (early covid) my wife traded her car in and bought new. we recently went comparison shopping because i'm considering a new vehicle here soon and we found that her car, same year, but with more miles costs MORE used today than what she paid new 2 years ago.

it's wild out there.
Yeah, it's nuts. The F150 I bought new exactly one year ago this week is worth about 2K more than I paid for it.

Lifelong car guy here. My advise…..The Chevy has lived its useful life, at this point you will be chasing repairs on it the rest of your ownership of it. Time to move on an let someone else deal with the headache. Buy another Honda or Toyota that will run to 200 relatively trouble free. As you noted, while the used market is more agressive then it has typically been, there are still good deals out there for yr or 2 old models with low mileage. Your peace of mind on the daily commute plus the huge advancements in creature comforts on a 2020 vs 2009 car is well worth it imo (Assuming you can afford the monthly which it sounds like you can).

it's wild out there.
Yeah, it's nuts. The F150 I bought new exactly one year ago this week is worth about 2K more than I paid for it.

Any details? I bought a 2021 F-150 as well, just curious what you got.

it's wild out there.

It's the SuperCrew 4x4 XL with the STX package. Has the 5.0L V8 engine. White with black interior.

it's wild out there.

It's the SuperCrew 4x4 XL with the STX package. Has the 5.0L V8 engine. White with black interior.
Take it to the I live in the suburbs but needed a big truck to pick up groceries thread@#@!#@!

it's wild out there.

Take it to the I live in the suburbs but needed a big truck to pick up groceries thread@#@!#@!
I need the "I live in the suburbs but needed a big truck because I'm a moron that likes to spoil myself" thread. Can't find it anywhere.

21 SCREW XLT 302A, 4x4, 5.0 black with black interior - it had 4k miles and I got it about $6k off sticker, traded in my 18 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road w/42k miles on it.

Agree with getting rid of the traverse - donate it if it needs a lot of repairs. Don’t know how old your daughter is, but if she’s still in high school, you can probably get by using her or your wife’s car for work, until prices cool down.

I'm of a mind that in a normal car market, sell when the car's >100k miles and you're looking at repairs $2k or >. This stupid market makes the decision much more difficult. We're coming up on the holiday season and end of year, if dealers have any new inventory in December you may be able to wrangle a deal. I say wait, drive the Chevy as little as possible and try your luck new in 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread