What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AZ blocked kick returned for a TD (1 Viewer)

Arizona scores a TD on a blocked FG - does your league rule it a Defensive TD or a Special Teams TD?

• It counts as a DEFENSIVE TD in my league

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It counts as a SPECIAL TEAMS TD in my league.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

_4_

Footballguy
So in your league, how are points awarded on this play? If you are in an IDP league - obviously Hood gets the points. If you are in a standard league starting a team defense, do you give AZ 6 points?

So in your league, how are points awarded on this play? If you are in an IDP league - obviously Hood gets the points. If you are in a standard league starting a team defense, do you give AZ 6 points?
We use D/ST as one entity. So it's a blocked FG and TD for Arizona's Def & ST (same unit in our league).

So you DO NOT award points for a touchdown on a blocked FG?
Why wouldn't you?
Excellent question.The rationale I am told is that it is a Special Teams TD, not a Defensive Team TD. Say Reggie Bush scores on a punt return - the owner with Bush gets the points, not the team with the Saints D. The argument I guess being that it is an offensive play once the Saints receive the ball. I think a block is absolutely a Defensive play and as a result, the team blocking the kick (AZ today) that scores a TD should get the defensive points. It is NOT clarified in the rules which is unfortunate and will be addressed in the off season.

Why wouldn't you?
Excellent question.The rationale I am told is that it is a Special Teams TD, not a Defensive Team TD. Say Reggie Bush scores on a punt return - the owner with Bush gets the points, not the team with the Saints D. The argument I guess being that it is an offensive play once the Saints receive the ball. I think a block is absolutely a Defensive play and as a result, the team blocking the kick (AZ today) that scores a TD should get the defensive points. It is NOT clarified in the rules which is unfortunate and will be addressed in the off season.
I would say it's a returned kick, thus a special teams play.

First off, it's a ridiculous distinction to be made.

That being said, once a foot makes contact with the ball, it should then be considered a Special Teams play, IMO, for both sides of the ball.

Why wouldn't you?
Do you have IDP?? If not Hood isn't available in your league and the score should go to the the AZ Defense

So in your league, how are points awarded on this play?
It depends on what the league rules say. :thumbup: One league I'm in, rule states those points would go to the Team D.Another league I'm in, rule states those points would go to the Special Teams.

Twilight said:
First off, it's a ridiculous distinction to be made.That being said, once a foot makes contact with the ball, it should then be considered a Special Teams play, IMO, for both sides of the ball.
This is spot on.These issues vanish completely if one simple rule is followed: both sides operate as Special Teams the instant a ball is actually kicked (kickoff, punt, placekick).

Twilight said:
First off, it's a ridiculous distinction to be made.That being said, once a foot makes contact with the ball, it should then be considered a Special Teams play, IMO, for both sides of the ball.
I think our rule follows the general rule, which may be the NFL rule (not sure)... it's a defensive play until the kick passes the line of scrimmage, at which point it becomes special teams. Doesn't matter what formation they're in... same thing happens on a fake FG attempt, in some leagues, only points scored against a Defense count against you, while points scored against the offense (INT for a TD) or special teams (punt return TD) don't count. In those leagues, people always argue the special teams unit was on the field for a fake kick and they points shouldn't score, which is why the specificity of the rule is needed. DT until the kick passes the line, after that, ST.

Users who are viewing this thread