What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AZ Radio: Cards offer Warner deal-likely to accept (1 Viewer)

SammyJankis

Footballguy
This is admittedly third hand information, but was posted on another board by a friend of mine I work with. This is per "Cardinals Insider" Mike Jurecki on local Phoenix radio:

According to MJ, the Cardinals have offered Warner a 3 year deal that would be about $5 million a year. Warner is asking for about $7 million a year. MJ believes that Warner will eventually sign that deal.However MJ said that Warner is requesting that the Cardinals guarantee him that if he signs, they will use the money left over to pursue quality free agents. Specifically ones to help shore up the Offensive line.MJ believes that Warner will be signed before the start of Free Agency.

Wow, good for him if he can get a 3 year $15 mill deal. I guess the most important question is how much will AZ commit to him upfront? For a guy that will be 35 at the start of 2006 and has played in only 30 games since 2001 that is a pretty good deal. FWIW, Warner's TD/INT ratio over that time is 21:25.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm Steve McNair/Chad Pennington/Kerry Collins, etc...I'm paying close attention to Warner's contract. $5 million per? :lmao:

Warner is asking for $7m per?

Is he insane?
Just negotiation, that's all. A lot also depends on the signing bonus. Bledsoe got a 3 year, $14M deal with the Cowboys, but only $2M guaranteed.

Cardinals Agree To Terms With Quarterback Kurt Warner

2/14/2006

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced that the team has agreed to terms with quarterback Kurt Warner on a three-year contract. In accordance with club policy, terms were not disclosed.

The 34-year old Warner (6-2, 219) started 10 games for the Cardinals in 2005, completing 242 passes on 375 attempts (64.5%) for 2,713 yards, 11 touchdowns and 9 interceptions. His 64.5% completion percentage set a new team, breaking the previous record set by Steve Beuerlein (61.7%) in 1993.

Warner’s 85.8 quarterback rating last season was the best QB rating for a Cardinals signal caller since Neil Lomax in 1988 (86.7) and his five 300+ passing games in 2005 led the NFL and were the most 300+ passing games he has had since his NFL MVP season of 2001.

Warner has authored one of the greatest success stories in NFL history. After first playing in the Arena Football League and NFL Europe, he went onto star for the St. Louis Rams and was twice selected as the league’s Most Valuable Player (1999 and 2001). A three-time Pro Bowl selection, he was also named the MVP of Super Bowl XXXIV by leading the Rams to a win over the Tennessee Titans.

After spending the 1998-2003 seasons with St. Louis, he played the 2004 season with the New York Giants appearing in 10 games (nine starts) with the Giants. The former Northern Iowa product has appeared in 73 games (69 starts) over his eight seasons in the NFL and has passed for 19,214 yards and 119 touchdowns. His completion percentage of 65.7 (1,537-2,340) is the highest ever in the NFL and his quarterback rating of 94.1 is second in NFL history among quarterbacks who have thrown at least 1,500 passes (Steve Young, 96.8).

http://www.azcardinals.com

If I'm Steve McNair/Chad Pennington/Kerry Collins, etc...I'm paying close attention to Warner's contract. $5 million per? :lmao:
Im betting that 3rd year is 8mil+
I never get why players sign deals like that with unreasonable back ends. It looks good on paper, but that's all it will ever be.

I never get why players sign deals like that with unreasonable back ends. It looks good on paper, but that's all it will ever be.
I think it's mainly for the agents so that they can tell prospective clients that they inked a huge contract for a washed up QB.

Sometimes, I think it's to force a team to either pay a guy a lot, or release him, allowing him to test the FA market. It doesn't make much sense for an older guy like Warner, but I can see it for the younger guys. The salary cap increases a lot each year, and by backloading a contract, it ensures that a player won't be underpaid in those years. If he's overpaid, that's not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread