What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"B" Movies (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I watched Last Man on Earth (1964 Vincent Price) last night.  I thought it was pretty good.  Later versions were I am Legend and Omega Man.  I also watched Tarantula (1955).  It was OK, but not great.  I've also ripped the following movies off Youtube and burned them to disk.  I haven't watched these yet.  The Snow Creature (1954), Spider Baby (1967), Jason and the Argonauts (1963), The tomb of the Ligeia (1964), Horror of Dracula (1958), Day the world ended (1955), Plan 9 from outer space (1958, hear it's so bad you have to watch it), The Bat (1959), Attack of the 50 foot woman (1958, saw it when I was a kid), Invaders from Mars (1953 color), Earth vs Spider (1958), Destination Moon (1950), Red Planet Mars (1952), Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957).

Others of note that I have seen are the Blob (1958, seen both original and the one from the 80s, both not bad) and Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954, very good "B" movie).  I prefer sci-fi and horror movies from the 50s and 60s, but there were several made in the 80s that are popular.  I bought Tarantula (saw it) and that disk also has The Mole People, The incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters, and Monster on the Campus, all of which I haven't seen yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I like about the old B movies is that they usually run between 1:15 and 1:40 and that makes it easier to watch a double feature.

I've seen quite a few sci-fi from the 50's and 60's. Them! and The Forbidden Planet are my favorites. The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Thing from Another World are also good. You've already seen most others I would suggest.

I've seen quite a few sci-fi from the 50's and 60's. Them! and The Forbidden Planet are my favorites. The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Thing from Another World are also good. You've already seen most others I would suggest.
Oh yes, I’ve got to see “Them”.  The complete movie isn’t on YouTube so I can’t rip it.  I’ll buy it when I see it.

Would the original Little Shop of Horrors (Roger Corman's version starring Jack Nicholson, 1960) would fit that bill as well?

Where I grew up I watched Thriller 18 and Terror in the Night.  There was also Shock Theatre on Saturday afternoon.

There are a lot of excellent b film noirs:

Detour, Stranger on the Third Floor and The Narrow Margin.

If you list a movie try to list the year it was released.

Them! Released in USA, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Finland in 1954. Released in France and Belgium in 1955. Portugal and Argentina in 1956. Denmark in 1959. West Germany in 1960. Released in Spain in 1962 and Sweden in 1970. TV premiere was in 1974. Released on DVD in 2003. The director was born in 1907. Lead actor born in 1921 and lead actress born in 1930.

I enjoy watching these outside in the Summer on a big screen in the back yard with friends,  fire, food, and drink.  I hang a big screen from the bottom of my deck and bought a soundbar to emulate the drive-in experience. 

I remember Them! and love it still

sports_fan said:
Them! Released in USA, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Finland in 1954. Released in France and Belgium in 1955. Portugal and Argentina in 1956. Denmark in 1959. West Germany in 1960. Released in Spain in 1962 and Sweden in 1970. TV premiere was in 1974. Released on DVD in 2003. The director was born in 1907. Lead actor born in 1921 and lead actress born in 1930.
What about the lead ant?

I watched Last Man on Earth (1964 Vincent Price) last night.  I thought it was pretty good.  Later versions were I am Legend and Omega Man.  I also watched Tarantula (1955).  It was OK, but not great.  I've also ripped the following movies off Youtube and burned them to disk.  I haven't watched these yet.  The Snow Creature (1954), Spider Baby (1967), Jason and the Argonauts (1963), The tomb of the Ligeia (1964), Horror of Dracula (1958), Day the world ended (1955), Plan 9 from outer space (1958, hear it's so bad you have to watch it), The Bat (1959), Attack of the 50 foot woman (1958, saw it when I was a kid), Invaders from Mars (1953 color), Earth vs Spider (1958), Destination Moon (1950), Red Planet Mars (1952), Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957).

Others of note that I have seen are the Blob (1958, seen both original and the one from the 80s, both not bad) and Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954, very good "B" movie).  I prefer sci-fi and horror movies from the 50s and 60s, but there were several made in the 80s that are popular.  I bought Tarantula (saw it) and that disk also has The Mole People, The incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters, and Monster on the Campus, all of which I haven't seen yet.
Plan 9 is...well, yeah I guess. But I think that immedately after watching it you should absolutely watch Ed Wood. Great flick about the director behind Plan 9.

Seen 'em all, give me the Kevin Dillon version six days a week and twice on Sunday.

If you want schlocky horror - the Troma library is a treasure trove of b movie gems.

If you want some classic horror, the Hammer studio has an excellent range of movies. I personally recommend "4 sided triangle".

If you want to go through the current season of MST3k without the riffing, here's a list of the movies plus the year. I was fond of Atlantic Rim, made only 5 years ago.

Also, COMET TV (on the web, Roku, etc.) will surprise you with some pretty decent Bs.

If you want schlocky horror - the Troma library is a treasure trove of b movie gems.

If you want some classic horror, the Hammer studio has an excellent range of movies. I personally recommend "4 sided triangle".

If you want to go through the current season of MST3k without the riffing, here's a list of the movies plus the year. I was fond of Atlantic Rim, made only 5 years ago.

Also, COMET TV (on the web, Roku, etc.) will surprise you with some pretty decent Bs.
Thanks for sharing.  I already see some hammer movies on YouTube that I will rip and burn.   I'll checkout the others.  Thanks again.

Too bad. That's a collectors item. Could be worth $7 or $8 one day. Better not open it.
Lol, I just want to watch it and if it is new and unused that is a good thing. For $6 I don’t care if it’s bootleg or used.  All I know is the full movie isn’t on YouTube for ripping.

I watched Jason and the Argonauts (1963) last night.  I thought it was a good movie, well made.  Anyone else seen it?
I think I saw this as a kid (from Cleveland) either on the Prize Movie TV show which came on every week day and showed old movies or the Saturday movie show hosted by a guy called “Superhost”.  Both shows broadcasted lots of B movies.

Back to Jason...is there some type of a large soldier, like as tall as a skyscraper? Does some normal sized soldier open up some hole near his foot and water or blood come out? The large soldier crashes??? I have some type of memory of this but I am going back about 40 years or more. 

I think I saw this as a kid (from Cleveland) either on the Prize Movie TV show which came on every week day and showed old movies or the Saturday movie show hosted by a guy called “Superhost”.  Both shows broadcasted lots of B movies.

Back to Jason...is there some type of a large soldier, like as tall as a skyscraper?  YES  Does some normal sized soldier open up some hole near his foot and water or blood come out?  They tore open a compartment on his heel and blood, smoke, and fire come out.  This was his undoing.  The large soldier crashes??? I have some type of memory of this but I am going back about 40 years or more. 

I think I saw this as a kid (from Cleveland) either on the Prize Movie TV show which came on every week day and showed old movies or the Saturday movie show hosted by a guy called “Superhost”.  
Marty Sullivan Supe's On!  :thumbup:  . Mad Theater . The Moronic Woman,  Fat Whitman, Caboose Supe. After Ghoulardi left the best of Cleveland B Movie tv was Hoolihan and Big Chuck, and later, Big Check and Lil' John. Anyway, back to the movies -

House On Haunted Hill - 1959
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine - 1965
The Haunted Palace - 1963
It Came from beneath the Sea - 1955
Faster, #####cat! Kill! Kill! - 1965

Have seen most of what has been posted

Marty Sullivan Supe's On!  :thumbup:  . Mad Theater . The Moronic Woman,  Fat Whitman, Caboose Supe. After Ghoulardi left the best of Cleveland B Movie tv was Hoolihan and Big Chuck, and later, Big Check and Lil' John. Anyway, back to the movies -

House On Haunted Hill - 1959
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine - 1965
The Haunted Palace - 1963
It Came from beneath the Sea - 1955
Faster, #####cat! Kill! Kill! - 1965

Have seen most of what has been posted

With my age, I only saw Supe’s On and Big Chuck and Lil John. 

John Lanigan did the "Prize Movie" if you remember. he and Sullivan are still around, but retired
Definitely remember Lanigan and the Prize Movie. The Mystery movie clip was awesome whenever I saw someone win it! It’s funny thinking about all the people sending in post cards, calling them live on the air, etc.

I grew up on the far west side.

Basket Case (1982)  - all time great B horror movie.

Also found PIN (1988) to be pretty good.  "Isolated by his strange parents, Leon finds solace in an imaginary friend, which happens to be an anatomy doll from his father's doctor office. Unfortunately, the doll begins to take over Leon's life, and his sister's life as well."

I just watched "Them" and I must say it's one of the best "B" movies I've ever seen.  It has James Whitmore and James Arnes and a small part by Fess Parker.  Great movie and a must see.  Leonard Nimoy was in it but I missed it.   Also William Shallert, he was one of the guys in the ambulance that took the little girl early in the movie.  Lots of good stars in this movie.

Back to Jason...is there some type of a large soldier, like as tall as a skyscraper? Does some normal sized soldier open up some hole near his foot and water or blood come out? The large soldier crashes??? I have some type of memory of this but I am going back about 40 years or more. 
That would be Talos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgY9vgRcRw

Ray Harryhausen  :tebow:

Definitely remember Lanigan and the Prize Movie. The Mystery movie clip was awesome whenever I saw someone win it! It’s funny thinking about all the people sending in post cards, calling them live on the air, etc.

I grew up on the far west side.
Once in awhile "superhost" would fill in for Lanigan

Users who are viewing this thread