What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

B2...hit! Battleship sunk, now what? Major injury protocol (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
We sometimes go thru a mini PTSD when we sustain a big injury. Julio Jones this past week really sent shockwaves into a lot of owners. We've had other big injuries this season but think a lot of the Julio Jones owners were experiencing success, personally on the team I got him 5-0 at the moment. There are a slew of other good players on that team but this is no time to rest on your laurels so let's go thru the checklist of what I think you should do and then we can open this up for other ideas.

Sincerely everyone: Do not make this into the threads you see in the asst coach forum, that's not the intention. If anything I want us to all learn so we can ALL go over there and help others. The reason I am picking this is the fact JJ is the #1WR in FF, 5 weeks into the season, catastrophic for many owners but you can still march on. Other owners will have injuries as well, now is not the time to start crying, let's get a battle plan. All leagues will be unique but maybe something in here will trigger an idea for you to get some trade talk/waiver wire action going.

#1-Which position are you deep at? This has to be the first thing you do. Hoarding Peyton Manning and Phillip Rivers/Tony Romo might have felt good but now is the time to start thinking about letting the back up QB enter into the trade market. Maybe you had Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron in some leagues. It's possible you drafted 3-4 RBs that are all solid...Charles/Sproles/Moreno/L.Bell...it's possible you might have 4 decent RBs, good time to find a trade partner which leads me to my next point.

#2-Which teams have a need that matches what you have extra on the bench? Try to maneuver your bench before you start grabbing other starters to mix into a trade offer. We would all like to trade for player X but if the team you are trying to trade with doesn't have a need for the players you have to make a deal with, likely gonna be wasting your time. Try to go after the teams that are 1-4 right now, maybe 1-2 games out of the playoff race but the season is not quite over for them. You gotta find the team that has a WR(in this case) that you can trade for with the bench players you have. If you are 3-2/4-1, other owners that are doing well, likely cheering you if you sustain an injury, just the way it is. It will be hard to work a trade with another winning team, easier to go find owners down on their knees from grief so far this season.

#3-It's gotta be a win win for both sides. As a Commish I have seen so many trades fall apart because one of the two owners gets greedy. You gotta give to get. You can't typically make a trade without some risk. Yes, you are going to have to part with some depth to replace a starter. Thankfully you drafted deep because of all the time you spend here, go cash in that hard work.

#4-Check the waiver wire. This should probably be first not 4th. I have scooped up Keenan Allen, Terrence Williams, L.Bell, B.Powell, and a bunch of other decent guys on the WW at different points in the season. I'm not even suggesting you can replace a Julio Jones but yet there will be guys who scored higher than him this week(Keenan Allen) that you could grab and at least have an option with bye weeks in full swing.

My advice if you can is try and trade a QB2 if you have that luxury. It stinks having to decide between Cam Newton, Eli Manning, CK, Flacco, Dalton, Big Ben, Schaub...those owners have to be ripe for a possible upgrade at QB where they are getting whacked again and again. Still over half the season left, these owners are looking for help. My next trade piece is going to be a TE if you are lucky enough to have 2 of the following J.Thomas/J.Graham/J.Cameron/R.Gronk/V.Davis/Gates/Gonzo/Witten...if you have 2 of those then maybe trade one of them for an upgrade at wherever you are hurting. Most owners are putting up 10-12 a week at TE, a few are getting 20-30, major gap just like at QB. I find QB/TE centerpieces are easier to get RB/WR in return if that is where you are hurting.

Gap from TE1 to TE12...a lot...Gap from WR1 to WR12, not as much in fact 21 to 17 in PPR for WR, TE is 26ppg to 11. Package up those QB2/TE2 types and stop feeling sorry for yourself. You knew this was going to happen, that's why you drafted a deep bench and stopped drinking beer in the 3rd round when the rest of your league was ordering more pitchers. Start looking for those trade opps in your league. They're out there but you gotta put some effort into it.

I know this thread is kind of elementary for some, but I find it valuable to go thru a checklist when I have an injury and I am sure many of you have other comments to add. Please save the individual issues for the Asst Coach forum but if you want to incorporate something that happened to you with exact players, feel free to post that up as well. But we need to know how and why you did it, just the scoreboard-no good.

Happy hunting everyone and good luck.

Or just spend the rest of your blind bid money on Keenan Allen. :cool:
Certainly falls under #4. So lucky to have grabbed him last week and the week before that in several leagues. I am exited about his opp in SD but I do temper expectations because he is a rookie. Weeks 12, 13, 14...this kid is going to be exhausted but I love the gamble and the schedule helps a lot.

Find players on your bench who still have a solid name even if the numbers are not there.

Example: I have been letting Colston ride my bench for 2 weeks now, he still is the WR1 on a 5-0 Saints team that hasn't needed him. If you go back to 2012 and look at every one of his games, the numbers don't live up to his name, this would be a nice piece to put into a trade because it makes it look like you are giving something up that's good but in reality that guy has been underperforming for the better part of 1.5 seasons now. He has a lot of Under 12-15 PPG over his last 20 games. A couple big games as well which keeps his stats up.

LawFitz said:
Or just spend the rest of your blind bid money on Keenan Allen. :cool:
Not necessarily related to Allen, but it does bring up an important point.

While it sucks to lose a top shelf WR like Julio, at least there are lots of WRs that can at least give you some points on a weekly basis. Maybe not consistent high end points, but can more easily make up the difference than losing a stud RB or TE where the supply isn't nearly as plentiful.

Great ideas presented here regarding trades. I'm not a Julio owner, but I have a similar problem. Even though my team is 5-0, the writing is on the wall that tough times are coming. VJAX is my #2 wideout and can't find a trade partner for him. Stevie Johnson is my #3, and he's hobbling and lost his QB. My only other WR in that league is Nate Washington, and his lustre has dimmed as Locker is no longer the QB in Tennessee. I'd love to trade, but nobody wants to trade with the 5-0 team. I get no sympathy for my troubles, as I shouldn't.

This is a very competitive league, and the Keenan Allens and Terrance Williams are already long gone. There's nothing of immediate help to my starting lineup on the waiver wire. My team is trending down.

If anything, what I learned from all this was I hoarded way too many rent-a-defenses trying to map out my weeks ahead of time, while missing out on a lot of talent that was on the wire. But I missed my opportunity, became complacent. Fat, dumb and happy with my spotless record. Overconfidence is a killer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The league in which I lost Julio, were not allowed to trade (ffpc, $2500 buy-in) for fear of collusion I'm assuming (it's actually a very good idea). Luckily, I preemptively grabbed Allen and T. Williams last week, essentially for free but I'm kind of bummed that I can't trade my way out of this situation.

Great ideas presented here regarding trades. I'm not a Julio owner, but I have a similar problem. Even though my team is 5-0, the writing is on the wall that tough times are coming. VJAX is my #2 wideout and can't find a trade partner for him. Stevie Johnson is my #3, and he's hobbling and lost his QB. My only other WR in that league is Nate Washington, and his lustre has dimmed as Locker is no longer the QB in Tennessee. I'd love to trade, but nobody wants to trade with the 5-0 team. I get no sympathy for my troubles, as I shouldn't.

This is a very competitive league, and the Keenan Allens and Terrance Williams are already long gone. There's nothing of immediate help to my starting lineup on the waiver wire. My team is trending down.

If anything, what I learned from all this was I hoarded way too many rent-a-defenses trying to map out my weeks ahead of time, while missing out on a lot of talent that was on the wire. But I missed my opportunity, became complacent. Fat, dumb and happy with my spotless record. Overconfidence is a killer.
I think once you have your bonafide starters at QB-RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-TE there is a tendency to let up but in fact just the opposite should occur. Nothing better than a guy blowing up on your bench that has owners interested.

I think it is pretty awesome of you that you recognize an area you want to improve in and are not afraid to talk about it.

Really getting tired of ridiculous trade offers. I always scan the other teams for strengths and weaknesses before making an offer. Just seems like common sense.

Worst one was yesterday. Guy offers me Jerome Simpson, Santonio Holmes and Dwayne Bowe for Trent Richardson. My team lacks RB depth so I'd be starting Andre Ellington to cover byes, and I'm already loaded at WR. I wouldn't drop anyone for those guys if they were on waivers.

As bummed as I was hearing I'd lost my best WR for the year, I felt reassured knowing that it would be easier to find a capable replacement at WR than it would have been if I had lost AP. Obviously, there are no equals to Julio on the waiver wire. I was able to pick up Miles Austin who had been dropped by a 1-4 owner who no longer had the patience to wait out his hammy issues. Allen, V. Brown, and T. Williams were long gone as was Percy Harvin (who probably has the most potential to replace Julio). If you're sitting at 5-0 or even 4-1, Crabtree might be worth stashing as well. Harbaugh said he should be ready to roll come week 11. You could do worse.

Users who are viewing this thread