What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad Officiating - Discuss (1 Viewer)

Couple of fun ones from the Bills game today:

-Bills get called for OPI when the defender very obviously just slips and falls on his own: https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/29/16567272/watch-awful-penalty-robs-bills-of-scoring-opportunity

-No offsides call despite the defender being very obviously offsides (first offensive snap for the Bills): https://twitter.com/darwal8817/status/924692953389502466
It had no effect on the game outcome but in the Eagles Niners game, there was a 49er defender with his hand down well past the ball. Half his arm was on the other side of that line they put on TV. I was wondering how the 2 refs watching the LOS could miss that? That's like their only job.

I'm very confused by the Miller call.  I only saw it from three angles, but I didn't see the ball clearly hit the ground or him lose possession.  He has it in his hands when he rolls over.  NFL owes a major explanation here.

Get Well Soon Zach. 
I've only seen a youtube replay. But from it, looked like the ball moves when he hit the ground.  Hand on the bottom of the ball holding it against his shoulder, then hits the ground and the ball ends up in his stomach and he's holding at least the middle or other end of it.  Would help seeing more frames than can get from that particular video though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only seen a youtube replay. But from it, looked like the ball moves when he hit the ground.  Hand on the bottom of the ball holding it against his shoulder, then hits the ground and the ball ends up in his stomach and he's holding at least the middle or other end of it.  Would help seeing more frames than can get from that particular video though.
I'm not sure I want to risk watching any of that replay again :X

It had no effect on the game outcome but in the Eagles Niners game, there was a 49er defender with his hand down well past the ball. Half his arm was on the other side of that line they put on TV. I was wondering how the 2 refs watching the LOS could miss that? That's like their only job.
Wow!  That's bad.  That's how the Bear's got called for offsides on a FG that ended up leading to a TD instead.  It was the right call in the Bear's game though.

At the game on the big screen it looked like the point of the ball squeezed out Miller's arm and hit the turf.

Eh another oddity from the Bears/Saints game was a phantom face mask call on 3rd around the 5 which led to the Bears' line TD once they were put on the 1.

Any Bears fans or others watching see that actual face mask?

heckmanm said:
GregR said:
I'm not sure I want to risk watching any of that replay again :X
Yes, it was gruesome. :(

Hope he's able to fully recover.

At the game on the big screen it looked like the point of the ball squeezed out Miller's arm and hit the turf.

Eh another oddity from the Bears/Saints game was a phantom face mask call on 3rd around the 5 which led to the Bears' line TD once they were put on the 1.

That one I saw and posted about in the game thread.  #32 was in coverage and looked like he got his hands into the receiver's face in the first five yards, based on how the receiver's head went back.  Ref definitely threw the flag at that point and in that spot.

Play proceeded and #43 only got involved on the tackle later after the flag was out.  Ref announced facemask on #43.  Should have been hands to the face on #32.   Same result either way.

That one I saw and posted about in the game thread.  #32 was in coverage and looked like he got his hands into the receiver's face in the first five yards, based on how the receiver's head went back.  Ref definitely threw the flag at that point and in that spot.

Play proceeded and #43 only got involved on the tackle later after the flag was out.  Ref announced facemask on #43.  Should have been hands to the face on #32.   Same result either way.
Thanks. - It sounds like he got the wrong player and the wrong call. There's been a lot of discussion around here about that one.

I saw Trubisky get rocked in the face helmet to helmet on 2 point conversion and no call. 

Yeah, I believe you. We were near Bears fans and TBH no one was very happy with the reffing throughout the game.
Bears got screwed in the Vikings game, too. The margin of error is so small right now. If a scoring play or two is taken away, the Bears are in trouble. But it's been universally terrible this year.  I can't imagine anyone but the Pats and Packers are very happy about it. 

Notice the helmet to helmet hit on Trubisky. Refs fail again https://t.co/CLHsIaWyKa
The bears can compete in most games as constructed, however they have absolutely no margin for error. A bad call, dropped td, missed fg dooms them.  That's the nature of playing Fox's brand of football, make the other team make the mistakes..but if you do, you are consumed by the quick sand.

You know things are bad when the two former heads of officiating are coming out and ripping the obvious change in instant replay standard: LINK

The NFL sucks and Jerry Jones sees it happening. Wants a change. That's why he has the most successful sports franchise in the world. 

I swear the ref on field was laughing at the overturned “complete the process” catch at the end of the half tonight. 

I swear the ref on field was laughing at the overturned “complete the process” catch at the end of the half tonight. 
Missed the game tonight, just getting in....from Twitter I see it's now possible to catch the ball, run 18 feet (6 yards), fumble, and have it ruled an incomplete pass?

Did I miss anything?

Missed the game tonight, just getting in....from Twitter I see it's now possible to catch the ball, run 18 feet (6 yards), fumble, and have it ruled an incomplete pass?

Did I miss anything?
Same play as Dez or Zach Miller except the ball actually hit the ground with Ellington.

Did I miss anything?
Actually you can catch a pass, run 99 yards, cross the goal line, fall down, fumble and it becomes an incomplete pass as long as you are not touched on the way down according to this play.

Now if the ball was handed to you, it's a TD.

Thoughts on the Bears challenging that their runner scored a TD and instead losing the ball on a fumble out of the end zone?

Seems a bit harsh that you challenge and the outcome is way worse than if you didn’t. 

Thoughts on the Bears challenging that their runner scored a TD and instead losing the ball on a fumble out of the end zone?

Seems a bit harsh that you challenge and the outcome is way worse than if you didn’t. 
I thought the whole situation sucked.  I thought his foot was out of bounds before the ball came loose.  I don't see any argument that the ball came out before it hit the pylon though.

I really dislike the rule that a fumble out of the end zone is a touch back.  I think it should be still be their ball at the one yard line.

I thought the whole situation sucked.  I thought his foot was out of bounds before the ball came loose.  I don't see any argument that the ball came out before it hit the pylon though.

I really dislike the rule that a fumble out of the end zone is a touch back.  I think it should be still be their ball at the one yard line.
It was. They totally missed that. Horrible call but if it helps John Fox out the door, it's good for the NFL.

The rule about what a catch is needs to be changed back to what it was before the geniuses in the NFL "tweaked" it. There is no consistency anymore... 
They are already making horrible calls so they may as well put it back the way it was and make judgment calls on 'did he have possession long enough'. Last week a guy caches it, turns takes steps (a football move) falls down on his own and loses the ball - incomplete. This week the exact same thing happened in the EZ, no one touched him, TOUCHDOWN!!!!

I fully agree. I posted this in the "when coaches make bad decisions" thread:

I could see spotting it on the 1, or half the distance to the goal from where the play started, or backing them up to the 20, but loss of possession is just stupid. Sometimes I think about the hypothetical if I was from London and just watching my first football game, which rules would I find most asinine? This is definitely one of them. On that tangent, I am fine with the rule, but if I were new to the sport I'd probably find the 1 knee = 2 feet rule to be pretty odd. The Calvin Johnson rule would be mind boggling. If it looks like a catch, it should be a catch. The Brady tuck rule is similarly odd. If it looks like a fumble, it should be a fumble. 

This is essentially the same situation as with ASJ against NE. As soon as the ball came out of his hand, getting both hands on the football again right away does not re-establish possession. He needed to go through the same process as making a catch (a dumb rule but the rule none the less). So he needed to secure the ball, get both feet or a knee in bounds. and maintain full possession of the ball through hitting the ground. From the replay, it appears the ball started coming out before his foot hit out of bounds, although they could esily have just let the call on the field stand.

I talk to more and more people every day who have quit watching the NFL for a variety of reasons. I never thought I would see it. 

I talk to more and more people every day who have quit watching the NFL for a variety of reasons. I never thought I would see it. 
Same here, we used to have weekly gatherings that were a blast, food, drinks, etc. but no one wants to do it anymore. 

I still enjoy the games but can do without all the other crap... 

On the other hand, if the officials had invoked that rule, they almost certainly would have had to stop the clock to determine where to spot it.  The Steelers wouldn't have had to spike the ball as they did and waste a down.
Maybe. I don't think it's worth getting into that stuff. The bottom line is that we always discuss poor spots being one or two yards off and here referees were sooo not close. Yardage wise it's probably the worst spot of the year

Keeps getting worse with no end in sight. They don't really care either
You couldn't be more wrong about this.

If you've ever been around or talked to a ref that made a big mistake in a game you'd know what an idiot you are.  Refs take it real hard when they screw up.  Lose sleep, sick to their stomach for days/weeks.  I botched a play in a mid-level Division II game this year and lost sleep all week, had 3 phone calls discussing the play and could barely eat.  We take this stuff really seriously.  If you have a problem with a rule the way it is written, fine, but don't act like the refs don't care.  For most of them, it is who they are and their life and they have made a lot of sacrifices to get to the NFL.

You couldn't be more wrong about this.

If you've ever been around or talked to a ref that made a big mistake in a game you'd know what an idiot you are.  Refs take it real hard when they screw up.  Lose sleep, sick to their stomach for days/weeks.  I botched a play in a mid-level Division II game this year and lost sleep all week, had 3 phone calls discussing the play and could barely eat.  We take this stuff really seriously.  If you have a problem with a rule the way it is written, fine, but don't act like the refs don't care.  For most of them, it is who they are and their life and they have made a lot of sacrifices to get to the NFL.
Ah nice. When you call someone an idiot for having a different opinion than your own, you reveal your true character and the type of person you are. Move along. No reason to interact with me further. 

Micah Hyde never even touched the player and got called for a personal foul (ref never even specified what the personal foul was for, just the player it was on). LINK

That was right up there with Jerry Hughes getting a personal foul called on him against the Pats a couple of years ago when he smacked his own guy in the helmet after a play to congratulate his teammate for making a good play, like.

Micah Hyde never even touched the player and got called for a personal foul (ref never even specified what the personal foul was for, just the player it was on). LINK

That was right up there with Jerry Hughes getting a personal foul called on him against the Pats a couple of years ago when he smacked his own guy in the helmet after a play to congratulate his teammate for making a good play, like.
What was that play a couple years ago where a defender was called for illegal blow to the head, but someone posted a pic where you can clearly see he's hitting the runner's shoulder? I think the Giants were involved somehow. Trying to find it online but not sure what search term to use.

Okay, this is probably the wrong thread, but I couldn't find an active thread for sports announcers.

Anyway, on the radio call for the Ravens/Texans game, Boomer Esiason launched into a random mini-rant against referees and Dean Blandino. It went something like this:

"If there's one thing that I know, it's what a catch looks like.....unlike Dean Blandino. [imitates Blandino's voice] 'It's a catch, no it's not, yes it is, no it's not'. Sheesh!"

Boomer is normally fairly mild and politically correct when he's doing color work, so it seemed a little out of character for him. But pretty funny. And true.

Pats / Dolphins .... Dion Lewis takes the handoff, Suh is being blocked and reaches out with one arm ... grabs Lewis by the facemask, Lewis' head twists around as his body continues forward. Legs finally go out from under him as Suh pulls his face to the turf.

No flag.

:shock:

Link: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21573548

Users who are viewing this thread