What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

bad vibes for T Romo and Cowboys offense? (1 Viewer)

bluewings

Footballguy
Last year pre season reports were wildly positive about Romo in Camp and the Cowboy passing game. best camp, on track with Wr's etc.. I don't have links just remember I got a very positive vibe for Romo last Pre season and was glad to have him as my #2 qb in start 2 qb league

This season not so much positive about this offense in preseason except that Dez Bryant is catching everything

1) back surgery that kept Romo from practice for a couple of months, supposed to be a simple thing but it took a long time for him to come back

2) Callahan calling plays from the booth, Callahan was a disaster in NEB and for the Raiders

3) injuries to offensive line and to Dunbar back -up RB

4) Romo expected to help call plays more

5) eh pre-eseason performance by Romo so far

6) rookie Wr not panning out

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year pre season reports were wildly positive about Romo in Camp and the Cowboy passing game. best camp, on track with Wr's etc.. I don't have links just remember I got a very positive vibe for Romo last Pre season and was glad to have him as my #2 qb in start 2 qb league

This season not so much positive about this offense in preseason except that Dez Bryant is catching everything

1) back surgery that kept Romo from practice for a couple of months, supposed to be a simple thing but it took a long time for him to come back

2) Callahan calling plays from the booth, Callahan was a disaster in NEB and for the Raiders

Any thoughts?
You mention injuries to the OL. Not an issue because the injuries are to the crappy linemen. We just replaced them with crappier linemen.

As I can tell, we have one good tackle and a promising rookie we took 2 rounds early. Everything else is crap, and Romo is going to get killed.

FWIW

Any thoughts?
You mention injuries to the OL. Not an issue because the injuries are to the crappy linemen. We just replaced them with crappier linemen.

As I can tell, we have one good tackle and a promising rookie we took 2 rounds early. Everything else is crap, and Romo is going to get killed.

FWIW
You on the team?

For the first time in a long time, I think there are a ton of attractive options on the Cowboy O. For a while now the only guy I've had on my radar was Witten. I'm adding QB, 2 WR, and RB this year.

Any thoughts?

FWIW
You on the team?
Nope. I'm a fan. Fans routinely identify with their team and use "we."

Hope that clears it up for you. If not, I'd be happy to hold your hand and walk you through this in more detail.

Any thoughts?
1) I guess it's an X-factor but he's practicing, playing and I haven't heard about any flare ups so I'm not worried about it.

2) Callahan was not a disaster for the Raiders. He became offensive coordinator in 1999 and took a team that ranked 18th in yards and 22nd in points to 5th & 8th, 6th & 3rd, 7th & 4th, 1st & 2nd before the wheels fell off in '03. And Rich Gannon was a fantasy monster during that run.

3a) The O-line concerns me but it has been a pretty bad line for a few years now (likely no better than it is now) and that hasn't hurt Romo. He has the mobility to mitigate a weak line.

3b) Injuries to the RBs are only going to help Romo because they will need to rely on his arm more (and possibly increase his chances for a few goal line plunges).

4) Not sure why that would be bad. And I think he will be able to audible a lot more not necessarily call plays.

5) Who cares?

6) He hasn't needed more than one top notch WR (T.O., Austin for his brief run and now Bryant) and Witten in the past to produce top notch numbers so why is it a concern now?

if you are going to judge preseason performance, the 3rd game is all that really matters so I would wait for that.

Any thoughts?
1) I guess it's an X-factor but he's practicing, playing and I haven't heard about any flare ups so I'm not worried about it.

2) Callahan was not a disaster for the Raiders. He became offensive coordinator in 1999 and took a team that ranked 18th in yards and 22nd in points to 5th & 8th, 6th & 3rd, 7th & 4th, 1st & 2nd before the wheels fell off in '03. And Rich Gannon was a fantasy monster during that run.

3a) The O-line concerns me but it has been a pretty bad line for a few years now (likely no better than it is now) and that hasn't hurt Romo. He has the mobility to mitigate a weak line.

3b) Injuries to the RBs are only going to help Romo because they will need to rely on his arm more (and possibly increase his chances for a few goal line plunges).

4) Not sure why that would be bad. And I think he will be able to audible a lot more not necessarily call plays.

5) Who cares?

6) He hasn't needed more than one top notch WR (T.O., Austin for his brief run and now Bryant) and Witten in the past to produce top notch numbers so why is it a concern now?
Wait, wat? Update: rib injury, punctured lung, broken clavicle, back injury, hand injury in the past two years.

No, the OL has been bad for a few years and it most certainly has hurt Romo.

For the first time in a long time, I think there are a ton of attractive options on the Cowboy O. For a while now the only guy I've had on my radar was Witten. I'm adding QB, 2 WR, and RB this year.
You're a little late to the party on the QB. He has been putting up very good to great fantasy numbers for years now.

I'm not sold on Austin though, he has really pulled a disappearing act the past couple seasons. Maybe his hamstrings are just shot.

Any thoughts?

5) Who cares?

Wait, wat? Update: rib injury, punctured lung, broken clavicle, back injury, hand injury in the past two years.

No, the OL has been bad for a few years and it most certainly has hurt Romo.
He's played 32 games the past two years averaging about 4,500 yards and 30 TDs. I think you are talking about 3 years ago when he missed 10 games with the clavicle/lung. Sometimes the QB just gets nailed, happened to Brady.

I am not suggesting that he has Manning like durability but you really cannot question the guy's toughness.

As for Romo's back surgery, it was to remove a cyst. Not a serious thing like a disk fusion or other limiting problem. And he has looked fine both from a movement and throwing perspective in pre-season.

There are several QBs in his tier. And if you want to go those other places, then fine. But to ding him for having a cyst removed is stretching the negativity quite a bit far.

If you watched from week 11 through the preseason and paid attention to what Dez has been doing then you should be drooling over his fantasy potential this year. The dude has been unstoppable. Now I am not sure how the team side of things shakes out for the Cowboys but I just know the Romo to Dez connection has worked itself out and the dude looks like a monster right now. IMO he should be the 2nd wideout off the board.

Apart from a flurry of fumbles that killed scoring drives, I thought the Dallas offense looked quite good against Arizona this past game. Dez is a beast. Austin, in contrast to the past two years, looks healthy, fast and ready to play (did you see him level that safety?). My worry is regarding Witten. In past years, they have kept him in to block when the line needs more help protecting Romo. He is a fantastic blocker. If the line has really gotten worse, I could see a dropoff with Witten happening.

As for Romo's back surgery, it was to remove a cyst. Not a serious thing like a disk fusion or other limiting problem. And he has looked fine both from a movement and throwing perspective in pre-season.

There are several QBs in his tier. And if you want to go those other places, then fine. But to ding him for having a cyst removed is stretching the negativity quite a bit far.
I wasn't referring to the cyst, but some fuzzy memory of him getting creamed and sustaining a back injury a few years back. Using the Google machine, I can't find it, so I'll rescind that one. But, anyone suggesting Romo hasn't had injury problems as a direct result of that sieve of an OL isn't watching very closely, if at all.

Any thoughts?
There have actually been fewer injuries on the O-line than there were in preseason last year. Plus, Frederick is a significant upgrade at center. They won't be good, but serviceable is within the realm of possible.

So far in preseason action, Romo is 13-18 for 230 yards and no INT. Not sure how that qualifies as "eh". No TDs, but that's largely because his last two drives against ARI ended with fumbles (by others) deep in Cardinal territory.

Dez looks like an absolute monster and Austin has been healthy (knock on wood). Witten hasn't broken his spleen so far. Murray's healthy so far.

Not sure where the pessimism (relative to last season) is coming from.

Any thoughts?
Romo threw the ball well...they had too many fumbles after the catch

I see no reason that Dallas will not put up strong fantasy numbers. They had an even more carppy line last year...Murray was hurt much of last year.

I just am not worried about them.

Any thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) He is fine imo. There was some speculation about his health from Rich Gosselin a few weeks back, but nothing else since. He passes the eyeball test to me as of now.

2) Callahan's Raiders were one of the top scoring teams the year he coached. Can he be any worse then Garrett?

3) O-line is a concern for us Cowboy fans. We realize Romo is better then the National choker label he gets. Give him time and he can be lethal. The line is very week at Guard, no arguments there. They are 3rd Quartile Oline imo.

4) Not understanding this point at all. The coachspeak about this revolves around 2 things. Pre-game planning, Romo will be involved in coaching meetings. Secondly, Dallas ran a lethal hurry up offense last year where Romo would obviously call all the plays. Cowboys nation have been screaming for some time now to let Romo run a fast pace offense where he runs the show. Hopefully there will be more of this happening.

5) They have moved the ball well through the air. Struggled a bit on the ground. They have tons of weapons, he looks like good value to me at his current ADP.

6) Terrance has been nicked up a bit, but overall he is receiving great reviews from Dez and Witten through the media. He looks like the WR3 to me. He is significantly more talented then last year's Kevin Ogletree at the same spot.

Overall hard not to like Romo producing good to great fantasy numbers. He is one of the safer picks at QB imo.

Apart from Bryant, I like lots of the Cowboys position guys give good returns on their current ADPs.

I wasn't referring to the cyst, but some fuzzy memory of him getting creamed and sustaining a back injury a few years back. Using the Google machine, I can't find it, so I'll rescind that one. But, anyone suggesting Romo hasn't had injury problems as a direct result of that sieve of an OL isn't watching very closely, if at all.
I love the "if you disagree with me you must not be watching" refrain. It would be nice if Romo had a great o-line but he doesn't now and hasn't for the past few years (and I am not sure this line is a downgrade from years past) and he performs at a high level every year. Not sure what more you want.

Aaron Rogers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Cam Newton and Matthew Stafford look to have mediocre o-lines (at best) this year, are you discounting them the same way?

I love the "if you disagree with me you must not be watching" refrain. It would be nice if Romo had a great o-line but he doesn't now and hasn't for the past few years (and I am not sure this line is a downgrade from years past) and he performs at a high level every year. Not sure what more you want.Aaron Rogers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Cam Newton and Matthew Stafford look to have mediocre o-lines (at best) this year, are you discounting them the same way?
Because Romo is in the tier below Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, I would love for a serviceable OL to be put around him and keep him healthy and do awesome ####. He doesn't have to be as talented as those guys to win games, but he does have to be healthy.

This isn't an agree-with-me-or-you're-not-watching issue. He's as tough as nails, but the failure to protect him has cost him games and interfered with the team's success. You can't possibly disagree with that, can you?

I love the "if you disagree with me you must not be watching" refrain. It would be nice if Romo had a great o-line but he doesn't now and hasn't for the past few years (and I am not sure this line is a downgrade from years past) and he performs at a high level every year. Not sure what more you want.Aaron Rogers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Cam Newton and Matthew Stafford look to have mediocre o-lines (at best) this year, are you discounting them the same way?
Because Romo is in the tier below Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, I would love for a serviceable OL to be put around him and keep him healthy and do awesome ####. He doesn't have to be as talented as those guys to win games, but he does have to be healthy.

This isn't an agree-with-me-or-you're-not-watching issue. He's as tough as nails, but the failure to protect him has cost him games and interfered with the team's success. You can't possibly disagree with that, can you?
Not sure that Ryan is above Romo on any level and Ryan's line looks worse than Romo's, particularly with a third string LT. Reminds me of Rivers situation last year.

Yeah Romo had a clavicle injury that cost him 10 games in '10 and another injury that cost him 3 games in '08. That isn't something I am overly concerned about. Aaron Rodgers gets hit more than Romo by a pretty wide margin. Romo is in the top 10 for active QBs in sack %, his mobility helps him a lot in that arena, I consider a guy like Rodgers or Ryan just as much a risk for a freak clavicle injury, or something similar, as Romo.

This we can certainly agree upon. I whole-heartedly agree that failure to get the OL strong has been a major limiting factor for this team. I've said as much on numerous occasions.

But I also think Garrett and the powers that be recognized that exact fact. It was very clear that they were going OL with their first pick, regardless of what else happened. They passed on a guy they had rated #7 on their board (Floyd) to get an OL.

I know that you think their line still sucks. But its hard to believe that it isn't materially improved. They are likely going to be releasing a couple of guys that started many games last year because they've got better guys now.

FWIW
Is the OL really this bad?

FWIW
Colbalt is one of the most notorious negative posters this board has ever seen.

The line is average but nothing is ever as bad as he or Culdeus state.

FWIW
Colbalt is one of the most notorious negative posters this board has ever seen.

Notorious? Dang.

What would you like, Steadymobbin? A steady dose of Pom Poms and cheer leading rah rah about how awesome America's team always is? You want regurgitation of the steady stream of praise about how Dez Bryant is a BEAST, unstoppable, matured, among the best wideouts in the game? Or how about Witten, the gritty future Hall of Famer who is Mr. Reliable and the escape valve Romo needs in times of duress? Or how about Romo himself? Would you like me to extoll the virtues of this creative improvisational gunslinger, the best signal caller the Cowboys have had since Troy Aikman? The guy whom everyone loves to hate on, but in actuality is a guy who can pull a win out of thin air, make impossible throws, is a team leader? Would you like me to pile on with love over the defense? Generate fist-pumping enthusiasm that we are returning to our 4-3 roots with Lane Kiffin's father at the helm, how we have one of the most dominant forces on the edge the game has seen in the past decade? How Sean Lee exemplifies blue collar work ethic and represents the core of the future? Should I praise Jerry Jones for his shrewd eye for talent as GM and Stephen Jones for such a savvy approach to the salary cap?

If that's what you're looking for, there. You got it. Super Bowl 2013! Woohoo!

This topic is about bad vibes for Romo and the Cowboys. You have to assume significant risk in taking Romo, Dez, Murray, and to a lesser extent Witten. When healthy and rolling, this unit provides immense FF value. But, history has been instructive in this regard, and I am not one who subscribes to the theory that a rookie center is the panacea for Romo's troubling health history, nor do I fully trust Dez or Murray to be present and available for a full 16 games. All the rose colored glasses in the world won't change the fact that this team has not undergone the fundamental changes it needs to protect its assets, make a significant playoff push, or reward FF owners for the ADP at which they take the signature Cowboy skill players. As I read someone recently describe, you're picking pennies in front of a steamroller.

The FBG experts seem to think that Dallas' Oline grades out at a C-

That sounds right to me also. They're what Sir Charles would call.. "Turrible"
Chicago and Pittsburgh both have worse lines but you can even say its a "D-" rated line.Cobalt will tell you it's a line of midget abutees lathered in Vaseline and playing with blindfolds on.

FWIW
Colbalt is one of the most notorious negative posters this board has ever seen. The line is average but nothing is ever as bad as he or Culdeus state.
Notorious? Dang.What would you like, Steadymobbin? A steady dose of Pom Poms and cheer leading rah rah about how awesome America's team always is? You want regurgitation of the steady stream of praise about how Dez Bryant is a BEAST, unstoppable, matured, among the best wideouts in the game? Or how about Witten, the gritty future Hall of Famer who is Mr. Reliable and the escape valve Romo needs in times of duress? Or how about Romo himself? Would you like me to extoll the virtues of this creative improvisational gunslinger, the best signal caller the Cowboys have had since Troy Aikman? The guy whom everyone loves to hate on, but in actuality is a guy who can pull a win out of thin air, make impossible throws, is a team leader? Would you like me to pile on with love over the defense? Generate fist-pumping enthusiasm that we are returning to our 4-3 roots with Lane Kiffin's father at the helm, how we have one of the most dominant forces on the edge the game has seen in the past decade? How Sean Lee exemplifies blue collar work ethic and represents the core of the future? Should I praise Jerry Jones for his shrewd eye for talent as GM and Stephen Jones for such a savvy approach to the salary cap?

Do you deny being a Debbie Downer? I've never read ANYTHING you've written that didn't drip with negativity.ETA - I'm certainly not trying to pick on you or make this a personal attack, it's just like I said, I've really never read anything you've typed that wasn't really negative.

FWIW
Colbalt is one of the most notorious negative posters this board has ever seen. The line is average but nothing is ever as bad as he or Culdeus state.
Notorious? Dang.What would you like, Steadymobbin? A steady dose of Pom Poms and cheer leading rah rah about how awesome America's team always is? You want regurgitation of the steady stream of praise about how Dez Bryant is a BEAST, unstoppable, matured, among the best wideouts in the game? Or how about Witten, the gritty future Hall of Famer who is Mr. Reliable and the escape valve Romo needs in times of duress? Or how about Romo himself? Would you like me to extoll the virtues of this creative improvisational gunslinger, the best signal caller the Cowboys have had since Troy Aikman? The guy whom everyone loves to hate on, but in actuality is a guy who can pull a win out of thin air, make impossible throws, is a team leader? Would you like me to pile on with love over the defense? Generate fist-pumping enthusiasm that we are returning to our 4-3 roots with Lane Kiffin's father at the helm, how we have one of the most dominant forces on the edge the game has seen in the past decade? How Sean Lee exemplifies blue collar work ethic and represents the core of the future? Should I praise Jerry Jones for his shrewd eye for talent as GM and Stephen Jones for such a savvy approach to the salary cap?

Do you deny being a Debbie Downer? I've never read ANYTHING you've written that didn't drip with negativity.ETA - I'm certainly not trying to pick on you or make this a personal attack, it's just like I said, I've really never read anything you've typed that wasn't really negative.
I consider myself objective. Unfortunately, my tone reflects the state of how I perceive the team functioning. I praised the Carr signing and the move up to draft Mo (most Cowboy fans hated the move and regardless of who's ultimately right/wrong, the way I saw it, it was a good thing, and I applauded them for it). The Lee extension, a good thing. We have solid players, that's nothing new. But, I don't see fit to heap praise or manufacture hope where it isn't deserved. And, quite frankly, in the big picture made up of a lot of little details, the past few seasons are validation for the frustration and negativity. This is a new season, but I do not see any material change to suggest any significant departure from the recent past. Objectively, they are a wild card each week, capable of winning any game, but completely unreliable and unable to sustain consistent success.

But, hey...at least they aren't the raiders.

Just read thru this thread. Surprised by all the negative vibes, but I guess the thread title draws that.

You know what? I just realized theres a big hole in the armpit of my undershirt and my left nipple now exposed. I only posted that because its as useful as half of the posts in this thread saying the DAL offense has a bunch of holes, Romo will get hurt, etc, etc.

is it OK to give credit to romo and co. where credit is due in this thread? :)

bryant and austin with TDs in first half.

Users who are viewing this thread