What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Beanie Wells ... is he all done or does he make a comeback? (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Same with Ahmad Bradshaw. Although Wells is younger and is a former first round pick. He did put up decent touchdown numbers down the stretch last season scoring 5 in the last 5 games. I know there was some interest in him, just like Bradshaw, early in the offseason. But it appears to have cooled to a point where I can't find any recent news on him at all.

What is up with Wells? Why can't he latch on when guys like Daniel Thomas are still holding down jobs?

Heck he might still be the best back in Arizona if he went back.

Probably his knee. Seems like teams were scared off by his knee and he may have to wait for an injury to a starter to get a shot. He and Bradshaw are damaged goods. They have talent, but it's a risk to sign them and at this point most teams don't need these guys.

While he did have decent TD numbers, and is only 1 season removed from a 1k, 10 TD season, the fact is that he seems to have some injury concerns - and when he does try to play through injury, he is not very effective. True, he had 5 TDs down the stretch, but all 5 came in 2 two games - the other 3 games he had 25 carries for 43 total yards and a fumble. He averaged 2.7 YPC last season. I realize Arizona's o-line may be horrible, but there are FBGs who could average more than 2.7 YPC.

His stat line for his final game last season was 4 carries for 3 yards and a fumble. A lot of teams probably feel they can do better (or at least as poorly) with the talent the already are paying.

Honestly, if I'm a team looking for RB depth, I look at Bradshaw over Wells - and I own both in dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I read his knee is still an issue. Teams aren't going to spend the money (even at the veteran minimum) for a player that they can't rely on to contribute if needed. Beanie will likely get a shot at some point down the line, but don't be surprised to see him left on the sidelines, still, even after the season begins.

<p>My guess is that he takes the year off (involuntarily) and latches on with a squad next year.</p>

For both players, it's health, obviously, and not team's questioning talent. They are different types of players and both could be highly effective in the right situaiton but both are going to need to get healthy and then have an opportunity open for them.

I think Beanie gets overlooked a bit by FF people because he has frustrated us with the nagging injuries but if that ever corrects itself then I think we need to remember he has done a pretty solid job on a team with a poor line and situation. Add in to that he is only 23, going on 24 and I think a Beanie Wells who passes a physical is actually going to draw more interest in teams that are looking beyond the present. On a team that is in the thick of things right now, of course, people would probably prefer an Ahmad Bradshaw who could pass a physical. Really depends on the team.

I think a lot of us have put Bradshaw in Indy as a great fit and if there were injuries, it is easy to see him on a few other teams.

For Beanie, IF he was healthy and IF an injury happened to someone like Ben Tate, one of the Chicago backs, Frank Gore, TRICH, or maybe even SJAX, I could see it making sense; especially Tate. I think Wells could replace him completely IF healthy.

My gut says one of these guys ends up in San Diego. Just a hunch but I can see either one adding something to the team IF they are healthy.

I'm getting deja vu with this thread. Was there one created just like it for Bradshaw? Either way, I agree that Beanie would be the best back in Arizona. He and Bradshaw will almost certainly make an impact this season if they can get healthy. But they both seem to be chronically injured. He's still young, so I'll buy him where I've got roster room. He's dirt cheap and when healthy he's always looked like a first round talent to me. I've never owned him because his injuries and/or situation have scared me off, but he's absolutely worth the gamble at this point. I think he's at least as good as Benson was last year, so it's just a matter of staying healthy and latching on somewhere. Chances of that? Maybe 30%, but if it happens then it'll be more than worth your meager troubles to acquire him.

i think both of these guys will end up in camp with somebody and I think Bradshaw will again have fantasy relevance. No doubt in my mind they will be on a team for the beginning of the season, probably after an injury to a rb.

Arizona, Indy, San Diego all make sense for Beanie. Also either of the New York teams. Miami has no depth. I could see KC.

With MJD's health a huge red flag this could end up really good for beanie.

I have zero confidence in the Lis franc recovery for an older rb.

Free agent RB Beanie Wells reportedly tore his Achilles' tendon during last week's workout for the Ravens.

Guys like Brandon Jacobs, Peyton Hillis, Deji Karim and Willis McGahee have all gotten jobs this season, but the 25-year-old Wells remains on the street. It has a lot to do with his inability to stay healthy. Already plagued by knee and toe issues that caused his market to go ice cold this summer, Wells is now dealing with a serious injury that will keep him out of tryouts for the rest of the season. The former first-round pick is going to struggle to get looks in the offseason, as well. Achilles' tendon tears are among the toughest injuries for a running back to return from.
I actually feel bad for this guy these days.

He had 1000 yards and 10td behind that horrible o-line a couple years ago so I wouldn't say he was never any good. Lots of injuries and this might just be the final nail in the coffin.
Agree with all of this. Wells never lived up to his talent - mainly due to his inability to stay healthy. But he was a nice combo of speed and power and, imho, had the talent to be a true RB1 in FF.

He had 1000 yards and 10td behind that horrible o-line a couple years ago so I wouldn't say he was never any good. Lots of injuries and this might just be the final nail in the coffin.
Agree with all of this. Wells never lived up to his talent - mainly due to his inability to stay healthy. But he was a nice combo of speed and power and, imho, had the talent to be a true RB1 in FF.
Yup. Pretty silly to say he was never any good. The talent was there, but health and situation were not. His rookie year (only year with Kurt) was actually really good but it gets ignored because his touches did not allow for a nice end of year stat line, but 4.5 ypc as an early down back is solid in my book. As is 1047/10 on 245 carries (15 games) with Kolb/Skelton as your QB.

Reports today saying he tore his achilles during his tryout with the Ravens last week.

If this is confirmed, even at the young age, I think it may be time to put this one to bed.

Off the wall question.....in this scenario - Wells has no employer and is injured at a tryout with the Ravens. I assume that Wells can receive treatment from either the Ravens team doctors, or another physician at the expense of the NFL. But, is there any type of compensation for Wells?

Yup. Pretty silly to say he was never any good. The talent was there, but health and situation were not. His rookie year (only year with Kurt) was actually really good but it gets ignored because his touches did not allow for a nice end of year stat line, but 4.5 ypc as an early down back is solid in my book. As is 1047/10 on 245 carries (15 games) with Kolb/Skelton as your QB.
I know you three trumped him up over the years. Plodder who was never any good. :shrug:

I know you three trumped him up over the years. Plodder who was never any good. :shrug:
Actually, I never once owned Beanie. He was overhyped as a rookie (as rookies often are) and I avoided Arizona players after Warner retired like I avoided Rams players in the draft this year. I was going to take a flyer on him this year if he had signed somewhere enticing in the offseason.

Your trolling attempt here is poor. After you get carpal tunnel syndrome, perhaps you'll hear whispers of "touchdown there... a troll who was never any good"

Bradshaw will play again.

But if Beanie is behind Hillis, Jacobs, McGahee and now Karim, well, just how many injuries have to occure before he gets another chance.

Too bad about the injury, because Houston looks like they're hiring and they probably could have used a vet, and in that offense maybe he might have finally seen a revival.

For both players, it's health, obviously, and not team's questioning talent. They are different types of players and both could be highly effective in the right situaiton but both are going to need to get healthy and then have an opportunity open for them.

I think Beanie gets overlooked a bit by FF people because he has frustrated us with the nagging injuries but if that ever corrects itself then I think we need to remember he has done a pretty solid job on a team with a poor line and situation. Add in to that he is only 23, going on 24 and I think a Beanie Wells who passes a physical is actually going to draw more interest in teams that are looking beyond the present. On a team that is in the thick of things right now, of course, people would probably prefer an Ahmad Bradshaw who could pass a physical. Really depends on the team.

I think a lot of us have put Bradshaw in Indy as a great fit and if there were injuries, it is easy to see him on a few other teams.

For Beanie, IF he was healthy and IF an injury happened to someone like Ben Tate, one of the Chicago backs, Frank Gore, TRICH, or maybe even SJAX, I could see it making sense; especially Tate. I think Wells could replace him completely IF healthy.

My gut says one of these guys ends up in San Diego. Just a hunch but I can see either one adding something to the team IF they are healthy.
Well, if Tate were out for a while this could have become almost dead on.

Bradshaw will play again.

But if Beanie is behind Hillis, Jacobs, McGahee and now Karim, well, just how many injuries have to occure before he gets another chance.

Too bad about the injury, because Houston looks like they're hiring and they probably could have used a vet, and in that offense maybe he might have finally seen a revival.
That may have been an interesting signing. Perhaps not in real life but, if nothing else, would have generated some fantasy buzz.§

Actually, I never once owned Beanie. He was overhyped as a rookie (as rookies often are) and I avoided Arizona players after Warner retired like I avoided Rams players in the draft this year. I was going to take a flyer on him this year if he had signed somewhere enticing in the offseason.

Your trolling attempt here is poor. After you get carpal tunnel syndrome, perhaps you'll hear whispers of "touchdown there... a troll who was never any good"
You never doubted his talent.

Interesting buy low for you here.

Just in time for the playoffs

Straight up beast!

Oversimplification much?

:own3d:

Touchdown There said:

You never doubted his talent.

Interesting buy low for you here.

Straight up beast!

Oversimplification much?

Why in the heck are you making me defend FF Ninja?? What the hell is this, the Twilight Zone?? Your links basically prove his point - not yours. His links often restate what he already said in this thread.

And FF Ninja was right in his final quote "a troll who was never any good". Usually when people troll and stalk and post links to old threads, they do so to make a counterpoint. You just made an @@@ of yourself and then followed it up with the cherry on top of putting the emoticon on your own post. Wow.

Touchdown There said:
Yeah... so you did a lot of work there to find those quotes which don't disprove anything I've said (they are actually precisely in line with my earlier statements) or strengthen your point. Did you have a pretty heavy diet of paint chips as a kid?

Touchdown There said:

You never doubted his talent.Interesting buy low for you here.

Straight up beast!

Oversimplification much?

Why in the heck are you making me defend FF Ninja?? What the hell is this, the Twilight Zone?? Your links basically prove his point - not yours. His links often restate what he already said in this thread. And FF Ninja was right in his final quote "a troll who was never any good". Usually when people troll and stalk and post links to old threads, they do so to make a counterpoint. You just made an @@@ of yourself and then followed it up with the cherry on top of putting the emoticon on your own post. Wow.
You had serious man love for Beanie. Guy always was a plodder. You are welcome to disagree. Then I will care less.

Touchdown There said:
Yeah... so you did a lot of work there to find those quotes which don't disprove anything I've said (they are actually precisely in line with my earlier statements) or strengthen your point. Did you have a pretty heavy diet of paint chips as a kid?
No. They prove you wanted to feel Well's beanies.

Touchdown There said:
I had interest in him as a buy low candidate. I'd have told you that and saved you time from stalking my old posts. That does not strengthen your point or hurt mine. At the time he was like 24 with a couple solid (nonplodder) seasons under his belt. You are only making yourself sound more trollish by calling him a plodder. You can call him injury prone, fragile, etc. but you'd have to be stupid to call him a plodder.

Touchdown There said:
I had interest in him as a buy low candidate. I'd have told you that and saved you time from stalking my old posts. That does not strengthen your point or hurt mine. At the time he was like 24 with a couple solid (nonplodder) seasons under his belt. You are only making yourself sound more trollish by calling him a plodder. You can call him injury prone, fragile, etc. but you'd have to be stupid to call him a plodder.
He is both injury prone and a plodder. You are an internet name caller. You both suck. :shrug:

He is both injury prone and a plodder. You are an internet name caller. You both suck. :shrug:
:potkettle: :lmao:

:potkettle: :lmao:
Poor man's Adrian Peterson!

Are you aware that you have posted in 54 different threads about him since 2009? Just a total whiff on your part on a guy that runs a 4.6 40 yard time and could never stay healthy. I take a contrarian view on all players that you promote, because your ability to spot talent stinks. If you did not help me greatly in that regard, you would already be on my ignore list. However, I need to know which players to stay away from so you provide a valuable service to this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread