What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears 2006 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

lawyer

Footballguy
This thread will serve the obvious purpose of discussing the Bears 2006 offseason. To start it off, I'd like to throw a few ideas out there. How about we sign Randle El? He's from Chicago, it would serve our punt return woes, provide a decent 2nd WR, although Mark Bradley was coming on strong, and possibly even be an upgrade in QB depth. Also, what do you guys think about the Bears bringing in Kurt Warner? Dump Jeff Blake and bring in Warner for some veteran leadership, and possibly open up the passing game with the deep ball. Just some thoughts. Converse.

Arizona will resign warner and I say let 'em. The bears need a good, young qb...grossman can't stay healthy...I would love for them to acquire matt schaub. With the style of offense the bears use I'm not sure it'd make sense to go after wr in fa but as long as the draft Leonard pope I'll be happy

The needs appear to be:

1st tier: WR, CB, punt returner

2nd tier: TE, S, LB

Jerry Angelo has shown in past years that his style is to address top needs in free agency, and lower tier needs in the draft. The Bears have something like $17 million in cap space. So after locking up Lance Briggs, I'd look for them to be aggressive in free agency going after a WR such as Randle-El (who fills two top tier needs), Eddie Drummond of the Lions, or Koren Robinson. But don't forget about potential salary cap cuts like Eric Moulds and Isaac Bruce.

But I'd like to see them take a run at a top CB, as I think next year Mark Bradley and/or Bernard Berrian will be ready to really step up. Maybe sign someone like Will Allen of the Giants, and move Tillman to safety like he played in college.

I think that this is a very important offseason for the Bears brass to prove to their fans they are serious about winning. Right now the 05 season is very similar to the 01 season. What happened in 02, they returned with a very similar team, didn't upgrade at any position and said "hey we were good enough last year, let's make another run" Well the injuries mounted and we didn't have the depth to compete.

The Bears brass has to learn from their mistakes and go after players (whether that's FA or Draft), that upgrade the team. Yes, fill the team needs, but also look to the future. Don't rely on a 37 year old guard to make it through another season, get some depth. Don't be surprised when Mikey Brown goes down with another injury, have some depth ready.

Upgrade where you can. With something like 20 of 22 starters returning now is a great time to build depth. Let every position be up for grabs in training camp, knowing that some are already set, but make them earn and keep their jobs.

I thought the Bears took a huge step last season, but hey they snuck up on people last year and played an easy schedule.

This year teams will be ready for the defense and they will have to play a lot better to win 10 games, which in my mind is enough to win the division or get to playoffs.

The Bears brass better learn from their mistakes or they will find some very unhappy fans in the future.

Buffalo Bills fan here.

Will the Bears miss Perry Fewell? And do you think he can handle the DC position?
I think Perry Fewell will do a better job in Buffalo if the defenders can STAY ON THEIR FEET (unlike HIS DBs against Steve Smith in his final game as a Bears DB coach).

If I'm Jerry Angelo this offseason is a no brainer:

A) Sign Antwaan Randle El in free agency and INSTANTLY upgrade at WR and Punt Returner

B) Draft the best available TE in Round One of the NFL Draft (hopefully Georgia's Leonard Pope, but I'd settle for UCLA's Marcedes Lewis) The Bears are one of the few teams in the NFL that haven't drafted an effective TE in the first couple of rounds (or developed one) in years. Desmond Clark has no hands. His name might as well be PEZ-man Clark.

C) Extend the contract of Pro Bowl OLB Lance Briggs (he's in a contract year in '06)

D) Extend the contract of Charles Tillman (who's value will NEVER be lower - so they should be able to sign him on the cheap. Worst case, he's a nickel-back/free safety)

E) Draft the best available O-Lineman in the second round, as all starters are getting long in the tooth or have durability concerns

F) If Randle El isn't signed in free agency, then prepare to jump on any WR that might be cut in late August / early September (such as Marty Booker, Rod Gardner, Koren Robinson etc)

When Eddie Drummond wasn't hurt last year he absolutely sucked. Don't know what happened to him. He acted gun shy after missing all of the previous year with an injury.

I hope the Bears overpay him.

First off, the Bears only have 1 legit WR until the younger recievers develop some. Berrian could be a decent wr in development but not a superstar. This gives Grossman zilch to thro to after muhammad. The Bears made a bad mistake in drafting Benson.. They had Thomas Jones and should have drafted a WR in last years draft. Maybe the guy Detroit ended up getting in the first round Mike Williams. If i remember right he was on the board when the Bears drafted. Would have been nice to have Mike Williams and Muhammad playing together instead of a bunch of nobodys and an injured rookie RB on the bench who we didnt need in the first place. Anyway, rumor is the bears will draft a TE first. Prepare to end 2006 close to the same as 2005. Maybe just maybe a little better but no way a Superbowl Caliber team. The Bears just dont know how to draft. Until Grossman has the weapons to use (WR's) i cant blame him entirely. Peyton Manning would be lost with just Muhammad to throw to. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

A) Sign Antwaan Randle El in free agency and INSTANTLY upgrade at WR and Punt Returner

B) Draft the best available TE in Round One of the NFL Draft (hopefully Georgia's Leonard Pope, but I'd settle for UCLA's Marcedes Lewis) The Bears are one of the few teams in the NFL that haven't drafted an effective TE in the first couple of rounds (or developed one) in years. Desmond Clark has no hands. His name might as well be PEZ-man Clark.

C) Extend the contract of Pro Bowl OLB Lance Briggs (he's in a contract year in '06)

D) Extend the contract of Charles Tillman (who's value will NEVER be lower - so they should be able to sign him on the cheap. Worst case, he's a nickel-back/free safety)

E) Draft the best available O-Lineman in the second round, as all starters are getting long in the tooth or have durability concerns

F) If Randle El isn't signed in free agency, then prepare to jump on any WR that might be cut in late August / early September (such as Marty Booker, Rod Gardner, Koren Robinson etc)
Grid hit all the points. I think El should and will be #1 on the Bears's offseason list. I think El will hit the bank in FA with his versatility, so the Bears will have to ante up (something I think they ought to do with a need at WR with Bradley recovery and Berrian must develop some consistency and even more of a need at PR).

A)  Sign Antwaan Randle El in free agency and INSTANTLY upgrade at WR and Punt Returner

B)  Draft the best available TE in Round One of the NFL Draft (hopefully Georgia's Leonard Pope, but I'd settle for UCLA's Marcedes Lewis)  The Bears are one of the few teams in the NFL that haven't drafted an effective TE in the first couple of rounds (or developed one) in years.  Desmond Clark has no hands.  His name might as well be PEZ-man Clark.

C)  Extend the contract of Pro Bowl OLB Lance Briggs (he's in a contract year in '06)

D)  Extend the contract of Charles Tillman (who's value will NEVER be lower - so they should be able to sign him on the cheap.  Worst case, he's a nickel-back/free safety)

E)  Draft the best available O-Lineman in the second round, as all starters are getting long in the tooth or have durability concerns

F)  If Randle El isn't signed in free agency, then prepare to jump on any WR that might be cut in late August / early September (such as Marty Booker, Rod Gardner, Koren Robinson etc)
Grid hit all the points. I think El should and will be #1 on the Bears's offseason list. I think El will hit the bank in FA with his versatility, so the Bears will have to ante up (something I think they ought to do with a need at WR with Bradley recovery and Berrian must develop some consistency and even more of a need at PR).
Meh on El. Sure he is the sexy pick here in Chicago but he won't upgrade the WR corps all that much. Like Beltran, his playoff heroics will give him a good payday. However, he is bascially just an explosive special teams player. As a WR, he is average at best and he will be asking for way too much. If he does come to the Bears, I hope they have some financial sense and don't overpay a la Muhammad. Koren will probably stay in Minny. Gardner isn't much better than what the Bears have now. Wouldn;t mind having Booker back.

I think #1 is sign Briggs

2) Decide to use the TE

3) Now that you will actually use the TE, get one who can catch. Clark is terrible

4) OL, LB, and Secondary depth

Regarding Hunter Hillenmeyer....

With the number of nickel and dime coverages used in the NFL nowadays, I'd rather pay Urlacher and Briggs what they deserve and just fill in the that third spot as cheaply as possible, as he won't ever be an every down player.

Ill be looking for the Bears to get younger on the o-line. The age of this past years starters is very worrisome.

1 OL

2 CB

3 TE

Top 3 offseason needs

Im meh on Randle-El. I wouldnt overpay for a guy like him, but if the price is right, go for it.

Im excited about Bradley and Berrian.

First off, the Bears only have 1 legit WR until the younger recievers develop some. Berrian could be a decent wr in development but not a superstar. This gives Grossman zilch to thro to after muhammad. The Bears made a bad mistake in drafting Benson.. They had Thomas Jones and should have drafted a WR in last years draft. Maybe the guy Detroit ended up getting in the first round Mike Williams. If i remember right he was on the board when the Bears drafted. Would have been nice to have Mike Williams and Muhammad playing together instead of a bunch of nobodys and an injured rookie RB on the bench who we didnt need in the first place. Anyway, rumor is the bears will draft a TE first. Prepare to end 2006 close to the same as 2005. Maybe just maybe a little better but no way a Superbowl Caliber team. The Bears just dont know how to draft. Until Grossman has the weapons to use (WR's) i cant blame him entirely. Peyton Manning would be lost with just Muhammad to throw to. :yes:
Hindsight is 20/20 right? You wouldn't be saying any of this if Bradley hadn't been hurt.

You're wrong about Berrian, and that will prove itself out.

The Bears offense came to a complete halt when Berrian got hurt against Carolina. He was their ONLY receiver making anything happen.

http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/live/N...0060115_CAR@CHI
I agree with Grid - I also really hope Bradley gets a chance to prove himself. Everytime I saw that kid play, he looked real good. Contrary to what most people believe, I think the Bears are good enough at WR with Muhammad, Berrian & Bradley.Our RBs are fine; TJ, Benson & Peterson WILL get the job done. I say we could use a solid receiving tight end to help open up the passing game a little more.

Also, what we really need is a QB. Bears have not had a decent QB start and finish the season since I can't remember when. I think Grossman has the tools - I'm praying he can finally last a full season.

You're wrong about Berrian, and that will prove itself out.

The Bears offense came to a complete halt when Berrian got hurt against Carolina.  He was their ONLY receiver making anything happen.

http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/live/N...0060115_CAR@CHI
I agree with Grid - I also really hope Bradley gets a chance to prove himself. Everytime I saw that kid play, he looked real good. Contrary to what most people believe, I think the Bears are good enough at WR with Muhammad, Berrian & Bradley.Our RBs are fine; TJ, Benson & Peterson WILL get the job done. I say we could use a solid receiving tight end to help open up the passing game a little more.

Also, what we really need is a QB. Bears have not had a decent QB start and finish the season since I can't remember when. I think Grossman has the tools - I'm praying he can finally last a full season.
If the Super Bowl champs can win with a QB with 22.5 QB rating - the Bears are good to go. ;) I don't want to base my hopes on a 'project' like Bradley. You have to go into the season CONFIDENT in what you have. And I'm not sold on Bradley as a WR or on his health. If he comes through, it's a bonus. And PEZ-Man Clark at TE does NOTHING for me.

I agree with TE/OL in the first two rounds. After that, the bears need an additional OL to develop, a backup strong safety, and a WLB type to complete the draft.

I don't like Randle El at a #2, he has never been a #2 and isn't a better WR than Cedric Wilson. I would try to find a return man in the draft or free agency and then try to find a veteran complement to Muhsin in free agency that can provide the short to intermediate routes. Between Berrian and Bradley, the Bears have the future in explosive wide receivers in town already.

They also could use a veteran QB but that probably will not happen. Also, free agency should provide a cornerback to challenge Tillman.

I don't understand why anybody thinks the Bears will address the QB position when they won so man games last year with Orton.

Please elaborate.

Their logic will be: "If only we had a couple more offensive weapons."

For all practical purposed Moose is under contract for two more seasons, as a pretty hefty roster bonus is due in '08 - which will NEVER happen.

And regarding the backup safety... there's been talk of moving Tillman to FS.

S Mike Green and CB Jerry Azumah are as good as gone - so somewhere along the line, they'll draft or sign an additional CB - POSSIBLY a safety.

Great post Grid. I agree with everything you said, but I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to our WRs. Yes, it would be nice to get Randle El. He'd be a nice addition as a #3WR, a returner (which we need), and emergency QB, but I think he may be too expensive. He would be a luxury. With Moose, Bradley, Berrian and a new TE (which is a must and a nice safety valve) Grossman would hav a nice set of weapons available to him. I'm not as low on these WRs as others here. I think they can develop into decent options. IF they don't draft a TE, another FA WR would be important to bolster the depth. Booker would probably gladly come back.

Most good teams have an identity, and the winning formula for the Bears has been shown to be great defense, solid special teams, and running the football. Many people keep talking about TE being the top priority, but I just don't see it.

On offense, the Bears are set at RB. At QB, expect the Bears to have the same threesome of Grossman, Orton, and Blake. There's no way Warner is coming to Chicago. The Bears management is high on Rex Grossman, justifiably so in my mind. The offense is clearly better with Grossman over Orton. He just needs to stay healthy. He's certainly been injury prone, but all have been sort of freak injuries.

The offense line is effective, but old. John St. Clair recently signed as the swing tackle, and management seems to be happy with him. Look for a mid-round pick at guard (depending on if Terrance Metcalf re-ups) who can also backup at center.

I agree with some of the earlier posters that the Bears aren't as bad as some may think at WR. I don't know that Randle-El adds a lot as a WR2. Berrian really showed me something in the Panthers playoff game, and Bradley was just starting to "get it" before the torn ACL. Gage is a wasted roster spot. What they really need is a stud punt returner. Bobby Wade was an absolute fiasco, and by the end of the year, the chief ability the coaches looked for in a returner was simply someone who wouldn't fumble.

On defense, the top need and perhaps top overall need is at CB. I think this is where either their top free agent signing or #1 draft pick will be. If McGowan returns healthy, I think they'll be OK with safety depth. But another LB for depth should be another priority. They must resign Lance Briggs.

Build around your identity. TE seems to a luxury by that standard. I expect the most attention to be paid to CB, WR, TE, OL, LB in that order.

I don't understand why anybody thinks the Bears will address the QB position when they won so man games last year with Orton.

Please elaborate.

For all practical purposed Moose is under contract for two more seasons, as a pretty hefty roster bonus is due in '08 - which will NEVER happen.

S Mike Green and CB Jerry Azumah are as good as gone - so somewhere along the line, they'll draft or sign an additional CB - POSSIBLY a safety.
I don't think the Bears managment or anone else believes they could win 8 or 9 in a row again next year if Orton is under center. NFL offenses adjust to what dominating defenses do.86 Bears

01 Ravens

03 Bucs

All dominating defenses for a year, and then F/A's leave and offenses figure out how to score a few more points. A competent veteran on thta roster would be a very good move.

Please elaborate.

Their logic will be:  "If only we had a couple more offensive weapons."

And regarding the backup safety...  there's been talk of moving Tillman to FS.

I don't think the Bears managment or anone else believes they could win 8 or 9 in a row again next year if Orton is under center. NFL offenses adjust to what dominating defenses do.86 Bears

01 Ravens

03 Bucs

All dominating defenses for a year, and then F/A's leave and offenses figure out how to score a few more points. A competent veteran on thta roster would be a very good move.
Statistically, the Bears defense the year AFTER the Super Bowl was more dominant under Vince Tobin than the Super Bowl year under Buddy Ryan. Their problem in subsequent years was the lack of a healthy QB and the departure of Wilbur Marshall, and career ending injury suffered by CB Leslie Frazier in the Super Bowl.

The Bears need to shore up the cb position, the front seven really masked their deficiencies at that position.

On offense, they need to get the short passing game open. I think Muhammed is an excellent, underrated receiver, and gives the BEars a legitamate # 1, but due to their poor qb play, it is tough for the Bears to get him the ball. A pass catching tight end is the # 1 priority for this O, as well as a 3rd down Bobby Engram/Wayne Chrebet type receiver who can make the first down grabs.

Please elaborate.

Because their qbs had a combined rating of 59 and the Bears won in SPITE of their qbs.next question?

Please elaborate.

Their logic will be:  "If only we had a couple more offensive weapons."

And regarding the backup safety...  there's been talk of moving Tillman to FS.

Because their qbs had a combined rating of 59 and the Bears won in SPITE of their qbs.next question?
I understand what you're saying, but having been subjected to Jerry Angelo and his beliefs... He comes from the old school that the defense wins championships and the QB manages the game. He was a scout with the Giants (back in the LT days I believe) and with the Bucs as Dungy was starting to ramp things up - then left a couple of years prior to the Super Bowl championship.

All the BEars need is to start playing again. For some reason I think Orton will end up with a better career than Grossman.

Hey Gridiron, where did i diss Berrian in my post? I said he was in the making and could become decent but no way Superstar. Just curious what you thought you read. Plain and simple, the Bears choked in the first round last year period. I refuse to rule out Grossman until he gets some decent targets to throw to nor should anyone else. His only downfall and its big is his injuries. He may not be Chicagos answer long term but jeez, can you write off a guy who has slop to throw to?

As usual, Grid nails it. This is exactly what the Beloved Blue and Orange should do. All that, plus have a big city-wide party when Brett Favre officially retires. :yes:

With the OL getting old and a shaky offense in general, Chicago really does need to pay attention to keeping that offensive line strong.

Some more Bears news, just for you Grid :D ...

February 13, 2006, 06:47

Bears :: DL

DT T.Johnson Accused Of Threatening Cop

Gary Wisby, Chicago Sun-Times - [Full Article]

Already on probation for a weapons conviction, Chicago Bears defensive tackle Terry 'Tank' Johnson was charged Sunday with aggravated assault and resisting arrest after allegedly threatening a police officer. LINK

RW

Hey Gridiron, where did i diss Berrian in my post? I said he was in the making and could become decent but no way Superstar. Just curious what you thought you read. Plain and simple, the Bears choked in the first round last year period. I refuse to rule out Grossman until he gets some decent targets to throw to nor should anyone else. His only downfall and its big is his injuries. He may not be Chicagos answer long term but jeez, can you write off a guy who has slop to throw to?
I disagree he has slop to throw to. Mush is good. Berrian and Bradley are up and comers and have good careers ahead of them. Sometimes I wonder if it is the play calling limiting their success. You can see glimpses of what can be but they are a bit restricted sometimes with the play calling. Too conservative sometimes.

The Bears have got to find an experienced and competant backup QB. I've got no problem with hanging on to Orton to see how he progresses, but staking the season on Grossmans health and Orton being able to step in again and produce is wreckless... just as it was wreckless last season. Its actually kind of bad news that they got away with the gamble last season, it will encourage them to try it again. Randel El is an interesting alternative as well, fits a lot of needs and i having him as emergency QB could work.

The Bears have got to find an experienced and competant backup QB. I've got no problem with hanging on to Orton to see how he progresses, but staking the season on Grossmans health and Orton being able to step in again and produce is wreckless... just as it was wreckless last season. Its actually kind of bad news that they got away with the gamble last season, it will encourage them to try it again. Randel El is an interesting alternative as well, fits a lot of needs and i having him as emergency QB could work.
Jeff Blake is still here. highest rating in the NFL.

I disagree he has slop to throw to. Mush is good. Berrian and Bradley are up and comers and have good careers ahead of them. Sometimes I wonder if it is the play calling limiting their success. Too conservative sometimes.
Moose is good.....good #2 WR and excellent blocking WR. Problem is, we have to rely on him to be #1. I totally agree on Berrian and Bradley. It's exciting to have two guys that have game breaking potential. I don't think it's a stretch at all to believe one can develop into a #1 guy. Turner's offense will always be run first. And I'd expect that to continue. The WR's aren't slop. But none of them are #1 WR's right now. Moose is a possession guy and I don't believe you can open up the offense relying on him to consistently make plays. Blame Orton/Grossman, but Moose's hands were very shaky this year. Bradley/Berrian look like guys that can make plays on their own ....however the play calling ends up shaking out.

From PFW:

Bears expected to make adding a WR an offseason priorityChicagoThe Bears plan to use a portion of their $17 million of salary-cap space to acquire a secondary receiver. The top players available, Terrell Owens and unrestricted free agent Reggie Wayne of the Colts, are expected to be spoken for and, to a large degree, out of the Bears’ price range come March. We hear they’ll turn their attention to either Steelers WR Antwaan Randle El, a local product, or explore a handful of restricted free agents who have piqued the interest of general manager Jerry Angelo and pro personnel director Bobby DePaul. While Randle El is considered a No. 2 or slot receiver, he might be in demand and, thus, be priced out of the Bears’ budget because of the thin WR class. Only one receiver, Ohio State junior Santonio Holmes, is considered a lock to be a first-round pick among the 2006 rookie class. The Bears would have profound interest in any veteran receivers who might be released, such as Marty Booker (Dolphins), Eric Moulds (Bills) or Joe Horn (Saints), who is a long shot to be axed but someone the Bears have on their radar.

Moose is good.....good #2 WR and excellent blocking WR. Problem is, we have to rely on him to be #1. I totally agree on Berrian and Bradley. It's exciting to have two guys that have game breaking potential. I don't think it's a stretch at all to believe one can develop into a #1 guy.

Turner's offense will always be run first. And I'd expect that to continue. The WR's aren't slop. But none of them are #1 WR's right now. Moose is a possession guy and I don't believe you can open up the offense relying on him to consistently make plays. Blame Orton/Grossman, but Moose's hands were very shaky this year. Bradley/Berrian look like guys that can make plays on their own ....however the play calling ends up shaking out.
Moose had no problem dominating the NFL 2 years ago at WR with Steve Smith out of the lineup and no help at #2, #3, or #4 WR. He was Option 1, 2, and 3. I'm not sure I buy this #2 mentality....Sure, he's a #2 on a team that has Steve Smith on the other side, but then again, there are only a handful of guys that would be #1 on a team with Steve Smith (Moss, TO, Holt, CJ, etc).

I had stated in another post that Moose is the only guy worth mentioning UNTIL and i repeat UNTIL the other WR's develop a little more. There is nothing to get excited about until further development. IF the Bears had a SOLID #2 and #3 Grossman wouldn't falter near as much with growing pains like he has. Berrian WILL be better but right now he just there. Everyone gets lucky once and a while and he has NOT been overly productive. Randle El would be a welcome addition but again you guys are too hyped up over an average WR at best. Lets see the Bears land Reggie Wayne or even Eric Moulds then ill get excited. You guys also get WAY to excited about pointing fingers at the QB. Give Grossman some time like your giving Berrian and company.

I never said you dissed him. But for some reason (not specifically with you) there is more love for Mark Bradley than Berrian - which I COMPLETELY fail to understand. Berrian has proven against good competition that he can get the job done. He stretched the field against both the Steelers and Panthers. What has Bradley done in the regular season? Not much.The Bears SECONDARY and DEFENSIVE COACHES choked in the playoffs imho. Grossman came out a little antsy... but once he settled down, Berrian and Grossman had a good rapport going and the Bears were moving the ball fairly well. Once Berrian went down, the offense came to an abrupt halt on two consecutive drives. Justin Gage will probably be the guy who gets cut.

Randle El seeks clarity on special role

February 15, 2006

Antwaan Randle El said Tuesday he hopes to make his free-agent decision within the next six weeks. The Bears appear to be in the forefront for the services of the electrifying Pittsburgh Steelers kick returner/wide receiver.

"Certainly my family members want me to come here and play here. Also my friends and those who are involved in marketing and that sort of thing," Randle El said.

Cars.com

The Thornton High School/Indiana University product was in Chicago to visit his CSMG Sports agent, Fletcher Smith, who also represents Donovan McNabb, Randy Johnson and Dwyane Wade.

"I have to make sure I make the decision based on the important things," he said. "If God leads me here to Chicago, I certainly prefer that situation for my family if it is the best situation for me coming in and playing. If this is a team that needs a receiver or a punt returner or what have you … those are the things that are most important."

The signing period for unrestricted veteran free agents begins March 3 and ends July 22 for those who received a June 1 tender from their original team. Randle El does not want his situation to extend beyond next month.

If the Bears have serious intentions of landing him, they will have to show him more than the money.

"The money is not the biggest factor," Randle El said. "Of course there's a business side to it. But you have to make sure what is best for your family. You have to make sure you don't go to a team that doesn't have a clue about using a guy like myself. You want to go to a team that understands that I want to be a punt returner and I want to be a starting receiver.

"I would rather know before March ends," he said. "I want to get the playbook. I want to know my team's offense so there is no problem when it comes to the season starting. And I want my family to be settled and situated before the season hits."

Randle El, who became the first wide receiver to throw a touchdown pass in a Super Bowl, also wants to make sure the Bears, or any other team pursuing him, appreciate the nuances of his game as a special teams standout.

"Some teams undervalue [special teams play] a little bit," he said. "They have to understand that the hidden yardage and field position factor into every game. If you have got a guy who can break it open, it becomes a big factor and it is very important.

link

I think it would be a good move to sign randel as long as they don't spend too much cash. I hated watching the Bears fumble punt returns all season. Plus, the way the offense has been struggling, it could be a major help to have better field position from the return.

But I'd like to see them take a run at a top CB, as I think next year Mark Bradley and/or Bernard Berrian will be ready to really step up. Maybe sign someone like Will Allen of the Giants, and move Tillman to safety like he played in college.
I really like that idea. The only thing is I thought Chris Harris had an awesome year as a rookie and is poised to be a great player. But there's no way we can't have Tillman on the field; he's got too much potential for big plays.

I don't disagree, but it is amazing how fast things change in the NFL when going into the year the perceived weakness was the D line and Bears fans were excited to see the progress of Tillman, who was a big fan favorite.

The Bears need to shore up the cb position, the front seven really masked their deficiencies at that position.

On offense, they need to get the short passing game open. I think Muhammed is an excellent, underrated receiver, and gives the BEars a legitamate # 1, but due to their poor qb play, it is tough for the Bears to get him the ball. A pass catching tight end is the # 1 priority for this O, as well as a 3rd down Bobby Engram/Wayne Chrebet type receiver who can make the first down grabs.

Jerry Angelo has stated on radio and in print that 'the Bears won't be too active in free agency'.

He said the same nonsense the past two years, and they signed Thomas Jones and Moose Muhammad during the first day of free agency.

Any chance the Bears could sign a FA O Lineman? If they do, they can concentrate on TE and CB in the draft.

Also of interest... From KFFL.

Bears | Team very interested in S. MossSat, 25 Feb 2006 10:51:19 -0800During his NFL Combine interview, Miami WR Sinorice Moss said the Chicago Bears are very interested in him. Moss talked with them his first night at the Combine and at the Senior Bowl.

Also of interest... From KFFL.

Bears | Team very interested in S. Moss

Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:51:19 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Miami WR Sinorice Moss said the Chicago Bears are very interested in him. Moss talked with them his first night at the Combine and at the Senior Bowl.
Hmm... why would this be? I mean, he's good and all but why would they draft a WR first round? Doesn't make any sense.

Users who are viewing this thread