What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger (1 Viewer)

If all he did was win he would have a Superbowl by now. Right?
That is true. But the way things are looking, odds are in a little over 14 days, he will have a Super Bowl win to his credit.

What's running through my mind now is the ESPN "behind-the scenes at the draft" segments they did that year. Ben sat there in the green room and watched everyone else get called ahead of him, nervously cracking jokes to DeANgelo Hall, Suzy k and others as he waited. Looks like he got the last laugh. :thumbup:

The Steelers have a much better record when he throws under 25 passes a game, so until that changes, no.

What's running through my mind now is the ESPN "behind-the scenes at the draft" segments they did that year. Ben sat there in the green room and watched everyone else get called ahead of him, nervously cracking jokes to DeANgelo Hall, Suzy k and others as he waited. Looks like he got the last laugh. :thumbup:
How can a "last laugh" come after 2 seasons?

What's running through my mind now is the ESPN "behind-the scenes at the draft" segments they did that year. Ben sat there in the green room and watched everyone else get called ahead of him, nervously cracking jokes to DeANgelo Hall, Suzy k and others as he waited. Looks like he got the last laugh.  :thumbup:
Uh, it's a figure of speech. Eli Manning fan?

Well, you used it incorrectly.

What's running through my mind now is the ESPN "behind-the scenes at the draft" segments they did that year. Ben sat there in the green room and watched everyone else get called ahead of him, nervously cracking jokes to DeANgelo Hall, Suzy k and others as he waited. Looks like he got the last laugh.  :thumbup:
Well, you used it incorrectly.
Oh, just be happy for the guy. He's going to the Superbowl in his second season!

The Steelers have a much better record when he throws under 25 passes a game, so until that changes, no.
That is a dumb reason. Are you saying the Steelers need to start losing games he throws under 25 passes in to make his value more evident to someone like you?

honestly....he just may be the greatest example of a good player going to the perfect team. would we be talking about him on Baltimore? Detroit? Cleveland? Saints? Cowher's style is a perfect fit for him...and he's got a great supporting cast. Not to take away from his accomplishments so far, but he's certainly been helped along the way.

He's a good QB but a terrible fantasy QB. Aikman I would compare him to. A great system that doesnt make the qb make every play.

honestly....he just may be the greatest example of a good player going to the perfect team. would we be talking about him on Baltimore? Detroit? Cleveland? Saints? Cowher's style is a perfect fit for him...and he's got a great supporting cast. Not to take away from his accomplishments so far, but he's certainly been helped along the way.
That can be said for any QB. Do you think Tom Brady would have three Super Bowl titles if he played for Detroit or New Orleans?

Great players take advantages of their opportunities and that is what Roethlisberger has done.

That is a dumb reason. Are you saying the Steelers need to start losing games he throws under 25 passes in to make his value more evident to someone like you?
I have a feeling it's a similar stat for almost every QB.It's what you do with the passes you get. Very few teams have won Super Bowls relying so heavily on the pass ... recently it's probably just the 1994 49ers and 1999 Rams.

Roethlisberger has 4 losses in his career (1-2 vs. Brady, 4-1 vs. Palmer, 1-1 vs. Manning), with only 1 of those on the road. His efficiency on a per-pass basis is so good, and given what happened when he was hurt this year (and the reason Pittsburgh had to win 3 road games) it's hard to knock him.

:confused: Are you his girlfriend or something? Don't take the fact that I don't think he's even a top 5 QB in the league as a personal attack.

if winning games and going to the AFC championship twice and the SB once after only 2 years inthe league... then I'd say he's pretty good.. :yes:

That can be said for any QB. Do you think Tom Brady would have three Super Bowl titles if he played for Detroit or New Orleans?

Great players take advantages of their opportunities and that is what Roethlisberger has done.
Of course not....but that doesn't mean that Brady would be as good as he is on a different team in a different scheme. Different players can thrive in the right system, others can flounder....there's just as many examples at the other end of the spectrum - especially with skill guys like QBs and RBs. I'm just saying i think Ben has been graced with a perfect fit for his talents - and he's certainly made the most of it. Not knocking the guy at all....quite the opposite.

Somebody in Arizona was just musing about this: linky

:confused: Are you his girlfriend or something? Don't take the fact that I don't think he's even a top 5 QB in the league as a personal attack.
Nope, I like my g/f's to look a little more feminine, thank you very much.If you do not think Roethlisberger is that great, then that is your opinion, but you gave a stupid reason and I merely pointed that out.

Nope, I like my g/f's to look a little more feminine, thank you very much.If you do not think Roethlisberger is that great, then that is your opinion, but you gave a stupid reason and I merely pointed that out.
So his reason that the Steelers lose more when they put the game in his hands is a stupid reason to disqualify someone as best in the league?

Are you saying the Steelers need to start losing games he throws under 25 passes in to make his value more evident to someone like you?
This sentence would drive Smoo crazy. Anyway, Parker/Bettis are the reason for the Steelers success. Ben is never asked to do "too much" and his main job is to not throw picks. He's good, but not great. He's a top 10 Quarterback...I guess.

So his reason that the Steelers lose more when they put the game in his hands is a stupid reason to disqualify someone as best in the league?
In this case, yes. Rothlisberger's record as a starter is 27-4. The four losses were all games in which the Steelers fell behind early and BR had to play from behind, so naturally, his numbers were not going to be as good in those games. That pretty much goes for any QB.

"that's a dumb reason""that's a stupid reason"

These words doesn't make your points any stronger. Just saying.

In this case, yes. Rothlisberger's record as a starter is 27-4.
Trent Dilfer won the Superbowl with a team with a really good running game and a great defense much like the Steelers. Big Ben is good and at his young age has a lot of room for improvement, but to say he's the best is pushing it IMO.

"that's a dumb reason""that's a stupid reason"

These words doesn't make your points any stronger. Just saying.
Okay...how is this? Your argument is weak. Is that better?

In this case, yes. Rothlisberger's record as a starter is 27-4.
Trent Dilfer won the Superbowl with a team with a really good running game and a great defense much like the Steelers. Big Ben is good and at his young age has a lot of room for improvement, but to say he's the best is pushing it IMO.
Where did I say he is the best QB? Just because I am defending him in a thread asking if he is the best does not necessarily mean I think he is the best.

He's a good QB but a terrible fantasy QB. Aikman I would compare him to. A great system that doesnt make the qb make every play.
He was the 13th best QB in my league, despite missing 4 games. "Terrible fantasy QB?"

Best in NFL, no. Best in his draft class, and top 10 in the NFL? Yes. Much like Brady, he just has IT. He's not Brady, but he's a winner and a playmaker. Some look better throwing the ball, or running, but these guys do the little things that make them great.

This is the thinking that will make him a good value in fantasy drafts. I see 25-30 TD passes in his near future.

This is the thinking that will make him a good value in fantasy drafts. I see 25-30 TD passes in his near future.
I can see 20-25, consistently, but I just can't see Cowher turning into Mike Martz. Pittsburgh is at their best playing traditional football. Run the ball well, stop the run well, and be able to throw to balance it out. Great game of Steeler football today.

He's a good QB but a terrible fantasy QB.  Aikman I would compare him to.  A great system that doesnt make the qb make every play.
I can see 20-25, consistently, but I just can't see Cowher turning into Mike Martz. Pittsburgh is at their best playing traditional football. Run the ball well, stop the run well, and be able to throw to balance it out. Great game of Steeler football today.
When the Steelers offense is clicking, he appears to get two TD passes fairly easy in the flow. Some games with three, some with 0-1...this is definitely the last season we should see him with <20 TD passes.

Big Ben is the next incarnation of Tom Brady.He was put in the best situation possible for a QB. The rest of the team around him is, at worst, above average. That makes it much easier for him to be successful. To his credit, he has not disappointed and been a weak link for the team since late in the 2004 season. I couldn't call him the best QB in the league right now, but he is definitely in the discussion for top 5. A healthy McNabb in 2006 could keep him out of the top 5 though (NFL not fantasy).He is clearly one of the most efficient QBs out there. If his efficiency scales with increased opportunities, he'd definitely be right up there in the discussion for best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you this. If I'm the GM of the Steelers, there's not a QB in the league I would trade Ben for straight up. :towelwave:

Ben is way better than Vick. Vick could have never won a game like today. You need an offense that is in sinc, and timed.

Big Ben is the next incarnation of Tom Brady.

He was put in the best situation possible for a QB.  The rest of the team around him is, at worst, above average.  That makes it much easier for him to be successful.  To his credit, he has not disappointed and been a weak link for the team since late in the 2004 season.  I couldn't call him the best QB in the league right now, but he is definitely in the discussion for top 5.  A healthy McNabb in 2006 could keep him out of the top 5 though (NFL not fantasy).

He is clearly one of the most efficient QBs out there.  If his efficiency scales with increased opportunities, he'd definitely be right up there in the discussion for best.
How about Manning?? The best skill players in the NFL. And one of the best defenses this year. Still could not get it done.I think much of it has to do with the mental makeup of the QB as well as the ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a good QB but a terrible fantasy QB.  Aikman I would compare him to.  A great system that doesnt make the qb make every play.
He was solidly in the top 10 (around #8 in my leagues) in PPG among QBs.Nope, not a good fantasy QB.

Big Ben is the next incarnation of Tom Brady.

He was put in the best situation possible for a QB. The rest of the team around him is, at worst, above average. That makes it much easier for him to be successful. To his credit, he has not disappointed and been a weak link for the team since late in the 2004 season. I couldn't call him the best QB in the league right now, but he is definitely in the discussion for top 5. A healthy McNabb in 2006 could keep him out of the top 5 though (NFL not fantasy).

He is clearly one of the most efficient QBs out there. If his efficiency scales with increased opportunities, he'd definitely be right up there in the discussion for best.
The fact that something like this can even be said when he's just finishing up his 2nd year in the NFL speaks volumes.He's only going to get better.

Are you saying the Steelers need to start losing games he throws under 25 passes in to make his value more evident to someone like you?
This sentence would drive Smoo crazy. Anyway, Parker/Bettis are the reason for the Steelers success. Ben is never asked to do "too much" and his main job is to not throw picks. He's good, but not great. He's a top 10 Quarterback...I guess.
Facts are facts, and Pitts running game is NOT what it used to be; Parker is sub-par and Bettis cannot carry the load. Cowher is giving the ball to Big Ben and he is producing!! This is probably the worst Steelers running game the last few years ....... but they are super bowl bound. Big Ben is the real deal and wins a Super Bowl in his second year!

mervis

Facts are facts, and Pitts running game is NOT what it used to be; Parker is sub-par and Bettis cannot carry the load. Cowher is giving the ball to Big Ben and he is producing!! This is probably the worst Steelers running game the last few years ....... but they are super bowl bound. Big Ben is the real deal and wins a Super Bowl in his second year!

mervis
Yeah, that 4.7 avg. is just unacceptable. :rolleyes:

mervis
I think Parker proved he is servicable, but he really disappeared some games this year. I wouldn't consider him a long term answer in Pitt, but he'd make a great 1-2 punch RB if Pitt can find another Bettis to compliment him.

mervis
I think Parker proved he is servicable, but he really disappeared some games this year. I wouldn't consider him a long term answer in Pitt, but he'd make a great 1-2 punch RB if Pitt can find another Bettis to compliment him.
It was his first year as a starter, he's still learning the position. He's only going to be better next year.

All he does is win. Thoughts???
He is an excellent QB. No one gets the "best in the NFL" tag without a ring though. It's just a rule.
So if he beats Carolina or Seattle in 2 weeks, Is he the best?
I'm sold. If he wins the Super Bowl, I'd say that Roethlisberger with the Steelers is the best thing that the NFL has going right now.

Users who are viewing this thread