What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Tate (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet

Footballguy
Thoughts on Ben Tate ROS? Houston is out of it, big games would increase Tate's value he's a upcoming free agent. Plus I'm sure Houston is going to try to evaluate Case Keenum as much as possible.

Thoughts this week and beyond?

Have to think that Tate is hurting his chances at a starting gig next year, whether it's in Houston or elsewhere. While the Texans are imploding, it's not like Tate has been distinguishing himself. At this point, can't see a team throwing a ton of money his way next year and a guaranteed starting job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really surprised by the total lack of effectiveness of Tate. He is literally playing for his next paycheck. But, it is a team sport and you can't do it on your own.

Really surprised by the total lack of effectiveness of Tate. He is literally playing for his next paycheck. But, it is a team sport and you can't do it on your own.
No doubt. But the very fact that he had some success is thus going to be likely attributed to the Houston system (when it was effective). That's why I don't think he's going to get paid like a true starting RB.

He only had 12 touches yesterday.
He's lucky he got that many. He saved himself in PPR from complete disaster with the 5 receptions. Running the ball he was terrible. I don't blame the Texans for using Johnson more. He was far superior.

I'm not sure what to think of him at this point. I thought he ran well for the most part in Week 11 against Oakland. The matchup in Week 13 against New England certainly is promising but if Tate can't ward off Johnson he'll be no more than an upside RB3 as opposed to the high end RB2 he looked like he could be when Foster got hurt.

I took Tate over Leveon Ball in 2 leagues this year, <face into palm>

What a disgrace. No one will give this guy big $ next year. So he'll just be more annoying in a different committee rather then almost irrelevant with Foster.

zamboni said:
Shutout said:
No doubt. But the very fact that he had some success is thus going to be likely attributed to the Houston system (when it was effective). That's why I don't think he's going to get paid like a true starting RB.
I think it's going to depend on what the FA market and draft look like. he was unlikely to be the #1 target for most teams but he could be seen as a good signing for the right team. it could be a hard landing though. the difference between a team like Jax and maybe Dallas.

zamboni said:
Shutout said:
I think it's going to depend on what the FA market and draft look like. he was unlikely to be the #1 target for most teams but he could be seen as a good signing for the right team. it could be a hard landing though. the difference between a team like Jax and maybe Dallas.
True - it's all supply and demand and that will play a big part. I can see him getting a modest deal like BJGE did with maybe a chance to compete for a starting gig where there is no clear cut incumbent. Problem is that teams just don't pay up for RBs anymore (passing league, can find guys late in the draft, etc etc), and Trent Richardson's failure as a high draft pick is probably not going to help the RB market.

Da Gildz said:

What a disgrace. No one will give this guy big $ next year. So he'll just be more annoying in a different committee rather then almost irrelevant with Foster.
I don't have either, but I wouldn't beat myself up over that one. Bell is averaging 3.2 ypc. I think Tate will be good next year on a new team. Bell will still be mediocre on the same team.

Da Gildz said:

I don't have either, but I wouldn't beat myself up over that one. Bell is averaging 3.2 ypc. I think Tate will be good next year on a new team. Bell will still be mediocre on the same team.
True, just so dissapointed in this guy. 5 weeks being the feature back, cant even hit paydirt once. Vs Ind/Oak/Jax

Gross.

Da Gildz said:

True, just so dissapointed in this guy. 5 weeks being the feature back, cant even hit paydirt once. Vs Ind/Oak/Jax

Gross.
He..had four broken ribs. The fact that he played in/through a majority of those games is a testament to his high pain threshold (not effectiveness).

Last week was the true disappointment (broken ribs take about a month to heal). He did however turn up on the injury report with three different injuries prior to the game, so maybe he's still ailing.

Regardless, the situation is ####. HOU is ####, and D.Johnson will undoubtedly continue eat into his carries. I think he can still hold flex value in PPR leagues but that might be about it.

Coach Gary Kubiak said he'll continue to rely on Ben Tate as the Texans' No. 1 running back.
Tate rushed seven times for a pitiful one yard against the Jaguars on Sunday, while Dennis Johnson carried it 13 times for 74 yards. "There were a couple of times where there really wasn't any room for (Tate). I don’t know if he ever got in a rhythm with what he's doing," Kubiak said. "We know what he’s battling through. He’s not practicing during the week; he’s just playing on Sundays. So I know that’s tough from that standpoint. I think Ben will bounce back." Look for the two backs to split the load a bit more down the stretch, with Tate remaining the starter. Tate won't be anything more than a flex play in Week 13.

I have to think DJ at least splits carries with Tate this weekend. If he outperforms him again, then he could easily take over this job for the rest of the year. I am making a claim for him this week and hoping for the best.....him, being Johnson

Coach Gary Kubiak said he'll continue to rely on Ben Tate as the Texans' No. 1 running back.
Tate rushed seven times for a pitiful one yard against the Jaguars on Sunday, while Dennis Johnson carried it 13 times for 74 yards. "There were a couple of times where there really wasn't any room for (Tate). I don’t know if he ever got in a rhythm with what he's doing," Kubiak said. "We know what he’s battling through. He’s not practicing during the week; he’s just playing on Sundays. So I know that’s tough from that standpoint. I think Ben will bounce back." Look for the two backs to split the load a bit more down the stretch, with Tate remaining the starter. Tate won't be anything more than a flex play in Week 13.
Short term, it seems like Tate's value is going to be limited. Long term, I still think he will get a shot somewhere else to start. Many players would have been on the bench the past month. Think about McFadden. Ivory. etc. So, the abilty to strap on your helmet and play hurt is a positive. You have to judge his performance over the whole course of his career--not just the past month when he has played hurt.

So, fluky TDs or can be trusted from here on out? Next up Jax who obviously shut him down last time and has actually been surprisingly good at slowing downs RBs (though maybe that's more a function of being easy to pass on).

Not fluky perse. Tate looked alot better this game than he did the last couple. Less plodding, a little more burst. That being said, the Pats interior defense isn't great so I would temper expectations a bit.

I'm not getting too excited. Every RB's been obliterating the Pats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this guy worth starting? It is playoff time for those who made it. I've had him stashed for a long time - I brought him in against the Jags two weeks ago and he made me pay. Now he goes to everyones bench and rolls out 3 TDs.

What does he do against Jax again?

I'm rolling with him for this week figuring he will want to make up for his previous outing with them. Johnson averaged almost 6 yards a carry when Tate laid his egg so it wasn't like the Jags couldn't be run on.

Congrats to all Tate owners.

I was holding onto hope that Dennis Johnson would emerge.....but looks like Tate solidified himself as a starter in your fantasy lineups if you made it to the playoffs.

I'm not getting too excited. Every RB's been obliterating the Pats.
Yeah, I eluded to the fact that he matched up very well against NE's Wilforkless front in some thread around here and obviously that was the case. NE is a very soft match-up right now for a myriad of reasons.

So, fluky TDs or can be trusted from here on out? Next up Jax who obviously shut him down last time and has actually been surprisingly good at slowing downs RBs (though maybe that's more a function of being easy to pass on).
What's so interesting about JAC is that before facing Palmer several weeks ago they had one of the longest streaks of not allowing a QB to top 300 yards (dated back to last year). This wasn't a product of a stout pass defense obviously but rather was a product of the fact that you never really had to pass on them.

Now, they've allowed two 300+ yard performances in the past month and hilariously it's tied to the fact that they've been much more competitive.

IIRC RBs tend to fair well on Thursday nighters.
This is true. There is likely a rather strong correlation between TNF and an increased production from the position.
Is this guy worth starting? It is playoff time for those who made it. I've had him stashed for a long time - I brought him in against the Jags two weeks ago and he made me pay. Now he goes to everyones bench and rolls out 3 TDs.

What does he do against Jax again?
I believe he's worth starting. Some factors to take into account..

- JAC is allowing the 4th most YPG on the ground (130).

- Tate is averaging 4.3 on the season, JAC is allowing 4.2.

- Defensively JAC has been atrocious at home vs. away (noticed this trend and started them @CLE this week).

- It's TNF

His performance vs. them two weeks ago was likely an outlier. I think it would be rather safe to estimate at least 60-80 total yards with him also having a good shot at a TD (JAC has allowed 12 TDs on the ground this year). I'd feel pretty good rolling him out as my RB2 this week.

i happened to watch most of this game. Tate looked decent, but most of the holes he ran through, my grandmother could've ran through them, and she's been dead for 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread