What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bend, OR (1 Viewer)

Drunken knight

Footballguy
Driving up tomorrow until Monday for a lacrosse tournament. What are some of your favorite restaurants?

I expect that we will have some dinners with the team and parents (take out at the hotel), but we may have some opportunities for nicer meals.

We have never visited.

What say you?

Isn't this the place with the world's last blockbuster video?

It is. And it's very underwhelming. 

I've only been once, during COVID so not much eating out.  The downtown seems super nice with lots of places to eat.  There are also a ton of really good breweries.  

Driving up tomorrow until Monday for a lacrosse tournament. What are some of your favorite restaurants?

I expect that we will have some dinners with the team and parents (take out at the hotel), but we may have some opportunities for nicer meals.

We have never visited.

What say you?
It's been quite some time since I was there, but I'll be there at the end of this month and I'm absolutely, positively hitting the Boneyard Brewery.  I've never been, but their flagship IPA is my favorite beer in the world.  So I'm hoping their brewpub lives up to the hype.  There are several great breweries in Bend now, but I haven't tried many of them as a lot of them have popped up recently.  But if you're not a beer guy, I probably don't need to belabor the brewpub point.  

A little further north is a town called Redmond that's a city on the come.  I'd like to check out Wild Ride Brew when I'm there.  They've got some interesting beers with a few different food carts on site that you can order from and sit down at the common area to eat/drink. 

Downtown Bend is neat.  Again, haven't been in several years, but it's got a lot going on.  It's a small, walkable area with plenty of options for eating and drinking.  It can get a little crowded, though.  Parking can be a bear.  There's a McMenamins there - the Old St. Francis School.  If you've never been to a McMenamins, it's worth checking out as the architecture and art work are really neat.  The food however is lackluster, over-priced and the service can be very surly.  Maybe have a drink and some tots so you can check it off your list, but you can do a lot better for food, especially for what they charge.  

If you've never been, you're going to really enjoy it.  The people there get outside and squeeze every drop out of the summer days.  River floats, mountain biking, hiking, you name it, Bend is a playground for outdoor fun.  I'll ruminate on it some more and circle back.  Too bad my Bend trip isn't this weekend, it would have been nice to meet you.

It's been quite some time since I was there, but I'll be there at the end of this month and I'm absolutely, positively hitting the Boneyard Brewery.  I've never been, but their flagship IPA is my favorite beer in the world.  So I'm hoping their brewpub lives up to the hype.  There are several great breweries in Bend now, but I haven't tried many of them as a lot of them have popped up recently.  But if you're not a beer guy, I probably don't need to belabor the brewpub point.  

A little further north is a town called Redmond that's a city on the come.  I'd like to check out Wild Ride Brew when I'm there.  They've got some interesting beers with a few different food carts on site that you can order from and sit down at the common area to eat/drink. 

Downtown Bend is neat.  Again, haven't been in several years, but it's got a lot going on.  It's a small, walkable area with plenty of options for eating and drinking.  It can get a little crowded, though.  Parking can be a bear.  There's a McMenamins there - the Old St. Francis School.  If you've never been to a McMenamins, it's worth checking out as the architecture and art work are really neat.  The food however is lackluster, over-priced and the service can be very surly.  Maybe have a drink and some tots so you can check it off your list, but you can do a lot better for food, especially for what they charge.  

If you've never been, you're going to really enjoy it.  The people there get outside and squeeze every drop out of the summer days.  River floats, mountain biking, hiking, you name it, Bend is a playground for outdoor fun.  I'll ruminate on it some more and circle back.  Too bad my Bend trip isn't this weekend, it would have been nice to meet you.

Boneyard was actually the only place we did eat at when we went as it had plentiful outdoor seating.  The beer was amazing as you already know, but so was the food.  The wings and burgers are legit.  

We have never visited.

What say you?
Deschutes Brewery has fantastic beer.  That and the awesome mountain biking to the west of town are all I remember.

Deschutes Brewery has fantastic beer.  That and the awesome mountain biking to the west of town are all I remember.
I was just going to say Deschutes is the big dog there for beer. If you like Belgian styles and great views, Brasserie at Monkless is a great choice. 

I'm visiting Bend right now, currently planning out the breweries we're going to hit up this afternoon with my 21-year old nephew.  He already did Crux yesterday, sounded like a good spot.  Thinking Bend Brewing, which has a big outdoor seating area on the river and is right downtown.  Also might go over to Boss Rambler Beer Club, as it is owned by a former Oregon women's lax player (the former coach lives across the street from us in Eugene and suggested it), and it's a block from 10 Barrel which I'd like to check out.

We just got back from Pine Tavern next door to Bend Brewing, also a big outdoor seating area right on the river - we just had cocktails but the menu looked good and the food smelled great as it was being carried by.

We haven't been to the McMenamin's St. Francis School on this trip, but it's such a unique setting that it's worth a visit if you haven't been.

Tonight I think we're meeting up with a buddy at the Box Factory, which has been converted into several retail, restaurant, brewery, and wine shops.  

And already trying to figure out when we can get back here for another visit - it'd take a week of eating and drinking out every day to hit even half the places I'd like to try.

ETA:  had brunch today at Jackson's Corner, big spot with lots of indoor and outdoor seating on the edge of downtown.  Food was pretty good, they have a bakery there, and a good selection of beer and ciders in the cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Also might go over to Boss Rambler Beer Club, as it is owned by a former Oregon women's lax player (the former coach lives across the street from us in Eugene and suggested it), and it's a block from 10 Barrel which I'd like to check out.
:thumbup:   Daughter will be a junior next year... they were restricted from contacting coaches until 6/15.  This might be a nice connection :D

Yeah, Deschutes is the grandpappy of Bend brew pubs and one of the first craft breweries in the state  to plant their flag and expand to become a large producer of beer across state lines.  Deschutes Widmer, Full Sail and the now closed BridgePort and Portland Brewing Co were the five horseman of Oregon craft beer when I arrived to the PNW in 1996. 

Now there are like a gazillion craft breweries and they just keep getting better and sometimes cooler.  I would check out Deschutes for the historical importance of it and it's a cool location.  They have a nice spot in downtown Portland too.  It used to get really crowded and hard to get a table but with all the breweries now, that might not be the case. 

We spent the day in Bend a few years ago and while I thought Deschutes had slightly better beer, the ambiance at Crux made for a more enjoyable experience if you want to chill at a brewery for a while.

We ate at this place called Spork that was phenomenal.

We spent the day in Bend a few years ago and while I thought Deschutes had slightly better beer, the ambiance at Crux made for a more enjoyable experience if you want to chill at a brewery for a while.

We ate at this place called Spork that was phenomenal.

Wild Ride is owned by some younger acquaintances of mine from high school.  They've built that place up from nothing to one of the success stories of our small town.  The food trucks are decent  but the beer is very good and the ambiance/environment is very upbeat and fun.  Like a chill party every afternoon and evening as long as the weather cooperates.  GM, if you come to Redmond and want tacos go by La Frontera.  Dive-looking place along the highway, and always full of my Mexican friends.  Not the market, but the run down restaurant building right by the road.  Authentic, excellent tacos.  Al Pastor and carnitas are just...so good.  I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks late this month/early August or I'd buy you a beer at Wild Ride.

Spork is fantastic.  

@Drunken knight A nicer restaurant downtown is Zydeco.  It's the favorite of both my wife and mine in Bend.  If you want a bigger meal, get the barbecue shrimp and grits for an app to share with your wife, and then order a meal.  Or do what I do, order the shrimp and grits for your meal and call it good.  In my opinion it is an AMAZING dish.

Pine Tavern is a Bend institution and is very good.  You might not want much more than the scones and honey butter.  Or wait and have an order for dessert.

El Sancho on the East side is a good place for tacos if you want more casual/patio eating that is popular with locals.

I’ve been to Bend close to 10 times over the past two years coming down from PDX. Bone Yard and 10 Barrel are head and shoulders better than Deschutes. I’m just not a big fan of their beer. And 10 Barrel is now owned by InBev in case that matters to anyone. 

A fun experience is the Midtown Yacht Club food cart pod with it’s own tap room. Lot’s of food carts and lot’s beer / cider on tap in the fridges. 

A good breakfast or to go spot is Rockin Daves over on the east side. A nice place to hit if you are planning to drive to the top of Pilot Butte.  

Bend Senior High's mascot is the Lava Bears.  The "Bend Over Bears" joke wrote itself for those of us competing with them in athletics.
I appreciate the unique name though. I hate when schools are lazy and just do Cougars or Eagles. 

Ilov80s said:
I appreciate the unique name though. I hate when schools are lazy and just do Cougars or Eagles. 

SFBayDuck said:
Then you should visit Tillamook, OR - home of The Cheesemakers. 

Lazy: Redmond Panthers ("Let's goooooo RedMOND PaaanTHERS!! FIGHT for VicTO-RYYYYY!")

Unique: Arlington Honkers (My cousin played football for Arlington in the 80's.  He's told me many times about getting crushed on the field, and then in the locker room hearing the victors in the locker room next door, loudly "honking" like geese, rubbing dirt in the wounds of the vanquished :shameshameshame: ).

urbanhack said:
I’ve been to Bend close to 10 times over the past two years coming down from PDX. Bone Yard and 10 Barrel are head and shoulders better than Deschutes. I’m just not a big fan of their beer. And 10 Barrel is now owned by InBev in case that matters to anyone. 

A fun experience is the Midtown Yacht Club food cart pod with it’s own tap room. Lot’s of food carts and lot’s beer / cider on tap in the fridges. 

A good breakfast or to go spot is Rockin Daves over on the east side. A nice place to hit if you are planning to drive to the top of Pilot Butte.  

10 Barrel's pubs are my Bend favorites, but they've fallen out of favor with a portion of the locals who don't favor other locals striking it rich via corporate buy-outs.  The quality has not dropped off, so to them I say "Mozell Tov.  You are living the dream!"

Dave's is a local haunt, and a nice leisurely breakfast can also be enjoyed at McKay Cottage.  I just didn't mention breakfast because drunken knight sounded like he'd be tied up in the am.

Lazy: Redmond Panthers ("Let's goooooo RedMOND PaaanTHERS!! FIGHT for VicTO-RYYYYY!")

Unique: Arlington Honkers (My cousin played football for Arlington in the 80's.  He's told me many times about getting crushed on the field, and then in the locker room hearing the victors in the locker room next door, loudly "honking" like geese, rubbing dirt in the wounds of the vanquished :shameshameshame: ).
Love the Honkers. The best in Michigan that I have encountered are the River Rats, the Martians, the Railsplitters and the Dough Boys. I think River Rats are my favorite because when the HS opened in the 60s they polled the kids to pick the mascot. Someone got the funny idea of putting River Rats as a write in option and all the kids went with it. The  Ann Arbor school board hated it but it just caught on and stuck. 

Roll in in about an hour. Reading menus.  As we would expect… many bier friendly items (burgers, wings, pretzels, etc.)

zydeco and spork are sounding a little more unique.

we have a place like midtown yacht club near us.  That looks good as well

I’d been to St Francis School several times before, but we went there with my local buddy last night and he took us up a couple of flights of stairs, through like a broom closet door and there was a little 15-person cocktail bar hidden in there. Really cool, speakeasy vibe. 

I’d been to St Francis School several times before, but we went there with my local buddy last night and he took us up a couple of flights of stairs, through like a broom closet door and there was a little 15-person cocktail bar hidden in there. Really cool, speakeasy vibe. 
.. With our 16 yr old.  Appropriate?

Roll in in about an hour. Reading menus.  As we would expect… many bier friendly items (burgers, wings, pretzels, etc.)

zydeco and spork are sounding a little more unique.

we have a place like midtown yacht club near us.  That looks good as well

Head's up...Zydeco's online booking system showing them booked up Fri/Sat nights.  Earliest dinner available Sunday is 7:45.  If you want it you might want to reserve that now.

Head's up...Zydeco's online booking system showing them booked up Fri/Sat nights.  Earliest dinner available Sunday is 7:45.  If you want it you might want to reserve that now.
👍

tonight might be best opportunity.  I am sure we will have team dinners throughout 

We have a game at 2:45 tomorrow 

11:45 and 1:15 on Saturday 

Sunday is tbd

big sky park if anyone wants to meet and watch some hs women’s lacrosse 🤣🤣🤣

Boneyard last night. It was fine. Mrs and daughter ordered Kalua pork bowls. I ordered wings.. we shared dessert pretzels. 90% of beer list is ipa. Got an excellent barrel aged beer.

lunch today at Chow.  Really good selection and execution.

Users who are viewing this thread