What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals sign Cedric Benson (1 Viewer)

ahill84006

Footballguy
From KFFL:

Bengals | Benson signed

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:06:54 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced they have signed free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

His attitude and off-the-field behaviour make him a perfect fit for Cinn imo.

Perry has looked slow and mediocre imo. This could devolve into a RBBC situation down the road. Fun times.

Did I miss something here? Didn't Watson perform pretty well in Johnson's place last year? He doesn't appear to have even gotten a shot. I've been holding him thinking it was only a matter of time with Perry, but if they're signing Benson, that looks like a sign to cut bait.

He's depth...

Bengals No. 3 tailback DeDe Dorsey is expected to miss at least a few weeks with a hamstring strain.

Kenny Watson (hamstring) also looks unlikely to be ready for Week 5. The team is exploring free agents, but Shaun Alexander isn't expected to sign.

Did I miss something here? Didn't Watson perform pretty well in Johnson's place last year? He doesn't appear to have even gotten a shot. I've been holding him thinking it was only a matter of time with Perry, but if they're signing Benson, that looks like a sign to cut bait.
Watson would never be a solid fantasy producer, but he is a solid NFL back. He can block and catch the ball, and does a fine job as a runner. Maybe he still gets that chance. Benson might have been signed simply to provide depth. I actually like the Benson signing. Perry has shown he can't really do much as a starter. Benson is a low risk, high reward guy.

Anything could happen.....See the Lions situation where Rudi is now the starter over K. Smith.

Could be:

Perry=K. Smith

Benson=Rudi

Watson would never be a solid fantasy producer, but he is a solid NFL back. He can block and catch the ball, and does a fine job as a runner. Maybe he still gets that chance. Benson might have been signed simply to provide depth. I actually like the Benson signing. Perry has shown he can't really do much as a starter. Benson is a low risk, high reward guy.
In 2007 while spelling Rudi, he was doing about 5 YPC, and catching a few balls out of the backfield. Are you saying he just can't be an all year starter? I'm not sure what that's based on.Of course, looking a bit closer, didn't realize he was 30, but you'd figure he'd be pretty fresh.

First off, Chris Perry has done more than I expected. i.e. stayed healthy.

How can they not realize its the line that is the problem, not the skilled positions. I don't see this signing helping the Bengals, but I do see it hurting Perry's fantasy value (however low that may be).

:sigh:

His attitude and off-the-field behaviour make him a perfect fit for Cinn imo. Perry has looked slow and mediocre imo. This could devolve into a RBBC situation down the road. Fun times.
As a Perry owner I actually like Perry more because of this move. I'd have been worried if they had signed Alexander but Benson is a bum and they will get nothing out of him. The Bears line last year is twice as good as what Cinci has now.Also, why has nobody gone after Kenton Keith? You'd think he'd be cheaper, he's a good special teams guy and doesn't have as much baggage.

Well maybe, just maybe, he will have learned from his mistakes and take his job seriously this time............... nah, who am I kidding.

Is there any chance in hell that Cedric is in shape? Maybe getting cut finally motivated him, but seriously, I can't imagine him being ready for weeks...

Seriously, you can write stuff this good. When I first read it I thought it was a joke. What are they thinking?

Anything could happen.....See the Lions situation where Rudi is now the starter over K. Smith. Could be:Perry=K. SmithBenson=Rudi
Benson is destined to be a carear backup. He was given the starting job last year and looked like a backup so this year he's going to be playin the correct role.

Since I lost Mendenhall last night , I took a chance on him. The waiver wire is picked pretty clean. Guess I could've gone Davenport instead..... :lmao:

Since I lost Mendenhall last night , I took a chance on him. The waiver wire is picked pretty clean. Guess I could've gone Davenport instead..... :lmao:
Why not pick up Moore since Mendys out, was he not on the WW? Benson might have more value since Parker could be back after the bye.

Mike Brown at his finest looking for a deal. First its Chris Henry now Benson?

No value here IMO, Benson is as slow as Rudi and can't break runs outside or tackles. Mike Brown perspective is Benson is Rudi with a cheaper price tag.

With the state of the Bengals line I see Cedric making little to no impact. Possible short yardage back due to Perry's size and he's probably out of shape.

Hey man, I'll let you guys sleep on him.

Regardless of everything else, he is an NFL top 5 pick and he is the greatest to ever play in Texas HS football history.

He was hated in the locker room in CHI from day one for a few reasons:

1) He is not the most likeable guy. At Texas he ostracized himself from his teammates and had an air to him as if he felt like he was on a higher level than everyone else. It was not the same kind of self-ostracism that Ricky took part in. That was social anxiety disorder. Ced claimed that he suffered from the same problem since Ricky is his idol, but that was not it. He had a big head and didn't want to be on a "team" with people he thought were beneath him. Trust me.

2) the defense's love for thomas jones which led to them hitting him hard as hell in practice.

Seeing him now and then here in Austin, I can tell you that the same attitude does not seem to really be there anymore. The guy looks like he has been through some things and exudes what it is to be humble. He has been killed in the media and in the public eye and he has made some mistakes that might make him not take that god-given ability for granted anymore.

He has talent that is scary.

If he has his head in the right place, he can even play behind that line in Cincy. Surely better than Perry or Dorsey.

He has an on/off switch. It was "off" the WHOLE TIME in Chicago.

If he flips the switch you have a stud. I can tell you from seeing him, he looks and acts different. I can't really explain it, but I picked him up in all leagues and I'm gonna give it 2 weeks.

Mike Brown at his finest looking for a deal. First its Chris Henry now Benson?No value here IMO, Benson is as slow as Rudi and can't break runs outside or tackles. Mike Brown perspective is Benson is Rudi with a cheaper price tag. With the state of the Bengals line I see Cedric making little to no impact. Possible short yardage back due to Perry's size and he's probably out of shape.
I think this is all just a ploy to get Amy Winehouse in to sing the National Anthem.Other than that, it doesn't really matter. Barry Sanders would have problems behind that line. Possible silver lining: Maybe Cedric gets it a yard or two closer to the line of scrimmage before he fumbles, so at least the defense will have better field position.In other words, I agree completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
wait wait wait... let me get this straight. They cut Rudi Johnson... to sign.... Cedric Benson. Wow. Also.. I guess it's easier for Roger Goodell, he only has to watch one team with all the misfits on it instead of having to go to different cities.

DeDe Dorsey to IR

Updating an earlier report, DeDe Dorsey has reportedly been placed on season-ending IR due to his hamstring injury, according to ProFootballTalk.com. The Bengals signed Cedric Benson as the corresponding move.

Our View: Dorsey held no value with a 1.6 average on five rushing attempts this season, and won't be missed as a fantasy player.

Hey man, I'll let you guys sleep on him. Regardless of everything else, he is an NFL top 5 pick and he is the greatest to ever play in Texas HS football history. He was hated in the locker room in CHI from day one for a few reasons:1) He is not the most likeable guy. At Texas he ostracized himself from his teammates and had an air to him as if he felt like he was on a higher level than everyone else. It was not the same kind of self-ostracism that Ricky took part in. That was social anxiety disorder. Ced claimed that he suffered from the same problem since Ricky is his idol, but that was not it. He had a big head and didn't want to be on a "team" with people he thought were beneath him. Trust me. 2) the defense's love for thomas jones which led to them hitting him hard as hell in practice.Seeing him now and then here in Austin, I can tell you that the same attitude does not seem to really be there anymore. The guy looks like he has been through some things and exudes what it is to be humble. He has been killed in the media and in the public eye and he has made some mistakes that might make him not take that god-given ability for granted anymore.He has talent that is scary.If he has his head in the right place, he can even play behind that line in Cincy. Surely better than Perry or Dorsey. He has an on/off switch. It was "off" the WHOLE TIME in Chicago. If he flips the switch you have a stud. I can tell you from seeing him, he looks and acts different. I can't really explain it, but I picked him up in all leagues and I'm gonna give it 2 weeks.
Thanks, I appreciate this post, that's some good insight we're not going to read anywhere else. :ptts: I'll keep a close eye on Benson FF-wise.I like this move by the Bengals, they're at least taking a chance on a RB that could produce, as opposed to SA for example. :shrug:

Wonder why they didn't promote James Johnson from the practice squad?

He looked good in the preseason and Lewis was apparently high on him.

Any Bengals homers with any insight?

Hey man, I'll let you guys sleep on him. Regardless of everything else, he is an NFL top 5 pick and he is the greatest to ever play in Texas HS football history. He was hated in the locker room in CHI from day one for a few reasons:1) He is not the most likeable guy. At Texas he ostracized himself from his teammates and had an air to him as if he felt like he was on a higher level than everyone else. It was not the same kind of self-ostracism that Ricky took part in. That was social anxiety disorder. Ced claimed that he suffered from the same problem since Ricky is his idol, but that was not it. He had a big head and didn't want to be on a "team" with people he thought were beneath him. Trust me. 2) the defense's love for thomas jones which led to them hitting him hard as hell in practice.Seeing him now and then here in Austin, I can tell you that the same attitude does not seem to really be there anymore. The guy looks like he has been through some things and exudes what it is to be humble. He has been killed in the media and in the public eye and he has made some mistakes that might make him not take that god-given ability for granted anymore.He has talent that is scary.If he has his head in the right place, he can even play behind that line in Cincy. Surely better than Perry or Dorsey. He has an on/off switch. It was "off" the WHOLE TIME in Chicago. If he flips the switch you have a stud. I can tell you from seeing him, he looks and acts different. I can't really explain it, but I picked him up in all leagues and I'm gonna give it 2 weeks.
It's puff puff pass, not puff puff puff til it's gone.

I'm not convinced Perry is done. He got shut down sunday, but his three games prior to that he was building up steam. Sunday was a little different since Fitzpatrick was plugged in at the last minute and there was no respect for the passing game. I hope they give him another shot.

That being said, if they give up on Perry I don't see some free agent stepping in and lighting it up. I mean, c'mon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread