What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals sign Cedric Benson (1 Viewer)

bb7278 said:
Benson has the talent but lacked the desire, looks like he just might have found some motivation and Perry has slime eel hands.

Talent+motivation+opportunity= success

He might just be a decent RB#3 in the near future, stay tuned.....
I'm not sold on that.Maybe it was he lack of desire that made him run looking at the ground instead of where he was going.

Maybe he just needs some better "coaching up", although I doubt he'll get that with the Bengals.

What I can say is that running through gaping holes in college does not necessarily equal talent.

I'm amazed there isn't more discussion of this. A top-5 drafted RB on the brink of potentially taking over a starting job? :mellow:
I agree. I have Perry and am happy that I picked up Ced last week...as happy as a Bengal rb owner can be anyway. I don't understand all the hate on Benson posts in here. I can understand being bitter about past performance..fine..but this is no longer debating about whether or not to use a top 3 dynasty draft pick on a first round rb. This is about picking up a former top 5 pick who is (was) on the waiver wire and quite possibly behind the worst starting rb in the NFL. Big difference.

I'm amazed there isn't more discussion of this. A top-5 drafted RB on the brink of potentially taking over a starting job? :unsure:
I agree. I have Perry and am happy that I picked up Ced last week...as happy as a Bengal rb owner can be anyway. I don't understand all the hate on Benson posts in here. I can understand being bitter about past performance..fine..but this is no longer debating about whether or not to use a top 3 dynasty draft pick on a first round rb. This is about picking up a former top 5 pick who is (was) on the waiver wire and quite possibly behind the worst starting rb in the NFL. Big difference.
:) If he doesn't pan out, who cares? Just dump him for next week's waiver wire fodder. No risk, with solid (not huge) upside.

By next week, would it shock anyone to see:

Benson=Main RB (Rudi Johnson)

Perry=Third downs

Watson=Depth

Seems like they've given Perry every chance to succeed, but his lack of production has them rethinking their options.

Plus, I'm guessing Benson was signed near the league minimum, while Perry's due $1M in 2009. If they're not sold on Perry as an every-down back, they have nothing to lose by giving Benson an extended look.

I'm a Perry/Benson owner who just hopes one of these guys emerges as a solid WR3. I actually like Benson's chances.

i own both perry and benson. gut tells me lewis is trying to hand the job to benson. benson may grab it and never look back.

question is with perry's fumbles in mind,

who is the RB you keep? benson or perry?

I don't disagree that Benson's start in the NFL has been less than stellar. However, the simple fact remains that the quickest way to lose your job in the NFL (regardless of position) is to continuously turn the ball over. If you are going to fumble the ball 5 times in 5 games (with an additional 3 fumbles that were recovered by the Bengals), then you had better be putting up more than 2.8 YPG.

I own Perry and would therefore selfishly like to see him hang onto the starting job, but Benson has a very real shot of taking over the starting RB job in Cincy, regardless of his past production.

Sadly, I have to monitor this as well having CP and Ced. The media's really been playing up the old rematch of Thomas Jones vs. Ced Benson, fwiw. Here's part of the latest update from the Bengals site:

No one is saying if Benson is going to start in just his second week in pads this year and after just six workouts with the Bengals this Sunday against the Jets. But a couple of things were clear Wednesday: He's going to play more than he did last week in Dallas (10 carries for 30 yards) and the Bengals are giving him the hugs he didnt get in Chicago.

On Monday head coach Marvin Lewis praised Benson's pad level and hard-charging running style. On Wednesday offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski expressed appreciation for telling Benson the things he didn't feel comfortable with as well as what he did feel good doing.

"He's a talented player; he's a very talented player," Bratkowski said. "I've been very impressed with his approach to it. He's been very serious about it. He wants to know as much as he can now. He's been very honest with me and I've asked him to be about, 'What do you feel comfortable with at this point?'

Benson is comfortable running the ball, but as far as going in depth, like going in the slot or going in motion, "we haven't got that far yet," Bratkowski said.

But he said Benson started getting some third-down snaps Wednesday, a sure sign his role figures to expand.

"You've got to be open so everybody can be on the same page," Benson said. "They're not trying to put me in situations where I'm unsure or uncertain because then you can't perform your best. We talked a little bit about that. I appreciate them allowing me to express that."

No word who is going to start at running back. Perry is coming off his second straight devastating fourth-quarter fumble. Kenny Watson is back after missing the last two games with a hamstring problem and he had a career day against the Jets last year with 130 yards.

Bratkowski seemed to indicate it would be by committee and by feel from the press box.

Sadly, I have to monitor this as well having CP and Ced. The media's really been playing up the old rematch of Thomas Jones vs. Ced Benson, fwiw. Here's part of the latest update from the Bengals site:

No one is saying if Benson is going to start in just his second week in pads this year and after just six workouts with the Bengals this Sunday against the Jets. But a couple of things were clear Wednesday: He's going to play more than he did last week in Dallas (10 carries for 30 yards) and the Bengals are giving him the hugs he didnt get in Chicago.

On Monday head coach Marvin Lewis praised Benson's pad level and hard-charging running style. On Wednesday offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski expressed appreciation for telling Benson the things he didn't feel comfortable with as well as what he did feel good doing.

"He's a talented player; he's a very talented player," Bratkowski said. "I've been very impressed with his approach to it. He's been very serious about it. He wants to know as much as he can now. He's been very honest with me and I've asked him to be about, 'What do you feel comfortable with at this point?'

Benson is comfortable running the ball, but as far as going in depth, like going in the slot or going in motion, "we haven't got that far yet," Bratkowski said.

But he said Benson started getting some third-down snaps Wednesday, a sure sign his role figures to expand.

"You've got to be open so everybody can be on the same page," Benson said. "They're not trying to put me in situations where I'm unsure or uncertain because then you can't perform your best. We talked a little bit about that. I appreciate them allowing me to express that."

No word who is going to start at running back. Perry is coming off his second straight devastating fourth-quarter fumble. Kenny Watson is back after missing the last two games with a hamstring problem and he had a career day against the Jets last year with 130 yards.

Bratkowski seemed to indicate it would be by committee and by feel from the press box.
Good stuff :thumbup: I've never liked Benson but Perry has done absolutely nothing so far except fumble. His 2.8 ypc isn't going to keep him starting very long. It's obviously not the best situation with their line, offense, division but the opportunity is there for him to be worthy of a pickup.

I have Perry and Benson is still out there. I can't afford to have 2 Bengal running backs on the roster, and am giving serious thought to cutting ties with Perry to pick up Benson. The word out of Bengals camp seems to indicate that they are going to give Benson a shot. IMO, Perry had his opportunity to produce and has not been able to do so. That being said, I have a hard time believing that Benson will be able to perform on this team.

Unbelievable! You'd think that the CIN scouts would have somehow found that Benson can't catch or block so why on earth would you use him on 3rd down?

Perry hasn't shown us anything. I think if I were a Perry owner I'd drop him in favor of Benson. Give me the guy who hasn't had a chance here yet versus the guy who has had a chance and stunk up the joint. Perry isn't suddenly going to become Adrian Peterson overnight.

Perry hasn't shown us anything. I think if I were a Perry owner I'd drop him in favor of Benson. Give me the guy who hasn't had a chance here yet versus the guy who has had a chance and stunk up the joint. Perry isn't suddenly going to become Adrian Peterson overnight.
especially putting the ball on the ground and in the critical situations he has. Bad YPC + fumbles = lose job.

anyone think they'd like to have Rudi back right about now?
No offense, but why would the Bengals be better off with Rudi? I've heard this mentioned quite a few times here and don't follow the logic. Rudi's not the same back he was, has a ton of mileage and the Bengals are a rebuilding team. While you can certainly argue that Perry and Benson are not starting NFL caliber rb's, at least they're young, have some decent upside and not many miles on them collectively. Is it that hard to believe that the Bengals would want to phase out two "old guys" in Rudi and Watson that have ZERO upside in favor of Perry and Benson? I'm no Bengal fan and I can't believe I just spent 2 minutes typing this, but it makes sense to me.

Steel Town said:
I can't afford to have 2 Bengal running backs on the roster, and am giving serious thought to cutting ties with Perry to pick up Benson.
I'm not at that point yet, but I'd just as soon see Perry lose the job outright. If Benson's really going to start seeing snaps on third down, he may just be on the verge of taking over.

Steel Town said:
I can't afford to have 2 Bengal running backs on the roster, and am giving serious thought to cutting ties with Perry to pick up Benson.
I'm not at that point yet, but I'd just as soon see Perry lose the job outright. If Benson's really going to start seeing snaps on third down, he may just be on the verge of taking over.
I just can't see benson taking 3rd down snaps during the game, he couldnt block well, pickup the blitz good or catch before. from that little blurb it sounded like they were just throwing eveything at him in practice one day to see how he responded. Palmer is already banged up, no way benson is in there on third downs imo, but then again this is the bengals.

Bengals looking to Benson to ignite running game

By JOE KAY

The Associated Press

Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson (32) turns the corner in the second quarter against the Dallas Cowboys during an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 5, 2008, in Irving, Texas.

Matt Slocum

Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson (32) turns the corner in the second quarter against the Dallas Cowboys during an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 5, 2008, in Irving, Texas.

CINCINNATI (AP) - Check out the Cincinnati Bengals' rushing leaders.

Their top runner? Chris Perry, who has only 239 yards in five games with a paltry 2.8 yards per carry. Oh, he's also fumbled five times, losing three.

The next two in line? Quarterbacks.

No, Carson Palmer isn't directing the wishbone in Cincinnati these days. Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't run the option during his one-game fill-in role. But there they are, ranked among the top three when it comes to carrying the ball in Cincinnati.

That's one of the biggest problems with this 0-5 team, and it has to change. Cedric Benson might be the catalyst.

The newcomer was impressive in his debut last Sunday, a 31-22 loss at Dallas. Bengals coaches are trying to find more ways to get him involved in an offense that he's still learning. They liked the way he ran between the tackles, giving Cincinnati the up-the-middle threat they've been missing this season.

"I thought he was pretty decisive in his cuts, in his movement, which is important now where we are," coach Marvin Lewis said. "(It's important) that we go ahead and we let the guys up front work and kind of ride the wave a little bit. That's one thing that we continue to coach Chris on very hard, to take the ball vertically and then let things happen."

The Bengals signed Benson as a free agent last week, after running back DeDe Dorsey suffered a season-ending hamstring injury. Benson, who had been out of football since the Bears released him in the offseason, carried 10 times for 30 yards against Dallas, making the most of his limited role in an unfamiliar offense.

"It's a lot different," Benson said. "It's a totally different playbook, totally different calls, totally different run schemes. It's night and day."

It could be the start of something familiar in Cincinnati.

The Bengals' running game was at its best when Rudi Johnson - a tackle-to-tackle runner - alternated with Perry in 2005 to help Cincinnati make the playoffs. Perry is a more accomplished pass receiver and outside runner, but has been hurt most of the last two years. Johnson was released before the start of this season.

If Benson can catch on, the Bengals might have another duo.

"I wouldn't compare Rudi and Chris to Chris and Cedric," Palmer said. "Those three guys all have three different running styles. But the good thing that Chris and Rudi did was complement each other well, and I think Chris and Cedric can complement each other.

"We just need to see more from Cedric. We haven't seen him that much. The more he's around, the longer the look coaches can get at him and see what more of what his strengths and weaknesses are and build a little bit more of a package for him down the road."

The Bengals are averaging 78 yards on the ground per game, third-worst in the NFL. Only Detroit and Indianapolis are worse.

If Perry keeps going nowhere and fumbling, the Bengals might rearrange their plans as fast as Benson can learn the playbook. His fumble in Dallas, after the Bengals had recovered an onside kick, changed the momentum in the second half and put Cincinnati in line for another loss.

More turnovers could mean less chances for Perry.

"Well, we have to take care of the football," Lewis said. "I'm not going to sit here and explain how we're going to handle that situation. We want Chris to take care of the ball and do that just like everybody else that handles the football on this team is asked to do. As Cedric learns more about this offense and understands where he needs to go, his role has an opportunity to expand."

http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/833992.html

Benson appears to be a changed man and a good fit in Cincinnati?

RB 3? Starting with confidence?

Just had a Perry owner offer him for Roy Williams...I'm not high on Roy, but I have absolutely no faith in Perry right now...I think Benson will have the starting job within the next two weeks.

Oof.

Still think it can happen but I thought he had a decent shot at doing more against the Jets.

To be continued. Just hoping for RB4, bye week, trade bait type value..

Lewis looking at benching Perry for Benson, Watson

Monday, October 13, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Is Bengals starting tailback Chris Perry about to get benched in favor of Cedric Benson or Kenny Watson?

Sure sounds like it.

Perry rushed 11 times for 14 yards (1.3) with a long gain of four yards.

"We're going to look at all that," head coach Marvin Lewis said in the aftermath of the Bengals' 26-14 loss to the New York Jets.

"We need to look at it and take a hard look, and see what's the best thing for us to go forward. It's a combination of things. I'm not going to sit here and elaborate much on it now. We've got to do better. It's not good enough."

Marvin Lewis Press Conference

October 13, 2008

Q: Is Cedric Benson an option to get involved more in the offense?

ML: We had 30 first and second downs yesterday, and we would like to get Cedric more involved. But he was in there on eight of those 30. We would like to get him involved more, but our two longest drives were in the one-minute drill. We don't feel real comfortable with him having to deal with all that can go on in those types of situations right now. We'll continue to work on him, and Cedric was here real early this morning, so he wants to get better. So we'll keep trying to get him involved more.

Hey man, I'll let you guys sleep on him. Regardless of everything else, he is an NFL top 5 pick and he is the greatest to ever play in Texas HS football history. He was hated in the locker room in CHI from day one for a few reasons:1) He is not the most likeable guy. At Texas he ostracized himself from his teammates and had an air to him as if he felt like he was on a higher level than everyone else. It was not the same kind of self-ostracism that Ricky took part in. That was social anxiety disorder. Ced claimed that he suffered from the same problem since Ricky is his idol, but that was not it. He had a big head and didn't want to be on a "team" with people he thought were beneath him. Trust me. 2) the defense's love for thomas jones which led to them hitting him hard as hell in practice.Seeing him now and then here in Austin, I can tell you that the same attitude does not seem to really be there anymore. The guy looks like he has been through some things and exudes what it is to be humble. He has been killed in the media and in the public eye and he has made some mistakes that might make him not take that god-given ability for granted anymore.He has talent that is scary. If he has his head in the right place, he can even play behind that line in Cincy. Surely better than Perry or Dorsey. He has an on/off switch. It was "off" the WHOLE TIME in Chicago. If he flips the switch you have a stud. I can tell you from seeing him, he looks and acts different. I can't really explain it, but I picked him up in all leagues and I'm gonna give it 2 weeks.
I was researching some old stuff for my draft and I came across this post. HELLUVA call there! :bag: I admit, I totally gave up hope. I had him his first two years in Chicago, and he was so frustrating to own.

Users who are viewing this thread