What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Berries and Personal Sanity (1 Viewer)

I feel like this could be how World War III ends up starting. Stories like this are valuable to people like me. It makes us feel good about being single.
We each have our bugaboos that could lead to Armageddon if we really pushed it.

If there's a hill that I am fully prepared to die on, it's loading the dishwasher. Our plates fit perfectly in the allotted space provided. Big dishes on the bottom tray in the back. Bowls on the front left, and small dishes on the front right. On the top shelf, more bowls or baking stuff fit perfectly in the middle, and any cups or mugs fit fine on the outside rows. There really isn't anything to discuss or debate here. It's the most efficient way to load the machine, and that will get it filled to max capacity. Everything comes out nice and clean. Period, end of report.

The missus just randomly throws things in haphazardly (if not randomly). I don't know if she's anti conformity or anti efficiency, but the way she puts things in the dishwasher is flat out uncouth, uncalled for, and unsavory. It boggles the mind and makes no sense. The way she loads things, it's about 30% of what I get in there in my well-organized manner. It's not like my way is rocket science, it's very simple and we've been doing it that way for years.

However, she alleges (with no evidence to support her claim) that my way leads to having dishes that are not 100% clean because the dishwasher is "too full." That then morphed to: she didn't like dirty dishes lying around for a couple of days and it took too long to fill the dishwasher (she didn't like the potential foul aroma . . . which there really isn't any as the dishes are rinsed off before they get put in the dishwasher). That pivoted to: there were things she wanted / needed to use again the next day, so she had to run the dishwasher to get them clean (even well below capacity). Then that switched to I put things in the dishwasher that really should be washed by hand. I, of course, pointed to the writing on said items that said "dishwasher safe."

Her hot button topic is doing laundry. She uses all 38 functions of the washer and dryer to their fullest. She will sort and separate the laundry based on colors, fabrics, textures, etc. and wash and dry them on the proper settings. More power to her if that's how she wants to do it. I won't even argue that that's the proper way to do it. However, for my stuff, I throw in my clothes in the washer, put in the detergent and fabric softener, pick a mid-range setting, and hit start. I don't separate anything. I don't put anything inside out. I'll wash towels with clothes. I'll put delicates in with sweatshirts. I'll put gym cloths in mixed with dress shirts. I don't button or unbutton anything. Total anarchy. Dogs and cats living together. Same thing for the dryer. Throw stuff in, turn it on, it comes out how it comes out.

Her way is certainly the proper and correct way to wash clothes, but I really am not that into it or care all that much. My stuff gets clean, smells appropriate, and gets the job done. She insists my clothes get wrinkly, I don't hang stuff up in a timely manner, and they don't get as clean as they should be. Plus, I don't fold things like they are going on the shelf at a retail store. This infuriated her so much and caused her so much consternation that she now has rescinded my right to do laundry. She has taken over that task and doesn't want me washing anything. That was not my intent, but hurray for me in the end. One less thing to worry about.

She still won't budge on the dishwasher though, even though I told her I would take that on as my responsibility. She wasn't interested in ceding that job to me exclusively. Since I don't have to do laundry now, I keep my comments about the dishwasher to myself now.

Last edited:
I feel like this could be how World War III ends up starting. Stories like this are valuable to people like me. It makes us feel good about being single.

If there's a hill that I am fully prepared to die on, it's loading the dishwasher. Our plates fit perfectly in the allotted space provided. Big dishes on the bottom tray in the back. Bowls on the front left, and small dishes on the front right. On the top shelf, more bowls or baking stuff fit perfectly in the middle, and any cups or mugs fit fine on the outside rows. There really isn't anything to discuss or debate here. It's the most efficient way to load the machine, and that will get it filled to max capacity. Everything comes out nice and clean. Period, end of report.

The missus just randomly throws things in haphazardly (if not randomly). I don't know if she's anti conformity or anti efficiency, but the way she puts thing in the dishwasher is flat out uncouth, uncalled for, and unsavory. It boggles the mind and makes no sense. The way she loads things, it's about 30% of what I get in there in my well-organized manner. It's not like my way is rocket science, it's very simple and we've been doing it that way for years.

However, she alleges (with no evidence to support her claim) that my way leads to having dishes that are not 100% clean because the dishwasher is "too full." That then morphed to: she didn't like dirty dishes lying around for a couple of days and it took too long to fill the dishwasher (she didn't like the potential foul aroma . . . which there really isn't any as the dishes are rinsed off before they get put in the dishwasher). That pivoted to: there were things she wanted / needed to use again the next day, so she had to run the dishwasher to get them clean (even well below capacity). Then that switched to I put things in the dishwasher that really should be washed by hand. I, of course, pointed to the writing on said items that said "dishwasher safe."

Her hot button topic is doing laundry. She uses all 38 functions of the washer and dryer to their fullest. She will sort and separate the laundry based on colors, fabrics, textures, etc. and wash and dry them on the proper settings. More power to her if that's how she wants to do it. I won't even argue that that's the proper way to do it. However, for my stuff, I throw in my clothes in the washer, put in the detergent and fabric softener, pick a mid-range setting, and hit start. I don't separate anything. I don't put anything inside out. I'll wash towels with clothes. I'll put delicates in with sweatshirts. I'll put gym cloths in mixed with dress shirts. I don't button or unbutton anything. Total anarchy. Dogs and cats living together. Same thing for the dryer. Throw stuff in, turn it on, it comes out how it comes out.

Her way is certainly the proper and correct way to wash clothes, but I really am not that into it or care all that much. My stuff gets clean, smells appropriate, and gets the job done. She insists my clothes get wrinkly, I don't hang stuff up in a timely manner, and they don't get as clean as they should be. Plus, I don't fold things like they are going on the shelf at a retail store. This infuriated her so much and caused her so much consternation that she now has rescinded my right to do laundry. She has taken over that task and doesn't want me washing anything. That was not my intent, but hurray for me in the end. One less thing to worry about.

She still won't budge on the dishwasher though, even though I told her I would take that on as my responsibility. She wasn't interested in ceding that job to me exclusively. Since I don't have to do laundry now, I keep my comments about the dishwasher to myself now.
This postneeded multiple "Like" icons:

:thumbup: :lol: :heart: :banned:

If your account of the events here are indeed accurate, then your wife has some significant issues.
Seriously. Who likes raspberries and blackberries but not blueberries and strawberries?
I like raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Blueberries are nasty.

Mr likes strawberries and blackberries. He will tolerate a blueberry. He dislikes raspberries.

I guess it takes all sorts.

My niece won’t eat blueberries because she says “they look like mini-buttholes”.

The missus just randomly throws things in haphazardly (if not randomly). I don't know if she's anti conformity or anti efficiency, but the way she puts things in the dishwasher is flat out uncouth, uncalled for, and unsavory. It boggles the mind and makes no sense. The way she loads things, it's about 30% of what I get in there in my well-organized manner. It's not like my way is rocket science, it's very simple and we've been doing it that way for years.

Fabric softener?

<-- does the grocery shopping

wife & kids: "there's never anything to eat in the house! you don't buy things we like to eat!"

me: "make a list of the things you like and i'll buy them"

w&k (makes list): "buy these things"

fast forward two weeks and i'm throwing away all the things i was told they wanted me to buy because they'd eat it.

Blackberries>Strawberries>Blueberries>Raspberries

And piping hot blackberry cobbler with a scoop of vanilla is gold.

<-- does the grocery shopping

wife & kids: "there's never anything to eat in the house! you don't buy things we like to eat!"

me: "make a list of the things you like and i'll buy them"

w&k (makes list): "buy these things"

fast forward two weeks and i'm throwing away all the things i was told they wanted me to buy because they'd eat it.

The "One Year Rule" works.

Took my godson about two items to get with the program early on. He threw out some bread that had gotten moldy. I'm not going to force him to eat mold, but he was given the responsibility to track and rotate items to make sure there was no waste. So there was no more buying bread for a year. Which was OK in my book, as most bread isn't the healthiest thing in the entire world anyway. The other time was milk. So no buying milk for a year. Dairy intake had to be altered with yogurt and other things, etc, etc, but the objective lesson remains the same.

I'm glad he never threw out a piece of pizza. That might have been challenging.

Truckers work very hard. Farmers work very hard. The people who work in support systems for those folks work very hard. People who work at the grocery store or farmers markets work very hard. I see food waste as refusing to acknowledge the so many people who don't have regular food but also not honoring the labor of hard working people who toil to make sure we have these groceries available.

I recognize some things are a question of time, utility and practicality. I.E. saving money / not being wasteful / trying to maximize your budgets, etc, etc. Making your own laundry detergent is actually very involved. Something of that nature. I can see why some folks don't want to go that far. But not wasting food is something I believe anyone and any family can achieve if they really want to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread