What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best big TV for my buck? (1 Viewer)

gruecd

Footballguy
Hey guys, we just finished our basement, and I'm in the market for a big TV for the family room. Definitely something 75" or bigger. I'm not up on this stuff, and I really don't have the time/energy to do a bunch of research. We won't be doing any gaming, and I'm definitely not one of those guys who's gonna get all caught up in the "deepness of the blacks" and all that BS. Historically I've tended to buy either Samsung or Sony.

Given that I've already spent waaaaaay more money than I wanted on this basement project (while simultaneously having our kitchen updated), I'd like to keep this under $1,500. Any specific suggestions?

As an example, is there any reason why I don't just wanna buy this one at Best Buy for $1,200? It's Samsung, and the reviews seem pretty positive.

If you don't care about the details, buy the one you found.

There are so many good tv's now adays you can't go wrong if you are not a videophile. Just look for solid reviews and make sure you like the UI of the smart part of the TV.

The TCL Roku TVs are great values. I'm pretty sure they go up 75" and might have an 85" one. Their ease with using the apps is a lot smoother than Samsung TVs, imo.
I have a 65" TCL Roku and have had no issues with it. As mentioned, it's pretty brain dead simple.

That said, the one you posted is just as good. TV's have become much more of a commodity lately. Not going to go wrong with that Samsung.

I don't think you can really go wrong with buying a Samsung, Sony, or LG and I've heard good things about the TCL TVs. When we bought ours I spent some time looking at the picture quality on the $400 TVs and the $3,000 ones and while I may be a simpleton I couldn't tell any difference.

Cheaper TCL

Pricier Samsung
Add Hisense in between those...personally, I check all reviews at rtings.com, and that Samsung linked is a 6.7.

It's a quick check on that site on the model so no need to do in-depth research, just plug the model in, and boom you get an overall score.

I don't think you can really go wrong with buying a Samsung, Sony, or LG and I've heard good things about the TCL TVs. When we bought ours I spent some time looking at the picture quality on the $400 TVs and the $3,000 ones and while I may be a simpleton I couldn't tell any difference.
It really is hard to tell much difference when they're on display, as store lighting is often very different from in-home lighting and all the TVs are set to demo mode with super high contrasts and things like that. Still, even the cheaper ones are better than the original 4k TVs.

Sadly I over-analyzed all the various features of different models so I happen to notice imperfections in my Sony that other people wouldn't notice. Wish I'd bought an LG OLED.

@gruecd that's my advice...get an LG OLED or Sony OLED. It might cost 500 bucks more but is worth it if the TV is going to get a lot of use.

It really is hard to tell much difference when they're on display, as store lighting is often very different from in-home lighting and all the TVs are set to demo mode with super high contrasts and things like that. Still, even the cheaper ones are better than the original 4k TVs.

Sadly I over-analyzed all the various features of different models so I happen to notice imperfections in my Sony that other people wouldn't notice. Wish I'd bought an LG OLED.

@gruecd that's my advice...get an LG OLED or Sony OLED. It might cost 500 bucks more but is worth it if the TV is going to get a lot of use.
This is the correct answer, but the poster isn't looking to spend that type of money. But OLED in a basement is money well spent.

I laugh every time someone posts about a product and list their budget then immediately get responses that are for product at budget + some number. Never understood that :shrug:

I laugh every time someone posts about a product and list their budget then immediately get responses that are for product at budget + some number. Never understood that :shrug:
In this instance, for 500 more than what he wants to spend, he can get the 2nd best-rated TV on the market. OLED is the best period.

Because the OP is talking about doing the exact same thing I did, and I regret it at least once a week. Trying to help a guy out.

Oh...and in before "just wait 'til the Black Friday deals are out!"

Because the OP is talking about doing the exact same thing I did, and I regret it at least once a week. Trying to help a guy out.

Oh...and in before "just wait 'til the Black Friday deals are out!"
This is early Prime Deal access so it's essentially early Black Friday.

As an example, is there any reason why I don't just wanna buy this one at Best Buy for $1,200? It's Samsung, and the reviews seem pretty positive.
Thats solid TV. But what you will probably notice with that TV and the TCL's is that in a dark room or at night the black on those TVs will look washed out. I have the 4 series 65" TCL and a couple of the 4 series in 55". They are great TVs but black does look kind of gray when watched in a dark room or at night. I also have a Samsung Q6 series 75" TV in the living room. I love that TV. But the Tizen OS that the Samsung TVs come with is a little wonky to me and not my favorite. Perhaps thats because we've used Roku for years and the TCLs that I have are all Roku OS.

so what are the levels of quality in big screen TVs?

are there levels of quality by type - OLED, etc?

I may in the market in the next few months and don't know where to start - it will be a 90" though - and I don't want projection.

I may in the market in the next few months and don't know where to start - it will be a 90" though - and I don't want projection.
Yep, essentially it's OLED>>>>>everything else and it's not really close. OLED still comes with a premium price but it's getting better now that LG no longer has a stranglehold on the tech (they had an exclusive use agreement IIRC) you're seeing other brands come out with OLEDs.

In fact this year Samsung's OLED, which uses their quantum dot technology + OLED, is the highest-rated TV. First time since LG came out with their OLED that they haven't been at the top.

90" tv's aren't really a thing. 85" is the top of the regular consumer market.
I mean you could go with either of these options...Samsung 15k and LG 25k :lmao:

Bought the Sony. Looks like a sick deal. Thanks, guys!

If I wasn’t hemorrhaging money with my move right now this would be an easy purchase. Still thinking about it actually.
Too late. Sale is over.

Probably for the best. My 75” Sony is already good.

Not bad for the 55"

I mean you could go with either of these options...Samsung 15k and LG 25k :lmao:

dreamy ...hey the 85" drops down to $2.6K ...love it!! thanks man!:thumbup:

Stoked for you. And jealous too.

Almost exactly one year ago, I almost bought this TV on sale for $3,000. I couldn't pull the trigger. Got the X90CK (or last year's equivalent) instead for $1500 from Costco. I'm good with it, and had no regrets until today!

Yeah, when I was packing up all my stuff for my move, my Dad and I were carrying out the big a$$ box for my 75" Sony and he was suggesting I sell it to him "so I wouldn't have to ship it"

I'm mad at myself now for not taking that more seriously. Sell that one to my Dad and get this new beast delivered to Vegas. DAMNIT!

dreamy ...hey the 85" drops down to $2.6K ...love it!! thanks man!:thumbup:
Yep the 85/86 are the way to go. That will be my next I think but like to wait for the 8k models to become mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread