What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Buy (1 Viewer)

coopersdad

Footballguy
So I'll go on a little rant regarding Best Buy so that you or someone else may be aware of this before it happens to them.

Youngest son was heading off to college in August and wanted a new laptop. We head up to the local BB and he figures out which one he wants, what accessories he needs, etc. Had planned all along to put it on the debit card (not @chet shape w/ cash, but still), but assistant tells us that as a college student he can apply for a Best Buy card w/ no interest or fees for 12 months as long as the total amount is paid off in 12 months. I'm all for keeping my money, so I tell the son to sign up. Goes though the whole process and 2/3 ($2000) of the total will be put on the new card. 1st bill comes last month and I pay $200. Next bill comes today and I look it over, and low and behold there is a $59 annual fee added to the card.

Seems as if there are 3 cards that you can apply for via best buy when you check out 1 - A Best Buy card, 2 - Visa Best Buy Silver, and 3 - Visa Best Buy Gold. The Best Buy and Silver have no annual charges, but the gold does. None of this was explained to us at check out.

So I call the store and talk to the manager, and he says "it's policy to give you the best card that you qualify for". And I ask "what about the no fees and no interest" statement? He says "that is a best buy policy, the fee comes from the credit card company (bank)."

Needless to say, I had son call the CC company and cancel the account, and scheduled a payment at the end of the month for the remainder of the balance less the annual fee.

Wonder how many people...................

I don't even know why anyone shops at brick and mortars like Best Buy. Buying online gives the greatest selection, allowing you to find the best rated/reviewed product. Allows you to shop around for sales too. Going to a brick and mortar you're limited to the handful of options they have on hand. I don't get it.

You should go into a Best Buy location and count the # of employees grouped together shooting the sheet and refusing to help anyone.

So I'll go on a little rant regarding Best Buy so that you or someone else may be aware of this before it happens to them.

Youngest son was heading off to college in August and wanted a new laptop. We head up to the local BB and he figures out which one he wants, what accessories he needs, etc. Had planned all along to put it on the debit card (not @chet shape w/ cash, but still), but assistant tells us that as a college student he can apply for a Best Buy card w/ no interest or fees for 12 months as long as the total amount is paid off in 12 months. I'm all for keeping my money, so I tell the son to sign up. Goes though the whole process and 2/3 ($2000) of the total will be put on the new card. 1st bill comes last month and I pay $200. Next bill comes today and I look it over, and low and behold there is a $59 annual fee added to the card.

Seems as if there are 3 cards that you can apply for via best buy when you check out 1 - A Best Buy card, 2 - Visa Best Buy Silver, and 3 - Visa Best Buy Gold. The Best Buy and Silver have no annual charges, but the gold does. None of this was explained to us at check out.

So I call the store and talk to the manager, and he says "it's policy to give you the best card that you qualify for". And I ask "what about the no fees and no interest" statement? He says "that is a best buy policy, the fee comes from the credit card company (bank)."

Needless to say, I had son call the CC company and cancel the account, and scheduled a payment at the end of the month for the remainder of the balance less the annual fee.

Wonder how many people...................
Just be aware length of credit is one of the factors that goes into his credit rating. Cancelling a credit account so soon may have a significantly negative impact on his score depending on how much other credit history he has

A lot of people shop online, but then make their actual purchase in store. The main reasons are:

1) Immediacy. I want it now.
2) Even knowing exactly what they want, there is a group that feels they need to touch it/see it in real life to confirm.

Purchasing something, especially something expensive, at brick and mortar doesn't mean someone is lost in the 1980s.

Needless to say, I had son call the CC company and cancel the account, and scheduled a payment at the end of the month for the remainder of the balance less the annual fee...
Depending on the tone of the phone call the bank probably could have offered to waive the fee.

Needless to say, I had son call the CC company and cancel the account, and scheduled a payment at the end of the month for the remainder of the balance less the annual fee...
Depending on the tone of the phone call the bank probably could have offered to waive the fee.
Idk how a store card works, but it’s also possible that he could downgrade and have the annual fee removed. That way he keeps the benefit of the credit history, without the annual fee.

Users who are viewing this thread