What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Frank Sinatra Song (1 Viewer)

Best Frank Sinatra Song

• 1. My Way

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • 2. Come Fly With Me

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 3. Lady Is A Tramp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. My Kind Of Town

• 5. I've Got You Under My Skin

• 6. It Was A Very Good Year

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • 7. New York, New York

• 8. Summer Wind

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • 9. Fly Me To The Moon

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 10. Strangers In The Night

• 11. That's Life

• 12. I Get A Kick Out Of You

• 13. One For My Baby

• 14. All The Way

• 15. In The Wee Small Hours Of The Night

• 16. Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
A couple of weeks ago, I heard someone singing New York, New York and was completely floored with his excitement while singing it. :yes:

This is somewhat off-topic, but seeing Under My Skin on the list made me think of it. My wife dragged me to see this Michael Buble guy a couple weeks ago and it was actually a hell of a show.

Other: The Way You Look Tonight

By far my favorite of his signature tunes. Frankly, surprised it wasn't on the list :)
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: But of those listed, I'm torn between Summer Wind and Fly Me to the Moon.

If it were listed, I've got the World on a String would be up there as well.

Anybody know "Coffee in Brazil" "The Coffee Song?" I always liked that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost impossible to pick a favorite here

Best singer ever

Went with Thats Life since its my favorite at the moment

My Way, Way You Look Tonight, Summer Wind, Fly Me to the Moon

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm diggin' this thread!

My gut was "The Way You Look Tonight," so I picked "other."

"The Coffee Song" was mentioned, that's a great one, as is "I Won't Dance."

Out of that list, I almost went with "Fly Me To The Moon" or "That's Life."

One I really like is off the Sinatra and Swingin' Brass album -- "Love is Just Around the Corner." Great tune.

Sinatra-Basie is one of my favorite albums. Ten songs, all great.

"Me and my Shadow" with Sammy Davis, Jr. is awesome.

Personally, I think his best recording is "One For My Baby (And One More For the Road)," which is on the Only the Lonely album. This is raw Frank, alone at the bar, drowning his sorrows over a woman. It doesn't get much better than this if you're a fan of Frank.

Luck Be A Lady Tonight

First time I saw the Bellagio water show.... good times.
This was my vote as well.
Also mine. The story behind it is funny too. After Frank agreed to play Nathan Detroit in the film version because the producers were dead set on getting Brando as Sky Masterson, Frank went on to record the entire show 2 years later the way it should be. With him singing the Sky parts. His take on the song is definitive.I also like just about anything where Billy May was the arranger (Saturday Night, French Foreign Legion, Under My Skin) from the Capitol years.

Great thread, this guy could have his own brackets.

Even when he sang songs I didn't care for, I liked the way he sang them.

Voted My Way, but one of my all time favorite uses of a song in a tv show was the opening of season 2 of the Sopranos when they used It Was a Very Good Year.

Personally, I think his best recording is "One For My Baby (And One More For the Road)," which is on the Only the Lonely album. This is raw Frank, alone at the bar, drowning his sorrows over a woman. It doesn't get much better than this if you're a fan of Frank.
Couldn't agree more. Amazing how, looking down the list, each song just evoked Frank. Despite all the other recordings, I just automatically think "Sinatra." God knows every major singer has recorded almost every one of these songs at least once, and that for many people other version are 'definitive" (Fred Astaire, Liza, Tony Bennett, etc.), but Sinatra really does OWN the great American songbook.

Couldn't agree more. Amazing how, looking down the list, each song just evoked Frank. Despite all the other recordings, I just automatically think "Sinatra." God knows every major singer has recorded almost every one of these songs at least once, and that for many people other version are 'definitive" (Fred Astaire, Liza, Tony Bennett, etc.), but Sinatra really does OWN the great American songbook.
Somehow I missed that on the original list above -- probably would have voted for it.

I amazed by the love for Luck Be A Lady which has gotta be his worst song other than Love And Marriage. :thumbdown:

Not much love for Frank when he was singing with Tommy Dorsey back in the '40s and was wowing the bobby soxers at the Paramount. You'll have to ask your grandmothers about that. But "I'll Never Smile Again" was one of the signature songs of WWII and he had a bunch of other hits with Dorsey before he went out on his own.

As was mentioned by Scooby, he's had some great arrangers over the years. The classic Nelson Riddle songs also come to mind as well as the Billy May sets.

de facto standard here in the Big Apple: New York, New York
Talk about redundant lyrics...I've never heard a song called: Chicago, Illinois.

OF COURSE it's New York, New York.
I never thought of it that way. To me it seems like it's repeating the name of the city, rather than city & state. I wonder which is intended?

Users who are viewing this thread