What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Hot Sauce? (1 Viewer)

Texas Pete- They use a 3 Pepper blend, most other traditional hot sauces use just cayenne pepper. It's all about flavor for me.

Also if you take Texas Pete and say Crystal, Tabasco, or Louisiana and put a drop of each on a napkin you will see immediate separation in all except Texas Pete. So it blends well with the food as it is evenly distributed.

Cholua holds up well on the napkin test too........

Texas Pete- They use a 3 Pepper blend, most other traditional hot sauces use just cayenne pepper. It's all about flavor for me.

Also if you take Texas Pete and say Crystal, Tabasco, or Louisiana and put a drop of each on a napkin you will see immediate separation in all except Texas Pete. So it blends well with the food as it is evenly distributed.

:thumbup:

I've always liked Texas Pete. Haven't seen it in a while though.

have you tried the Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce?

I like Pete's, although it's not especially spicy if I recall correctly... but perhaps the reason it sticks together is the inclusion of Xantham Gum (it also has benzoate of soda as a preservative). Crystal, for example, is just dried aged peppers, vinegar, salt

Cholula is good but Valentina is better, and ridiculously cheap. Same goes for Tapatio.

Tabasco - I love this stuff, but rarely buy it because it's priced wrong.

Louisiana Hot Sauce - Very good and available in bulk at Sam's Club.

Texas Pete's - Sucks, and too salty. I'll revisit if somebody persuades me.

Frank's - Tasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh. I'm a little disappointed in this thread. I thought there would be at least a couple of condescending "all bottled sauce sucks" and "if you aren't making it yourself you're doing it wrong" posts by now.

Huh. I'm a little disappointed in this thread. I thought there would be at least a couple of condescending "all bottled sauce sucks" and "if you aren't making it yourself you're doing it wrong" posts by now.
Maybe hot sauce is the first thing the FFA can agree on :thumbup:

Maybe hot sauce is the first thing the FFA can agree on :thumbup:
I make my own hot sauces regularly. I enjoy them. But theyre nowhere near as good as de la viuda or abc

Love me some hot sauce. Crystal is my go to every day sauce. Love it on eggs. Also will sprinkle on turkey meatballs from Costco - quick tasty lunch. Always have Frank's too. For Mexican, I have Cholula, Tapatio and Pico Pica in the fridge. Cholula is my favorite though. I never have Tabasco in the house, but did try the green sauce at an Embassy Suites the other day on eggs and it was very good. Oh - and Sirachi for any quick stir fry is awesome. SShrimp or chicken, some veggies, brown rice and Sirachi - great meal.

I used to be all about the Sriracha, but now I love Sambal Oelek. Made by the same company but Sambal Oelek is a lot warmer.

ETA: In my cupboard I have Sriracha, Sambal Oelek, Tabasco Chipotle, Franks, Tapitio(sp)
Sambal Oelek is excellent, I have gone through several of their 136 oz jugs over the past few years. Makes Sriracha look like mild.Honorable mentions to Sriracha, Texas Pete (great flavor), and any habanero varieties.

There are other sauces with 1.4M scoville units
The Carolina Reaper was just named the hottest pepper on the planet.
Purgatory sounds a little aggressive for anything I'm going to eat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeKppE-4HC8
"I know when I take a #### tomorrow, it's going to be like giving birth to the sun."

I was way surprised when I say this video. I expected Tabasco to be terribly made. I was wrong.

This is amazing

http://www.wimp.com/tabascosauce/
Tabasco is good stuff.

Hot sauce lovers often seem to bash Tabasco, but I'm not sure why. I can only assume much of it is just the natural tendency to hate things that have become too big and too popular.

It's well made, has a unique flavor, and unlike a lot of "all-purpose" sauces (like Frank's and TP), Tabasco has an honest heat. When you want that vinegary bite of Tabasco, nothing else will do.

I think it's especially perfect for salad.

It's expensive, but worth it. I keep it in the rotation with Sriracha, Valentina, and Franks (just for wings).

I am absolutely addicted to this stuff - Tabasco Habanero Sauce. It's hot, but oh so good. Not for the faint of heart - are you man enough to try?
If you like Habanero, you need to try Melinda's--they were one of the first to bring habanero based hot sauces to the US. And while their sauces are made in Latin America, the company originally started in New Orleans but moved to Texas post-Katrina.

My wife is from New Orleans and we always have Crystal and Sriracha for everyday use.

tabasco is disgusting. if you mention that then your credibility is gone
So wrong. If I could only have one, it would be Tabasco Chipotle. Tabasco regular and green are also awesome. I wasnt a fan of the Tabasco buffalo sauce until I actually mixed it with butter. Best wing sauce ever (sorry Franks).

Siracha and the Hot Garlic paste by the same company are both awesome.

Texas Pete Garlic is also good (but hard to find).

Surpised at all the Crystal love. Never cared much for that one. Tastes like the generic store brand to me. If Im looking for that flavor, I stick to Franks.

Valentina is better than Cholula/Tapatio

Hot sauce should be paired to its application. Franks for wings, srirachia for asianed, crystal for jambalaya, Valentina's for mexicaned...
THIS.

And I agree 100% with all 4 pairings.

I generally keep in "stock" at the house:

Cholula

Tapatio

Valentino

Valentino Extra Hot

Franks Red Hot

Franks Chili LIme

Tabasco

Louisiana

Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin

Srirachi

Daves Insanity

Will keep random other sauces periodically but I usually have at least a quart or so of most of those above.

While not a hot sauce, the Cajun's Choice Blackened Seasoning is awesome stuff. Not as much salt as most others, though I often cut it with additional paprika, cayenne, garlic etc to lesson even that salt amount.

I am absolutely addicted to this stuff - Tabasco Habanero Sauce. It's hot, but oh so good. Not for the faint of heart - are you man enough to try?
If you like Habanero, you need to try Melinda's--they were one of the first to bring habanero based hot sauces to the US. And while their sauces are made in Latin America, the company originally started in New Orleans but moved to Texas post-Katrina.

My wife is from New Orleans and we always have Crystal and Sriracha for everyday use.
thanks, Todd!

I like sriracha, but not the watered down crap version with the rooster that everyone else raves about. This one. It's hotter, and tastes better. Try it. You'll be converted.

When I read this thread and think about each flavor of hot sauce, my forehead actually starts sweating. Im like a Pavlovian dog.

Went to Belize like two years ago for a wedding. Got this stuff called Marie Sharpe's. Best hot sauce I've ever had. I order it online now.

Best of the ones I can buy around here?? I'm a Crystal guy...

I was way surprised when I say this video. I expected Tabasco to be terribly made. I was wrong.

This is amazing

Tabasco is good stuff.

Hot sauce lovers often seem to bash Tabasco, but I'm not sure why. I can only assume much of it is just the natural tendency to hate things that have become too big and too popular.

It's well made, has a unique flavor, and unlike a lot of "all-purpose" sauces (like Frank's and TP), Tabasco has an honest heat. When you want that vinegary bite of Tabasco, nothing else will do.

It's expensive, but worth it. I keep it in the rotation with Sriracha, Valentina, and Franks (just for wings).
I'm a hot sauce fan but no snob by any means. Can't stand Tabasco. Something in the flavor (might be the vinegar) I just can't get past. I'll go without hot sauce before I use tabasco.

I like Frank's and Texas Pete's...Cholula probably tops though.

ETA: a local guy around here that ran a pool hall/lunch joint used to make homemade hot sauce that was better than anything around. I would give him jalepenos from my parents' garden (it took like 30/qt jar) and he would make it and give me half. A little thicker than most and had the best flavor. Took like a month to make it though...

This is amazing

Tabasco is good stuff.

I'm a hot sauce fan but no snob by any means. Can't stand Tabasco. Something in the flavor (might be the vinegar) I just can't get past. I'll go without hot sauce before I use tabasco.I like Frank's and Texas Pete's...Cholula probably tops though.
It's a unique sauce, that's for sure. I could see people not liking it.

I wouldn't want it to be the only sauce in the house, but sometimes I just love that vinegary bite. For rich, fatty foods, that vinegar sort of cuts through the fat. Sort of like vinegar BBQ sauce with pulled pork. It's why Tabasco pairs so beautifully with over-easy eggs.

It's the snobbery about it that I don't understand. People complain about the amount of vinegar, but it's still hotter than most grocery store hot sauces. The only store sauce that seems clearly hotter to me is Yucateco (both red and green).

So, you've got a pretty hot sauce, aged in oak, with flavor that other makers haven't been able to replicate. Not sure why hot sauce snobs would look down on it.

Never had Valentina, don't recall seeing it here on the shelves. But this thread and a few beers had me order about 40 bucks worth of various hot sauces last night.

I like a good meat hot sauce. Is that still kind of an upstate NY thing?
Pretty sure meat and hot sauce are universally liked. Maybe confusing prose is an upstate NY thing.
http://www.examiner.com/article/make-homemade-rochester-meat-hot-sauce-just-like-man-v-food-nation-episode

Seeing as how Mr. CIA had never heard of it, I'm going to guess it's still regional.
I never heard of it, and that sounds awesome.

This is my current go-to sauce:

Dr. Assburn's Fire Roasted Habanero Pepper Sauce

I usually run out of this first:

Lottie's Yellow Barbados Hot Pepper Sauce

You should be able to find this in your local grocery chain:

Matouk's West Indian Salsa Picante Hot Sauce
Those all look pretty good.

I have to try some of that hot sauce from Dr. Assburn. :lmao:

That Matouk's West Indian Salsa Picante sounds good too. I absolutely love scotch bonnet peppers.
The assburn tastes really good and is not super hot.

If you want super hot checkout Habanero TKO Punch It is much hotter than regular habanero sauces since it uses chili extract - anything more than a few drops and you will ruin your dish - totally uneatable (in my opinion at least). I still have half a bottle left from my purchase a few years ago, although admittedly I don't use it that often.

You really take your hot sauce seriously

Users who are viewing this thread