What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Hot Sauce? (1 Viewer)

One of my fav hot sauces (or types at least) is the very hot chili paste type hot sauce that you find at certain Middle East / Falafel places. Can be very spicy, a fiery, chili hot.
Harissa. Very simple to make.
Do tell.
My version as follows:

Find the hottest mix of chili powder/chili flakes you can find. I found some thai stuff that really burns. I can barely use it in normal dishes. :excited:

mix 1 to 1 with concentrated tomato paste,Add salt, pepper, ground cumin to taste (some add crushed garlic, ras al-hanout, other spices, I keep it simple)

Add a couple of tsp of water, mix (this unlocks the hotness).

Add vegetable oil, mix again until it has the right consistency. Then cover with oil so everything i submerged.

I generally store mine in the fridge so I usually use a decent rapeseed oil so it doesn't congeal like olive oil does, i've also mixed 50/50 but not enough taste difference to matter to me.

The reason I store in the fridge is I've had fungal growth in the jar after a couple of weeks, generally on the side of the jar as the oil level drops. This doesn't happen in the fridge.

Every time this thread get bumped, I think "Today's the day somebody says "I tried that sriracha you recommended, and you were right. It's awesome.""

That day never comes. :kicksrock:

Hmmmh, never heard of this not refrigerating hot sauce. I guess I just assumed it was like any other condiment where after opening you refrigerate it. Basically all other condiments you refrigerate after opening, right?
I don't recall ever seeing anyone refrigerate hot sauce, ever; salsas and pico de gallo, yes.
So how did you know hot sauce isnt supposed to be refrigerated? Only thing I can think of is because some restaurants have it on the table without asking. However, same can be said about ketchup, mustard, etc for restaurants which should be refrigerated after opening. I take it in those cases they go thru a bottle within a few days so they wouldnt spoil, but I still cant think of a reason why not refrigerating hot sauce is common knowledge.

ETA: salsa and pico are totally different as theyre fresh made from veggies and such.
Most mustards don't have to be refrigerated either.

Based on this thread I got some Cholula. Wow it's good. Great stuff. Gonna try some sriracha soon.

Every time this thread get bumped, I think "Today's the day somebody says "I tried that sriracha you recommended, and you were right. It's awesome.""

I tried that sriracha you recommended, and you were right. It's awesome.

I'll give Crystal a shout out........our go to hot sauce.
Still my day to day fav
:kicksrock:
Whatcha got against the Crystal ?
Never had it but here I gave you my secret harissa recipe and then you like crystal :(

;)
It's hardly mutually exclusive!

Did I mention I'm lazy? lol.

I usually have something like 8-10 different sauces at home at any one time anyway. Horses for courses.

the makers of the most well known brand of sriracha have another product that's very very good.

Sambal oelek: http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

While it's malaysian / indoensian in origin (I think), I'll use this in place of harissa on middle eastern type foods. It;s also just a good arrow to have in your hot sauce quiver.

the makers of the most well known brand of sriracha have another product that's very very good.

While it's malaysian / indoensian in origin (I think), I'll use this in place of harissa on middle eastern type foods. It;s also just a good arrow to have in your hot sauce quiver.
I believe we've covered this in the thread, but I'm hardly against multiple ringing endorsements for great hot sauce.

I love this stuff, more than siracha in fact. IIRC (meaning I'm thinking of the right product), it has more of a garlic twang along with the heat, correct?

I believe we've covered this in the thread, but I'm hardly against multiple ringing endorsements for great hot sauce.

I love this stuff, more than siracha in fact. IIRC (meaning I'm thinking of the right product), it has more of a garlic twang along with the heat, correct?
Ok, It's NOT garlic... but I know i've had this and liked it. Curious which I am thinking of. Need to check out what I have at home.

So I made a run to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield Ohio yesterday with a big list of sauces to try to find. A lot of them aided by reading through this thread. I picked up some Sriracha, 2 types of Marie Sharp's, Cholula,Dirty ****'s,Slap Ya Mama and Slap Your Mama.

Dumb mistake I made. I wanted just Slap Your Mama from recommendation someone here had made but apparently after I threw it on the cart I forgot I had it, checked my list and read it wrong and got the apparent cheap name knock off too. Kind of reminds me of that Eddie Murphy political movie where he won because of using a similar name of the guy who had been in there.

So far I've tried the milder Marie Sharp's, Sriracha and Slap Your Mama (it's actually not bad too). I will be putting hot sauce on stuff for a long time now.

If you like sambol then keep chili oil around as well. Its like the stuff you get at the restaurants. Smoky flavor due to the fried chilies. My favorite.

ETA: make sure to get the kind with plenty of the chili pieces in the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
For you officiando's I must rep the local guy. Puckerbutt's in Ft. Mill, SC home to the Reaper, the hottest pepper in the world according to Guinness. Having had some of this I can attest to the description below. Sweet flavor to start and then the heat begins and continues to increase. It's not like any sauce I've had before where it sneak up on you like that. It lights a fire in your belly that will last for a good hour or two depending on how much you ingest. Very god sauce but to be used in moderation.

Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® is a super hot pepper developed by Founder, President, Mad-Scientist & Chef Smokin' Ed Currie in his Rock Hill, South Carolina greenhouse. Measuring over 1.5 million on the Scoville Scale, Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® was awarded the Guinness World Record November 2013.

The flavor of Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® is sweet with heat building slowly at first, followed by a tidal wave of scorching fire that grips you from head to toe. Eyes glaze. Brows perspire. Arms flail.

PSA: Franks Slammin Siracha is terrible. If you are sending someone to the store for siracha, make sure to tell them to get either the Rooster or Texas Pete. This Franks stuff doesn't even deserve to be called siracha. :thumbdown:

For you officiando's I must rep the local guy. Puckerbutt's in Ft. Mill, SC home to the Reaper, the hottest pepper in the world according to Guinness. Having had some of this I can attest to the description below. Sweet flavor to start and then the heat begins and continues to increase. It's not like any sauce I've had before where it sneak up on you like that. It lights a fire in your belly that will last for a good hour or two depending on how much you ingest. Very god sauce but to be used in moderation.Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® is a super hot pepper developed by Founder, President, Mad-Scientist & Chef Smokin' Ed Currie in his Rock Hill, South Carolina greenhouse. Measuring over 1.5 million on the Scoville Scale, Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® was awarded the Guinness World Record November 2013.

The flavor of Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® is sweet with heat building slowly at first, followed by a tidal wave of scorching fire that grips you from head to toe. Eyes glaze. Brows perspire. Arms flail.
We took Reaper, Ghost, and Trinidad Scorpion peppers and made a salsa with a combo of all three of them. Ouch

I think I've found a new favorite "everyday" hot sauce.....Louisiana Gold.

Not to be confused with basic "Louisiana" brand hot sauce, which is, imo, the absolute worst of the everyday hot sauces. Absolutely worthless, that stuff. But the Gold, however, is a real treat.

It's like a near perfect blend of Tabasco, a little heat and one of run of the mill Louisiana-style sauces that are never quite hot enough (Pete, Crystal). Excellent stuff.

I've also really come to appreciate Crystal as the absolute best of the basic Louisiana-style sauces. It's a a fine line, but it's got just a tad more oomph than Pete, Franks, and of course, that terrible Louisiana brand.

I've also really come to appreciate Crystal as the absolute best of the basic Louisiana-style sauces. It's a a fine line, but it's got just a tad more oomph than Pete, Franks, and of course, that terrible Louisiana brand.
We use Crystal more as a flavor enhancer than for the heat. It's not really hot enough to make a difference, but I love the flavor it imparts in many foods.

For you officiando's I must rep the local guy. Puckerbutt's in Ft. Mill, SC home to the Reaper, the hottest pepper in the world according to Guinness. Having had some of this I can attest to the description below. Sweet flavor to start and then the heat begins and continues to increase. It's not like any sauce I've had before where it sneak up on you like that. It lights a fire in your belly that will last for a good hour or two depending on how much you ingest. Very god sauce but to be used in moderation.Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® is a super hot pepper developed by Founder, President, Mad-Scientist & Chef Smokin' Ed Currie in his Rock Hill, South Carolina greenhouse. Measuring over 1.5 million on the Scoville Scale, Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® was awarded the Guinness World Record November 2013.

We took Reaper, Ghost, and Trinidad Scorpion peppers and made a salsa with a combo of all three of them. Ouch
Deathwish :shock: :hot: :tebow:

One of my fav hot sauces (or types at least) is the very hot chili paste type hot sauce that you find at certain Middle East / Falafel places. Can be very spicy, a fiery, chili hot.
Harissa. Very simple to make.
Do tell.
My version as follows:

Find the hottest mix of chili powder/chili flakes you can find. I found some thai stuff that really burns. I can barely use it in normal dishes. :excited:

mix 1 to 1 with concentrated tomato paste,Add salt, pepper, ground cumin to taste (some add crushed garlic, ras al-hanout, other spices, I keep it simple)

Add a couple of tsp of water, mix (this unlocks the hotness).

Add vegetable oil, mix again until it has the right consistency. Then cover with oil so everything i submerged.

I generally store mine in the fridge so I usually use a decent rapeseed oil so it doesn't congeal like olive oil does, i've also mixed 50/50 but not enough taste difference to matter to me.

The reason I store in the fridge is I've had fungal growth in the jar after a couple of weeks, generally on the side of the jar as the oil level drops. This doesn't happen in the fridge.
I thought roasted red pepper was the main ingredient, not tomato paste.

Looks like I'll have to make your version and report back. :)

I tried that sriracha you recommended, and you were right. It's awesome.
Yup, it's a staple in our house. Love it.

I still think people are missing the boat on this one....
you are absolutely 100% spot on, that #### is delicious.

If you like the taste of Taco Bell hot sauce, this is in a can, they've been making this stuff for 100 years: http://www.mexproducts.com/Picture/19059

stuff is awesome, and cheap.

Given my new location I have had to go outside my comfort zone for hot sauces.

My new go-to sauces are essentially blended chilies with a little water and salt

This one is for every day use

http://nativo.ecrater.com/p/15279173/aji-panca-paste-dark-red

and the rocoto one is for when i need a little extra kick.

Excellent as a dip for hot wings by the way

And ditka85 - I'll try the version with roasted peppers soon, the concentrated tomato paste is not that great here in Lima

A good buddy of mine is in the process of launching a Jalapeno sauce. It is not really a hot sauce though you can use it like one, or a salsa or a condiment, etc. It really is very flexible in what you can use it with. Mexican food obviously rocks but I have had it on sandwhiches, dipping chips, eggs for breakfast and just right on some chicken breasts. It is pretty awesome. I went through two jars of it that he gave me in under two weeks. Once it is actually available that will easily be my go to sauce. Until he gets that selling....

I have a bunch of different hot sauces that I use. Cholula. Tapatio. Tabasco. Sriracha. El Yucatero. Valentina. and a few others that I can't think of the names.

I found this one a couple of months back and have enjoyed it. Has a different and distinct flavor from most stuff I have tried:

http://www.amazon.com/BLiS-Blast-Pepper-Sauce-Pack/dp/B00KGQ6JVW

Do you carry it with you like HRC?
:lmao:  She is something. And it is hilarious what she thinks will endear herself to certain groups of people. Our choices this year makes my stomach turn.

If I were to carry something it would be better than tabasco. I think I only get it because it was like the first 'hot sauce' I ever used on an ongoing basis. More than likely a force of habit now to use it with my eggs. If I am out getting breakfast- they usually have that or the Louisana brand to use. Once my buddy gets his stuff selling, I will prob use that for my breakfast eggs at home.

After doing some reading through here, checked out Crystal just now, why is it so expensive? 

$27 for a bottle of hot sauce, now I'm intrigued.

ETA:

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Hot-Sauce-Louisianas-Pure/dp/B00CQY7A7E

Amazon has 3 for $13

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crystal-Hot-Sauce/10535235

Walmart has 1 for $27, wtf?
I think there are a number of sellers on Amazon who will put stuff up on Amazon and inflate the prices for the people who think "Amazon sells it cheaper than what I can get in the store" and just sign on and search for it and buy it.

I think there are a number of sellers on Amazon who will put stuff up on Amazon and inflate the prices for the people who think "Amazon sells it cheaper than what I can get in the store" and just sign on and search for it and buy it.
for sure, especially food items.

It's Walmart with the crazy price tag here though.

for sure, especially food items.
I don't really buy food items on Amazon though I did give the pantry a try (was not impressed). I did look for some popcorn and the prices on some were just crazy. I mean, like triple the price of what I get at the local store. And not some hard to find exotic stuff but the freaking national brand stuff. :shock:

I pretty much always price check though. A lot of times even on stuff they are giving a small discount on- the 'retail' price is jacked up so the Amazon discount looks even bigger. I have to wonder how many people fall for this kind of stuff.

If anything, Crystal should be at the low end of the price spectrum for Hot Sauce.  But the high end for taste.

After doing some reading through here, checked out Crystal just now, why is it so expensive? 

$27 for a bottle of hot sauce, now I'm intrigued.

ETA:

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Hot-Sauce-Louisianas-Pure/dp/B00CQY7A7E

Amazon has 3 for $13

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crystal-Hot-Sauce/10535235

Walmart has 1 for $27, wtf?
It's about 2 bucks at the local Food Lion. I haven't found many things that don't make sense to buy on amazon, but hot sauce is at the top of the list. The prices are insane. Just dropped $90 on an order of Louisiana Gold over at Cajun Grocer, and it would've been far more expensive on amazon.

Love Crystal. It's become our house sauce of sorts at the restaurant. Not really, as Texas Pete always will be (we keep it in big 16 oz squeeze bottles), but I've converted a lot over to Crystal. Crystal's my clear favorite of the "nearly zero heat" class of hot sauces (Pete, Crystal, regular Louisiana, Frank's).

Also, I think you just have the wrong link for Wal-Mart. It's really $27 for the 12-pack of the big 12 oz bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how anyone likes tabasco, just straight bitter.
While it's not my favorite hot sauce, I have a ton of respect for the product Tabasco puts out (and do really like it too). 

The taste is very unique.  Every other major brand of hot sauce has been copied with moderate success. TP/Crystal/Louisiana are all pretty similar. Replace one with the other and you don't lose much. Sriracha has plenty of decent imitations. And that's really true of damn near any food/drink category. The industry leader gets copied with decent success.

But not Tabasco. Nothing tastes like Tabasco. Incredible feat for an industry leader. 

Also, people point the vinegar being the first ingredient like it's a bad thing. It's all the more impressive that vinegar is the first ingredient, yet it's so much hotter than all the other "Louisiana style" hot sauces that list chiles as the top ingredient. Must be something with the aging, but I have no idea how they pull that off. The rest of the industry hasn't either. 

When I want that sharp vinegar bite with good heat, it's gotta be Tabasco (usually, I get that craving the most with eggs). Louisiana Gold is the closest I've seen, but it's a different animal (like it more overall than Tabasco).

Users who are viewing this thread