What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best NFL prospect (1 Viewer)

So who you like?

• Leinart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Petterson

• Bush

• Other (please name)

• Total voters

jurb26

Footballguy
Who is the best NFL prospect of this group. Granted, Peterson can not leave this year and Bush just might not elect to. It seems rather clear that these are the 3 most talked about players on the board, Peterson especially. Who do you think makes the best NFL prospect though?Leinart, hands down best QB in the country, 2 time All-American, 2 time Nat Champ, Heisman winner and possibly only the 2nd player to ever win 2 of them if he can pull off the feet again this year. Also interesting to note that he would have been the easy selection as the #1 overall player last year had he entered the NFL draft.Peterson, true Freshman that really turned heads at Oklahoma vs some top notch competition in the Big 12. Regarded as the best high school RB prospect in years, maybe ever.Bush, regarded by nearly everyone as the most dangerous player in all of college football with all the same team accomplishments as that of Matt.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are re-building a team and have the first pick, I think you have to go with Leinart. As for Peterson, Mel Kiper said on the Herd that Peterson would have been the #1 pick this past draft if he was eligible. They are all special talents, I'm sure all teams would be happy to have any of them.From a pure weapon standpoint I think it has to be Bush. I mean anytime he touches the ball I think he will score a TD.

Wow, dead even voting right now (2 for each). Nobody else wants to defend their selection?Personally, I think it has to be Leinart right now. His resume is simply too freaking good! There don't seem to be many can't miss QB prospects, but this guy just has the look of one.I agree GPN, Bush looks like the most well rounded and dangerous overall weapon and Peterson is probably the better true NFL RB prospect. Should be interesting to watch.

I voted other and here's my guy:

Lawrence Maroney. I have been hyping this guy like a mother since his freshman year. He is, in a word, electric. While Bush and Peterson get all the publicity from playing on the best teams in the nation, Maroney has done more with less than either of these two guys. Splitting time with Marion Barber III (now with the Cowboys) Maroney has managed to rack up 2,500 yards and 22 touchdowns. Oh, and he's a junior. He has thirteen 100-yard games (including 7 in a row) and is averaging 6.5 YPC for his career.

When this guy gets out into the open field, he is simply dangerous. Amazing vision and a smooth, gliding style that remind me of footage from Gayle Sayers.

Unsure if he comes out or not this year, but IMO, I think this guy has THE most pro potential of any player in the country right now.

I think any RB is a better bet than any QB, so I went with Peterson. I think Leinart looks better than most of the recent prospects (including Palmer), but I've seen another great-looking college QBs fail that my money goes on the workhorse back.

I know it's blasphemy, but it's possible that Leinhart is the 2nd best QB in the 2006 draft.

Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green. The latest in the line of MAC QBs, and maybe, just maybe, the best.

I voted other and here's my guy:

Lawrence Maroney. I have been hyping this guy like a mother since his freshman year. He is, in a word, electric. While Bush and Peterson get all the publicity from playing on the best teams in the nation, Maroney has done more with less than either of these two guys. Splitting time with Marion Barber III (now with the Cowboys) Maroney has managed to rack up 2,500 yards and 22 touchdowns. Oh, and he's a junior. He has thirteen 100-yard games (including 7 in a row) and is averaging 6.5 YPC for his career.

When this guy gets out into the open field, he is simply dangerous. Amazing vision and a smooth, gliding style that remind me of footage from Gayle Sayers.

Unsure if he comes out or not this year, but IMO, I think this guy has THE most pro potential of any player in the country right now.
Good call, I was very close to placing him on the list but just did not think he would accumulate enough votes to warrent it. I like him as well. I must admit I have not seen him enough to make a good enough judgment and to place him in the same class as the others listed. He is on the top of my list of players to make sure I watch this season though. :thumbup:

Looking ahead at college to NFL can be interesting sometimes. One of the players I thought was going to make some noise and be highly sought after, after his junior year fell flat on his face as a senior. Of course, he now is becoming a major part of the San Diego offense, despite playing behind the best RB in the game, and he might just be one of the biggest impacts for his team of any rookie this year afterall.Funny thing this game is.

Peterson, no question. Not to take anything away from Leinart, who I think will become a franchise QB, but Peterson is as good as any RB I've seen in a long time and his adjustment to the NFL should be easy.

Peterson, no question. Not to take anything away from Leinart, who I think will become a franchise QB, but Peterson is as good as any RB I've seen in a long time and his adjustment to the NFL should be easy.
Personally I am shocked that so many people feel this way. Peterson does seem to be a great talent, but has really not been all that tested just yet. I think the USC game could have been a real good shot for him, but we didn't see much. Not really his fault as USC took that game over by the end of the 1st quarter, but still.... Personally, I think Matt has simply been one of if not THE best college football players ever and his skill set seems very transferable to the NFL. I think he is in line with that of Manning coming out, maybe better.Bush is just electric! Every time that guy touches the ball (Ted Ginn also comes to mind and I also almost mentioned him as well) you can't help but think something great is about to happen. Peterson may have a more natural RB build, but Bush is a better player IMO. Or maybe it's just that Bush has proven more as Peterson has only played one year thus far. I think this is a very critical year for Peterson. The OU Oline was more dominant than any I have seen in recent years (Mia and OSU had some that came close) and several are gone from that unit. The O really will have to focus around him this year where as before you had that great passing game as well. I had figured that Peterson would lead this poll (on this site anyway), but I haev doubts that it is deserving at this moment in time.

IMO Leinhart will be a bust in the pros. Peterson by far is the best pro prospect of the 3.

I know it's blasphemy, but it's possible that Leinhart is the 2nd best QB in the 2006 draft.
I completely agree, but only if Florida's Chris Leak declares.Seriously, he's looked as good as Leinhart against tougher competition (LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami), despite less experience, less surrounding talent, and horrible coaching. Nobody's looked this good against the tough tough tough SEC since the brothers Manning left town.

I completely agree, but only if Florida's Chris Leak declares.Seriously, he's looked as good as Leinhart against tougher competition (LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami), despite less experience, less surrounding talent, and horrible coaching. Nobody's looked this good against the tough tough tough SEC since the brothers Manning left town.
Let's not exaggerate, nobody has looked as good as Leinert over the past 2 years, nobody. Blame it on the talent around him if you want, but he has been the best QB in college football for at least 2 years now. It raelly has not even been close either.

I'd take Leak over Leinhart as well. I'll go with Bush of the 3 listed, who should be somewhere between Brian Westbrook at LT2 as a pro.

Let's not exaggerate, nobody has looked as good as Leinert over the past 2 years, nobody. Blame it on the talent around him if you want, but he has been the best QB in college football for at least 2 years now. It raelly has not even been close either.
Look at their numbers. Look at the average quality of their competition. Look at the quality of their O-line, their RBs, and their WRs. Look at the quality of their coaches. Look at how much experience each has had. Then get back to me.Don't go pointing to Leinhart's dominance against Oklahoma last season, either, because Oklahoma is currently getting dominated by TCU, too.

Look at their numbers. Look at the average quality of their competition. Look at the quality of their O-line, their RBs, and their WRs. Look at the quality of their coaches. Look at how much experience each has had. Then get back to me.Don't go pointing to Leinhart's dominance against Oklahoma last season, either, because Oklahoma is currently getting dominated by TCU, too.
It was a formality that Bush was named SC's starter this week but next year Lendale White will have more of an impact in the pro's than his college teammate.Tom

Can't compare last season's OU to this season's OU. 10 Sooners got drafted in April ... the most of any college. USC embarrassed OU. I say Leinert.

Bush, 2 touches, 115 yds, 2 TDs :eek:

Bush>>>>>>Peterson...as a college RB
Edited.
:lmao: No, as a football player.
As talented as Bush is, I don't see how any team would prefer him over Peterson - who has franchise back written all over him. Bush has some big questions to answer about his ability to carry the ball 20 times a game in the NFL and his blocking.

Edited.
As talented as Bush is, I don't see how any team would prefer him over Peterson - who has franchise back written all over him. Bush has some big questions to answer about his ability to carry the ball 20 times a game in the NFL and his blocking.
I guess you didn't see the pancake he laid on the only USC return tonight huh? Oh, and Bush added 5 lbs this year vs last for all you guys who are so stuck on the weight thing. :rolleyes:

Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green. The latest in the line of MAC QBs, and maybe, just maybe, the best.
:goodposting: Jacobs is quietly moving up the list of NFL QB prospects and has already passed Leinhart in many peoples' minds. He's 6'5", can make every throw, and is a great mobile athletic QB.

How does Vince Young from Texas fit into this. I really don't watch much college football, but does he look like the 2nd QB to get drafted after Leinhart? I assume he's a lock for the first round. Are there any other opinions.As for the voting, I picked Leinhart. With the trade value for guys like SA and Edge I don't think a top team would draft Bush or Peterson over a Franchise QB like Leinhart. He would have been number one last year, he's miles ahead of Alex Smith and Rogers. Bush and Peterson should be good NFL prospects but Leinhart is a future pro bowl QB. Leinhart will be the number 1 pick without a doubt even if a team has to pull an Eli Manning trade to get him.

What about Reggie McNeal. I may be a bit of a homer, but he's the best dual threat QB out there when it comes to passing AND running.Leinart is a better passer.Young is a better runner.McNeal runs better than Leinart and passes better than Young. In fact, I think Jacobs is closer to him than any of them.But then again, maybe I've had a few too many :banned:

Edited.
I guess you didn't see the pancake he laid on the only USC return tonight huh? Oh, and Bush added 5 lbs this year vs last for all you guys who are so stuck on the weight thing. :rolleyes:
C'mon, it was Arkansas. Just look at the team he's on compared to Peterson - of course he should be dominating. I just don't think he'll the ideal back for the NFL, though a team could do well using him like Westbrook - or Marshall Faulk if you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any QB in the nation you'd rather have QBing your team on third and long than Chris Leak right now? That guy has solid steel cajones.

As of this moment it's probably Peterson, but not for the reasons above.QB is a big transition to make from college to pro and many flame out that should have been great, but many excel. It's too hard to call which Leinart will be. He has all the tools to do well, but he not pan out as well.I think they change Bush's position in the pros. I see him more as a WR type than a RB at that level. I don't think he's an every down back in the NFL with the pounding they take. He doesn't play every down at USC at the moment either. He'd be a great receiver in time, but again the position change.Depending on which system he goes into Peterson's biggest challenge will be picking up pro blitzes and protecting his QB.

other: DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
So you are telling me...you have the first pick in the NFL 2006 draft. Leinart, AD, Maroney, and Bush ready to roll. "With the first pick in the 2006 draft the Babu Bhatt's select DeAngelo Williams"? You would first hear laughter and then be ran out of town.

It is an original choice, but you are full of it.

Leinart is who you start your franchise with. AD a close second imo.

So you are telling me...you have the first pick in the NFL 2006 draft. Leinart, AD, Maroney, and Bush ready to roll. "With the first pick in the 2006 draft the Babu Bhatt's select DeAngelo Williams"? You would first hear laughter and then be ran out of town. It is an original choice, but you are full of it.

I think he is very, very good. Of course who I selected would depend on my team needs. But DeAngelo Williams is better than Peterson or Bush.

So you are telling me...you have the first pick in the NFL 2006 draft. Leinart, AD, Maroney, and Bush ready to roll. "With the first pick in the 2006 draft the Babu Bhatt's select DeAngelo Williams"? You would first hear laughter and then be ran out of town. It is an original choice, but you are full of it.

I think he is very, very good. Of course who I selected would depend on my team needs. But DeAngelo Williams is better than Peterson or Bush.
What color is the sky in your world?

In his defense, Williams hasn't been limited to 3 yards per carry against TCU, now has he?

While I agree that Peterson and Bush should be drafted higher, and will probably have better careers, the same was said about KiJana Carter, Lawrence Phillips, and a slew of other "can't miss" RBs. D-Will might just be the better player. His opinion certainly deserves something better than this reply.Now if someone said Tyler Jones is the best NFL prospect, that would be different.

"In his defense, Williams hasn't been limited to 3 yards per carry against TCU, now has he?" SSOG- Is that your best jab? OU lost the majority of their starters on both sides of the ball to the NFL. Any defense that stacks 8 in the box because they have zero respect against the freshman QB they are facing can stop a running game. Bomar's deer in the headlights look does not strike fear into any secondary.On the flip side it is easy to keep your rushing average above 3 when playing those sieve-like CUSA defenses. Nice try, thanks for playing.

How does Vince Young from Texas fit into this. I really don't watch much college football, but does he look like the 2nd QB to get drafted after Leinhart? I assume he's a lock for the first round. Are there any other opinions.
IMHO, Omar Jacobs and Vincent Young figure to be primary competition for Leinart as the #1 QB prospect in the 2006 draft. Leinart probably has the most polish in terms of being an NFL quarterback, but Young certainly has a higher ceiling athletically and who knows what might happen when these guys hit the workout circuit and go into the combine. I don't see Jacobs overtaking Leinart, but he might be a better value on draft day if he falls later in the first round (great talent and potential, smaller signing bonus and financial outlay). That said, I have a feeling that come March/April, Jacobs could be in the mix near the top of the draft. Reggie McNeal and Vincent Young are more intriguing though if you like the DAZZLE factor. Then in 2007 Chad Henne might emerge as one of the top prospects if not the top guy.

Bush had 2 td's yesterday the 1st 2 times he touched the ball. I rushing for 70 yds and the other a 730 yd catch :hey: :thumbup:
Yep, Bush looks good alright, can't help but wonder how much is attributable to the team though. I mean, when everyone on the team must be accounted for, and you have the best QB in the nation, you are in a much better position to make big plays. I think he'll be a very good NFL player, but could be overhyped if he lands on a team less able to give him space.

Bush had 2 td's yesterday the 1st 2 times he touched the ball. I rushing for 70 yds and the other a 730 yd catch :hey: :thumbup:
Yep, Bush looks good alright, can't help but wonder how much is attributable to the team though. I mean, when everyone on the team must be accounted for, and you have the best QB in the nation, you are in a much better position to make big plays. I think he'll be a very good NFL player, but could be overhyped if he lands on a team less able to give him space.
and that will affecthis position... i don't see an nfl team that doesn't have a "bush friendly" system already in place taking him.. but the team that does, will/should be happily rewarded....

and that will affecthis position... i don't see an nfl team that doesn't have a "bush friendly" system already in place taking him.. but the team that does, will/should be happily rewarded....
So, a Red State? ;) What teams employ a Bush friendly system? Philly if Westbrook leaves?

More teams may employ such a system if Philly can be succesful this year. Perhaps even Cleveland or the Jets?

i was thinking philly, maybe even the texans as they nees SOMETHING.. to loosen things up....another, possibly JAX....even tho the coah might not be that fancy,... CAR even.. these are teams that IMO, loose nothing by "widening" the field witha a playe like bush

On the flip side it is easy to keep your rushing average above 3 when playing those sieve-like CUSA defenses.

Nice try, thanks for playing.
I don't think I'd put DeAngelo Williams #1, but his stats are not just a result of running up on mediocre teams. Williams did run for 200 yards on Louisville last year.And Ladanian Tomlinson played in C-USA so unwise to be prejudiced against a player just because he played in C-USA without ever actually see him play or know anything about him.

"In his defense, Williams hasn't been limited to 3 yards per carry against TCU, now has he?"

SSOG- Is that your best jab? OU lost the majority of their starters on both sides of the ball to the NFL. Any defense that stacks 8 in the box because they have zero respect against the freshman QB they are facing can stop a running game. Bomar's deer in the headlights look does not strike fear into any secondary.

On the flip side it is easy to keep your rushing average above 3 when playing those sieve-like CUSA defenses.

Oh, right, because MWC defenses are so much mightier than those CUSA sieves.Face it, anytime a heisman trophy candidate runs for 3 yards per carry against a non-BCS conference school (especially one who isn't even a BCS buster like Boise State, Utah, or Louisville). TCU had an easier time stopping Oklahoma than they did stopping SMU. That is an EMBARASSMENT. Now, he still has a chance to redeem himself with a strong performance for the rest of the season, but you can't just explain away 3 yards-per-carry in GAME ONE against a MWC team. Especially when you consider he had ONE yard per carry at halftime. ONE LOUSY YARD PER CARRY.

So yes, that is my best jab. I wouldn't think any more would be needed. It would be like if Leinart went 11/30 for 79 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 INTs against Hawaii.

"In his defense, Williams hasn't been limited to 3 yards per carry against TCU, now has he?"

SSOG- Is that your best jab? OU lost the majority of their starters on both sides of the ball to the NFL. Any defense that stacks 8 in the box because they have zero respect against the freshman QB they are facing can stop a running game. Bomar's deer in the headlights look does not strike fear into any secondary.

Oh, right, because MWC defenses are so much mightier than those CUSA sieves.Face it, anytime a heisman trophy candidate runs for 3 yards per carry against a non-BCS conference school (especially one who isn't even a BCS buster like Boise State, Utah, or Louisville). TCU had an easier time stopping Oklahoma than they did stopping SMU. That is an EMBARASSMENT. Now, he still has a chance to redeem himself with a strong performance for the rest of the season, but you can't just explain away 3 yards-per-carry in GAME ONE against a MWC team. Especially when you consider he had ONE yard per carry at halftime. ONE LOUSY YARD PER CARRY.

So yes, that is my best jab. I wouldn't think any more would be needed. It would be like if Leinart went 11/30 for 79 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 INTs against Hawaii.

Users who are viewing this thread