What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best rock bass player (1 Viewer)

Best rock bass player

• Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Jack Bruce (Cream)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • John Entwistle (The Who)

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Chris Squire (Yes)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Geddy Lee (Rush)

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, LTE, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Billy Sheehan (DLR, Mr. Big, Steve Vai)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Les Claypool (Primus)

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

• Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones)

• Total voters
I voted for Geddy. Although, I saw Victor Wooten play with Billy Cobham, and Wooten destroys every bass player I've ever seen. But I can't vote for Wooten since Bela Fleck's music sucks donkey gonads.

One of my favorites not listed is Tommy Shannon with Double Trouble of SRV and Double Trouble as well as several tours and shows were the rhythm section backed other artist's such as Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Buddy Guy.

I'd vote for Dave LaRue. He's touring with Joe Satriani right now. He's played with Steve Morse in Dixie Dregs and The Steve Morse Band.

Gotta think about this for a while. Tough call for me between Lee, Levin and Squire.
Had the same 3 in mind, Ghost, but went with Levin. :thumbup: for including Liquid Tension Experiment in his credits. So hard to rank some of these musicians - I always had great respect for Entwistle as well.ETA: Recently bought PG's "Growing UP" DVD...some nice shots of Levin playing stick bass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta think about this for a while.  Tough call for me between Lee, Levin and Squire.
Had the same 3 in mind, Ghost, but went with Levin. :thumbup: for including Liquid Tension Experiment in his credits. So hard to rank some of these musicians - I always had great respect for Entwistle as well.ETA: Recently bought PG's "Growing UP" DVD...some nice shots of Levin playing stick bass.
I have the Secret World Live DVD. Awesome. I've seen PG live, also. Levin is the bomb.

Best female bass player - Tina Weymouth of the Talking Heads
Actually the correct answer is Candace Belanoff of Walt Mink, except very few people even know who Walt Mink were
Yes, there is one named Sara Lee who's good too, but she's not well known either.

tony levin is a madman... he isn't an old school choice, but his work on the stick with king crimson was freakin amazing... he put out enough sound for a symphony orchestrall by himself... he is like the david gilmour of bassists... always the RIGHT note... equally adept on monster humping rock instrumentals (larks tongues in aspic & red) & graceful ballads (sheltering sky & work with peter gabriel)...

jack bruce is suppose to be a technical genius, but musically i just like levin better...

if we expanded to fusion & jazz, marcus miller would be hard to top...

bootsy is definitely in my top 3 pantheon of bass players... cut his teeth with james brown, did some stellar work with p-funk & solo, and had a nice career revival with bill laswell, & was involved in one of my favorite sessions of past decade or so... hallucination engine with laswell, bernie worrell, wayne shorter & who's who of african & indian percussionists...

we should include jaco, too, (as a jazz bassist) for his ahead of its time fretless bass work with weather report.

stanley clarke would be in my top 5 any genre...

tony levin is a madman... he isn't an old school choice, but his work on the stick with king crimson was freakin amazing... he put out enough sound for a symphony orchestrall by himself... he is like the david gilmour of bassists... always the RIGHT note... equally adept on monster humping rock instrumentals (larks tongues in aspic & red) & graceful ballads (sheltering sky & work with peter gabriel)...

jack bruce is suppose to be a technical genius, but musically i just like levin better...

if we expanded to fusion & jazz, marcus miller would be hard to top...

bootsy is definitely in my top 3 pantheon of bass players... cut his teeth with james brown, did some stellar work with p-funk & solo, and had a nice career revival with bill laswell, & was involved in one of my favorite sessions of past decade or so... hallucination engine with laswell, bernie worrell, wayne shorter & who's who of african & indian percussionists...

we should include jaco, too, (as a jazz bassist) for his ahead of its time fretless bass work with weather report.

stanley clarke would be in my top 5 any genre...
More great Jazz/Fusion players:Daryl Jackson, Benny Brunel, John Patitucci.

I'd vote for Dave LaRue. He's touring with Joe Satriani right now. He's played with Steve Morse in Dixie Dregs and The Steve Morse Band.
I agree....saw him last week and was fantastic. That being said, though, I still voted Levin.

Rudy Sarzo :bag:
ROTFLMAO! A helluva stage performer, but didn't exactly lay down too many bass riffs in the studio. Didn't play bass on either of Ozzy's first two albums, or Whitesnake's self titled album.I guess with Quiet Riot and Whitesnake's Slip of the Tongue he did though.

I met Sarzo at Roselle Music in Roselle, IL about 15 years ago. He was about 5' 90lbs - real personable guy though. He was talking about how music wouldn't be bought in stores, and somehow it would be bought from satellites or something. (I was thinkin: Smoke another joint dude - but in hindsight he was dead nuts on - ITunes)

No list could be complete without the inclusion of Terry 'Geezer' Butler or that odd little man from Metallica Jason Newsted.

Stu Hamm also.

whew, tough one.

at any given moment...John Entwistle, Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Flea, Phil Lesh, Mike Gordon, Allen Woody, Dave Schools.

thank God there is room for all of them!

Users who are viewing this thread