What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Better career, Michael Keaton or Bill Murray (NOW WITH POLE) (1 Viewer)

Keaton or Murray

• Keaton

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • Murrray

Votes: 95 84.8%

• Total voters
If it was just based on Movie Comedy Actors, I would rank Murray as #1 with Martin at #2 with Murphy and Williams next.  Throw in Chaplin, Marx, Carey, and Hope in the next tier with Akroyd and Lewis for honorable mention.  

Now if we include TV and stand up it is a completely different list headed by Williams.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, Murray has obviously had the better career.  Keaton might be a better actor, since Murray is largely a one-trick pony, but credit Murray for being as iconic as he is while often playing the same type of character. 
I agree with this.

If it was just based on Movie Comedy Actors, I would rank Murray as #1 with Martin at #2 with Murphy and Williams next.  Throw in Chaplin, Marx, Carey, and Hope in the next tier with Akroyd and Lewis for honorable mention.  

Now if we include TV and stand up it is a completely different list headed by Williams.  
I agree with most of this except I would bump Chaplin to first tier and say if we include stand-up and TV, it's Eddie Murphy in the #1 spot. 

I like Murray better.....but I think Keaton is a far better actor...plus he was the Good Batman.... Mr. Mom...Johnny Dangerously not listed in OP

50 years from now Keaton will be forgotten.  Murray won't.  

I can't name a memorable movie of Keaton's in a zillion years.  

I would argue that Murray's Wes Anderson character is a single performance and will stand the test of time.  I've heard it argued that way.  It's a thread that ties all those movies together.

Lost in Translation wasn't my favorite, and I can't really name a movie since then he's been the lead that surpassed it imo.  So that's not great.

50 years from now Keaton will be forgotten.  Murray won't.  

I can't name a memorable movie of Keaton's in a zillion years.  

I would argue that Murray's Wes Anderson character is a single performance and will stand the test of time.  I've heard it argued that way.  It's a thread that ties all those movies together.

Lost in Translation wasn't my favorite, and I can't really name a movie since then he's been the lead that surpassed it imo.  So that's not great.
Beetlejuice will never be forgotten.

Between these two, I agree with the Murray better comic, Keaton bit better actor stance.

I would second John Cleese, Monty Python movies (and TV, too) are among the best ever.

I would also add Mel Brooks.

Beetlejuice will never be forgotten.
But I mean for Keaton his screen time was more like a Murray -Wes Anderson type situation in that movie.  He maybe had what? 10 minutes of screen time?  

That movie to me is more about Tim Burton.

Yeah but the thing with Mike Myers and Adam Sandler is that there movies don't hold up at all. It's like Mike Myers performed mass hypnosis to convince everyone that he was funny.
Wedding Singer still rules. The rest of the Sandler comedies I agree either don't hold up or always sucked. For serious stuff Punch Drunk Love and Funny People are great. Ok, punch is awesome and Funny is good.

Myers always sucked. Never got his appeal.

Disagree...he was a notorious joke stealer.

I'll say Murray.  However it's rather close.  Keaton has had a great career as well.  Both have a ton of quotable lines.  Both are true movie stars.  

Wedding Singer still rules. The rest of the Sandler comedies I agree either don't hold up or always sucked. For serious stuff Punch Drunk Love and Funny People are great. Ok, punch is awesome and Funny is good.

Myers always sucked. Never got his appeal.
Wedding Singer is good. I didn't care for Punch Drunk but maybe I should give it another chance. I think I just expected something more Billy Madison and was confused by it. I thought Sandler was the funniest guy in the world and Ausitn Powers killed me, but I was like 14 years old. As an adult, I don't get them at all. 

Wow, throw me in with the minority here.  Murray has the better comedic chops, but Keaton is a better actor plus he can bring a darker undertone that Murray can't.

I claimed that Keaton is underrated and still do, but he isn't in the same tier as Murray over their entire careers.  Keaton has tremendous range, but Murray's "iconic role" thread shows how amazing he is as a comedian.  Absolutely the best comedic actor ever, IMO.

It's like comparing Magic Johnson to Penny Hardaway.  Penny was a good player, but c'mon...it's Magic freaking Johnson.

Keaton has been killing it the past few years.  Birdman, The Founder, and Spotlight are all great films.

Hastur said:
Keaton has been killing it the past few years.  Birdman, The Founder, and Spotlight are all great films.
Hated Birdman, but agree with Spotlight.

Haven't seen The Founder.

Well if money matters it's Murray by a landslide.  Keaton could make $50M a film for the next 10 films and still have less money than Murray.

One of those lesser known facts of Hollywood is Murray got into all the right Hedge Funds back in the 80's and is one of if not the richest people in Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread