What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden climate change order to tell federal agencies to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies (1 Viewer)

I think you mean "impacted" where you use "dependent".....good luck with that by the way.  Coal is impacted by the weather, nuclear is impacted by the weather.  Solar/wind are impacted by the weather.
I think natural gas is immune from weather more so than other sources.  just stating from experience as major storm blew out all electric for 3 days in ND back in the day.  Had two gas fireplaces that kept everything in order.  Not comfy 70 degrees, more like 58 degrees but very bearable.  9 months later we had our 3rd child.

I think natural gas is immune from weather more so than other sources.  just stating from experience as major storm blew out all electric for 3 days in ND back in the day.  Had two gas fireplaces that kept everything in order.  Not comfy 70 degrees, more like 58 degrees but very bearable.  9 months later we had our 3rd child.
80% of Texas grid can generally be provided by natural gas. Over half of their gas capacity is offline because of the weather

Do they plan for wind to be unreliable in winter in Texas?
not really all winter, during what they call a peak winter event, so the worst of winter.

everything in TX fails below 20 degrees or so.  gas, coal, nuclear, wind, etc.  solar actually does well if you can keep the panel clear. but that’s a small %.

frozen pipes, failed pressure sensors, etc...it all went down.

ERCOT keeps the total capacity in check to keep the price high.  Enron/California all over again.  they got caught with their pants down here.  I hope some change comes from it.

not really all winter, during what they call a peak winter event, so the worst of winter.

everything in TX fails below 20 degrees or so.  gas, coal, nuclear, wind, etc.  solar actually does well if you can keep the panel clear. but that’s a small %.

frozen pipes, failed pressure sensors, etc...it all went down.

ERCOT keeps the total capacity in check to keep the price high.  Enron/California all over again.  they got caught with their pants down here.  I hope some change comes from it.
Thank you. This is basically what I saw this morning during and interview with some dude on CNBC who wasn’t  political and just talking about it from the markets standpoint.

Abbott seems to have made this 100% political, or at least that’s what can happen when he interjects that the problem was wind. I’d guess as a distraction but I don’t know this dude at all really and if this is his MO.

Thank you. This is basically what I saw this morning during and interview with some dude on CNBC who wasn’t  political and just talking about it from the markets standpoint.

Abbott seems to have made this 100% political, or at least that’s what can happen when he interjects that the problem was wind. I’d guess as a distraction but I don’t know this dude at all really and if this is his MO.
he’s as bad as Perry was politically.  the problem is he’s about 10x smarter than Perry (who isn’t), so he’s more dangerous.  wait until you see the next guy in line, Dan Patrick.  he thinks Jesus rode on a dinosaur.

hope for the best but plan for the worse.  Looks like an epic fail in Texas, & it being the best energy producer in the US.

Natural gas can most definitely be impacted by weather.  Happened to me in the Charlotte area in the early 2000s

Natural gas can most definitely be impacted by weather.  Happened to me in the Charlotte area in the early 2000s
I'm sure everything can be impacted except wood, but you still need wood & a match.  Wondering how natural gas went out in Charlotte?  Don't think it freezes. I guess maybe the delivery system which is maybe electrical?  Doesn't make sense, so just asking.

I'm sure everything can be impacted except wood, but you still need wood & a match.  Wondering how natural gas went out in Charlotte?  Don't think it freezes. I guess maybe the delivery system which is maybe electrical?  Doesn't make sense, so just asking.
What doesn't make sense? It's exactly what just happened in TX

he’s as bad as Perry was politically.  the problem is he’s about 10x smarter than Perry (who isn’t), so he’s more dangerous.  wait until you see the next guy in line, Dan Patrick.  he thinks Jesus rode on a dinosaur.
I have seen that dude a few times by accident while trying to find stupid about the real Dan Patrick - who does the tv/radio sports ahow

The same things happened in Charlotte that are happening in Texas.  Lines were frozen and pump stations went offline too.

Yeah, that is wrong.  If they haven't taken measures as specified in the attached natural gas plants can shutdown as well.

https://asgmt.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf-docs/2011/1/T06.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you mean "impacted" where you use "dependent".....good luck with that by the way.  Coal is impacted by the weather, nuclear is impacted by the weather.  Solar/wind are impacted by the weather.
How is nuclear impacted by the weather?  I live right by a nuclear plant and it has never shut down because of weather.  

How is nuclear impacted by the weather?  I live right by a nuclear plant and it has never shut down because of weather.  
It should not be, they build nuclear plants in cold weather, however texas did lose 1/4 of it's nuclear capacity during the outage.

They must not insulate them or something.  We had -50 windchill a couple of years ago here and had no problems.  Ours is on Lake Michigan also.  
Read to the end before responding this time :thumbup:

Was going to say it has to be poor execution or insufficient protection of instruments and the like....similar to the other forms.

According to a Jeffries analysis and this concurring one EVs are no more environmentally friendly than ICE based vehicles.  Turns out making the batteries is an incredibly energy intensive process an that the breakeven is right at the point at which batteries are replaced.

So maybe we should be ending EV subsidies?

According to a Jeffries analysis and this concurring one EVs are no more environmentally friendly than ICE based vehicles.  Turns out making the batteries is an incredibly energy intensive process an that the breakeven is right at the point at which batteries are replaced.

Yeah.  I mentioned that all the "climate change omg!!" types were doing was just moving the pollution/energy consumption to the FRONT of the manufacturing process instead of the end user.  We're going to go from pollution of the air to pollution of the land/envrionment with these incredibly NON-ENVIRONMENT FRIENDLY batteries.  

Making those batteries, like you said, cost as much if not MORE energy and toxic waste than ICE engines.

Of course, the virtue posters don't want to believe any of that.

many well to wheel studies have been done.  where I live, my EV is the equivalent of about 60 mpg.  I’ll take that.

love your blog post though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread