What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden pardons those with federal convictions for possessing marijuana (1 Viewer)

Amused to Death

Footballguy
Good first step, now make it legal at the Federal level.

WASHINGTON – President Joe Biden announced Thursday he is pardoning people with federal convictions for simple possession of marijuana, a historic move that could help more than 6,500 people and sends a powerful message on how such actions should be treated.

The vast majority of convictions happen at the state level. The president is urging states to likewise pardon those offenders.

"Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana," Biden said in a statement. "It’s time that we right these wrongs."

Biden is also asking the departments of Justice and Health and Human Services to review how marijuana should be scheduled under federal law.

White House officials said the president is making the move to fulfill a campaign promise as efforts in Congress to address the issue have stalled.

"As I often said during my campaign for president, no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana," Biden said. "Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit."

Biden said the "collateral consequences" of convictions for marijuana possession include being denied employment, housing, or educational opportunities.

The Justice Department will issue certificates of pardons to those eligible.

WASHINGTON – President Joe Biden announced Thursday he is pardoning people with federal convictions for simple possession of marijuana, a historic move that could help more than 6,500 people and sends a powerful message on how such actions should be treated.

The vast majority of convictions happen at the state level. The president is urging states to likewise pardon those offenders.

"Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana," Biden said in a statement. "It’s time that we right these wrongs."

Biden is also asking the departments of Justice and Health and Human Services to review how marijuana should be scheduled under federal law.

White House officials said the president is making the move to fulfill a campaign promise as efforts in Congress to address the issue have stalled.

"As I often said during my campaign for president, no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana," Biden said. "Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit."

Biden said the "collateral consequences" of convictions for marijuana possession include being denied employment, housing, or educational opportunities.

Good move imo...do we know how many people currently in prison that would be released.

So if had possessed 20,000lbs of Marijuana, would I be released too?

Or are we talking those that had a joint or two on them?

First one would be bad. Second one I don't have an issue with.

Good move imo...do we know how many people currently in prison that would be released.
About 6,500.

do we have room in the jails now to actually house criminals, or is the no-cash bail a thing?
They just needed to make room for all the blue-hair anti-abortionists Biden's DOJ is looking to lock up. No worries, the plan is still to release the murders without bail.
You are without a doubt the most angry poster in this place. Why can’t you just chill occasionally and not come out swinging with nonsense?

So if had possessed 20,000lbs of Marijuana, would I be released too?

Or are we talking those that had a joint or two on them?

First one would be bad. Second one I don't have an issue with.
Most people who have had 20,000 lbs of weed have never been arrested.

About 6,500.
The direct significance of this move is pretty minor. But as he said in his statement, his goal is to put pressure on governors to do the same. If there is widespread adoption of this policy at the state level, that would have a huge impact

Combine this with showing zero mercy for anyone dealing/trafficking Fentanyl and you are on the right path.
Take a break from the bashing and just give him props for this move --

What bashing? Maybe drop the constant partisanship and you would realize there was zero bashing in my post.
OK -- at best, a back handed compliment? Baby steps.
and MY constant partisanship ? :potkettle:

About 6,500.
The direct significance of this move is pretty minor. But as he said in his statement, his goal is to put pressure on governors to do the same. If there is widespread adoption of this policy at the state level, that would have a huge impact
Most states that have already legalized pot released people in jail for possession. Even if some states don't, moving forward with legalizing it at the federal level would have a huge impact nationwide. Even though it's been legal here for a long time, most banks won't deal with it because in theory the feds could change their mind and start enforcement at any time. That makes weed stores cash only businesses, which in turn causes them to be a target for armed robberies. Switching to a card-only model would lower crime and save lives.

Combine this with showing zero mercy for anyone dealing/trafficking Fentanyl and you are on the right path.

What bashing? Maybe drop the constant partisanship and you would realize there was zero bashing in my post.

Go nag someone else please.

Go nag someone else please.
OK GB --you know a little giggle smoke will help with that ---:cool:

I wonder where we are with that Safe Banking Act (or whatever it was called)?
They absolutely need to fix this. This is the thing that addresses making weed shops have to use cash and not regular banking, right?
Passed the House, the Senate is still dawdling. Maybe Brandon's move and getting it re-scheduled will goose them along.

Crazier still are the IRS provisions that don't allow weed retailers to deduct normal operating expenses like wages, rent and utilities. That probably won't get fixed until it's legalized federally.

I'm not a big marijuana fan to begin with but passing it off as "just another plant" is akin to passing off a Lamborghini as "just another car".

There is a difference and there should be controls around it like any other drug.
I'm not either. But that doesn't mean I get to tell people what they can and cannot ingest into their own system. So long as it does not affect me directly and they're using it safely, what's the problem?

People are going to make unsafe choices whether they are legal or not- they can do it with open markets and daylight, or black markets, violence & prisons packed to the gills.

It's certainly no worse than alcohol and I never seen people questioning how many pounds of it they can own. Tired of our lives being run by puritans

I do have to say was In NYC a couple weeks ago. Was staying in Chelsea / Midtown area. I think the time I smelled normal NYC air was less than I smelled bud I think. Not sure if they made it legal there or what but it was like a Phish show.

Users who are viewing this thread