What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BIG Off-season WR trade (1 Viewer)

Who are the would-be buyers? Not sure who can afford it, but here's who might be interested in adding an impact WR.
Ravens
Bears
Giants
Cowboys
Texans
Titans
Patriots

Last year a number of big WR trades went down, and mostly the teams receiving their shiny new toys are happy with the results. Looking at this year's fa crop is pretty depressing, so if any team plans to get better at WR then they'll have to give up something in return. Who do you think could be on the move, and what for?

My thought is that Tampa could package one of Mike Evans or Chris Godwin and their first in order to move into the top ten to grab a qb of their choice.
i've been thinking about this one for like 2-3 months. I do wonder if there is any sense if Jefferson would want to leave Minny. He certainly seemed down after they got squashed by the Giants.
JJ, my man....

Beware of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. Some teams are WR hell.

Love,
DJ Moore

I think I mentioned this before, but did those big WR trades REALLY work out for those teams?
Adams to LV, terrible record and missed playoffs.
Tyreek to Miami. He did awesome but they missed the playoffs.
Allen Robinson. Was he traded?? Either way yuck.
AJ Brown worked out nice on that stacked team.

It's tough to pay big money AND big draft pick value for a WR.

Adams set the Raiders' franchise record for most receiving yards in a season.

Miami did make the playoffs, and Tyreek definitely elevated that offense. It was the mismanagement of Tua's health that doomed Miami, not the Tyreek trade.

Allen Robinson was a free agent.

Most of the 1st Rd WRs from the 2020 class outside of Ruggs(jail) and Reagor who might be looking for his 3rd team soon, most of them are likely to be extended or have the 5th year option pressed by their teams.

As a (trying-not-to-be-a-)Raiders fan, looking at the WRs taken in the 1st (and 2ND!) round of the 2020 draft makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

-I'd like to also remind people of what happened to the Titans GM after he traded AJ Brown away, Titans floundered and he got fired.
-What happened to Green Bay this year after they decided not to pay the big money to Adams and trade him instead, Packers didn't go very far.
-KC has done a fantastic job minus Hill but I imagine they wish they had him a week from Sunday vs Philly.

In the end I think most GMs are not going to gamble and trade away Top 5-10-15 talent at WR in a pass happy league.
The idea that teams cripple themselves with $20M-$25M a year stud Wideouts is a farce with the new salary cap going up to $256M next year and close to $290M in just 24 months, these skill players are going to get paid huge amounts of money in the next year.

I think I mentioned this before, but did those big WR trades REALLY work out for those teams?
Adams to LV, terrible record and missed playoffs.
Tyreek to Miami. He did awesome but they missed the playoffs.
Allen Robinson. Was he traded?? Either way yuck.
AJ Brown worked out nice on that stacked team.

It's tough to pay big money AND big draft pick value for a WR.
Lv was held out of the playoffs by bad coaching. At times Adams was the only part of their passing game that existed. Miami was held out of the playoffs by multiple concussions on Tua. Hill was, arguably, the best WR in the league (I will accept 2nd behind Jefferson). Both moves noticeably improved the team even if it didn't result in a playoff berth.
Robinson was a fa signing.
Brown was such a great move that the Tenn GM was fired after he destroyed them.

Considering a WR can't coach or protect a qbs brain I will argue that all big trades mentioned were worth it.

Evans makes sense because this is the last year of his deal.

Another one on the last year of his deal is Tee Higgins. Though so is Boyd. But if Cincy (historically not huge spenders) wants to get ahead of the curve, maybe they deal Higgins.
I read somewhere recently that Cinci has every intention of running it back.

I would think Boyd would be the odd man out if they’re going to make a deal.
I'm sure they'd rather keep Higgins, just thinking that he would certainly fetch more in a trade.
I can't see how CIN can pay Burrow, Chase and Higgins long term. CIN would be smart to see what they could get in a trade (which is a lot). But I can see CIN making one more run before they have to pay Chase the big money.

Evans makes sense because this is the last year of his deal.

Another one on the last year of his deal is Tee Higgins. Though so is Boyd. But if Cincy (historically not huge spenders) wants to get ahead of the curve, maybe they deal Higgins.
I read somewhere recently that Cinci has every intention of running it back.

I would think Boyd would be the odd man out if they’re going to make a deal.
I'm sure they'd rather keep Higgins, just thinking that he would certainly fetch more in a trade.
I can't see how CIN can pay Burrow, Chase and Higgins long term. CIN would be smart to see what they could get in a trade (which is a lot). But I can see CIN making one more run before they have to pay Chase the big money.
Heard one rumor that Burrow and Chase were already beginning to negotiate with the team and amongst themselves about how to fit some team-friendly and incentive laden deals so that they can stay together long-term and not cripple the team and hopefully extend their window for many more years. Forget where I saw it on twitter, I'll have to go dig.

Heard one rumor that Burrow and Chase were already beginning to negotiate with the team and amongst themselves about how to fit some team-friendly and incentive laden deals so that they can stay together long-term and not cripple the team and hopefully extend their window for many more years. Forget where I saw it on twitter, I'll have to go dig.
That would be a smart way to go for them. Their success will be linked to each other and only improve if they can figure it out. I still am shocked that some players don't realize this and figure out that the better their team is the more endorsement opportunities come and that is where they can make up the lost cash for taking a lesser contract.

The biggest issue here is ego. Contract size is a measuring stick on how they are perceived in relation to their peers. This is the hardest hurdle to jump over when thinking logically to take less money to make their teams better. In the end they can make up lost salary with endorsement money if they are smart about it but the ego of being the 20th highest paid WR is too much to let it go most of the times.

-I'd like to also remind people of what happened to the Titans GM after he traded AJ Brown away, Titans floundered and he got fired.
-What happened to Green Bay this year after they decided not to pay the big money to Adams and trade him instead, Packers didn't go very far.
-KC has done a fantastic job minus Hill but I imagine they wish they had him a week from Sunday vs Philly.

In the end I think most GMs are not going to gamble and trade away Top 5-10-15 talent at WR in a pass happy league.
The idea that teams cripple themselves with $20M-$25M a year stud Wideouts is a farce with the new salary cap going up to $256M next year and close to $290M in just 24 months, these skill players are going to get paid huge amounts of money in the next year.
Man, this.

As a Titans fan, I was floored when we traded away AJ Brown.

We can make all the excuses or justifications we want. But at the end of the day, we gave up a guy who now has 1500 yards a super bowl run.

Someone will come in and point out the Brown did nothing in the playoffs. Except, he scared the defense. He took up a lot of the defensive focus. The other guys were able to eat.

Man, I was responding during my morning... Reprieve... And just sort of took what I was commenting on as correct. I'm a dumbass.
Ha, yeah yours is more forgivable since it was in the context of replying to some one that had already made the blunder.

The shine is somewhat off Jeudy. He was compared to Chase and CeeDee and every special WR and hasn't really lived up to that.

I'm sure he could be special still. I'm sure there's a market for him but he's nowhere near as highly valued as some would have you think. Three years and no 1000 yard season despite the extra 17th game.

I wouldn't give up a special OL for him. A fine, regular OL sure. It's hard to find good linemen too.

Further-
Denver needs to look at why all their WRs get dinged up often. They need to figure out what's actionable and what's bad luck. I'm a fan of their young talent but is there a single guy you don't go to PFR and look up how many games he played in? I could definitely see the new staff unloading a WR or two just because of availability. Something like Hamler for a sixth? Gimme that pick, let's move on. How is he gonna install a new system when guys miss so much time? And that's an easy behind closed door type scapegoat reason for Wilson too

I think they are pretty darn happy with Trent McDuffie. Most don’t know his name as well as Sauce this year because McDuffie missed half of the season with a hamstring but he’s been studly as a rookie since he came back from injury. They’ll need him badly against Philly’s passing game. They also leaned heavily on their depth at WR and DB through various injuries this year which came from the money they saved on Tyreek. Seems like a rare win-win trade.

Skye Moore? Well, not so much so far this year but we’ll see if he improves.

Man, this.

As a Titans fan, I was floored when we traded away AJ Brown.

We can make all the excuses or justifications we want. But at the end of the day, we gave up a guy who now has 1500 yards a super bowl run.

Someone will come in and point out the Brown did nothing in the playoffs. Except, he scared the defense. He took up a lot of the defensive focus. The other guys were able to eat.
Agreed. The Titans also could have drafted better with the pick. Pickens, later in the draft, would have been a better WR, and with a fraction of the draft capital.

Users who are viewing this thread