What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black lives matter (1 Viewer)

Possibly my favorite lunchtime read of 2019. I read the story before watching the video, for entertainment purposes, highly recommend it:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/05/black-lives-matter-protester-crashes-pete-buttigieg-event-in-indiana/

The protester screams about who chose the black leadership at this meeting. He goes on to insult their clothing for one of them wearing a 3 piece suit (I guess apparently a black leader can't dress nicely was his point?)... Here is what made the video so entertaining, the guy was white. This can't be real, right? This guy wins dumbest protester of the year, imo.

Possibly my favorite lunchtime read of 2019. I read the story before watching the video, for entertainment purposes, highly recommend it:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/05/black-lives-matter-protester-crashes-pete-buttigieg-event-in-indiana/

The protester screams about who chose the black leadership at this meeting. He goes on to insult their clothing for one of them wearing a 3 piece suit (I guess apparently a black leader can't dress nicely was his point?)... Here is what made the video so entertaining, the guy was white. This can't be real, right? This guy wins dumbest protester of the year, imo.
Yuge event

After 32 years, Kings play-by-play announcer Grant Napear was forced to resign after tweeting all lives matter. 
What a world we live in. 

After 32 years, Kings play-by-play announcer Grant Napear was forced to resign after tweeting all lives matter. 
What a world we live in. 

Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.

He admitted he has a lot to learn about the issue. 
WE all have a lot to learn about a lot of things in life. Is their career the collateral that they have to pony up to learn those lessons? What lessons are worth that tuition and which are not? You know, asking for a friend. 

And for the record: Twitter is a dumpster fire and why any semi-famous person would use it is beyond me. 

WE all have a lot to learn about a lot of things in life. Is their career the collateral that they have to pony up to learn those lessons? What lessons are worth that tuition and which are not? You know, asking for a friend. 

And for the record: Twitter is a dumpster fire and why any semi-famous person would use it is beyond me. 
In this specific issue, DeMarcus Cousins basically set him up. He asked Napear what his thoughts were on BLM (no, they arent friends)? He responded with: ALL LIVES MATTER...EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!

This misses a lot of the context. Players have been claiming he is a racist for awhile. Chris Webber said he been warning Kings staff for years about the guy. Napeer was under fire 2 years ago when he defended Donald Sterling saying using the n-word didn't necessarily make him a racist. Cousins served him a softball. 

I’ll reiterate that I 100% agree with what Brees said. Disrespecting the flag at any point is not helpful. They can go protest on their own time and place - that’s fine - but it is disrespectful to do that during the national anthem and always will be. 
That is all you to take away from this? I’m leaving before I get suspended 

I’ll reiterate that I 100% agree with what Brees said. Disrespecting the flag at any point is not helpful. They can go protest on their own time and place - that’s fine - but it is disrespectful to do that during the national anthem and always will be. 
To be honest, there isn't a great deal to be proud of in America right now.  Our country has devolved into unprecedented levels of embarrassment on so many fronts. Respect needs to be earned.  And, before you tell me to just GTFO, I will tell you NO, I'd rather stay and help improve it.  

I think one can respect the institutions of government while simultaneously protesting inadequate treatment under the law. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. To most, they seem to be. That is sad. I think those distraught with the violence and looting aren't mutually exclusive in those that support the protesting, but it seems we have a "you're with us or against us attitude" coming from the protestor's side of things. 

But it's not that easy. Those that burn buildings are committing arson, and she be tried thusly. Those damaging property and lotting should also be tried thusly. There is no excuse for either. 

To be honest, there isn't a great deal to be proud of in America right now.  Our country has devolved into unprecedented levels of embarrassment on so many fronts. Respect needs to be earned.  And, before you tell me to just GTFO, I will tell you NO, I'd rather stay and help improve it.  
I’m very supportive of free speech and being able to protest. I really am. But there’s a time and place for it. Offering disrespect is not the way to gain respect. 

My take on the "All Lives Matter" and "Kneeling is disrespecting the flag and country and military" are

1. It's selfish. Those opinions are fine, but this isn't the time and place to express that. Our American brothers and sisters are really hurting, now isn't time to give our 2 cents. It is time to support them. It's also selfish in that it refuses to acknowledge the POV of other Americans who haven't had the same experiences we have had. Black Americans have fought in all the major wars with us. Those veterans that sacrificed haven't been given the same opportunities their white brothers in combat were. America to me isn't about a flag, it's about an idea (that we haven't been very good at living up to) and most importantly about the people. I support our people over our flag. The people kneeling have stood in honor of the flag for 99% of their lives. Can't people be unselfish and allow them this 1% of the time to highlight the problems that plague their community? It's the perfect time IMO because when we say the anthem and look at the flag, there are certain ideals of liberty and equality that are baked in. If those ideals aren't being honored for all of us, what better time to call it out? IMO it's actually more disrespectful  to fly the flag in a country that isn't living up it's founding traditions. I worry we are letting the flag be transformed into something contradictory to what it was founded on. Fascism and tyranny put symbolism over individuals. I can't think of much less American. 

2. Saying Black Lives Matter does not imply any other lives matter less. If I said I liked tacos, it doesn't imply I don't like pizza. I love my Black American brothers and sisters. If they are hurting, I am willing to employ basic human empathy and say they matter. Imagine other more common less charged scenarios- say your wife is having a bad day and asks you if you love her. You would say, "I love you". You would not say, "I love all my family members." That is rude as hell and also leaves some question about why you wouldn't just come out and say you love your wife. If you keep doing that every time she asks, you are an ##### husband. If you do that to black people, you are being an ##### fellow citizen. 

I am just so disappointed. So deeply deeply disappointed. 

How many years have you or did you serve? I’m at 22 years and counting and the disrespect is deciding which freedoms matter. Freedom isn’t based on people’s opinions on how to protest and I’ll continue to serve for people’s freedom to peacefully protest as they see fit. Black lives matter. 

I would say you have allowed yourself to get caught up in the game.  You have taken the bait.

Surround yourself with people you enjoy.  Do things that make you happy.  Pursue your best self.  Nothing has changed that stops you from doing these things. 

Presidents and politics come and go.

I would say you have allowed yourself to get caught up in the game.  You have taken the bait.

Surround yourself with people you enjoy.  Do things that make you happy.  Pursue your best self.  Nothing has changed that stops you from doing these things. 

Presidents and politics come and go.
We all have to do that to stay balanced but there is also a time where we have to suffer to make things better. I would prefer not to just ignore the problems of the country. 

We all have to do that to stay balanced but there is also a time where we have to suffer to make things better. I would prefer not to just ignore the problems of the country. 
I said nothing about ignoring problems.

I definitely implied that people are placing too much weight in their lives on them.

The best way i know to improve other people's lives, is to be happy myself.  Being angry and stressed out hasn't ever made my problems better, why would it make the country's problems better?

I said nothing about ignoring problems.

I definitely implied that people are placing too much weight in their lives on them.

The best way i know to improve other people's lives, is to be happy myself.  Being angry and stressed out hasn't ever made my problems better, why would it make the country's problems better?
All the more reason for not getting bent out of shape when someone kneels during the anthem

How many years have you or did you serve? I’m at 22 years and counting and the disrespect is deciding which freedoms matter. Freedom isn’t based on people’s opinions on how to protest and I’ll continue to serve for people’s freedom to peacefully protest as they see fit. Black lives matter. 
I didn’t serve, though many in my immediate family have. Many of those who served, like my sister and father, and many who haven’t, feel it is disrespectful to make a statement during the anthem. And peaceful protests are fine if done in the right way including time and place. Trying to make a statement during an event that many hold dear for a multitude of reasons is simply not the time. Period. By doing so they are showing a lack of respect to others. They are looking for respect but at the same time doing it in a way that shows they don’t deserve it and don’t deserve to be heard. It takes away from their intent. It simply does. Bottom line for me is that you can’t throw dignity and honor out the window and then demand to be heard. 

I didn’t serve, though many in my immediate family have. Many of those who served, like my sister and father, and many who haven’t, feel it is disrespectful to make a statement during the anthem. And peaceful protests are fine if done in the right way including time and place. Trying to make a statement during an event that many hold dear for a multitude of reasons is simply not the time. Period. By doing so they are showing a lack of respect to others. They are looking for respect but at the same time doing it in a way that shows they don’t deserve it and don’t deserve to be heard. It takes away from their intent. It simply does. Bottom line for me is that you can’t throw dignity and honor out the window and then demand to be heard. 
But what of the times the United States of America has thrown dignity and honor out of the window?

They are looking for respect but at the same time doing it in a way that shows they don’t deserve it
I respect your opinion and even agree with much of it, but this line is pure crap.

"You don't deserve respect" is only a few short steps away from "You had it coming".

My take on the "All Lives Matter" and "Kneeling is disrespecting the flag and country and military" are

1. It's selfish. Those opinions are fine, but this isn't the time and place to express that. Our American brothers and sisters are really hurting, now isn't time to give our 2 cents. It is time to support them. It's also selfish in that it refuses to acknowledge the POV of other Americans who haven't had the same experiences we have had. Black Americans have fought in all the major wars with us. Those veterans that sacrificed haven't been given the same opportunities their white brothers in combat were. America to me isn't about a flag, it's about an idea (that we haven't been very good at living up to) and most importantly about the people. I support our people over our flag. The people kneeling have stood in honor of the flag for 99% of their lives. Can't people be unselfish and allow them this 1% of the time to highlight the problems that plague their community? It's the perfect time IMO because when we say the anthem and look at the flag, there are certain ideals of liberty and equality that are baked in. If those ideals aren't being honored for all of us, what better time to call it out? IMO it's actually more disrespectful  to fly the flag in a country that isn't living up it's founding traditions. I worry we are letting the flag be transformed into something contradictory to what it was founded on. Fascism and tyranny put symbolism over individuals. I can't think of much less American. 

2. Saying Black Lives Matter does not imply any other lives matter less. If I said I liked tacos, it doesn't imply I don't like pizza. I love my Black American brothers and sisters. If they are hurting, I am willing to employ basic human empathy and say they matter. Imagine other more common less charged scenarios- say your wife is having a bad day and asks you if you love her. You would say, "I love you". You would not say, "I love all my family members." That is rude as hell and also leaves some question about why you wouldn't just come out and say you love your wife. If you keep doing that every time she asks, you are an ##### husband. If you do that to black people, you are being an ##### fellow citizen. 

I am just so disappointed. So deeply deeply disappointed. 
Great post, GB.  Applause. 

https://pics.me.me/sometimes-people-use-respect-to-mean-treating-someone-like-a-55502475.png

But what of the times the United States of America has thrown dignity and honor out of the window?
You are welcome to leave any time.  We all make mistakes and the us is not representative of certain individual actions.  It’s the whole sum that makes a country .  We need more d brees and less killing, looting rioting thugs taking advantage of a of situation.  What of the innocent people killed, hurt, and economically destroyed? I’m disappointed in you..

Remember that guy who couldn't get a job in the NFL because he knelt during the anthem?
Does he want to do play by play for the Kings? Otherwise, it has no relevance to Napear.  We have an entire thread dedicated to him. I dont feel the need to get into it further here.  

You are welcome to leave any time.  We all make mistakes and the us is not representative of certain individual actions.  It’s the whole sum that makes a country .  We need more d brees and less killing, looting rioting thugs taking advantage of a of situation.  What of the innocent people killed, hurt, and economically destroyed? I’m disappointed in you..
What does looting and killing have to do with kneeling during the anthem? Where am I going to go where everyone acts with dignity and honor? My point was it’s totally unfair to say people kneeling during the anthem shouldn’t be heard because it lacks dignity but then give a free pass to the country the flag represents for when it has acted without dignity. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread