What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blackjacks NFL Mock Draft #2 (Early April) (1 Viewer)

Blackjacks

Footballguy
1) Houston selects: Blake Bortles

Houston is going qb with this pick I have decided. Is a new offensive head coach really going to go with Keenum or Fitzpatrick to start his new regime? The answer is simply "NO".

Botles tore up Penn St andBill O'brien Houston coach got to see it first hand.

2) Stl Rams selects: Greg Robinson

Stl Louis will try to trade this pick but at the end of the day they wont get what they want. Robinson will help the run game from day 1 and set the tone for the type of offense that Fisher and the Rams want to run (GROUND AND POUND)

I don't think Kenny Britt is relevant anymore in the NFL but the signing does tell me they aren't going to take Watkins unfortunately

3) Jacksonville trade with Atlanta. Atlanta selects J. Clowney

Atlanta gives up their #2 this year and their #2 next year for the coveted defensive player in the draft. Atl had a very poor rush defense last year and sees Clowney as their savior. Jacksonville moves down a couple of spots and is happy to get the 2nd rounders to help rebuild their franchise.

4) Cleveland selects: Sammy Watkins

Watkins is going in the top 5. Paired with Gordon and Cameron and the addition to Tate this offensive is starting to look relevant. I do see Cle drafting a qb later in the draft but I think they believe in Hoyer and want to give him a shot.

Watkins is an absolute STUD!!!!!

5) Oakland selects: Jake Mathews

Oakland lost their left tackle in free agency and lost out on Roger Staffold due to his physical. they need to address the left tackle position to protect Schaub, enough said!

This is an easy pick that even Oakland cant screw up.

6) Atl traded to Jacksonville. Jacksonville selects: Khalil Mack

Jacksonville comes out of this smelling like a rose. They get the guy they might have even picked at 3

7) Tampa Bay selects Taylor Lewan

TB is looking to upgrade their oline due to the lose of Donald Penn. Lewan had a very good combine and should be a top 10 pick. Skill and need seem to make this a logical pick.

8) Minnesota selects Teddy Bridgewater

Bridgewater's stock might have dropped a bit but his college performance speaks for itself. Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel just aren't the answer. Bridgewater will be a nice upgrade to an offense with a lot of potential and should start day 1.

9) Buffalo selects Mike Evans

Buffalo is in a weird spot. They are a good team without a lot of big needs but lacks great players everywhere. Evans is a big physical weapon that Buffalo currently lack and would help their 2nd year QB makes progress this year.

10) Detroit selects Justin Gilbert

Detroit's offense is ready to go, their dline is ready to go and now they have the top corner in the class to upgrade the secondary. Gilbert should start day 1 as well for the Lions and can help defend Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson and Cordell Patterson in the Lions division.

11) Tennessee traded to Green Bay. Green Bay selects Eric Ebron

I know I know Green Bay wont trade up. I know know Ted Thompson values his picks to much to do this.

I have Green Bay traded their 2nd round pick this year to make this jump and fill the void left by Finleys departure/retirement (due to injury). Ebron would make this offense just sick and would help replace not only the loss of Finley but also the loss of James Jones.

12) New York Giants select Aaron Donald

The Giants lost Tuck and some strength up the middle since the Super Bowl runs. Donald has seen his stock rise in the last month. He is strong against the run and gets a nice push. I could see the Giants trading back here as well but might not have a lot of takers due to the deep draft

13) Saint Louis Rams selects: Calvin Pryor

Saint Louis needs a thumper in the secondary and Pryor offers that. A physical safety with good, maybe not great, ball skills. This defense for the Rams is ready to rock and Pryor would be an excellent fit.

14) Chicago Bears select: Ra'shede Hageman

Chicago is a mess on defense and similar to the Giants they need to upgrade right now up the middle. Hageman has also seen his stock rise due to a very good offseason.

15) Pittsburgh selects: Darqueze Dennard

Perfect fit for the Steelers. Dennard was the top big ten corner last year and has a tough streak to him that will fit in nicely in the Steel City. Again, the secondary definitely needs the help.

16) Dallas Cowboys select .........Oh how I want to put Manziel here but I wont select Kony Ealy

Dallas's defense has lost a lot of the last 3 years. They could go DE, LB DT CB or safety here. Ealy represents good player with good value here as one of the fixes for the defense.

17) Baltimore selects: CJ Mosley

Baltimore likes to take leaders from big colleges and Mosley fits that bill. The defense isn't intimidating anymore since Reed and Lewis left. Mosley will bring the leadership needed to this defense that isn't there right now. The could also address the oline here but I think they need to concentrate on the D early.

18) New York Jets trade to Jacksonville. Jacksonville selects Johnny Manziel

Jacksonville packages their 2nd round pick along with Atlanta's #2 next year to move up and take Manziel. Jacksonville fans have a savior and his name is Johnny. Jacksonville would look brilliant if they could come out of the first round with Mack and Manziel and only move back 3 picks in the 2nd round. The NYJ move back about 10 picks but pick up a nice #2 for next year. With wr being an obvious need for the Jets they feel confident in this deep class that a guy the like will be there.

19) Miami Dolphins select Zack Martin

Rebuilding that oline is a must and although the Dolphins have made some nice moves via free agency Martin bring leadership and flexability to the Dolphins line.

20) Arizona selects Ryan Shazier

I tell you when looking at Arizona it is hard to say what they NEED. The oline looks complete with the drafting of Cooper and the offseason pick up of Jared Veldheer. The wr's are solid. the defensive line is scary and the secondary is very good. Shazier fits in the LB position and brings amazing talent to an already nice defense. Arizona's needle is pointing up next year.

21) Tennessee selects Jason Verrett

Tennessee lost their #1 cb in free agency and needs to replace him here. They dropped back 11 spots and picks up an extra #2 to address other issues. Very happy with getting Verrett by moving back here

22) Philadelphia eagles select Marquis Lee

Chip Kelly saw Lee tear it up in the Pac 10 2 and 3 years ago. He also just lost his top wr and resigned 2 avg wr's both lacking big play ability, Lee would be a great fit in this offense and help Philly fans forget about DJax

23) Kansas City selects Brandin Cooks

Cooks had an outstanding combine and cemented himself as a 1st rounder. he should fit nicely in the dink and dunk offense of Andy Reid. Bowe might be a very good wr but I don't think he is a good fit for Reid's offense. I think Cooks would see a lot of playing time and become the wr to own in fantasy quickly.

24) Cincinnati selects Derek Carr

Might seem like a shocker but Carr posses something that Dalton just never will and that is a rifle for an arm. Outdoors in Cincinnati late in the season and Dalton's physical talent just isn't going to get it done. Cincy would have the opportunity to play Dalton this year and probably have a nice season but before paying him big bucks have a gen in the weeds. Carr could be the best QB (especially with that supporting cast) in this years draft

25) Sd selects Louis Nix

Sd seems like they always need defensive lineman. Nix is BIG and would be a nice nose option for the 3-4 that SD runs.

26) Cleveland Browns select Ha Ha Clinton Dix

Cleveland lost Ward this offseason and replace him with Ha Ha. Earlier this offseason Ha Ha was projected to be in the top 10 and has lately lost a little steam but he is a nice fit for Cleveland and watch out.....the Brownies are starting to look like a good team..

27) New Orleans selects Morgan Moses

Drew Brees needs protection and it seems over the last couple of year New Orleans has been getting weaker and weaker on the oline. Moses is a big tackle that can help give Brees the time he needs to keep that offense rollin

28) Carolina selects Odell Beckham

They need someone to catch the ball, right...Nough said. I was thinking about him and Benjamen here and I think Beckham fits the system better and might be more pro ready.

29) New England Patriots selects Jace Amaro

The 2 tight end system works in New England but with Gronk's injury history I think they need to count on one. Amaro fits the mold to give Brady the weapons for 1 or 2 more runs behind he heads toward the sunset.

30) San Fransisco selects Bradley Roby

SF lost Carlos Rogers in FA and could use another corner. this team is pretty deep. I could perhaps, again, see Benjamin here but I think he will fall into the 2nd round.

31) Denver selects David Yankey

Protect Peyton Manning....Protect Peyton Manning......Protect Peyton Manning.

Yankey is versatile and smart and should be able to contribute day 1.

Denver spent a lot of coin upgrading the defense with veterns this offseason. Time to upgrade the oline in the draft

32) Seattle selects Xavier Su'a-Filo

Seattle is deep and strong. Keep the oline deep and young and keep building. This team should be around for a while.

I think that is an excellent mock. My only questions are Cinci taking QB and I think CLinton-Dix is drafted lower than I expect. I'm not sure he's still on the board at 20. But this is splitting hairs...

I think that is an excellent mock. My only questions are Cinci taking QB and I think CLinton-Dix is drafted lower than I expect. I'm not sure he's still on the board at 20. But this is splitting hairs...
Thanks Scotty!

II see Ha Ha falling due to safety not being a huge need this year for a few teams and Cincy, call it a gut feeling but I don't think they see Dalton as long term and that team is loaded and ready to win now.

I'm not sold on the idea of NO taking a O-line prospect at R1. They need a CB to pair opposite from Allen more than anything. They don't have anyone really. OT is on the wishlist, in case Strief breaks down or Armstead doesn't progress as the starter at LT, but CB is need here.

I'm not sold on the idea of NO taking a O-line prospect at R1. They need a CB to pair opposite from Allen more than anything. They don't have anyone really. OT is on the wishlist, in case Strief breaks down or Armstead doesn't progress as the starter at LT, but CB is need here.
I've seen reports that champ Bailey has been visiting. While I'm not getting too excited about a possible signing, I would rather have him starting than a rookie. I want to see us go wide receiver/corner in the first 2 rounds.

I've seen reports that champ Bailey has been visiting. While I'm not getting too excited about a possible signing, I would rather have him starting than a rookie. I want to see us go wide receiver/corner in the first 2 rounds.
i'd love to see Cooks, honestly, but that's me being selfish. Odell would work too. That said, the gaping wound that is CB - and the dearth of FA talent - is hard to ignore.

The Bucs have no need at OT. Seen this like 5 times. Did nobody catch free agency? According to PFF they have two tackles in the top-10 at their spot.

I doubt Oak goes LT. My bet is on QB or WR.
I think actions speak louder than words. IMO the attempt to sign Scaffold says a lot.
Well, they did add Donald Penn a few weeks later.I've heard all offseason how bad they want to draft a playmaker since they don't have any. At the same time added numerous linemen on both sides of the ball.

Bridgewater, Watkins or Evans are my guesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Jaguars fan, I don't know if I could handle how excited I would be to get Mack and Manziel.
I'd be thrilled with this. However, I don't see the Jags passing on Clowney in this scenario.

And I don't think the Texans are going to pass on Clowney either.

I have been seeing those reports as well. Personally I think making sure Brees has time is more important than a cb early on in the draft. The D actually played pretty good under Ryan last year.

The Bucs have no need at OT. Seen this like 5 times. Did nobody catch free agency? According to PFF they have two tackles in the top-10 at their spot.
They might have nice tackles but Lewan is a top prospect that they don't have right now. They have addressed defense so heavy in free agency I think Lovie is going to go with a left anchor in the first.

I doubt Oak goes LT. My bet is on QB or WR.
I think Oakland wants Carr and is hoping to get him in the 2nd round. Watkins is a great prospect but he is gone in this scenario and I don't think Evans is a top 5 pick. I do believe Schaub is more than a stop gap as long as he has time to throw, Hence, the Jake Mathews selection.

Great draft. Can't see the Eagles passing on Ha Ha. Love the Cincy pick.
I almost put him there and agree with you but Lee makes so much sense. They need a #1 with Maclin's injury past and while Cooper is a nice player he isn't a dominating wr. Chip got to see who Lee is and what he offers first hand, it would be hard for him to pass him up.

AZ needs pass rushers on the edge . Dee Ford.

Nice mock
I couldn't argue that but their defensive ends seem in place right now and since the lost of Dansby the middle seems a little soft. I think Mosley would be a nice fit and a nice leader for the D

As a Jaguars fan, I don't know if I could handle how excited I would be to get Mack and Manziel.
I'd be thrilled with this. However, I don't see the Jags passing on Clowney in this scenario.

I think if Jacksonville was in this position and was offered those picks to move back 3 spots and be assured they would still be guaranteed to get Bridgewater, Manziel, Watkins or Mack they would have to do it.

I was on the Clowney going #1 train for a while but I don't think its gonna happen. Houston hasn't even been linked to a vetern qb in free agency all offseason (no disrespect meant to Fitzpatrick)

I don't expect Seattle to take O-line in the 1st unless they really don't like the WRs who fell to them, but if they do go OL the name I keep hearing is Joel Bitonio.

Yea, there's about a -72% chance that Ted Thompson gives a 1st and a 2nd to trade up in the first round to draft a tight end. I doubt he would give a 1st and a 2nd this year for a similar specimen as Vernon Davis, and Ebron's specs don't hold a candle to Davis's pre-draft metrics.

I think if Jacksonville was in this position and was offered those picks to move back 3 spots and be assured they would still be guaranteed to get Bridgewater, Manziel, Watkins or Mack they would have to do it.

I was on the Clowney going #1 train for a while but I don't think its gonna happen. Houston hasn't even been linked to a vetern qb in free agency all offseason (no disrespect meant to Fitzpatrick)
I'd be happy with it, for sure.

Yea, there's about a -72% chance that Ted Thompson gives a 1st and a 2nd to trade up in the first round to draft a tight end. I doubt he would give a 1st and a 2nd this year for a similar specimen as Vernon Davis, and Ebron's specs don't hold a candle to Davis's pre-draft metrics.
And I was waiting for this response as it doesn't seem like a Ted Thompson move at all but there is a huge void in the middle of the field right now and the end zone that Ebron would fill. Losing Finley hurts but losing Jones and Finley could be devastating to the offense. As much as GB needs help on the D they will win games or lose games based on how their offense is flowing. Ebron offers a lot of upside

They might have nice tackles but Lewan is a top prospect that they don't have right now. They have addressed defense so heavy in free agency I think Lovie is going to go with a left anchor in the first.
They just signed a young LT who was top-10 at his position last year to a 5-year contract. What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all.

I don't expect Seattle to take O-line in the 1st unless they really don't like the WRs who fell to them, but if they do go OL the name I keep hearing is Joel Bitonio.
I don't see a wr that fits here for Seattle. Even though they lost Tate and Rice (who was always hurt anyways they still have Harvin, Baldwin and Kearse which is still strong enough considering how there offense is put together

No Anthony Barr?
Personally not a fan. I think he has been sliding a lot and will continue. I cold see him going to the NYG;s in the 2nd round.
Barr in the 2nd? That would be glorious. There have been talks about them taking him in the 1st, which I'm not really a fan of. Don't expect to see him by our pick in the 2nd though.

I do agree with the Giants trying to trade back if Evans/Ebron or someone else of big value doesn't unexpectedly fall.

They just signed a young LT who was top-10 at his position last year to a 5-year contract. What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all.
Who is that?

Anthony Collins?

Not being a smarta## but I have no idea who you are referring to as a top 10 LT on the Bucs team currently.

I thought, and could be wrong, that Penn played there every game last year. If an individual on the Bucs was that good I would have thought he would have beat out Penn???

The Browns need O line help and signed Whitner in free agency to replace Ward.

I don't see them taking Ha Ha and I doubt he is still on the board at 26.

The Browns need O line help and signed Whitner in free agency to replace Ward.

I don't see them taking Ha Ha and I doubt he is still on the board at 26.
I will be honest. I knew they lost Ward and was placing Ha Ha there for that reason. I forgot they brought in Whitner. Thanks.

Who is that?Anthony Collins?

Not being a smarta## but I have no idea who you are referring to as a top 10 LT on the Bucs team currently.

I thought, and could be wrong, that Penn played there every game last year. If an individual on the Bucs was that good I would have thought he would have beat out Penn???
Collins was the #4 LT in football last year according to PFF.Demar Dotson on the right side was #10 IIRC.

Premier said:
Blackjacks said:
Premier said:
Blackjacks said:
Premier said:

Collins was the #4 LT in football last year according to PFF.Demar Dotson on the right side was #10 IIRC.
Didn't he only play half the year last year and 0 games the year before? His stats show he has started 12 games over the last 4 years.

Either he is injury prone or not that good. Not sure to be honest, not a huge follower of him.

I don't know how someone gets ranked so high when only playing half a year

Premier said:
Blackjacks said:
Premier said:
Blackjacks said:
Premier said:

Didn't he only play half the year last year and 0 games the year before? His stats show he has started 12 games over the last 4 years.

Either he is injury prone or not that good. Not sure to be honest, not a huge follower of him.

The bucs just gave him a big contract and they cut Donald Penn. Clearly they like him.

I have been seeing those reports as well. Personally I think making sure Brees has time is more important than a cb early on in the draft. The D actually played pretty good under Ryan last year.
the defense played great last year but the secondary was the weak link. Greer was released - he was never healthy for more than a game or two at a time - but they rolled with Corey White down the stretch. They have Byrd and Vacarro at safety now. Lewis is perfect to man the #1 CB position but after that there is no one. I don't disagree that the scheme is to protect Brees - and they might need to if De La Puente isn't re-signed at C - but Payton is looking for balance supposedly. that they brought Champ in is a sure sign of how thin the FA market is at the position.

TT trades up to get a valuable impact player.

Not a 1st round TE...just don't see him valuing that position that much to even use a 1st round pick, much less trade up to pick one.

Not bad, but I would think Jax would have to give up more than their 2nd and ATL's 2nd in 2015 to move up to the 1.18 pick...

Not a 1st round TE...just don't see him valuing that position that much to even use a 1st round pick, much less trade up to pick one.
Possible, but how many times has TT traded up in his career? I suspect, if anything, he trades down.

Premier said:
Blackjacks said:
Premier said:
Blackjacks said:
Premier said:

The bucs just gave him a big contract and they cut Donald Penn. Clearly they like him.
Okay but where and how did he get the top 10 rating you stated earlier if he played in half the games last year and 0 the year before?

No way ATL makes a trade like that. They can sit where they are and a need will fall to them whether it's Mack, Clowney or Mathews.

Possible, but how many times has TT traded up in his career? I suspect, if anything, he trades down.
He has traded up some recently...especially in years like this where he has a few nice Comp picks he can fall back on.

As far as trading up in the 1st...he did for Matthews. I just don't see Ebron being that type of impact or value for him to trade up.

He has traded up some recently...especially in years like this where he has a few nice Comp picks he can fall back on.

As far as trading up in the 1st...he did for Matthews. I just don't see Ebron being that type of impact or value for him to trade up.
I understand the thinking behind Thompson's past, but an impact TE would make that offense almost unstoppable and cover up a lot of the defensive problems. Rodgers would have a record setting year with a stud TE.

I understand the thinking behind Thompson's past, but an impact TE would make that offense almost unstoppable and cover up a lot of the defensive problems. Rodgers would have a record setting year with a stud TE.
I don't think its just Thompson.

Just look at the top TEs recently...so many of them are not 1st rounders. There is just so much value later in drafts at that position.

And some recent first rounders are not just sure fire studs (at least not in the early years).

That said...Thompson typically does build with youth for the future. Its not impossible that he takes a TE...the chance is just small IMO, and there is zero chance that he trades up to take one to me.

Could see him more trading up to get the ILB or S that he wants over a TE.

Users who are viewing this thread