What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bob McNair passes away at age 81 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I'm watching NFL Network and they just reported that Texans owner Bob McNair has just passed away the age of 81.  He will be missed, especially in the community of Houston, where he got the expansion bid to bring back an NFL franchise in 1999.  The Houston Texans first started NFL play in 2002 and quickly became one of the league's elite.  In fact, I remember going into the 2012 season that I actually picked the Texans to win the Super Bowl that year.  The Texans remain one of the best franchises in the league right now, as evidenced by their 7-3 record.  What is everyone going to remember about Bob McNair?

I don't know, honestly, but RIP to Mr. McNair.  Probably Arian Foster is what I remember most about Houston, so I'll stick with that.  

What is everyone going to remember about Bob McNair?
Bit of a charged question given him putting his foot in his mouth multiple times last year.

I’ll always remember him for bringing NFL football back and the Texans to Houston. Wondering who takes over now in his stead, I can’t recall ever hearing of any of his children being heavily involved with the team.

Bit of a charged question given him putting his foot in his mouth multiple times last year.

I’ll always remember him for bringing NFL football back and the Texans to Houston. Wondering who takes over now in his stead, I can’t recall ever hearing of any of his children being heavily involved with the team.
His son Cal McNair is the Texans chief operating officer.  ESPN mentioned he's taken on more responsibility in the wake of Bob McNair making public in 2014 that he'd long been fighting skin cancer.

I think he cared about the city and tried to give a lot back to it, and not just for team PR.  Saddened by the news.

I'm grateful he went to the lengths he did to bring football to Houston. I first moved here in the Oiler's lame duck season between announcing they were leaving and when they actually left.  Having the Texans here the last decade and a half has brought me a lot of enjoyment overall.

I hope the putting his foot in his mouth stuff isn't the lasting memory, though I can't blame anyone that feels that way.  Right on the heels of the shock of hearing the news of his death, I admit that topic was in my mind enough that the thought quickly passed that maybe this would put an end to some of the issues he'd caused his own team.  

RIP.

I think football wise, bringing the NFL back to Houston. It was a great football town that had a falling out with the Bud Adams era Oilers, but they always deserved a team.  

Living in the northeast, I'll admit to not knowing a single thing about the man other than that one comment about "inmates running the asylum." Maybe it's an unfortunate phrase but of course the media ran with that one as they often do in today's climate. And of course I had the same knee jerk reaction and wrote the guy off as relic from an another era to put it kindly. But then I happened to catch the NFL networks coverage of him and was just stunned at the man's gestures especially regarding the shooting in South Carolina. That was as noble and decent a thing as someone could do. 

People are complicated and yet I'm guilty of judging an entire persons' life, whomI've never even met, by one comment. Im glad I saw that piece on him. Godspeed Sir.

Bad person.
I did not know much about McNair other than he brought football back to Houston so I just read up a little. Seems like a decent man.

On September 12, 2007, McNair gave $100 million to Baylor College of Medicine to recruit top scientists and physicians. McNair was a recipient of the Anti-Defamation League's Torch of Liberty Award. McNair is a primary backer of Sigma Chi's Horizons leadership institute.

McNair donated over $1 million towards the completion of McNair Field, which hosts his hometown Forest City Owls, a collegiate summer wooden bat team in the Coastal Plain League. McNair threw out the first pitch in the stadium's opening night (May 29, 2008), and the Owls beat the Gastonia Grizzlies, 4–2, even turning a triple play in the 6th inning. In 1998, the McNairs established the McNair Scholar Program at the University of South Carolina.[15] In 1999 Robert McNair received an honorary doctor of humane letters degree from the university.

In 1989, he and his wife established the Robert and Janice McNair Educational Foundation. The goal of the foundation was to remove some of the financial barriers that were preventing Rutherford County High school graduates from attending college. The first beneficiaries were the class of 1990. To date, the McNair foundation has awarded approximately $2.6 million in financial aid to students in need.

The Robert and Janice McNair Foundation, established in 2015, provides gifts to create centers for entrepreneurship at universities throughout the US. In September 2016 the foundation had established entrepreneurship teaching centers at Columbia College, Northwood University, Houston Baptist University, the University of St. Thomas, and the University of South Carolina, as we well as a research center at Rice University's Baker Institute.

I recall him #####ing about Al Davis vs the league. an event that happened well before he entered the league 

but but if he did good for others as well hopefully someone follows his footsteps 

Users who are viewing this thread