What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Body shamming people who don't work out while you try and look like the guy/gal on the fitness magazines (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
I've noticed this over the last few yrs but especially during the pandemic. People who work out constantly who body sham others. You know the type. The ones on your social media who post "motivational quotes" that are suppose to be inspirational but clearly are nothing more than body shaming and toxic masculinity type things. Calling out people for not working out, having a dad bod etc. Meanwhile they post pics of themselves in their workout or brag how much they work out, eat healthy, etc.

This bothers me for a number of reasons. One they think they are helping but it's really another form of bullying. Bullying people for being "too lazy to not work out", not eating right, bragging how they have all the answers etc etc. They post quotes on acting like men or people just body shamming.

I don't get how you will get people to live healthier life styles with this form of bullying. They may not see it as that and will probably get defensive. A lot of people have numerious reasons they don't work out etc. Not enough time between work and kids, maybe health issues preventing them from working out etc. I just think this type of thing is incredible ignorant and also keeps people away from actually working out or joining a gym. Some may say I and others are being sensitive but it's called human decency.

Does anyone else see this as an issue? I'm not in the group of either it's just something I've noticed. I think it's more these people are more insecure and trying to deflect it on others

It's pretty easy to scroll past stuff on social media.

Wow what an incredible Idea!!!! My point is people still see this stuff and can effect them. A lot of people deal with a lot of stuff especially mental health wise. Statements like this is why many don't come out with their issues or seek help. You just proved my point once again

Wow what an incredible Idea!!!! My point is people still see this stuff and can effect them. A lot of people deal with a lot of stuff especially mental health wise. Statements like this is why many don't come out with their issues or seek help. You just proved my point once again

So people that are into physical fitness shouldn't be allowed to post pictures of themselves or work out or healthy diet suggestions because that's bullying someone that isn't into exercise? It doesn't seem all that fair to make people steer away from topics they are interested in because you (or people like you) feel body-shamed. It's not like he's posting picture of you with a "fatty" caption.

Where is the line drawn - can good looking people not post their pictures because they may offend an ugly person? Can some one that gets a big promotion not post about it because some of their friends may be struggling financially?

Shamming in general seems to be on the decline. I remember when taking government handouts was a shameful act.
No people brag about sticking it to the man. Remember when food stamps looked like Canadian dollars? Now we give out debt cards.

I think it's more these people are more insecure and trying to deflect it on others
Nailed it. I don't think it's so much shaming others as it is part of the whole "look at me" mentality of Facebook, et al. Which I guess is part of the insecurity.

Yep won't make this political but just using this as a reference. Have a buddy who a MAGA supporter believes every conspiracy out there. Post a lot of toxic masculinity type quotes from "motivational speakers" from that side of the isle and brags about working out constantly. Use to be a heavy drinker and glad he got sober. However a lot of his post are looking down on others for having similar faults. It looks like the pot calling the kettle black.

There's definitely a lot of hey look at me on social media. Most of my friends fortunately aren't that type.

Also said friend and I have a good relationship. I'm currently looking to get out of my current job. He was fired from his job as a meat cutter at a place do to a miscommunication. Basically they were in mask old women couldn't hear him so he was talking loudly. Older women reported him to cooperate for yelling at her and he got fired despite his own department manager seeing the whole thing and telling them she couldn't hear them well so thy were trying to talk loud enough for her to hear and he gave her an item on the house. He now works down the street at a meat village type place with a good boss and great hours. He told me for now I was better off where I was do to benefits and probably won't be as paid as much. So despite what he posts we do get along when in person.

So people that are into physical fitness shouldn't be allowed to post pictures of themselves or work out or healthy diet suggestions because that's bullying someone that isn't into exercise? It doesn't seem all that fair to make people steer away from topics they are interested in because you (or people like you) feel body-shamed. It's not like he's posting picture of you with a "fatty" caption.

Where is the line drawn - can good looking people not post their pictures because they may offend an ugly person? Can some one that gets a big promotion not post about it because some of their friends may be struggling financially?

never said they shouldn't its the way they go about it though. The whole look at me I'm fit and your too lazy to work out. Posting motivational quotes type stuff thats nothing more then shaming or going after people. Acting like they are helping out but are mostly backhanded complements to people. It's how they go about it. I personally don't care if you work out or not. Doesn't prove a dam thing to me one way or another.

look at me I'm fit and your too lazy to work out
This part may be all in your head though if the person isn't actually saying that.

My "scroll past" comment stands - you seem bothered by something that may not be as nefarious as you're making it out to be. I hate all the political BS on Facebook if some one constantly posts Biden or Trump memes exclusively, I'll snooze them for 30 days - I surely wouldn't tell them they CAN'T post that stuff though.

This part may be all in your head though if the person isn't actually saying that.

My "scroll past" comment stands - you seem bothered by something that may not be as nefarious as you're making it out to be. I hate all the political BS on Facebook if some one constantly posts Biden or Trump memes exclusively, I'll snooze them for 30 days - I surely wouldn't tell them they CAN'T post that stuff though.
Exactly. If someone wants to waste someone else's time, that's better than them wasting my time.

Shamming in general seems to be on the decline. I remember when taking government handouts was a shameful act.
No people brag about sticking it to the man. Remember when food stamps looked like Canadian dollars? Now we give out debt cards.
And they use those normal looking debt cards to buy delicious ice cream cakes that even I can't afford.

I disagree to an extent. Political I won't say they can't post unless its something truly offensively or harmful to everyone. However when it comes to body shaming and other things it's a form of online bullying and really shouldn't be posted. Its not just body shamming but the toxic masculinity type posts. You just don't know what someone is going through in their life.

Most the people on my facebook that post those workout photos are posting for other people that work out and not to shame other people. My sister is big into marathons and runs multiple marathons a year. She is not posting those photos to shame anyone, but rather they are for her group of friends that also runs marathons. I couldn't run 3 miles right now, but I am not offended.

I have no idea why you think that those types of photos are to body shame someone else, and it 100% is not online bullying. You probably should not call it that.

Seems like you're being extremely judgmental and painting a broad brush. How do you know their intentions? I'm sure a lot of these people are helpful in motivating others and posting what they're passionate about.

So I’m a totally body shamable guy who is now working out pretty heavily at a gym with an active social media presence and am somewhat inundated with fitness influencers. So I think I have a petty unique perspective on this.

Motivational bromides are just something you’re going to get in the fitness community. I think it’s understandable. You don’t get to look like a fitness influencer without being REALLY into working out. They find it energizing and motivating and they want to share it. Sometimes it’s hokey. As someone in much worse shape, it isn’t always motivating and energizing for me, but it still is more often than not, and I think there is probably less body shaming than in the past.

I know the people in my gym are very encouraging to me, even when I’m having to finish a push-up movement on my knees or something. Maybe it’s the nature of the group workout we do, but everyone is too busy getting their own asses kicked to judge anyone else. And there is a certain sense of community built by going through some particularly evil workout together. So people tend to share on social media. That, and we’re all thirsty bitches.

I think it's more these people are more insecure and trying to deflect it on others
Nailed it. I don't think it's so much shaming others as it is part of the whole "look at me" mentality of Facebook, et al. Which I guess is part of the insecurity.
That’s it imo. Few people even think about others when they’re posting about their activities, except to want “likes”.

Most the people on my facebook that post those workout photos are posting for other people that work out and not to shame other people. My sister is big into marathons and runs multiple marathons a year. She is not posting those photos to shame anyone, but rather they are for her group of friends that also runs marathons. I couldn't run 3 miles right now, but I am not offended.

I have no idea why you think that those types of photos are to body shame someone else, and it 100% is not online bullying. You probably should not call it that.
Don't get me started on those running people.... amirite

Shaming people or making them feel bad for weighing what they weigh is obviously bad. It doesn't really help society writ large. I respond to body shaming, but I get I'm not representative of how most people tick.

I also think there's a just as big trend on social media that is basically being however fat you want is healthy. I think that's even more harmful than the thread topic.

Pretty much anyone who isn't a top level athlete would benefit from more exercise. Run, bike, hike, ski, climb, lift weights. You'll have fun. You'll look better. You'll feel better. Your heart rate, blood pressure, cancer risk will all be better. But trying to tease or shame 99% of people just isn't gonna work. The people who respond to that probably have issues and are probably working out already.

Quit social media. Get some exercise. It'll make you happier

Don't get me started on those running people.... amirite
Those people are the WORST.

Shamwow!

Vince, we got a wet car here...what, cat your tongue?

Anyway, if you got all of that, you know way more about Vince "Slap Chop" Whatever than is necessary.

As for body shaming. It depends. Are they explicitly shaming people, or are they implicitly shaming per your opinion. I'd need to know that before I commented further about your particular social media situation. Generally, anybody posting workout pictures and motivational quotes is fine by me. People posting the health benefits of fitness vs. obesity (I am technically close to obese per BMI) are fine, also. I just look at it like they're helping and caring about obese people. But where it runs the course is calling people "fatties" or other such nonsense. There's no need for that in civil discourse.

That's all I've got about that.

Yeah, this is the new trend; those who look good and are healthy better not talk about it or show it off, but those who are overweight and unhealthy need to be told repeatedly how great they look.

I agree that body shaming is unkind, but it goes both ways. I mean, FFS, Adele got a bunch of crap last year for losing all that weight, which apparently meant she was ashamed of being fat. Or maybe, just maybe, she wanted to be healthier. Crazy idea, I know.

Everyone has their insecurities. I certainly have mine.

But if you're taking someone taking pictures of themselves working out and "motivational quotes" as "body shaming", "bullying" or "toxic masculinity" (God I HATE this phrase) that seems to be much more of a you problem than a them problem.

I mean...if the dude is posting pictures of himself slathered in baby oil with a caption of "all you dad bods can SUCK it. THIS is where its at!!!"...then yeah.....tool bag move.

Plenty of potential gray area here, but I have plenty of friends who make posts about various parts of their fitness journey. And they run the gamut from a 300+ lb dude who has dropped down to 260 to a former dad bod who has lost like 40 lbs and now teaches yoga to a former body building competitor who now owns a cross fit gym.

A lot of is probably "for the likes" (or in the case of the last 2, advertising their business venture) but I dont see any of it as knocking those who aren't into it. And if you personally feel that way, you're one click away from never having to see it again. If I post about a great round of golf I played, am I "golf shaming" those that can't break 100? If my mom makes a post about a success she had at work is she "career shaming" those that aren't as successful?

Yeah, this is the new trend

It's not new. As far back as 1997, when I worked on a book about obesity and its health detriments, the NAAFA (National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance) was around, policing what could and couldn't be said about obesity. They were heavy into "body-positive" things, like putting mega obese people in swimwear for commercials and stuff like that.

Embarrassing politically correct crap that of course won out in our "woke" era.

Body shaming sucks. The reverence shown the obese these days sucks just as much and is a problem.

Sounds like a familiar start...

Harrison Bergeron

In the year 2081, the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the Constitution dictate that all Americans are fully equal and not allowed to be smarter, better-looking, or more physically able than anyone else. The Handicapper General's agents enforce the equality laws, forcing citizens to wear "handicaps": masks for those who are too beautiful, loud radios that disrupt thoughts inside the ears of intelligent people, and heavy weights for the strong or athletic.

Not enough time between work and kids
The people who "don't have time" to exercise are the same people who "can't afford" to save for retirement (or pay off their student loans) but go out to eat all the time, have brand new iPhones, etc., etc.

Do it or don't do it, that's up to you. But saying that you "don't have time" is a cop out.
Most of us had nothing but time during covid. What happened to our collective obesity rates during that period? Not enough time isn't the problem.

People who work out constantly who body sham others. You know the type. The ones on your social media who post "motivational quotes" that are suppose to be inspirational but clearly are nothing more than body shaming and toxic masculinity type things.
Can you give an example of this?

This is all I can see when perusing this thread:

"Here at Globo Gym we understand that ugliness and fatness are genetic disorders, like baldness or necrophilia, and it's your fault if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it."

"Here at Globo Gym, we're better than you. And we know it."

I'm not talking about those types of photos. Maybe you got a better friend group. I'm talking about posting photos then having a comment above the picture in description of their post how they are doing things the right way while making off hand comments about people who don't do the work like them.

I have a close friend who was my JR prom date plus my brother's Girlfriend and they both do marathons. My JR Prom date does it with her family and a fiend of hers. But they aren't posting back handed comments or compliments along with it. I've gone and supported my friend at these marathons since she's part of a close nit friends group of mine. She's not posting anything to put down people is who I'm talking about.

Not enough time between work and kids
The people who "don't have time" to exercise are the same people who "can't afford" to save for retirement (or pay off their student loans) but go out to eat all the time, have brand new iPhones, etc., etc.

Do it or don't do it, that's up to you. But saying that you "don't have time" is a cop out.

Ah thats the mentality I was speaking of. Things are more expensive now. Most of the people I see saying these things aren't getting fancy iPhones etc but hey thanks for stereotyping whole generation as being lazy. I guess we should lace up those bootstraps and go find better jobs etc right......

Seems like you're being extremely judgmental and painting a broad brush. How do you know their intentions? I'm sure a lot of these people are helpful in motivating others and posting what they're passionate about.

trust me I'm not painting a broad brush. I know a few of these people and they aren't trying to be helpful. There's a whole group in the fitness field who look down on others. I had a coworker who was part of that crowd and then realized what a bunch of d-bags they were. Started apologizing to people, went back to school while working with me and became a personal trainer and really good one at that. He's great with anyone who wants to start, doesn't push people out of their comfort zone etc.

Users who are viewing this thread