What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boston Sports Mt. Rushmore (1 Viewer)

Which 4 players would you put on Boston's Sports Mount Rushmore?

• Larry Bird

Votes: 143 78.6%
  • Bill Russell

Votes: 110 60.4%
  • Bobby Orr

Votes: 134 73.6%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 130 71.4%
  • Carl Yastrzemski

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • David Ortiz

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • John Havlicek

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Ray Borque

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Phil Esposito

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Ted Williams

Votes: 157 86.3%
  • Pedro Martinez

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Other (who?)

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
I am not a Boston fan at all............ I'd have to think that Ted Williams and Larry Bird are mortal locks. And Bird is a lock so to is Russell, no?

The last one is impossible. To me it would come down to Orr, Brady, or Yaz and you can make an argument for any of them.......

Or I could be way way off.

I am not a Boston fan at all............ I'd have to think that Ted Williams and Larry Bird are mortal locks. And Bird is a lock so to is Russell, no?

The last one is impossible. To me it would come down to Orr, Brady, or Yaz and you can make an argument for any of them.......

I'm grew up in Boston and you are right on...Went Bird, Russell (11/13 NBA championships) Ted Williams, and wanted to go Orr, but figured Brady had knocked off hockey.

ETA: If there was a fifth place, I would add Johnny Most. He symbolized the Celtics like Harry Caray was the Cubs.

"Havilcek Stole the Ball"

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady, Orr, Bird, Williams
you can't leave the guy with 10 rings out.

SICK debate...I know Orr was a great player, but I had to go Brady by a nose over him....

really, if anyone, Bird should be left out but he out of anyone seems more Boston sports than anyone.

We need 5. The whole Bird/Russell question is imposable to answer and you can't not have Brady/Orr/Williams.

We may need to argue a 6th because of Orr/Bourque, but I'm willing to say Orr is the clear favorite over Bourque.

New York's would be just as impossible. You could have 4 Yankees and not be "wrong" but that leaves out a lot of names. Enjoy these discussions always.

Back to Boston.... how do you leave out Orr? You can't ignore hockey - they are one of the first 6 for goodness sake, aren't they?

I'm grew up in Boston and you are right on...Went Bird, Russell (11/13 NBA championships) Ted Williams, and wanted to go Orr, but figured Brady had knocked off hockey.

ETA: If there was a fifth place, I would add Johnny Most. He symbolized the Celtics like Harry Caray was the Cubs.

Can you really knock of Orr though? That's why it's impossible to me. Boston is first 6 city for hockey. And Orr is a legend not just in the city but the entire sport.

Having been old enough to see him play, Bobby Orr dominated the game like no other - he has to be #1 IMO

I lived in St Louis and when we were on the rink or pond - you wanted to play like Bobby Orr - everyone wanted to play like Bobby Orr - everyone wanted to wear a #4 sweater and I'm sure it was that way across the US and Canada.

I've thought about this since I'm from that area, and it's difficult to pick just four.

I'm going to go off the board with a surprise pick. I'd reserve one spot on the Boston Sports Mt. Rushmore for Team Hoyt, **** and Rick Hoyt. I'm assuming that most people are familiar with Rick and **** Hoyt, but if you're not they are father-son team where the son has cerebral palsy so the father pushes him in modified wheelchair in the Boston Marathon (along with a myriad of other endurance races.) They've now competed in thirty Boston Marathons and have become legends locally as well as inspirations internationally.

It's a beautiful story that shows all that's right about sports -- sports uniting father and son, sports inspiring others to overcome obstacles in their lives, and competing out of sheer love of sport. Every major city has regional pro or collegiate sports stars they can put on their Mt. Rushmore, but not every city has a local sports figure as loved and uniquely tied to that city as Team Hoyt.

Music Video :cry:

Along with Team Hoyt, I'd definitely have Brady and Russell. After that I guess you'd have to put a Red Sox player since the Red Sox are Bostonians' favorite team. Williams' offensive numbers are legendary and bonus points for his outstanding military service, but Williams never won a World Series. David Ortiz, on the other hand, is not yet as legendary in Boston, but he as been the heart and soul of three championship teams. Tough call between Williams or Ortiz, but I'd pick one of those two.

Brady, Orr, Bird, Williams
you can't leave the guy with 10 rings out.

SICK debate...I know Orr was a great player, but I had to go Brady by a nose over him....

really, if anyone, Bird should be left out but he out of anyone seems more Boston sports than anyone.
I don't know, man. Bird always seems higher than Russell every time someone does a greatest NBA players ever list. Sure, Russell won 11 titles on a totally stacked Celtics team, but don't most still think of Bird as the better all-time player?

Sure, Russell won 11 titles on a totally stacked Celtics team, but don't most still think of Bird as the better all-time player?
No.

Many people consider Bird a better all around player skill-wise due to his passing and shooting, but Russell is consistently ranked higher on all-time lists due to his championship dominance.

New York's would be just as impossible. You could have 4 Yankees and not be "wrong" but that leaves out a lot of names. Enjoy these discussions always.

Back to Boston.... how do you leave out Orr? You can't ignore hockey - they are one of the first 6 for goodness sake, aren't they?

Can you really knock of Orr though? That's why it's impossible to me. Boston is first 6 city for hockey. And Orr is a legend not just in the city but the entire sport.
Might be that I am not a huge hockey fan, and grew up in Boston in the 80s, and Larry Bird is one of, if not my favorite basketball player ever. That might have slid it his way.

What kind of a dork are you that even though you grew up in Boston that you didn't realize #4 was a top 2 alltimer in the NHL?

Went with one of each sport: Russell, Orr, Brady, Williams.
This is correct.

I think that it is ideal to have 1 from each sport and Orr is certainly enough of a legend to merit it. As great as Bird was, Russell was such a stalwart. I feel like he embodies the idea of a giant stone face.

Bird, Orr, Ortiz, Williams.

Russ disowned the city. Brady is New England. Can't leave Ortiz off; would even take him over Williams.

It is similar to the reason to why I am a Bears fan. I am originally from Chicago. When I moved to Boston in the mid 70s, the Pats were horrible. So I hung on to the Bears. When the Patriots got good, mid 80s, so were the Bears (Super Bowl Shuffle, anyone? - won a great bit of $$$ on THAT super bowl!!!). But growing up the Bruins weren't all that good. They were behind the Red Sox and Celtics and even the Patriots. I appreciate Bobby Orr. He was great. I'm just saying my choices may have been adjusted as not being a hockey fan. NBD.

Went with one of each sport: Russell, Orr, Brady, Williams.
Same here, I assumed we were picking one per sport. Bird/Russell the toughest decision by far
Does not necessarily need to be one from each sport. Can have 2 Celts - Bird/Russell, but then who ya gonna leave off?

It's a nice problem to have, and I love the debate!
Tossup would be Brady or Bird for the #4 slot IMO. I think I'd stick with Brady and the 4 sport motif

Orr, Williams, Russell, Bird,

Greatest defensmen of all time, greatest hitter of all time, and two of the alltime best basketball players that won buttloads of championships.

Whoever is on it is open for debate obviously. What shouldnt be up for debate is that one of them should have to be carved wearing Gerry Cheevers goalie mask.

Users who are viewing this thread