What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boy do I miss the NFL (1 Viewer)

G

General Tso

For some reason today it just smacked me in the face that the NFL I grew up with is no more:

- one hour weather delays every time lightning is detected within 100 miles.

- every single hard hit is a personal foul.

- can't even get excited when you see a touchdown because you won't know for 5 minutes (after a lengthy review) if it really was a touchdown or not.

The old NFL is dead and gone. It was killed by technology and lawsuits. F.U. Doppler radar.

I think Vince McMahon was about 15 years too early with his XFL concept. The only thing that will save football is an entire new league. Similar to how MMA saved fighting when boxing killed itself in the 90's with mismanagement.

Last edited:
I agree, it's more like arena football now. The Lions suck so if not for fantasy, I'm not sure I would spend 1/10 of the time I do now watching football.

College football is vastly superior. For starters, everyone can agree what a catch is and if your hand accidentally brushes against a QBs helmet, it isn't a personal foul.

Third one bothers me, #1 is a potential lawsuit and death, #2 is former employees suing the #### out of there former employers.

There was a sideline hit in the Giant - Broncos game where you could tell that the DB tried to be compliant....head up, lead with the shoulder, hit the receiver in the numbers....,and he still got flagged. It struck me then that "my" NFL is gone. I'm still sitting here watching but it's not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell when a td is a td why wait for confirmation? I like protecting the players but don't like the no contact after 5 yards rule. To much in favor of the offense.

Well put, I miss the days of the work horse backs, the hard hits, the 2 things that bug me the most is quarterbacks looking to the refs for a flag almost every time they take a hit, and offenses getting bailed out on P.I. calls on horribly under thrown passes.

Third one bothers me, #1 is a potential lawsuit and death, #2 is former employees suing the #### out of there former employers.
Yup. It's a risk. Life is filled with risks. It's a risk evacuating an entire stadium because someone saw a lot of lightning. A guy could fall down the stairs. Fights could break out. People cold get tanked up on beer and drive drunk after the game.

Point is, life itself requires assumption of risk on a daily basis. What made the NFL so compelling was seeing grown men assume great risks at great peril. The NFL used to thrill me. now all it does is annoy me.

This is ridiculous.

These aren't roman gladiators out there.

"We need to assume the risk of a lightning strike so the meatheads at home feel good about "their" NFL."

Lmao.

You sure you dont wanna add a #4 to that list?

3-5MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS AFTER EVERY ####### PLAY

NFL is bordering on becoming unwatchable

I started watching the NFL around the time of Air Coryell and the WCO - I don't see the big deal. :shrug:

NFL is stopping everything that made them popular, they keep it up, they won't be popular.

I remember when this was a game, now it's big bidness.

There was a sideline hit in the Giant - Broncos game where you could tell that the DB tried to be compliant....head up, lead with the shoulder, hit the receiver in the numbers....,and he still got flagged. It struck me then that "my" NFL is gone. I'm still sitting here watching but it's not the same.
and yet the refs don't flag Bernard Pollard for launching himself and leading with a forearm to the head of Andre Johnson.....ridiculous

The NFL has ever been more popular than it is now.

Get off my lawn!

Cuncussion micksmussion!

I want MY NFL!!!,!

The NFL has ever been more popular than it is now.

Get off my lawn!

Cuncussion micksmussion!

I want MY NFL!!!,!
If it weren't for fantasy football, the CFL would now be the biggest football league on earth

That's how #### this NFL product is

This is why (some, not nearly all or most) hockey fans should stop trying to sell that sport to other people. If hockey ever gets as popular as the NFL is today, say goodbye to what makes hockey so compelling to watch.

I was sitting here during the 3rd weather delay of the first two weeks, killing time and thinking similar things.

I was thinking "how cool would it be to sit in a bar during a night game and watch one of these old-fashioned slobber knockers that I used to see every week (seemingly) when I was a kid: the games where the RB carries his team with 30 carries, bruising the defense into submission, the jersey all grass and blood stained. The scuff marks on the helmet.

Or, just give me a game with some incredibly great hard hits on defense. The ones that say " yeah, you don't wanna come across that middle again, brother".

Or, that crazy game where the rain comes sideways, players are covered with mud, the field sloshes with every stride of the receiver. The camera shots between breaks showing water flowing like a waterfall down the aisles.

But...instead, I'm sitting here watching a game at halftime that should be in the third quarter, trying to figure out how come we can't play when they see lightning 20 miles away but they can pretty much set the freaking stadium on fire with fireworks and choke the fans out with smoke. Isn't that a hazard of some sort?

Will I ever see a muddy jersey again?

Honestly, I know for 100% certain that if I did not like fantasy football so much that I would probably watch about ten games a year...maybe.

For some reason today it just smacked me in the face that the NFL I grew up with is no more:

- can't even get excited when you see a touchdown because you won't know for 5 minutes (after a lengthy review) if it really was a touchdown or not.

The old NFL is dead and gone. It was killed by technology and lawsuits. F.U. Doppler radar.
yes I too yearn for the days of innocent nfl spectators being killed by lighting and more nfl players being concussed or paralyzed and touchdown plays being called incorrectly.

yes I too yearn for the days of innocent nfl spectators being killed by lighting and more nfl players being concussed or paralyzed and touchdown plays being called incorrectly.
Maybe Goodell should just fine the Earth, then it'll get the picture to stop this whole lightning business.

This is ridiculous.

"We need to assume the risk of a lightning strike so the meatheads at home feel good about "their" NFL."

Lmao.
OMG, and you're from Canada? I thought you guys were so supposed to be a little heartier than that. When did lightning suddenly become so much more dangerous that we now have to evacuate stadiums if it shows up on Doppler radar? I mean, seriously. Are we now going to do this at every football game? There were two one hour delays today. I've watched football for over 40 years and I don't ever remember games being delayed or cancelled. Did I miss something? Was there a huge incident recently that killed scores of spectators?

You guys are crazy.

The league learns that its ignorance or willful blindness to concussion injuries was ruining the mental health of its players and alumni. They pay out a billion or so dollars to somewhat compensate for that and also make changes to better protect players from the potentially devastating effects of such injuries in a time when the game is bigger stronger and faster. The game must necessarily evolve as a result and there are growing pains in adjusting to the way the game must be called to avoid making the same mistakes they did in the past.

But....get off my lawn!!

This is ridiculous.

Lmao.
OMG, and you're from Canada? I thought you guys were so supposed to be a little heartier than that. When did lightning suddenly become so much more dangerous that we now have to evacuate stadiums if it shows up on Doppler radar? I mean, seriously. Are we now going to do this at every football game? There were two one hour delays today. I've watched football for over 40 years and I don't ever remember games being delayed or cancelled. Did I miss something? Was there a huge incident recently that killed scores of spectators?
Are you being deliberately obtuse? If so, it is bad shtick. Jsyk.

This is ridiculous.

Lmao.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? If so, it is bad shtick. Ysyk.
Nope. It's a serious question. Why do we delay games now when we didn't for the past 100 years? Was there a discovery made tha I don't know about? Did we suddenly get smarter about the dangers of lightning? Would love to hear your educated response...

This is ridiculous.

Lmao.
Nope. It's a serious question. Why do we delay games now when we didn't for the past 100 years? Was there a discovery made tha I don't know about? Did we suddenly get smarter about the dangers of lightning? Would love to hear your educated response...
Because there is a new emphasis on safety which the league prioritizes over your inconvenience. You know, the whole better safe than sorry thing. Say the storm rolls in quicker than they think and, by some fluke, someone in the stadium gets hit by lightning before they can get to the exit. Would it be worth it then if that happened?

The fact that you haven't seen it happen in 40 years is not an argument that precautions shouldn't be taken to ensure that it doesn't happen going forward.

:goodposting:

Much like the Reskins name debate, just because that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the way it should always be.

The thing about the hits, it seems like if you hit someone too hard, or if they don't bounce up, a flag is likely to fly.

Maybe I am forgetting, but it seems in the last decade + no one goes for a wrap up tackle as much, everyone just seems to flys at an opponent hoping to knock him off his feat. Have they stopped teaching basic tackling?

This is ridiculous.

Lmao.
Because there is a new emphasis on safety which the league prioritizes over your inconvenience. You know, the whole better safe than sorry thing. Say the storm rolls in quicker than they think and, by some fluke, someone in the stadium gets hit by lightning before they can get to the exit. Would it be worth it then if that happened?

The fact that you haven't seen it happen in 40 years is not an argument that precautions shouldn't be taken to ensure that it doesn't happen going forward.
Good luck out there, kid.

This is ridiculous.

Lmao.

Good luck out there, kid.
Thanks!

This is ridiculous.

Lmao.
This is a totally nonsensical argument; you could say the same at any point in history if the NFL had changed policy then (i.e. if they had put this into place 20 years ago, you could complain about it not being changed for 50 years). When do you suppose policy needs to be changed? Once every millennium?

Not weighing in on this - just wanting to point out this blatant logical fallacy.

Ok, serious question...

Is there really no way to put the Canadian on ignore?
Of course you can. Just go to settings. You'll figure it out.

Unfortunately, there is no way to stop people like you clogging up thread space by posting your dynasty team that no one cares about in your sig.

I'm not complaining about all the rules changes. I do have trouble enjoying the NFL not allowing the teams to play in imperfect weather. Can someone explain why the previous lightning policy wasn't good enough? Be as technical as you want. Thanks.

I definitely agree that more people's health and lives should be put at risk so that fat, drunken, complaining slobs can escape the miserable drudgery of their lives for a few hours.

This is ridiculous.

Lmao.
This is a totally nonsensical argument; you could say the same at any point in history if the NFL had changed policy then (i.e. if they had put this into place 20 years ago, you could complain about it not being changed for 50 years). When do you suppose policy needs to be changed? Once every millennium? Not weighing in on this - just wanting to point out this blatant logical fallacy.
Stay with me here... I'm saying that a policy needs to be changed when it clearly isn't working. I am not talking about the concussion issue. In that case, yes, new research came out about head injuries and the NFL had to act. I think they went overboard a little, but that's beside the point.

What I am specifically talking about now is this ridiculous new policy to stop games at the first hint of lightning. In my opinion, this is a stupid, knee jerk reaction made by an NFL management team that is running around with its tail between its legs. I can guarantee you that more people are likely to die from these delays than will be saved over a 20 year period. Think of all the yahoos out there watching this game at a bar. One more hour of drinks in them before they hit the road and kill someone in a DUI accident. But the NFL won't get sued for those deaths.

Seriously, how many people have been killed by lightning in a football stadium (college or the pros) in the last 20 years? Did I miss something?

I'm not complaining about all the rules changes. I do have trouble enjoying the NFL not allowing the teams to play in imperfect weather. Can someone explain why the previous lightning policy wasn't good enough? Be as technical as you want. Thanks.
It is an error on the side of caution thing. Of course the odds of getting hit by lightning, even in a 70,000 seat stadium are minuscule, but they they just aren't taking any chances with anything anymore. A player just murdered someone. They just paid out a massive settlement on the concussion issue. They are hyper sensitive about fan violence.

At the same time the game is more popular and profitable than ever and the league is taking the opportunity to protect itself and those associated with it. Hypersensitive for sure. But given the current temperature in America right now, and the issues the league has dealt with lately in particular, it is hardly surprising. The overcautious on the lightning thing is just one example of the evolution of the safety trumps all policy.

I get it. Sure it sucks that the game was delayed. But if the error is on the side of safety i will deal with it.

None of the stuff mentioned so far annoys me nearly as much as the No Fun League clamping down on TD celebrations. I mean, how many folks remember the Redskins (are we allowed to call them that?) WRs - The Posse - doing their group high-five? Or the Icky Shuffle? Or the White Shoes Johnson endzone dance?

A bunch of old, stuffy, rich white men were scared to see young black guys celebrate. So they created rules about TD celebrations and other rules about taunting. Heaven forbid that anybody make use of a cellphone, sharpie or anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread