What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame (1 Viewer)

beto

Footballguy
In the lull between the 2006 draft activities I thought I would bring up next year's possible #1 overall choice:

Brady Quinn

Measurables:

6'4" 220

Stats:

2005 292 compl. 450 att 3919 yards 32 TDs 7 Ints

2004 191 comp. 353 att 2586 yards 17 TDs 10 Ints

2003 157 comp. 332 att 1831 yards 9 TDs 17 Ints

Intangibles:

This guy was always considered a good prospect but really had a great year with 1st year coach Charlie Weiss.

Mechanically he has always looked good to me (but I'm not a QB guru) so is anything holding him back as a prospect for the NFL? I hesitate to think he is as good as Matt Leinart but I'm tempted to think he could be as good as Carson Palmer or Eli Manning coming out. To me he looks like a better prospect than David Carr, Alex Smith and Phil Rivers types.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd rather rate his sister :yes:

after charlie weis showed him the ropes and he showed the poise, arm, and intelligence to get the job done...he became a 1st round franchise type QB

Last edited:
How can you not like him he has all the tools and is being groomed by a guy who has had success with one of the best QB's in the league right now. You gotta love that.

NFL GMs are going to be lining up left and right for Quinn next year. Not only does he has prototypical measurables, he's flourished in the Patriots system [reports say Weis didn't change the playbook or water it down for Quinn].

If he's not the runaway 1st overall pick next year, it would be a major surprise.

The only thing keeping him from being the #1 overall pick is AP. With Weis turning him into (Tom) Brady Jr., I think he will be as good as any NFL prospect since Peyton Manning - better than Palmer or Eli.

The only thing keeping him from being the #1 overall pick is AP. With Weis turning him into (Tom) Brady Jr., I think he will be as good as any NFL prospect since Peyton Manning - better than Palmer or Eli.
Is he as dedicated to the game as Peyton?

I agree with the sentiments expressed so far, should be #1 overall next year, people are lapping up that he has blossomed so much under Weis.

Mel Kipper intimated (but didn't outright say) that if Quinn had come out this year he would have rated him higher than Leinart and Young. With another year of experience under his belt, the sky's the limit for this guy.

Brady Quinn=Troy Aikman.
If by 3-time Super Bowl winner and Hall of Famer...I think you're putting the cart before the horse a bit. :)
Aikman was lucky though.....right??? It was all the O-line.Agreed..I might be over confident in Quinn.

I see Troy..not sure why:

He'll be better than Carson Palmer

Not quite as good as Aikman.

Just my 0.02.

he's good enough that im praying the jets tank the season to take him # 1 next year after pennington's arm falls off.

I think he'll go #2 overall next season...only because San Fran will have the top pick once again, and obviously they dont need a QB... ;)

I'll wait a year. I was far far more impressed with the way Young handled OSU's D in the Horseshoe than I was with Quinn's somewhat bad performance in the Fiesta Bowl. Troy Smith outplayed Quinn in that one, considerably. Quinn's erratic play nearly cost them a game @ Stanford late in the season too. The numbers are big, but that game was close because Quinn couldn't close and couldn't hit the deep ball. Samardzija's big play was just a dump off and he ran and ran. Stanford should have won. He had three terrific weapons in Samardzija, Stovall, and Fasano. I'll reserve judgement for next season.

I'll wait a year. I was far far more impressed with the way Young handled OSU's D in the Horseshoe than I was with Quinn's somewhat bad performance in the Fiesta Bowl. Troy Smith outplayed Quinn in that one, considerably. Quinn's erratic play nearly cost them a game @ Stanford late in the season too. The numbers are big, but that game was close because Quinn couldn't close and couldn't hit the deep ball. Samardzija's big play was just a dump off and he ran and ran. Stanford should have won. He had three terrific weapons in Samardzija, Stovall, and Fasano. I'll reserve judgement for next season.
Funny how revisionist history works both ways. Had you contended Samardzija, Stovall and Fasano were "terrific weapons" a year ago, you would've been laughed off the boards.I took the question to be more about where Quinn WILL get drafted, not whether he was worth that draft slot. And, if he duplicates his performance from this year, and doesn't break his leg on his Pro Day, he's the #1 pick next year.

Brady Quinn

has going for him right now

Great size

Great mobility

solid arm strength

high football IQ

being taught by the greatest offensive coach in NCAA

Took a team no one gave a chance to a BCS and almost put them on his shoulders to win Fiesta

played in a pro atmosphere ( on TV every weekend nationally )

against him

:confused:

Funny how revisionist history works both ways. Had you contended Samardzija, Stovall and Fasano were "terrific weapons" a year ago, you would've been laughed off the boards.
Had I contended as much and been laughed off the boards, I would be having the last laugh now. I sure wasn't alone at FFToday with the ND fans who thought they were "terrific weapons" before the season started.
I took the question to be more about where Quinn WILL get drafted, not whether he was worth that draft slot. And, if he duplicates his performance from this year, and doesn't break his leg on his Pro Day, he's the #1 pick next year.
Agreed. He is the early favorite for #1 overall. I don't dislike Quinn. I like him better than Leinart. :lol: That gave me a good laugh actually.

Moz makes good points with the exception of his play in the Fiesta. It was a truly spirited effort in the 2nd half, but he couldn't close.

Quinn: 29-45 286 yards against that D looks good enough and he was bad in the first half. No touchdowns passes in the game, twice missing Stovall open in the endzone.

Smith: 19-28 for 342 yards 2 TDs, game MVP and rightfully so. He was the best QB in AZ that day. He made some incredible plays. He closed under pressure. Quinn didn't. Just one game's observation. Certainly, Quinn faced a tougher D that day, but Young handled it under much much tougher circumstances far more impressively.

He'll go #1 and will sign for gazillions.

Then all the whiners on the board will say how he doesn't care about building a team, won't share the loot with his teammates, yadda yadda yadda.

Quinn's numbers in the Fiesta Bowl weren't bad. He hit 64% with no INT's for 290+ yards. His biggest issue that game was getting hit a lot. He didn't find the end zone, but they rushed for a few touchdowns so he got them down there. I really don't think he had a bad game.

Troy Smith outplayed him, but put Quinn against ND's defense and Troy Smith against Ohio St's defense and I think it would be completely different. Though I was impressed with the progress Smith made late in the season, Quinn is right now still a better QB. It wasn't his fault that ND's defense couldn't stop my grandmother.

It's hard to "close" when every time you bring your team back into the game, the defense gives up a big play or two to put you down two scores again. At some point a QB needs some help. Just look at the USC game. His final touchdown drive was great, but the defense once again let them march the field with little time left.

I don't buy the argument about weapons either. Yes, his receivers are good, but most high profile QB's played with good weapons in college. You can definately say that about Palmer, Leinart and P.Manning.

Quinn has the arm, toughness, mobility, smarts and intangibles to be a good franchise QB. Playing in the sytem he does helps as well.

So is he good becasue he's been taught well or is he good because Weiss is using him well. The question is whether or not he would be that good under a different coach...

So is he good becasue he's been taught well or is he good because Weiss is using him well. The question is whether or not he would be that good under a different coach...
I don't think it's an either or question. I think he achieved what he did both because he's good and because of Weis. One thing that I've heard analysts say about Weis' play-calling is that a lot of times the QB's first read is the correct read.But I also think what Weis has taught him are skills that he can take to the next level.

I don't think it's an either or question. I think he achieved what he did both because he's good and because of Weis. One thing that I've heard analysts say about Weis' play-calling is that a lot of times the QB's first read is the correct read.But I also think what Weis has taught him are skills that he can take to the next level.
Right.I think you always have to separate the debate about a college player into two buckets...

1) Where will he be drafted and why?

2) How do you think he'll do in the NFL?

As we know, plenty of later round guys flourish in the NFL while plenty of high "can't miss' guys do, in fact, miss.

So I'm going to reserve judgment on Brady Quinn relative to whether I think he'll ultimately be a successful NFL QB.

But what I do have a lot of confidence in is that Quinn will be drafted at or near the top of the draft next year barring injury. He's got all the physical measurables [and possessed them prior to last year's breakout season]. And while you can certainly make the case he was a "product of Weis' system" last year, that's going to work FOR him not against him. Unlike guys like Spurrier or Tedford, who's collegiate systems haven't really proven applicable in the NFL, we KNOW Weis' system [if run well] can not only succeed in the NFL but can be dominant.

NFL GMs are going to look at what Weis did with Tom Brady [a 6th rounder with limited physical ability but a great head on his shoulders and poise in the pocket] and project that onto Quinn, who also happens to have the measurables of a prototype franchise QB.

Quinn has the arm, toughness, mobility, smarts and intangibles to be a good franchise QB. Playing in the sytem he does helps as well.
Quinn's got great measurables, great physical tools. Its the intangibles I'm not sold on yet. At times this season, he just seemed to lose confidence or focus when the pressure was on. I also get the impression (I could be wrong) that he shies away from the limelight; he's too soft-spoken to be a leader on an NFL team, much like Joey Harrington. I think with another year under Weis' tutelage, he will be even better than last year, gaining confidence and an extra year's maturation, and hopefully prove me wrong.

As a homer I'll toss my $0.02 in...

There are a few things I'd say he could definitely improve on. His mechanics have gotten better over the past year. Willingham and Diedrick had him in this terrible squatting position under center that Weis had to fix. He also has a bit of a tendency to lob his deep ball at times when he should be darting it in. He has always had a bit of happy feet in the pocket as well. They got much better this year, but you still saw it some.

I wouldn't say he lost focus or confidence at all this season that I can recall. In fact he grew in both greatly versus the previous seasons. He got tossed into the fire as a freshman with an extremely dummied down offense, but was entrusted to expand a great deal by Weis this past year. He really leaned on Brady to grow as a leader. I think the two best examples of this were in the two regular season losses believe it or not. When down to Michigan State by 3 TDs Quinn rallied and brought the team back. With 5+ minutes left in the USC game he lead them down the field on probably the best ND drive all season to take the lead back.

I thought I would bump this thread. Does everyone still believe what they wrote ... a year later.
I don't. Although, it will probably depend on his situation. Like Leinhart last year if he slips and goes to a decent offensive team I'll probably rate him better.

Users who are viewing this thread