What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Graham now starting for Philly (1 Viewer)

Anthony Borbely

Footballguy
Link

Eagles Move Graham Up to First Team

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Posted: 12:26 p.m. | Updated: 1:51 p.m.

By Jordan Raanan

CSNPhilly.com Contributor

A few weeks of practice and two preseason games was all it took for first-round pick Brandon Graham to prove he's a starting-caliber player in the NFL. The 13th overall pick was moved to first-string defensive end prior to Sunday's practice, ahead of veteran Juqua Parker.

"I moved up on the depth chart to the 1's now," Graham said Tuesday. "I had the most production on the D-line (according to the grades from the Cincinnati game). That was the biggest thing. I don't really worry about that stuff. I just came back and saw the depth chart and they had me with the 1's.

"It was exciting. I just know now I have to keep it. I can't be going back and forth."

Graham had three tackles, two for a loss, a sack and a quarterback hurry in Friday's loss to Cincinnati. Some of that production was even as a defensive tackle on passing downs.

If you've seen the Eagles' games or practices this summer, Graham's promotion is not shocking.

"Not a surprise at all," said backup right tackle King Dunlap, who spent most of training camp trying to stop him.

“I see greatness,” said Trent Cole, the starter on the right side.

Because of Graham, Cole shouldn't be double-teamed so frequently this season.

“I see us having a great time this season, flying around the ball, making plays, sacks, celebrating after sacks,” Cole said.

Parker began training camp as the starter at left defensive end, a position the Eagles wanted desperately to improve this offseason. The starter there for most of the last three seasons, he spent camp playing primarily in running situations.

The 6-foot-2, 268-pound Graham, a smaller defensive end than most, was playing with the first-team mostly in the nickel defense.

That has quickly changed after a solid training camp and two preseason games. The Michigan product has given everyone (Dunlap, starting right tackle Winston Justice, the Bengals and Jaguars' tackles) fits with his unique style.

"He's not really your typical-type rusher you see every week," said the 6-foot-9 Dunlap. "He's shorter, shorter arms but really good with his hands. Most guys that are built like that, they aren't as good with their hands and try to use their quickness."

Graham might be small for an NFL defensive end, but that doesn't mean he's weak. In fact, power has surprisingly proven to be an integral part of his game.

"I just make sure I use my leverage to my advantage," Graham said. "I know I'm small but I feel like I'm one of the strongest guys out there if you want to go in the weight room. But other than that, I don't play the high game. I just play my game."

Graham's game seems to be improving by the minute. According to his teammates, he's already a different player than he when the Eagles moved up 11 spots to draft him. And he's added to his arsenal since the start of training camp.

"He's definitely gotten better -- from summer, to minicamp, to OTAs, to training camp to now," Dunlap said. "It's always a challenge to deal with him and his hands."

With Graham now running with the first team, opposing right tackles should be seeing plenty of him beginning in Week 1 when the Eagles host Green Bay. Still, the rookie knows the production needs to be there for him to keep the job.

"It felt good [to move onto the first team], but I know it can be gone just like that if I start slacking off," Graham said. "That's not what I'm going to do. I'm going to keep getting better and hopefully by the first game and the whole season play as the starter."

So is this a three down role?
knowing philly, it would be surprising if there wasn't some rotation...but presumably less at DE opposite cole than before...it won't be situational, as much as to keep DL fresh...clearly they would want graham in on third down and passing situations... now it looks like he will be getting in and boosting his stats when he is in on early run downs, as well...LBs generally have won DROY recently, but graham & berry should definitely be in the mix this year...

Last edited by a moderator:
It really doesn't matter since they will still rotate the ends. He and Parker will still rotate, but Parker is having some ankle soreness at this time. They do have high hopes for Graham to be a nice bookend to Cole.

Users who are viewing this thread