What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Jacobs vs. Derrick Ward (1 Viewer)

Which RB do you want to start for your team?

• Jacobs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ward

• Flip a coin, seriously... they're both great

• Total voters

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
{{{FOR THE SAKE OF THIS POLL, ASSUME YOUR TEAM NEEDS A RUNNING BACK}}}

Having owned Jacobs this past year, I watched the Giants very closely.

If the Raiders could take one of them to be their workhorse next year, I'd want Ward.

Just wondering if I'm in the minority.

If the Raiders could take one of them to be their workhorse next year, I'd want Ward.

Based on the early results of this poll, I think you're definitely in the minority.

I'm not sure guys like Derrick Ward are a dime a dozen, but I'm pretty sure Jacobs is better considering he starts for the Giants and the Giants have shown to know what they are doing since they won the Super Bowl last year. That said, Derrick Ward probably has earned a chance to start somewhere else next year if he wants.

I too have owned and watched Jacobs and the Gmen all year and am not too sure what games you were watching.

He is IMO the most dominant back in the league and is going to get PAID this offseason.

Jacobs makes Ward and Bradshaw look better than they are.

FYI, I am a Steelers fan and would love to see him running the ball for Pittsburgh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ward has been very average in games where Jacobs was out and he was asked to carry the load.

We ran the numbers on this a while ago, and I don't remember exactly what they were, but it was something around 6.2ypc in games where Jacobs played and Ward was a CoP guy, and 3.8ypc in games where he was the feature guy.

All things being equal you take Jacobs for sure.

But Jacobs is going to get big big money this offseason. $18 Million guaranteed.

The question is whether the cap situation will make it prudent for them to dump big money on a position where finding replacements isn't that hard. Maybe Danny Ware could step in?

I think Jacobs will stay put but the Giants in the long run won't be better off for it.

Tale of the tape:

YPC

Ward 5.6

Jacobs 5.0

Advantage Ward

YFS (Jacobs 225 touches to Ward's 223 BTW)

Ward 1409

Jacobs 1125

Advantage Ward

Games Missed

Ward 0

Jacobs 3

Advantage Ward

Receptions

Ward 41

Jacobs 6

Advantage Ward

YPR

Ward 9.4

Jacobs 6.0

Advantage Ward

It's irrefutable that Ward is multi-facted and can fit in any system. The same can not be said for Jacobs.

Hopefully we'll get to see Jacobs go FA and run behind an OL unit other than the Giants. I would love to see how much of a "beast" he is without the Giants OL getting him to the second level untouched. To wit, the TV announcers did a nice job of illustrating how he completely misread the cut vs. the Eagles on his failed fourth down attempt. Even an average NFL RB sees that lane and converts in that situation. On a positive note, at least he can work on his vision as he watches the rest of the playoffs from his couch.

Hopefully my beloved Giants will do the right thing and show this bum the door.

Tale of the tape:YPCWard 5.6Jacobs 5.0Advantage WardYFS (Jacobs 225 touches to Ward's 223 BTW)Ward 1409Jacobs 1125Advantage WardGames MissedWard 0Jacobs 3Advantage WardReceptionsWard 41Jacobs 6Advantage WardYPRWard 9.4Jacobs 6.0Advantage WardIt's irrefutable that Ward is multi-facted and can fit in any system. The same can not be said for Jacobs. Hopefully we'll get to see Jacobs go FA and run behind an OL unit other than the Giants. I would love to see how much of a "beast" he is without the Giants OL getting him to the second level untouched. To wit, the TV announcers did a nice job of illustrating how he completely misread the cut vs. the Eagles on his failed fourth down attempt. Even an average NFL RB sees that lane and converts in that situation. On a positive note, at least he can work on his vision as he watches the rest of the playoffs from his couch. Hopefully my beloved Giants will do the right thing and show this bum the door.
Why on earth would you leave out certain important stats, like total TDs for example? Oh, because it helps your argument. I realize the fantasy season is over, so apparently this is no longer the reverse jinx type thing. You really believe Jacobs is garbage, dont you?

Tale of the tape:YPCWard 5.6Jacobs 5.0Advantage WardYFS (Jacobs 225 touches to Ward's 223 BTW)Ward 1409Jacobs 1125Advantage WardGames MissedWard 0Jacobs 3Advantage WardReceptionsWard 41Jacobs 6Advantage WardYPRWard 9.4Jacobs 6.0Advantage WardIt's irrefutable that Ward is multi-facted and can fit in any system. The same can not be said for Jacobs. Hopefully we'll get to see Jacobs go FA and run behind an OL unit other than the Giants. I would love to see how much of a "beast" he is without the Giants OL getting him to the second level untouched. To wit, the TV announcers did a nice job of illustrating how he completely misread the cut vs. the Eagles on his failed fourth down attempt. Even an average NFL RB sees that lane and converts in that situation. On a positive note, at least he can work on his vision as he watches the rest of the playoffs from his couch. Hopefully my beloved Giants will do the right thing and show this bum the door.
Why on earth would you leave out certain important stats, like total TDs for example? Oh, because it helps your argument. I realize the fantasy season is over, so apparently this is no longer the reverse jinx type thing. You really believe Jacobs is garbage, dont you?
I like Ward but talk about picking and choosing your stats.See, I can do this too:LPS*Ward 4.0Jacobs 6.0Advantage Jacobs*LPN = Letter per Surname

The premise of the thread is that you need a RB. I'd need more info to make my decision. If running a WCO or a zone blocking scheme, I'd go with Ward. If I don't have a good COP RB to compliment, I'd go with Ward for his 3 down versatility.If I'm built for a power running game and have a nice COP or 3rd down back on the roster, I'd probably go with Jacobs.Jacobs' uniqueness is also probably a limitation. I'm not sure he would flourish in most offenses. And I'd be curious to see what he does with more mediocre blocking. He doesn't strike me as being that creative. He's bull strong once he has his steam up but that's very dependant on blocking.

For his size Jacobs seems like a crappy short yardage back. Jacobs is great when he breaks through a hole, has a head of steam and runs over or around DBs and safeties. When he has to push a pile he does not seem to get the leverage needed, maybe because he is so tall.

You should post why, especially since you watched them so closely.I would choose Brandon Jacobs. I think Ward is a good running back but Brandon Jacobs is a monster back who can catch the ball, and make a move in the open field.

There's not a back in the league I like seeing run down hill more than Brandon Jacobs. I think you can find a Derrick Ward in the NFL a lot easier than you can a Brandon Jacobs.

I would choose Brandon Jacobs. I think Ward is a good running back but Brandon Jacobs is a monster back who can catch the ball, and make a move in the open field.

There's not a back in the league I like seeing run down hill more than Brandon Jacobs. I think you can find a Derrick Ward in the NFL a lot easier than you can a Brandon Jacobs.
Catch the ball?No, he can't catch worth a lick. He had only 92 yards receiving on the year!

He is a good running back when healthy but he'll never be considered a good receiving back and won't play much on obvious passing downs.

Yeah Jacobs is a little overrated. He's a good player but nothing special. Derrick Ward isn't better but he isn't that much worse than him.

There should be a 4th option in the poll. Flip a coin they're both pretty good.

You should post why, especially since you watched them so closely.
His versatility is the main reason. He never has to come off the field. Jacobs is also more likely to get hurt with his punishing style.

Users who are viewing this thread