What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Jacobs (1 Viewer)

Hugonel

Footballguy
Just seems a bit premature to not even have the guy on the Cheat Sheets considering he is not listed as out or even doubtful at this point.

Did I miss something?

Yes, I know Coughlin said the team will do the "smart" thing, but also indicated Jacobs would play if medically cleared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seems a bit premature to not even have the guy on the Cheat Sheets considering he is not listed as out or even doubtful at this point.Did I miss something?Yes, I know Coughlin said the team will do the "smart" thing, but also indicated Jacobs would play if medically cleared.
i cant chance it to wait till sunday. gotta go with pierre thomas tonight and sit jacobs. dont wanna do it, but gotta...

Im projecting Jacobs as a zero based on him missing practice yesterday, and comments like this:

"I'm just going day by day and hoping I get better day by day," Jacobs said. "I wish I could be out there, but we have a playoff run we need to make coming up. I want to be healthy for that as well.""Everything comes down to the doctors," he said. "Just the competitive nature in me, I want to play. I just listen to the that have been doing this for years. I let them call the shots."
I don't trust him this week - we've seen him be a late scratch when he was a GTD earlier this year, and he's playing in the Sunday night game, so chances are we won't have that much more clarity at the start of the early Sunday games.Since people use our projections to break ties, I feel the only responsible thing to do is project him as a zero, showing the "what if" numbers for someone who also has Ward to weigh against options from earlier games, and also to discourage people from counting on Jacobs at all.

This Jacobs thing is frustrating. They need him, they need this win! But I am happy to own Ward in both of my leagues. I just dont feel great about either of them after last week. I am most likely starting Ward but I am worried a bit.

This Jacobs thing is frustrating. They need him, they need this win! But I am happy to own Ward in both of my leagues. I just dont feel great about either of them after last week. I am most likely starting Ward but I am worried a bit.
Here are the scenarios this week for Jacobs/Ward owners in order of best to worst1) Jacobs healthy and gets full load2) Jacobs out and Ward gets full load3) Jacobs starts but shares carries with Ward equally (reduced workload)4) Jacobs starts but gets re-injured and Ward gets the workloadI think #2 and #3 are most likely, but it's a dicey situation, and until I know Jacobs is fully healthy, it will be hard to start him or Ward over Dominic Rhodes, provided Addai is out.

I am a bit less lucky as I have Jacobs backstopped with Ward (a no brainer to start) in 1 league and Bradshaw in another.Hmmm. Given that the game is a Sunday night game, I am going to go with Sammy Morris @ Oak over Jacobs/Bradshaw.Jacobs is a beast when he's healthy, however his label as an "Injury Risk" is well deserved.

I have to decide on Reggie Bush tonight or one of the Jacobs/Ward combo on Sunday night for my flex spot. I'm really leaning towards Bush tonight, but the weather hype has me worried.

What is the general feeling of the Giants running attack against the Cowboys? Like an earlier poster kind of said, I just have a blah feeling after last week. Certainly not how I felt about their running attack the rest of the year. Earlier in the year I wouldn't have questioned if they would be able to run the ball against pretty much anyone. Now I just don't know. Was it just a bad week or will the Cowboys be able to limit them like the Eagles did?

Tough call.

I have to decide on Reggie Bush tonight or one of the Jacobs/Ward combo on Sunday night for my flex spot. I'm really leaning towards Bush tonight, but the weather hype has me worried.What is the general feeling of the Giants running attack against the Cowboys? Like an earlier poster kind of said, I just have a blah feeling after last week. Certainly not how I felt about their running attack the rest of the year. Earlier in the year I wouldn't have questioned if they would be able to run the ball against pretty much anyone. Now I just don't know. Was it just a bad week or will the Cowboys be able to limit them like the Eagles did?Tough call.
I have the same call to make. I'm still on the fence. But I have to say that the weather tonight is *not* a factor in this decision. They are not calling for much precip and the wind looks to be a non-factor as well. It's just going to be cold, and if anything, that might be a boon for the short-passing game. The bigger issue for Bush is Pierre Thomas and how much he takes away from Reggie tonight. With Jacobs out (no way he plays), Ward could have a great game on the ground and get some recs. It's a tough call all around, but I would eliminate weather completely from this call.

Was it just a bad week or will the Cowboys be able to limit them like the Eagles did?

Tough call.
Dallas D held Pittsburgh and their running game pretty much in check last week. The Giants should be a better running team than the Steelers but it shows that the Dallas D could be trouble.

grouse said:
thatguythere said:
I have to decide on Reggie Bush tonight or one of the Jacobs/Ward combo on Sunday night for my flex spot. I'm really leaning towards Bush tonight, but the weather hype has me worried.What is the general feeling of the Giants running attack against the Cowboys? Like an earlier poster kind of said, I just have a blah feeling after last week. Certainly not how I felt about their running attack the rest of the year. Earlier in the year I wouldn't have questioned if they would be able to run the ball against pretty much anyone. Now I just don't know. Was it just a bad week or will the Cowboys be able to limit them like the Eagles did?Tough call.
I have the same call to make. I'm still on the fence. But I have to say that the weather tonight is *not* a factor in this decision. They are not calling for much precip and the wind looks to be a non-factor as well. It's just going to be cold, and if anything, that might be a boon for the short-passing game. The bigger issue for Bush is Pierre Thomas and how much he takes away from Reggie tonight. With Jacobs out (no way he plays), Ward could have a great game on the ground and get some recs. It's a tough call all around, but I would eliminate weather completely from this call.
I'm heavily leaning towards starting Ward over Bush now. Hixon and Jacobs both missed another practice. Jacobs seems like a lock to miss the game, and Hixon is headed in that direction too. Raise your hand if you think the Giants will be all that successful attacking the Cowboys with Toomer, Smith and Sinorice? Me neither. This is Ward's game, he's in a contract year and I don't see how Coughlin doesn't lean heavily on him no matter the score or game situation. Gotta roll with Ward methinks.

From Fanball.....

Mike Garafalo of the Star-Ledger considers Brandon Jacobs doubtful for Sunday's battle at Dallas.

Our View

He missed practice today, but the Giants are yet to announce his official playing status.

I'm heavily leaning towards starting Ward over Bush now. Hixon and Jacobs both missed another practice. Jacobs seems like a lock to miss the game, and Hixon is headed in that direction too. Raise your hand if you think the Giants will be all that successful attacking the Cowboys with Toomer, Smith and Sinorice? Me neither. This is Ward's game, he's in a contract year and I don't see how Coughlin doesn't lean heavily on him no matter the score or game situation. Gotta roll with Ward methinks.
:goodposting: This post is very on point, imo. I'm in a similar spot as choosing between P.Thomas and Ward (also own Jacobs) and I'm rolling with Ward. Best case scenario for us Jacobs/Ward owners is that they shut down the big guy for this week. If Hixon is out, and with just the two backs splitting the load, look for Ward to get an even higher volume of carries than Jacobs usually gets. And the GMen will be looking to get back to basics after last week's loss. Now the question is what can Ward do with those touches. But he's performed in the past and running behind that oline, I like his chances. And the contract year factor is very relevant as well. Dude's looking to get his paper, either from the Giants or someone else. This is a primetime stage to show he's capable of being a feature back in a big game. You know the guy is going to go full tilt this game.

The_Fonz said:
They need him, they need this win!
I disagree on both points. Division locked up.
You have a point. I am speaking as a giants fan that doesn't want to see them lose momentum. going into the playoffs losing more games in the last few than they have all season. For that reason I think they need this game. I don't want to seen them be last year's Cowboys.Being that it's a sunday night game, we may not have up until game time to make a decision unless your decision is between ward or jacobs.

More from the CBS site.

Brandon Jacobs, RB NYG

News: According to Newsday, Giants RB Brandon Jacobs has a slightly damaged posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. It is not expected that he will require offseason surgery, but the Giants are doing everything possible to make sure the injury doesn't get worse. Jacobs did not practice Wednesday, and his status for Sunday night's game at Dallas remains in question. If Jacobs does not feel confident about the knee as the week progresses, the team will not expose him to further injury against the Cowboys. "We will do the smart thing, the thing which is medically recommended," coach Tom Coughlin said.

Analysis: With the Giants already having clinched the NFC East title, there is no need to risk Jacobs' long-term availability unless he's absolutely convinced the knee is sound. Plan on Jacobs missing Week 15 with Derrick Ward expected to start. Continue to monitor the situation, but think of Ward as a low-end No. 2 Fantasy RB.

The Giants have wrapped up the NFC East, but the Panthers are closing in on the Giants’ top spot in the NFC with the two teams set to meet in a prime-time battle in Week 16. So head coach Tom Coughlin faces an interesting decision: scale back injured RB Brandon Jacobs’ carries or try to win out and secure the top playoff seed with Jacobs getting a typical workload? Coughlin’s response on Wednesday was open to either possibility but not to debate: “We will do the smart thing, the thing which is medically recommended.” It’s clear that Coughlin will listen very closely to the medical staff about Jacobs’ knee, which has no structural damage but has been strained vigorously, and will have no qualms whatsoever about having to lean on backup runners Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw. Even with an offense that already is lacking a top playmaker without Plaxico Burress, Coughlin knows he needs a healthy Jacobs in January more than he does now.

:thumbup:

PFW

grouse said:
thatguythere said:
I have to decide on Reggie Bush tonight or one of the Jacobs/Ward combo on Sunday night for my flex spot. I'm really leaning towards Bush tonight, but the weather hype has me worried.

What is the general feeling of the Giants running attack against the Cowboys? Like an earlier poster kind of said, I just have a blah feeling after last week. Certainly not how I felt about their running attack the rest of the year. Earlier in the year I wouldn't have questioned if they would be able to run the ball against pretty much anyone. Now I just don't know. Was it just a bad week or will the Cowboys be able to limit them like the Eagles did?

Tough call.
Now you really have me thinking about not playing Bush. I don't think Jacobs plays either.ESPN is thinking the same way:

"Ward is ready for a coming-out party. While the injury to Brandon Jacobs isn't believed to be too serious, the fact is the Giants have no reason to force Jacobs into action if Ward does the job just as well. Based on past performance, including the 14 points he mustered against the Cowboys in Week 9, we think he'll shine. " They have him for 74 rushing, 30 rec and 2 TD's. ............They have Bush for 21/42 and no Td's

Their just projections, but they make you think. Maybe too much. We also get points for Punt Return Td's so I have to consider that.

The bottom line is are the Giants going to be able to control the line of scrimmage and physically dominate the Cowboys?

You still leaning towards Ward....?

grouse said:
thatguythere said:

Tough call.
Now you really have me thinking about not playing Bush. I don't think Jacobs plays either.ESPN is thinking the same way:

"Ward is ready for a coming-out party. While the injury to Brandon Jacobs isn't believed to be too serious, the fact is the Giants have no reason to force Jacobs into action if Ward does the job just as well. Based on past performance, including the 14 points he mustered against the Cowboys in Week 9, we think he'll shine. " They have him for 74 rushing, 30 rec and 2 TD's. ............They have Bush for 21/42 and no Td's

Their just projections, but they make you think. Maybe too much. We also get points for Punt Return Td's so I have to consider that.

The bottom line is are the Giants going to be able to control the line of scrimmage and physically dominate the Cowboys?

I have Ward in there now, and I don't expect to change my mind at this point. It's never easy to sit a dynamic player like Reggie, but I can live with it if he goes off tonight. The tea leaves just look too favorable for Ward right now. What primarily concerns me about Bush are the TDs, ie. if he doesn't score, I worry he could post a very, very average point total tonight. The Saints can burn the Bears numerous ways, and the Bears big weakness is their secondary. So if Moore and Colston stake the Saints to a lead, I just don't see Payton using Bush to play clock ball. I said this last week and I got mildly burned (started Hightower over Bush), but I just think there are too many cooks in the Saints kitchen right now and Bush could go hungry. With Jacobs out and Hixon looking iffy, this is really setting up to be Ward's game. I can't pass that up, and if it costs me a playoff victory, it won't be the first time I got burned sitting a 'stud' :goodposting:

grouse said:
thatguythere said:

Tough call.

I'm not sure I can buy this. After the bye (Romo back and the 'Boys could actually move the ball) the Cowboys have held the following primary ball carriers to the following totals:Week 11 - Clinton Portis - 15 carries/68 yards/0 TD's

Week 12 - Frank Gore - 14 carries/26 yards/0 TD's

Week 13 - Julius Jones - 11 carries/37 yards/0 TD's

Week 14 - Willie Parker - 12 carries/25 yards/0 TD's

Not exactly lighting it up.

grouse said:
thatguythere said:

Tough call.

I'm not sure I can buy this. After the bye (Romo back and the 'Boys could actually move the ball) the Cowboys have held the following primary ball carriers to the following totals:Week 11 - Clinton Portis - 15 carries/68 yards/0 TD's

I hear ya. But only Washington on that list has an o-line anywhere near as capable as NYG.

grouse said:
thatguythere said:

Tough call.

I hear ya. But only Washington on that list has an o-line anywhere near as capable as NYG.
Fair point. I just don't think a "coming out" party is in the works. I do think 70-90 rushing with 30-40 receiving and a solid shot at a TD are very possible, though

I've got a question for Giants homers. Are the plays designed for Ward more sweeps and rushes to the outside, or does he run up the A gap a lot like Jacobs?

Users who are viewing this thread