What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall to be traded to Miami Dolphins (1 Viewer)

twistd

Footballguy
Denver deserves credit here. Coming away with two second round picks for a guy they didn't even want? If done correctly, that's two, young, inexpensive starters. Well done. Meanwhile I can certainly appreciate Miami's aggression here. Henne will be a favorite sleeper to those who try to snipe a mid round QB as their starter or as a committee guy.
Say what you want, but I find it hard to praise a team for giving up one of the most explosive players in the league for a couple of second round picks. Granted the relationship was poisoned. They couldn't keep him. And they got more than I thought they would get. But I don't think the Broncos are better two years from now with those second round choices than they would have been with Marshall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Miami had to do this. And to be able to get Marshall for a 2nd vs spending a 1st on Dez Bryant.
Two seconds. And (reportedly) the biggest WR contract in the history of the NFL.Not saying it's a bad idea, but not exactly that clear cut.
It's a huge gamble Cassius, but I can't see where they could have gotten more talent thru the draft. I do like Dez Bryant a lot but there won't be much of a learning curve for Marshall and they can get him working with Henne ASAP. Guy had 100+ receptions 3 years in a row and has even missed some games along the way.I know this, the Miami community is going to welcome him with open arms.

KoolKat

Footballguy
2 2nds? Thats it?
:mellow: We were going to lose him next year for nothing. I am more than happy with this. Especially when you look at the what market for WRs has been like this offseason. Was one season of a disgruntled Brandon Marshall worth two second round picks? I don't think so.

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Miami had to pay more than any other team.

Was Boldin for a 3rd and a 4th, Holmes for a 5th, or Marshall for 2 2nds...which is the best deal?

Couch Potato

Footballguy
Miami has to pay a decent price to get him (both in salary to him and picks to Denver) but it COULD be an incredible lift for their offense. Adding one top notch WR will make everyone better, i.e., Ted Ginn should be a fine WR2, Camarillo/Bess great as WRs 3 and 4, and all this from a team that can be committed to ball control, running, and the wildcat. I guess what I'm trying to say is that adding a guy like Marshall should help improve this offense more than it would improve the offense in Dallas, Seattle, etc.
No love for Hartline, I like him and think he's got a lot of upside.
:mellow: Agruably the best deep threat / stretch the field wideout in Miami last year.

Camarillo was rumored to be on the trading block as well, so it could be Hartline/Marshall/Bess as your starters.
Yep, looks about right to me. Marshall and Hartline outside, Bess in the slot. Looking at maybe (wild ### guess) 90/40/50 for receptions.

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
2 2nds? Thats it?
:mellow: We were going to lose him next year for nothing. I am more than happy with this. Especially when you look at the what market for WRs has been like this offseason. Was one season of a disgruntled Brandon Marshall worth two second round picks? I don't think so.
Based on what other teams had to pay, Miami might have overspent. They way overspent for Dansby, again parcells gets a top guy, perhaps a top3-5 but he pays a lot more than what other troubled WRs are going for. Marshall isn't expected to miss games though.

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
2 2nds? Thats it?
It's not a fantasy football trade.
:mellow: I think Denver got very good value considering they basically "had" to trade him. 2 seconds in the NFL is a pretty decent haul.Miami certainly needed an impact WR for Henne's development so I think its a good deal for them as well.The AFC East should be very interesting this season - especially if Buffalo drafts some o-line helo and somehow lands a QB.

cr8f

Footballguy
Curious to see what the total package is, but sure makes the Holmes deal look like more of a steal.
Apples and oranges. Sure Marshall has plenty of baggage but heA) Wasn't going to be suspended 4 games to start the last year of his contract.B) Wasn't going to be cut by his previous team if they couldn't find the right price.
that and Marshall>>Holmes
AGREED>...I think there was too much made of the Holmes deal - Mostly by Steeler haters...The Jets are basically renting Holmes for 12 games and gave away a 5th round pick for that right.Miami probably has their #1 WR for a real long time.It will be interesting to see what kind of deal Marshall gets which should blow away anything Holmes or Edwards could command.
A 5th was a good price for a former first round pick? This is some serious spin. Garcon and Breaston were 5th round or later picks but there isn't usually much value there.

Couch Potato

Footballguy
BUMP DAVONE BESS UP!!!!He will end up the #2...
i think Bess is the easy pick for beneficiary, who is the sleeper pick: Fasano, Ginn, hartline, turner or Camarillo?
Where is this sudden Bess love coming from? Marshall is coming in to take 90+ receptions that were going to Bess and others last year. You guys do realize Bess had 76 catches last year, right? He's not going to come close to that with Marshall in town and Hartline more developed. I'm guessing he'll lose 20-30 catches from last year.

Chase Stuart

Footballguy
Miami had to pay more than any other team. Was Boldin for a 3rd and a 4th, Holmes for a 5th, or Marshall for 2 2nds...which is the best deal?
The Browns should have signed Pennington, drafted Spiller in the first, and traded the rest of their picks for Boldin/Holmes/Marshall. Now that would have been a pretty sweet offense. Other option would be to go with Claussen and build around Jerome Harrison at RB, and still trade all of their other picks for proven WRs. :mellow:

Reaper

Footballguy
Miami had to pay more than any other team. Was Boldin for a 3rd and a 4th, Holmes for a 5th, or Marshall for 2 2nds...which is the best deal?
Marshall.Boldin.....HolmesAgain, I look At Holmes as a hold the fort - rental project for 12 games......But, yeah, the salaries will be interesting.

belljr

Footballguy
i think Bess is the easy pick for beneficiary, who is the sleeper pick: Fasano, Ginn, hartline, turner or Camarillo?
Where is this sudden Bess love coming from? Marshall is coming in to take 90+ receptions that were going to Bess and others last year. You guys do realize Bess had 76 catches last year, right? He's not going to come close to that with Marshall in town and Hartline more developed. I'm guessing he'll lose 20-30 catches from last year.
Bess is entering his 3rd year (the infamous breakout year). He has improved each year and led the team in targets last year by 40 targets. Hartline could be the play entering his 2nd year but I would not be surprised to see Bess improve upon last years numbers.I guess his targets will decrease with Marshall there but I'm optimistic Bess is the #2 this year. Just my hunch

pollardsvision

Footballguy
Curious to see what the total package is, but sure makes the Holmes deal look like more of a steal.
Apples and oranges. Sure Marshall has plenty of baggage but heA) Wasn't going to be suspended 4 games to start the last year of his contract.B) Wasn't going to be cut by his previous team if they couldn't find the right price.
:tfp: The situations are not even close to the same.
What?Very talented WRs traded because of character issues. (Marshall is one screw-up away for a year-long suspension).Steelers got peanuts. Broncos got something value.Looks to me like the biggest difference was the Steelers held on a year too long and panicked over Ben's issues.Yet, many consider the Steelers move a sign of them just being a responsible, smart organization and people see the Broncos move as the sign that McD is an ongoing trainwreck? Maybe the Broncos were just more proactive here, than the Steelers were, trading Marshall while he still had some value before he blew up in their face (and they could only get a 5th round pick for him).I don't love either move, but the Broncos' is somewhat defensible.

thevidon

Footballguy
How can you bump him up? His only value was as a possession guy, already catching the most balls on the team but for a really low YPC. He'll simply catch fewer balls now with Marshall getting his 90+, he's not a TD threat, so what is there to bump up over last year's numbers? I think his temporary value just took a hit.
Yeah, because Welker's value went down with Randy Moss running around the same field with him.....There is enough room on the team for the big WR1 and the small quick sure handed WR2. Bess will still be hold nice value in PPR leagues.

As I have said all along, its only a matter of time before Chad Henne becomes a top of line NFL starter. This move is one huge step in the right direction. I realize it was college but take a look at what Henne did with Braylon Edwards at WR. That combo will put up some big numbers starting this year.

Couch Potato

Footballguy
How can you bump him up? His only value was as a possession guy, already catching the most balls on the team but for a really low YPC. He'll simply catch fewer balls now with Marshall getting his 90+, he's not a TD threat, so what is there to bump up over last year's numbers? I think his temporary value just took a hit.
Yeah, because Welker's value went down with Randy Moss running around the same field with him.....There is enough room on the team for the big WR1 and the small quick sure handed WR2. Bess will still be hold nice value in PPR leagues.
He'll now catch 50 ten-yarders instead of 76 ten-yarders, and about 2-3 TDs. If that's what you guys are after, cool.They just added a guy who has had 100+ catches in each of the last 3 years. If you think the former #1 on the team in catches will increase his numbers somehow, I'd like that one explained to me.

KoolKat

Footballguy
Yet, many consider the Steelers move a sign of them just being a responsible, smart organization and people see the Broncos move as the sign that McD is an ongoing trainwreck?
:ptts: It just speaks to the McDaniels hate, which is hard to explain since most homers (at least the one's I see on a daily basis, which is quite a few) have moved on, and are now behind him. People on this board hate McDaniels with a passion, and would find fault in anything he does. Fans of other teams seem to hate McDaniels much more than Broncos fans, it is kind of ironic.

Trey

Footballguy
Great trade for both sides.

Miami got their WR without having to use a 1st.

Denver got 2 2nds for a guy they simply could not keep.

Now it is in Parcells' hands to keep this guy's head in the right place. I'm hoping the contract extension has some language to that effect in it.

i have BOTH Marshall and Royal on my dynasty team. Seems to bump up Royal's value a bit -- not sure about Marshall. Does it bump up Marshall's value at all?
You have got to be kidding. First of all Henne will be MUCH better than Orton, in short order. And now we can actually start the guy confidently week in/week out like I did before McDaniels came along.
I don't really understand the unbridled enthusiasm for Henne a lot of folks seem to have. Sure, he seems like a decent prospect, but he certainly hasn't been "lights out".He was 24th in the league in YPA, 22nd in QB rating, 22nd in yards per game.He had more ints than TDs, and won about half of his games.Orton was far better in every measurable category. Team/situation has a lot to do with that, but I just don't think I'd be jumping for joy about replacing Kyle Orton with Henne at this point.
Henne is a better qb than orton, from Marshall's perspective. He has all the tools. Just less experience. Plus he actually throws down field.

Reaper

Footballguy
2 2nds? Thats it?
:popcorn:
I'm happy we got him but I feel Denver got a pretty fair deal considering what other troubled WRs are fetching right now.
People are saying that the 2nd round in this upcoming draft has 1st round talent.... I STILL think it's great deal for Miami....

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins will send Denver a second-round pick in 2010 and another pick, believed to be their second-rounder in 2011. With money factored in, second-round picks are gold.

Miami has to pay a decent price to get him (both in salary to him and picks to Denver) but it COULD be an incredible lift for their offense. Adding one top notch WR will make everyone better, i.e., Ted Ginn should be a fine WR2, Camarillo/Bess great as WRs 3 and 4, and all this from a team that can be committed to ball control, running, and the wildcat. I guess what I'm trying to say is that adding a guy like Marshall should help improve this offense more than it would improve the offense in Dallas, Seattle, etc.
more importantly they do to.

Lord of the Rings

Footballguy
Great trade for both sides.Miami got their WR without having to use a 1st.Denver got 2 2nds for a guy they simply could not keep.Now it is in Parcells' hands to keep this guy's head in the right place. I'm hoping the contract extension has some language to that effect in it.
:confused: I am truly stoked about this deal. They get their receiver and can now go after more defensive help in the 1st round. Plus, it sounds like they're ready to wheel and deal for more picks throughout the draft. Exciting times.

Craig_MiamiFL

Footballguy
Best case scenario of the other mentioned destinations.

Great offseason for Marshall and Boldin owners. (Turned out a lot better than I thought it would)

Routilla

Footballguy
Assuming DEN can replace BM's production while not missing on the draft picks I think DEN comes out OK. The problem is stud WRs don't grow on trees and there is no certainty that the guys they pick will be starters. I think MIA wins in this one with Parcels being a guy who can get the best out of BM who is a known quantity, whereas the draft picks are far from known.

menobrown

Footballguy
Got to wonder if the Jets big off season and the Pats about to load up in the draft did not force Parcells to have to be more aggressive this off season to keep up.

I thought it was a good trade for both sides. Only concern/question I would have for the Dolphins is can Marshall stay out of trouble in Miami?

Native

Footballguy
Great trade for both sides.Miami got their WR without having to use a 1st.Denver got 2 2nds for a guy they simply could not keep.Now it is in Parcells' hands to keep this guy's head in the right place. I'm hoping the contract extension has some language to that effect in it.
:goodposting: I am truly stoked about this deal. They get their receiver and can now go after more defensive help in the 1st round. Plus, it sounds like they're ready to wheel and deal for more picks throughout the draft. Exciting times.
WOOOOOOOHHOOOOO!!Great deal for Miami. Didnt have to give up a first for one of the elite WR's in the game. This will help Henne tremendously. Now we can focus on defense in the draft.

:goodposting: The situations are not even close to the same.
What?Very talented WRs traded because of character issues. (Marshall is one screw-up away for a year-long suspension).Steelers got peanuts. Broncos got something value.Looks to me like the biggest difference was the Steelers held on a year too long and panicked over Ben's issues.Yet, many consider the Steelers move a sign of them just being a responsible, smart organization and people see the Broncos move as the sign that McD is an ongoing trainwreck? Maybe the Broncos were just more proactive here, than the Steelers were, trading Marshall while he still had some value before he blew up in their face (and they could only get a 5th round pick for him).I don't love either move, but the Broncos' is somewhat defensible.
I disagree that he's "one screwup away for a year-long suspension. But I have to wonder, if he was having "trouble" clubbing in Denver, what the hell is he gonna do in south beach...possible :tfp:

i have BOTH Marshall and Royal on my dynasty team. Seems to bump up Royal's value a bit -- not sure about Marshall. Does it bump up Marshall's value at all?
You have got to be kidding. First of all Henne will be MUCH better than Orton, in short order. And now we can actually start the guy confidently week in/week out like I did before McDaniels came along.
I don't really understand the unbridled enthusiasm for Henne a lot of folks seem to have. Sure, he seems like a decent prospect, but he certainly hasn't been "lights out".He was 24th in the league in YPA, 22nd in QB rating, 22nd in yards per game.

He had more ints than TDs, and won about half of his games.

Orton was far better in every measurable category. Team/situation has a lot to do with that, but I just don't think I'd be jumping for joy about replacing Kyle Orton with Henne at this point.
Hmmm, I wonder why?But really Henne just has a high ceiling IMO. I also don't see Orton ever repeating that performance.

H.K.

Footballguy
Marshall and Hartline outside, Bess in the slot. Looking at maybe (wild ### guess) 90/40/50 for receptions.
Probably not a bad guess. Individual WR breakdown from 2009:Davone Bess - 76 recs for 758Brian Hartline - 31 recs for 506Ted Ginn - 38 recs for 454Greg Camarillo - 50 recs for 552Dolphin WR totals from last year:195 recepts2270 yards6 TD's (+ 1 Hartline rush TD)Assuming Ginn is out of the picture, your numbers are not a bad starting point....depending on how Henne evolves and how he works with Marshall, 90 recepts may be possible....we'll see.

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
more importantly they do to.
B rian Hartline is going to benefit huge from Marshall on the opposing side. Bess will slide into the slot where he belongs and I really see his production falling under the 40-50 reception mark, truly I do. Hartline was coming on at the ned of the year last year, I look for him to start opposite Marshall.

2 2nds? Thats it?
:goodposting:
I'm happy we got him but I feel Denver got a pretty fair deal considering what other troubled WRs are fetching right now.
People are saying that the 2nd round in this upcoming draft has 1st round talent.... I STILL think it's great deal for Miami....

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins will send Denver a second-round pick in 2010 and another pick, believed to be their second-rounder in 2011. With money factored in, second-round picks are gold.
is it me or do people say this every year.

The real loser here was Seattle. The whitehurst deal bites em in the ###.

bigmiiiiike

Footballguy
IF Denver takes Dez, then this trade is essentially Marshall and a first rounder for two 2nd rounders and Dez. Dez will be MUCH cheaper than Marshall, and while he's got character issues, IMO there's nothing that puts him on the level of BM, yet at least. Denver gets Dez for cheaper, longer term, and likely on better terms than BM, along with the 2nd rounders, it's a pretty good trade for them. Of course I thought they'd go QB with one of last year's first rounders after shipping out Cutler and they drafted RB and DE, so no lock that they'll go after Dez this year.

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Got to wonder if the Jets big off season and the Pats about to load up in the draft did not force Parcells to have to be more aggressive this off season to keep up.I thought it was a good trade for both sides. Only concern/question I would have for the Dolphins is can Marshall stay out of trouble in Miami?
Can anyone stay out of trouble in Miami, MOP included? It's a party zone form the Univ of Miami all the way over to the beach.

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
Boldin is good, but hes getting up in the years and has a history of injuries. Hes more of a stop gap.Holmes... you want a guy that is a puff away from a yr suspension? Marshall is entering his prime and he has baggage but its nothing compared to Holmes.

Mark Wimer

Let's stay on topic here, guys. This thread is about the trade to Miami and the FF implications. The tragic murder of Darrent Williams isn't even tangentially related. Please stop with the flame war or I'll have to suspend more posters than just KoolKat.

TIA

Craig_MiamiFL

Footballguy
Care to tell why here?I think it puts him a step closer to a WR3 role that he should be at. Marshall [a short route YAC receiver is going to take a sizable hit from Bess]. W/o question IMO, Bess's value took the largest hit.

Cassius

Footballguy
Lot of the mocks I saw had Miami either taking Dez or JPP. I'm guessing defense becomes a priority now or I like MOP's idea of them getting Spiller. Talk about acquiring some weapons.

Lot of the mocks I saw had Miami either taking Dez or JPP. I'm guessing defense becomes a priority now or I like MOP's idea of them getting Spiller. Talk about acquiring some weapons.
Miami has three-4 rbs they like and even though rasta and ronnie are aging, I think they need to go defense, OL. Rbs, especially in a parcells O, can be plugged in.

Boldin is good, but hes getting up in the years and has a history of injuries. Hes more of a stop gap.Holmes... you want a guy that is a puff away from a yr suspension? Marshall is entering his prime and he has baggage but its nothing compared to Holmes.
Also the "ego-baggage" that Marshall carries, vs the off the field baggage of Holmes etc, is the kind that Parcells has shown he can deal with over the years.

twistd

Footballguy
Yet, many consider the Steelers move a sign of them just being a responsible, smart organization and people see the Broncos move as the sign that McD is an ongoing trainwreck?
:thumbup: It just speaks to the McDaniels hate, which is hard to explain since most homers (at least the one's I see on a daily basis, which is quite a few) have moved on, and are now behind him. People on this board hate McDaniels with a passion, and would find fault in anything he does. Fans of other teams seem to hate McDaniels much more than Broncos fans, it is kind of ironic.
I think what I dislike is arrogance. McDaniels has displayed an immense amount of arrogance. McDaniels has acted like he is smarter than everyone else. Parcells is arrogant at times, but he earned it. Belichick is arrogant at times, but he too, has earned it. McDaniels has done nothing to justify that behavior. He came in and alienated the two best players on the team. Now both of those players are gone. He seems to think that system triumphs over players. I think Tom Brady running any system will work. I think that Brandon Marshall makes any system better. So now we will see if McDaniels can make things work with the players he has drafted. :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread