What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking down the Broncos' RBBC (1 Viewer)

Will Torain get 5 plays at a time too when he returns?
Good question. I wonder if people think Torain is still worth stashing away at this point. The Broncos system, while not very fantasy-friendly, appears to be working.
I think the running game for the Broncos at least for this year is not what you want. It really doesn't matter who they have running the ball this year. They are going to be golden in the passing dept & you want Cutler & Marshall this year & not any of the RB's.. save for Pittman I guess in TD only leagues..

I wouldn't sleep on Torain. The Broncos were very excited about him in camp, and most feel he would have been starting by the start of the regular season if he hadn't been injured. Scooping up Torain during the Broncos week eight bye is the shark move. Maybe even week seven if you're a paranoid shark.

As undesirable as the situation has been, they are one injury away from someone breaking out. If one of the trio goes down, you would have to assume the workload increases for the other two.

As undesirable as the situation has been, they are one injury away from someone breaking out. If one of the trio goes down, you would have to assume the workload increases for the other two.
Maybe. But my guess would be more passes for Cutler. This is a passing offense right now. The running game is an afterthought.

I wouldn't sleep on Torain. The Broncos were very excited about him in camp, and most feel he would have been starting by the start of the regular season if he hadn't been injured. Scooping up Torain during the Broncos week eight bye is the shark move. Maybe even week seven if you're a paranoid shark.
Torain is basically the same size as Pittman, so I don't see Pittman's role as the GL back changing (sort of if it ain't broke, don't fix it philosophy). Torain is more of a threat to cut into Young and Hall's carries.

LOL, I must be beyond paranoid since I picked him up last week.

Maybe. But my guess would be more passes for Cutler. This is a passing offense right now. The running game is an afterthought.
:lmao: I agree 100%.. I really wanted Cutler this year but wasn't able to get him in either one of my leagues. He really looks poised to be huge this year..

Torain is basically the same size as Pittman, so I don't see Pittman's role as the GL back changing (sort of if it ain't broke, don't fix it philosophy). Torain is more of a threat to cut into Young and Hall's carries.
I agree, although I have a caveat: I believe Shanahan wants Torain to eventually be their every down back. That may mean later this season, or next. And who even knows if he'll be able to hack it?

Reminds me of my junior high basketball team. 5 guys in the 1st quarter, 5 different guys in the 2nd quarter, 5 different guys in the 3rd quarter. You never wanted to be part of that 3rd quarter team because it meant that you sucked. :kicksrock:

why does everyone always think they know what shannahan is thinking?... myself included? i have selvin young on 3 of my teams. tough to drop him because he gets great yards per touch, but he won't see my starting lineup unless one of his running mates gets injured.

shannahan loves torrain?

i'll believe it when i see it.

why does everyone always think they know what shannahan is thinking?... myself included? i have selvin young on 3 of my teams. tough to drop him because he gets great yards per touch, but he won't see my starting lineup unless one of his running mates gets injured.
same thing with me and pittman. pittman has helped to make lendale white expendable for me, and pittman hasn't disappointed with his TD's, but i doubt i would ever start pittman unless in an injury or bye week squeeze.

Right now you can't start any of them because Pittman is getting the goaline carries. None of them are really involved in the passing game, so you can't bump them in a PPR situation.

Pittman could end up with 12-15 Td's this season if he stays healthy.

I had Selvin Young in week 1 and needed 8 points from him and got 9. I was lucky as all get out he ran in a 5 yeard TD or something like that in the 2nd half of the game because we know what would have happened if he would have gotten tackled at the 1 or 2 yard line.

If you're starting any of them, you know you're climbing an uphill battle phasing your opponent that week as more than likely, all 3 fo them will get you know more than 10 points each which really doesn't cut it.

A couple of things...

First, none of their current backs seem to be sustaining runners. If so, and if the Broncos defense continues to be a leaky sieve, Shanahan may decide to use the running game (Torain) to keep his defesne off the field. Secondly, the colder the weather gets in Denver the more they're going to have to lean on their ground game.

But the bottom line to me is, when Shanahan decided not to IR Torain, it meant that he must have a plan for him. Otherwise he'd want the roster space. So if Shanny still has ideas for him this year, I'll keep the lamp lit in the window for him.

I've always thought that Hall would run away with it. I admit that I'm starting to doubt that by now, but a couple of big runs from he or Young could lead to a more prominent role. I expect one of them to lead to many of us scampering to the waiver wire for him. Weather or not it is something built upon thereafter will be another story, but with teams gearing for the pass, there will be some opportunities for a runner to put up some stats. I think the approach right now is to still hold on to your Denver rb's for the time being.

I agree they're more of a passing team now (2nd in passing ypg, 2nd in passing TDs), but I wouldn't quite call the running game an afterthought when they're currently 10th in the NFL in rushing ypg, and tied for 3rd in rushing TDs. Overall, Denver is the 2nd best offense in yards, and 1st in scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought into the theory that Shanahan is waiting for Torain to be the every down back. By mixing Young, Hall, and Pittman into the game Shanahan is depriving any of them the opportunity to thrive and stand out from the pack, which will make it a smooth transition to Torain. In other words, lets say for example that Shanahan gave Hall 20-25 carries a game right now. There is no doubt he would get 100 yards per game and put up great stats (because any RB can run behind that line). But if Shanahan did that then how would he justify switching to Torain in week 8 or 9? Shanahan has already chosen Torain to be his full time RB and all the rat is doing is preventing any conflict for when he finally becomes healthy and ready to play.

I have bought into the theory that Shanahan is waiting for Torain to be the every down back. By mixing Young, Hall, and Pittman into the game Shanahan is depriving any of them the opportunity to thrive and stand out from the pack, which will make it a smooth transition to Torain. In other words, lets say for example that Shanahan gave Hall 20-25 carries a game right now. There is no doubt he would get 100 yards per game and put up great stats (because any RB can run behind that line). But if Shanahan did that then how would he justify switching to Torain in week 8 or 9? Shanahan has already chosen Torain to be his full time RB and all the rat is doing is preventing any conflict for when he finally becomes healthy and ready to play.
Sounds rather sneaky & conspiratorial to me....yep, very plausible given it's the Rat we're talking about. Wish I had the roster space to pick him up now (not willing to drop someone like Hightower)

An injury to either Young or Hall makes the other one suddenly very attractive. I also think that while teams love to pass the ball in September, by the time it gets real cold and snowy later in the year, running becomes a much more attractive option.

Do you really think when Torain comes back he'll get the ball 25 time a game?? No. Like the other poster said this is a passing team now.

Users who are viewing this thread