What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brees to Green Bay if Favre does not return? (1 Viewer)

Kleck.

Footballguy
Rodgers might not be the answer

Aaron Rodgers, QB GB

News: The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Green Bay Packers are interested in Drew Brees. It appears new head coach Mike McCarthy isn't sold on Aaron Rodgers as the heir apparent to Brett Favre.

Analysis: Favre still hasn't decided whether or not he will return to the team next season, but the fact that the Packers are interested in another franchise quarterback is bad news for Rodgers.

Packers want a cool Brees

Drew Brees, QB SD

News: The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Green Bay Packers are interested in Drew Brees. It appears new head coach Mike McCarthy isn't sold on Aaron Rodgers as the heir apparent to Brett Favre.

Analysis: At this point is appears the Packers and Miami Dolphins are the top two suitors for Brees, though the Detroit Lions and N.Y. Jets might also be in the mix.
If Favre does retire I'd figure they would bring in a FA QB anyway since all I ever hear is that Rodgers is not ready. Haven't seen anything WI local about this though. Please delete if Honda.

Unless they are going to abandon Rodgers for good, there is no point in getting Brees long term.
Was thinking the same thing. If Green Bay does have interest in Brees, would Brees even consider signing a short-term contract? I'm not thinking so, unless every other interested team is worried about the shoulder and not willing to go long-term.

I heard this yesterday on Madison sports radio. I guess the Packers have contacted his agent, or so I hear. I think Brees would be a good fit.
:thumbup: Was it Jim Caston/The Bull Pen? I usually listen to him on my ride home but I was cravin' for some Tom Petty so I had the MP3 player going instead.

If Green Bay does have interest in Brees, would Brees even consider signing a short-term contract? I'm not thinking so, unless every other interested team is worried about the shoulder and not willing to go long-term.
Maurile had this to say recently in another Brees thread..."Brees was also on a local sports radio show this morning:

http://rapidshare.de/files/14509375/1.wmv.html

He says he'd accept a one-year deal with the Chargers. They haven't given him a number yet that he thinks is fair, but he's willing to listen to any additional offers they make. He says any deal he does will probably have only one year guaranteed because teams will want to make sure he's fully recovered before committing themsleves beyond that."

... and he follows that situation closer than most.

No state income tax in Florida is a huge advantage for the Dolphins over the Pack here. The weather is a plus too.

Yeah Drew going from the beautiful San Diego to the coldest place on the planet. I highly doubt it.
another thing I forgot to mention is the fact that the Green Bay Packers SUCK!!! Why would he want to go to the Packers?1. crappy weather

2. they suck

3. he could go the a team like the Dolphins where the weather maybe dreadfully hot but atleast you have half naked women walking around.

4. Green Bay already has there future QB

stupid idea IMO

Yeah Drew going from the beautiful San Diego to the coldest place on the planet.  I highly doubt it.
another thing I forgot to mention is the fact that the Green Bay Packers SUCK!!! Why would he want to go to the Packers?1. crappy weather

2. they suck

3. he could go the a team like the Dolphins where the weather maybe dreadfully hot but atleast you have half naked women walking around.

4. Green Bay already has there future QB

stupid idea IMO
Let me guess....FFToday refugee. :yucky:

Yeah Drew going from the beautiful San Diego to the coldest place on the planet. I highly doubt it.
:rolleyes:
I think this post has more merit than you give it credit.After watching quite a bit of Drew Brees I come away with the impression he's a better warm weather QB than a cold weather QB. He's most certainly a finesse passer that doesn't have a canon for an arm so the weather could effect him a great deal. On top of that, in MIA he'd be asked to be a complimentary component of the team as opposed to GB where he'd be asked to carry the franchise(unless you think A.Green still has much left in the tank... I used to think so but not as much anymore).

IMO MIA is a much better fit for Brees.

Yeah Drew going from the beautiful San Diego to the coldest place on the planet.  I highly doubt it.
I think this post has more merit than you give it credit.After watching quite a bit of Drew Brees I come away with the impression he's a better warm weather QB than a cold weather QB. He's most certainly a finesse passer that doesn't have a canon for an arm so the weather could effect him a great deal. On top of that, in MIA he'd be asked to be a complimentary component of the team as opposed to GB where he'd be asked to carry the franchise(unless you think A.Green still has much left in the tank... I used to think so but not as much anymore).

Oh really? His comment was Brees wouldn't go to GB because of the weather. Comments like that are absurd. By the way, where did Brees play college ball? Hint, it wasn't in the south.

Oh really? His comment was Brees wouldn't go to GB because of the weather. Comments like that are absurd. By the way, where did Brees play college ball? Hint, it wasn't in the south.
I think the Dolphins is a better fit but not for the weather reason. The GB receivers are used to a QB with a strong arm and Brees, even pre-injury, couldn't make the throws Favre does. In Miami he'll be throwing to WR's who are used to QB's without great arms and won't be as frustrated by his inability to fire the ball downfield. The Dolphins also have a better running game and there will be less pressure on the QB to make throws than in GB.

I think the Dolphins is a better fit but not for the weather reason. The GB receivers are used to a QB with a strong arm and Brees, even pre-injury, couldn't make the throws Favre does. In Miami he'll be throwing to WR's who are used to QB's without great arms and won't be as frustrated by his inability to fire the ball downfield. The Dolphins also have a better running game and there will be less pressure on the QB to make throws than in GB.
That is a good point but I don't think he will go to the Dolphins because he doesn't like the color of their uniforms. ;)

If Green Bay does have interest in Brees, would Brees even consider signing a short-term contract?  I'm not thinking so, unless every other interested team is worried about the shoulder and not willing to go long-term.
Maurile had this to say recently in another Brees thread..."Brees was also on a local sports radio show this morning:

He says he'd accept a one-year deal with the Chargers. They haven't given him a number yet that he thinks is fair, but he's willing to listen to any additional offers they make. He says any deal he does will probably have only one year guaranteed because teams will want to make sure he's fully recovered before committing themsleves beyond that."

I didn't see that one. Thanks.

I heard this yesterday on Madison sports radio. I guess the Packers have contacted his agent, or so I hear. I think Brees would be a good fit.
:thumbup: Was it Jim Caston/The Bull Pen? I usually listen to him on my ride home but I was cravin' for some Tom Petty so I had the MP3 player going instead.
Yes. :thumbup:

If Green Bay does have interest in Brees, would Brees even consider signing a short-term contract?  I'm not thinking so, unless every other interested team is worried about the shoulder and not willing to go long-term.

I didn't see that one. Thanks.
I could be wrong but I was always under the impression, that Brees would sign a one year deal to stay with the Chargers, but wanted a long-term deal if he went to another team.

I think the Dolphins is a better fit but not for the weather reason. The GB receivers are used to a QB with a strong arm and Brees, even pre-injury, couldn't make the throws Favre does.
Interesting, but I don't think I could find but a handful of NFL QBs that can make the throws Favre does. Guys with arms like that don't just fall from the sky. Aaron Rodgers and Craig Nall don't have that arm either, and I would venture to guess that Leinert, Cutler and Young don't. If he can make the throws the west coast offense needs, I don't see a reason why it would matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not far fetched - i remember hearing about Brees as a possible successor to Favre a lot last Spring before the Pack took Rodgers.

According to Yao Ming and other Favre bashers, Brett can no longer make any decent throws, so shouldn't Brees be an upgrade and make the Packer WR's even more happy? ;)

Not far fetched - i remember hearing about Brees as a possible successor to Favre a lot last Spring before the Pack took Rodgers.
Yes, there were rumors both last year and the year before that the Packers had inquired with the Chargers about trading for Brees. I don't know how much truth there was to those rumors, but this latest rumor doesn't come totally out of left field.

No state income tax in Florida is a huge advantage for the Dolphins over the Pack here.  The weather is a plus too.
Considering that players get paid in as many as 12 different states each season, I doubt that this is a minor consideration when doing contracts. :confused: If a player plays a road game the earnings for that week are in the state the game was held in. :wall:

Doesn't matter anyway, Brees will never be a Packer. :rolleyes: This is just a bluff by the Packers to get Favre to make his announcement sooner so they can finish up their draft prep.

Considering that players get paid in as many as 12 different states each season, I doubt that this is a minor consideration when doing contracts. :confused:

If a player plays a road game the earnings for that week are in the state the game was held in. :wall:
Players get their game checks on Mondays. Also, for many players, the major part of their income comes from the signing bonus or other bonuses.

Considering that players get paid in as many as 12 different states each season, I doubt that this is a minor consideration when doing contracts. :confused:

If a player plays a road game the earnings for that week are in the state the game was held in. :wall:
Players get their game checks on Mondays. Also, for many players, the major part of their income comes from the signing bonus or other bonuses.
Yes, but the state taxes, if any, are taken out for the state the income was earned in.

No, no, NO! I want the Phins to get him.... and go through what the Jets have endured with Pennington!

Yes, but the state taxes, if any, are taken out for the state the income was earned in.
When I go on a business trip to take a deposition in Arizona, I don't pay Arizona state income tax on any portion of my salary.

When I go on a business trip to take a deposition in Arizona, I don't pay Arizona state income tax on any portion of my salary.
So what! Just because you don't report your earnings in Arizona doesn't mean that your income wasn't earned in Arizona. How does your statement even relate?

So what! Just because you don't report your earnings in Arizona doesn't mean that your income wasn't earned in Arizona. How does your statement even relate?
It doesn't matter where you "earn" your income, it matters where your residence is. You pay state income taxes to the state in which you reside. Just because work is performed in a different state does not mean it is earned in that state. I don't know the tax laws for each state, and some might require a return for nonresidents if income taxes were taken out for that particular state. In Tremblay's case, Arizona state income taxes were not withheld from his salary and therefor he is not required to claim Arizona income, since technically, it was not Arizona income.

Payroll is not my area of accounting, but I do know that every place I have worked has only taken out state income taxes for the sate in which that employee resides. I have also had a few different jobs in which I worked in different states than my resident state, and sometimes performed all of my work out of state. Never did I, or should I have had, income taxes withheld for the nonresdient state I worked in. It would require way too much work and far too many copies of W-2's if people needed to claim income for each state they did business in or worked in. It would be damn near imposible to track accurately.

Never happen. How Stupid would Ted Thompson look getting another qb on a long term deal which is what Brees wants after drafting a qb in the 1st the year before. That would scream Bust!!

I didnt say that Drew wouldnt go to Green Bay just because of the weather I also said he wouldnt go because the Packers "SUCK" and also because they just drafted their future QB last year.

Was it a college where the CB's and S's were as fast as they are in the NFL? I need more info.

It doesn't make much sense for the Pack to go after Brees, who will likely be one of the high-priced free-agent QBs, unless they've given up on Rodgers after 16 pass attempts. The Pack is not going to the playoffs in 2006 with Brees at QB, so they might as well pick up a cheap free agent (like Frerotte) and throw Rodgers to the wolves, if Favre retires.

I didnt say that Drew wouldnt go to Green Bay just because of the weather I also said he wouldnt go because the Packers "SUCK" and also because they just drafted their future QB last year.
Please ignore FlaVVed. He prefers to hurl insults and belittle posters rather than contribute anyting with substance.

Was it a college where the CB's and S's were as fast as they are in the NFL? I need more info.
Let's just say he played in the Big 10 so the competion was there. He put up great numbers and besides that, the same could be said for any player to ever come out of college. The point was he played great at Purdue and has played in the cold weather during his college career so that should not be an issue.

I don't think this will happen.

Favre has said he is waiting until after the draft before he makes his decision.

Green Bay won't go after Brees if Favre is still there.

Brees will be signed long before the draft.

Therefore, Green Bay will not sign Brees.

It doesn't matter where you "earn" your income, it matters where your residence is. You pay state income taxes to the state in which you reside. Just because work is performed in a different state does not mean it is earned in that state.

I don't know the tax laws for each state, and some might require a return for nonresidents if income taxes were taken out for that particular state. In Tremblay's case, Arizona state income taxes were not withheld from his salary and therefor he is not required to claim Arizona income, since technically, it was not Arizona income.

Payroll is not my area of accounting, but I do know that every place I have worked has only taken out state income taxes for the sate in which that employee resides. I have also had a few different jobs in which I worked in different states than my resident state, and sometimes performed all of my work out of state. Never did I, or should I have had, income taxes withheld for the nonresdient state I worked in. It would require way too much work and far too many copies of W-2's if people needed to claim income for each state they did business in or worked in. It would be damn near imposible to track accurately.
You'd better consult a tax accountant Kleck. If you perform a certain % of your work in another state (other than your state of residence), you DO have to file a tax return there. Obviously there are administrative problems with tracking this -- but that doesn't matter. Yes, it's hard for the govt. to audit, but it's still the law.I'm a consultant who works out of state much of the time. My company's time-tracking system has us enter info on hours per state each week. And my wife is an accountant who used to work in 3 states (NJ, NY, CT). She had to file in all 3 states.

Most companies do not properly handle multi-state reporting. The Fed doesn't care -- they just want you to pay federal taxes. And most state tax return auditors have limited resources, and no way to verify where you've worked during the year.

So in summary, you're supposed to file in multiple states if you work (a significant amount of time) in multiple states. But if you only file in your state of residence, you're almost always safe.

It doesn't matter where you "earn" your income, it matters where your residence is. You pay state income taxes to the state in which you reside. Just because work is performed in a different state does not mean it is earned in that state.

I don't know the tax laws for each state, and some might require a return for nonresidents if income taxes were taken out for that particular state. In Tremblay's case, Arizona state income taxes were not withheld from his salary and therefor he is not required to claim Arizona income, since technically, it was not Arizona income.

Sorry to hijack a football thread to discuss tax accounting, but you are incorrect. Every state (or virtually every state since I know of no exceptions) has what is called a nonresident return. Nonresident returns are to be filed when you earn income in a state that is not your resident state, regardless of whether or where withholding taxes are remitted to. Technically, if Tremblay earned part of his income by working in another state (for even one day), he should file a nonresident return. Now, it's unlikely that would be significant, so no one will focus on him. Professional athletes on the other hand...I read a while ago that during one states fiscal crunch, that state intended to go after every professional baseball player that had played a game in that state for a portion of their payroll that was technically "earned" while playing a game.

Again, the fact that many, such as Tremblay or you don't technically follow the law, doesn't mean the law doesn't exist.

I'm not so sure it couldn't happen. Whether it will is another question. But IF Favre really is retiring, his $8 million salary (or whatever it is) is off the books. Technically GB could easily afford a nice one-year deal if that's what Brees is really after. And it's not like they don't have a lot of salary cap room to add other free agents to fill in other gaps. It would also give them a chance to evaluate both Brees and Rodgers to see who they would consider the long-term answer.

Please ignore FlaVVed. He prefers to hurl insults and belittle posters rather than contribute anyting with substance.
His first post was that Brees wouldn't go to GB because of the weather. I have noproblem calling out an absurd comment like that.

If you don't like it then deal with it. Comments like that deserve to be belittled.

Check your first post....all it stated was Brees wouldn't go the GB because of the weather. But then you added the gems of the Packers "SUCK" and they have their future QB. Two more points that show you have no idea what you are talking about.

The Packers have reason to think they can improve in 2006 and the team is not convinced that Rodgers is their future QB. They have made it very known that if Favre doesn't return they plan to add a veteran QB to start in 2006 because they know that Rodgers isn't close to being ready. The Packers, its history, and the organization do interest potential free agents. You are insulting NFL players by indicating their thought process goes like this.......

"I'm not going to play in GB because they suck and it's cold there". I'm sure glad Reggie White was smarter than that.

I think Brees is probably looking for a 1 year deal to prove he's healthy and prove he's worthly of a multi-year, high bonus contract. There is no better way to do that than in San Diego, where he knows the sytem, the team, the coach. We've seen healthy, capable starters experience a drop off when moving into a new system; moving to a new system would hurt Drew's numbers, even if he weren't injured.

I'd think Brees accepts a $3MM/1 year offer from San Diego before he accepts a $4-5MM/1 year offer from anyone else. The real question is whether anyone offers him an undermarket multi-year deal and how he evaluates that against a 1 year deal.

Sorry to hijack a football thread to discuss tax accounting, but you are incorrect. Every state (or virtually every state since I know of no exceptions) has what is called a nonresident return. Nonresident returns are to be filed when you earn income in a state that is not your resident state, regardless of whether or where withholding taxes are remitted to. Technically, if Tremblay earned part of his income by working in another state (for even one day), he should file a nonresident return. Now, it's unlikely that would be significant, so no one will focus on him. Professional athletes on the other hand...I read a while ago that during one states fiscal crunch, that state intended to go after every professional baseball player that had played a game in that state for a portion of their payroll that was technically "earned" while playing a game.

Again, the fact that many, such as Tremblay or you don't technically follow the law, doesn't mean the law doesn't exist.
In my case Velcro, I do follow the law and know what filing requirements exist for those states I worked in. I am not, nor ever had been, required to file nonresident income taxes with those states according to their nonresident filing requirement tax laws. As for the employees at my current company, the same goes for them. I actually spoke with our payroll accountant this morning on this and she had told me that none are required to file nonresident income taxes because they do not meet the requirements for the states they temporaily visit.

Thanks MJF and Velcro for the clarification of other states. I obviously do not know every states' income tax laws and never looked into the states that did not pertain to my situation. :thumbup:

So let me see if I have this straight: Thompson uses his first-round pick last season on the apparent QB of the future despite the team having massive defensive issues and one year later he hires a head coach who apparently isn't sold on the apparent QB of the future so the team is reportedly interested in paying big bucks to sign another young QB.

Good to see the GM and head coach are on the same page here. One would think Thompson would've spent some time with McCarthy discussing the rather significant issue of Aaron Rodgers' potential as a QB before hiring him.

I did not criticize Thompson for the Rodgers pick because I think he took the best player available when no standout defensive player was on the board who could've filled a need. However, if the Packers do sign Brees Thompson will be blasted for wasting such a valuable pick on a player who after only one season apparently isn't good enough or deemed good enough by the new head coach.

Nice.

Another thing to think about, McCarthy probably played a significant role in choosing Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

Another thing to think about, McCarthy probably played a significant role in choosing Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.
Actually you're wrong. McCarthy wanted Rodgers but Nolan wanted Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread