What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Westbrook v2009 (1 Viewer)

Ash

Footballguy
He'll have his 30th birthday as the season opens , his yards/carry and yards/catch have both slid from 2006 highs the last two seasons. He's been injured and not terribly effective the last half season or so. I'm an Eagles fan and I think he'll play another couple of years maybe, but I think we've seen his last great season.

Thoughts? What do the Birds do from here?

The Eagles would be well-served with a high RB pick this year. Westbrook still has another year or two of productivity, but his days as a 25 touch bellcow RB are (or will be soon) over.

Philly has two picks in the first round this year.......

ETA: Buckhalter is nice depth, but clearly not the answer at his age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Buck is actually older than Westy. Just doesn't seem like it because he was on IR for at least two seasons in their entirety.

It would behoove the Eagles to use Westy like the Titans use Chris Johnson. They just don't have a Lendale on their roster at the moment.

If they take an RB on the first day, that's a sign that they don't expect Westy to be the "bellcow" anymore. If they don't, he'll continue to get the lion's share of RB touches, and the dings that come with it.

Although Westbrook's effectiveness fell in the latter part of the season, I don't see this as suggestive of a decline on his part. I can't remember him being hit in the backfield so much as he did this year. The line was missing perhaps their best starter in Shawn Andrews all year, while Jon Runyan has been nicked up for a while and Thomas is aging. The Eagles have made a habit of making high draft picks in the trenches, so we'll see what the 2009 draft holds for them. Is a first day pick at OL in store?

As for playmakers around Westbrook, for most of the year there's been little to scare opposing defensive coordinators. Preseason starters Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown played only 1/2 a season between them, and weren't that dominant to start with. McNabb had a very shaky middle part of the season, while Westbrook was nicked up much of the year. And despite these roadblocks, Westbrook still managed to put in top 10 stats in both my PPR and 1/2 PPR leagues.

Their biggest receiving threat outside Westbrook is DeShaun Jackson, who should improve on his impressive rookie year, while Brent Celek has nice upside, while the return of a healthy Andrews should work wonders for the running game. I think next year is looking good for Westbrook. With the failed Lorenzo Booker experiment and Buckhalter no spring chicken himself, I'd expect the Eagles to burn a 2nd to 4th round pick on a tailback if they don't find someone in free agency. But I see this as posing little threat to Westbrook for '09. I'd guess that his touches may decrease next year, but improvements on offense around Westbrook should lead to more scoring opportunities. My 2c.

He'll have his 30th birthday as the season opens , his yards/carry and yards/catch have both slid from 2006 highs the last two seasons. He's been injured and not terribly effective the last half season or so. I'm an Eagles fan and I think he'll play another couple of years maybe, but I think we've seen his last great season.

was this really a 'great' season from Westbrook? :goodposting:

was this really a 'great' season from Westbrook? :goodposting:
Didn't mean this season was a great one, just don't think we'll see a return to 2006/7 form from him, much as I'd like to see it.

was this really a 'great' season from Westbrook? :thumbup:
Westy averaged 19 points in a .5 reception league and finished No. 7 among RBs. He missed two games and a good chunk of a third. I understand injuries come with the territory for Westbrook but if you give him the 38 points for the 2 games he missed, he finishes as the No. 2 RB.So while No. 7 might not be great...

The kind of injuries he's had this season are the kind that time and rest take care of...exactly what the offseason should bring. Had he blown out an ACL or seriously torn something, I'd be more leery of his next season.

That said, there'd be nothing wrong with Philly taking the heir apparent early in this draft. A talented rookie to take some of the hits while learning from the master isn't a bad way to prepare for 2010 and beyond.

Westy still has some tread left on the tires. What we are seeing is probably the age effect of taking more time to heal than you used to. You have to take him next year knowing that his dings are going to cost you more time than they used to. If you prepare accordingly, you can still get your value from him. It's actually possible Westy could go into the 2009 drafts undervalued.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Westbrook owner for the past two years, I'm not sure where to rank him for next year.. After the mini resurgence towards the end of the year in his stats, he fell back to avg the past few games. It almost seemed like Buckhalter was the better rusher at times.. I don't know if Westbrook is having trouble cutting again, but on a couple of plays yesterday- it seemed that as he got past the d-line he could cut it outside and have a big gain- but instead just kept going straight and got tackled. Maybe he didn't see the hole, but it seemed like the type of runs Westbrook used to turn into big gainers.. Also, the Eagles used him less in the receiving game...why did that happen?

Maybe its a combo if him being nicked up which rest will fix,and the oline.. but he hasn't seemed like he was as dominant in the past in all phases of his game.

Westy still has some tread left on the tires. What we are seeing is probably the age effect of taking more time to heal than you used to. You have to take him next year knowing that his dings are going to cost you more time than they used to. If you prepare accordingly, you can still get your value from him. It's actually possible Westy could go into the 2009 drafts undervalued.
Yeah, it feels like 2 years ago when some people backed off from him in the first round. If you take him with the expectation that he'll miss 1-3 games he could be very valuable (if you think he'll miss more than that you probably wouldn't draft him). There aren't many guys who are always a run/catch threat (i.e. can still put up FF points while his team is getting blown out).

Users who are viewing this thread