What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos promote Tavarres King from Practice Squad (1 Viewer)

Second Sight

Footballguy
Per Mike Klis on Twitter and reported by Rotoworld.

The Green Bay Packers were apparently attempting to sign him.

This is an interesting action because it seems to suggest that:

A)The Broncos value King enough to prevent the Packers from obtaining him and

B)The Packers perhaps don't like what they have in their system very much.

Dynasty doers take note on both accounts.§

There has been speculation that he would take Decker's place next season (Denver is going to have trouble signing free agents). It's a move to protect him for next year.

He was out of Georgia

Especially compelling in that, with Elvis Dumervil due to take up a roster spot, Denver will have to make two roster cuts to make room for Dumervil and King now.

He was out of Georgia

Especially compelling in that, with Elvis Dumervil due to take up a roster spot, Denver will have to make two roster cuts to make room for Dumervil and King now.
Do you mean Von Miller?§

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been speculation that he would take Decker's place next season (Denver is going to have trouble signing free agents). It's a move to protect him for next year.
Yes, but don't lose sight that the Green Bay Packers chose to pursue him over anything they had internally. Given the Packers recent knack of identifying good WR talents that are productive in a vertical system, it tells us something about King and the Packers.§

Yes, but don't lose sight that the Green Bay Packers chose to pursue him over anything they had internally. Given the Packers recent knack of identifying good WR talents that are productive in a vertical system, it tells us something about King and the Packers.§
Not surprising, with Charles Johnson getting stolen from their PS just the other day.

This guy doesn't deserved his own thread yet, not for dynasty or anything else... Lets say he climbs the ladder and gets some solid playing time by 2015. He gets one good year of Peyton and then who know knows. If you're in a dynasty league and pick him up, as of this moment you are just throwing darts at a board.

Not surprising, with Charles Johnson getting stolen from their PS just the other day.
Do you know who else, if anyone, the Packers currently have on their practice squad at the position?§

This guy doesn't deserved his own thread yet, not for dynasty or anything else... Lets say he climbs the ladder and gets some solid playing time by 2015. He gets one good year of Peyton and then who know knows. If you're in a dynasty league and pick him up, as of this moment you are just throwing darts at a board.
That may be entirely true and likely is.

However, given the situation, he is extremely unlikely to come off the active roster now and he is on the Broncos where everyone except Montee Ball has fantasy value and if there should be an injury at the position, he may find himself playing.

He was a surprise cut at the end of pre-season. He had shown some potential in camp.

If nothing else, as a fantasy owner in a dynasty league, this is what it is all about; churning that back end of a roster and picking up value for free. This is how owners get a Romo, a Foster, a Victor Cruz.§

Do you know who else, if anyone, the Packers currently have on their practice squad at the position?§
They recently brought back Dunn, rookie WR from Utah. I think Waldman liked him, other than his small size. As of early September they also had Myles White from Louisiana Tech. I don't know anything at all about him.

They could just be trying to pry a late round draft pick from the Packers.
Packers were going to take him so the Broncos had no choice but roster him. They will cut him after the Packer WR situation is resolved and bring him back to the PS. Nothing to see here.

Decker and Moreno are free agents after this season (although Denver has a 1-year club option on Moreno). Demaryius, Welker, and Julius are all free agents after 2014 (although it would take an Act of God to prevent Denver from re-signing Demaryius). There's about to be a lot of opportunity opening up in this Denver offense. I'd call King more of a calculated gamble than a dart at the board right now, especially in deeper dynasty leagues. He has very low odds, but a high potential payout. The fact that two high-quality franchises were fighting over his services cannot be construed as anything but a positive, no matter how minor.

Packers were going to take him so the Broncos had no choice but roster him. They will cut him after the Packer WR situation is resolved and bring him back to the PS. Nothing to see here.
If I understand the rules correctly, and I may not, they cannot do that. If they cut him he becomes a free agent, or so I thought.

If I understand the rules correctly, and I may not, they cannot do that. If they cut him he becomes a free agent, or so I thought.
True. He has to pass through the waiver process. If unclaimed, he becomes a free agent and can sign with any team or any practice squad.

He's a free agent when he's on the practice squad, too. No team showed any interest in him until Green Bay got in a receiver crunch, so once Green Bay resolves that receiver crunch, Denver might take the chance that no one is interested in him and try to slip him back onto the practice squad.

Of course, it depends on how Tavarres feels about the whole process, too. If Denver does that, and Tavarres doesn't much appreciate it, then maybe the next time another team comes sniffing around Tavarres doesn't offer Denver the chance to match.

Browns just discovered during his physical Charles Johnson has a torn ACL and will be put on the non-football Injury List. But he has to be on the 53-man roster for 3 games.

Rotoworld:

Broncos waived WR Tavarres King.
The moves clears a spot on the active roster for the return of Von Miller. A fifth-round pick, King was just promoted from the practice squad Tuesday and could draw some interest on waivers.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

The moves clears a spot on the active roster for the return of Von Miller. A fifth-round pick, King was just promoted from the practice squad Tuesday and could draw some interest on waivers.
Wow, kind of a c#%k block move by Denver. I know it's business but if I were tavarres King I don't think I would be letting the broncos match any more offers (unless he is getting some guaranteed money out of it or something). Kind of looks like they may have just cost king a job.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Wow, kind of a c#%k block move by Denver. I know it's business but if I were tavarres King I don't think I would be letting the broncos match any more offers (unless he is getting some guaranteed money out of it or something). Kind of looks like they may have just cost king a job.
:goodposting:

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

yep, I'd be looking for a new practice squad gig, no way I'd go back...

This happens every single week to PS players around the league. Its not an insult, underhanded, or anything of the sort. When you're on a PS, you know that you're living in the grey area between NFL player and street FA. And that you should be ready for the transition at any time, maybe multiple times per week.

The PS guys who make it in the league against all odds are the most impressive guys, to me. As people, anyways. To go through all of that uncertainty, adversity, be away from your family possibly taking a loss financially trying to get your shot and live your dream...

Its a tough road. This is not just something that Tavarres King goes through.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Agreed, although if Green Bay's still interested, they can always try to sign him again after this week's games.

Users who are viewing this thread