What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos Training Camp (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
Pony Boy posted a great article that Jeff Legwold did for the RMN. I went out to Dove Valley and picked up my media pass. Camp starts tomorrow and I am SO EXCITED!!!! Hands down my favorite time of year.I wanted to start a thread about what we here in the Shark Pool want to watch the most. Here's some of the things I'll be looking at closely.RB:Anderson is #1 on the depth chart, but for how long? Is Clarett going to contribute at all this year? Can Bell stay healthy and be a consistent and productive RB in the NFL?WR:Will Rice make the team? How will Watts progress in his second year? Triandos Luke had a great camp last year, but could barely get on the field during the season, will his progress continue?DL:Will all those Browns add up to success? LB:How will DJ Williams resond to his new assignment?ST:Will Darrent Williams become a force at KR/PR?my DAILY Broncos Training Camp Report will appear in the daily FBG's newsletter, and we will discuss it here in the Shark Pool as well.What are some camp battles you want the inside scoop on?

scan.jpg

CLatcamp.JPG

IM003518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pic Cecil.Looking forward to your reports on the Denver RB battle. I think that could be the most important training camp battle in the NFL, followed closely by the Chris Brown/Travis Henry battle.

Nice pic Cecil.
Thanks! I was a little disappointed they already had this printed out for me (using last years picture). Instead of waiting in a big line they had a table outside the media room with everyone's pass and media guide. I was all pimped out in a black polo this year and had a ton of gel in my hair. Oh well, maybe I can demand a new pic next year! :yes:

How prominent will Putzier be in the passing game?
Also, what will the role of the other TE's be? Understanding where hteir value lies could be a nice later round TE pick.As for Putzier, they talked about wanting to use him to stretch the field more. Keep an eye on how they accomlish this.

Courtney Brown and Trevor Pryce - who will be double teamed?Gerald Warren - a force or a fat slob?Nick Ferguson - up to it?

Do me a favor and pull a Tonya Harding on every Denver RB except Tatum Bell. I need a big year from him ;)
You want someone to make a sex tape with all the other DEN RBs and spread it all over the internet?Now that's an odd request...

im most interested to see if pryce truly regains his old form, or if the back injury really took away his edge, watts' progress, who emerges at backup QB, and how well nick ferguson is going to pan out at SS.the RB situation is given, watching a crazy denver RB situation shake out is becoming a fall tradition.

I'm headed out to camp now guys. I'll give you the scoop in the newsletter! Let's discuss developements here in the SP! :football:

Why doesn't anyone question whether Anderson can stay healthy? He is MUCH more injury prone than Bell and missed more time just last year.FWIW, I don't buy rating players based on injury. I think injuries are random and they all get injured at one point or another.Just curious as to why Bell is an injury risk but Anderson is not?

Okay, currently writing the morning practice recap based on my audio notes. This will appear in the FBG's daily newsletter, but here's a teaser....Ashley Lelie DOGGING it. I just did an Ashley Lelie Face Off (Low Side) so I was watching him quite closely this morning. He was dogging it after every play, walking back to the huddle, getting a drink after every route. Now I know it's the first practice of the year, but c'mon. Jerry Rice was phenomenal and went all out on everything. He's also rubbing off on Watts, who looked very determined today.More to come in the FBG's newsletter! :football:

Okay, currently writing the morning practice recap based on my audio notes. This will appear in the daily newsletter, but here's a teaser....

Ashley Lelie DOGGING it. I just did an Ashley Lelie Face Off (Low Side) so I was watching him quite closely this morning. He was dogging it after every play, walking back to the huddle, getting a drink after every route. Now I know it's the first practice of the year, but c'mon. Jerry Rice was phenomenal and went all out on everything. He's also rubbing off on Watts, who looked very determined today.

More to come in the newsletter!

:football:
thanks cecil!i was hoping watts would take advantage of having a living legend in practice with him.

Okay, currently writing the morning practice recap based on my audio notes. This will appear in the daily newsletter, but here's a teaser....

Ashley Lelie DOGGING it. I just did an Ashley Lelie Face Off (Low Side) so I was watching him quite closely this morning. He was dogging it after every play, walking back to the huddle, getting a drink after every route. Now I know it's the first practice of the year, but c'mon. Jerry Rice was phenomenal and went all out on everything. He's also rubbing off on Watts, who looked very determined today.

I heard a blurb on the local station this morning that DLs Engleberger & Brown really looked good in drills.

Okay, currently writing the morning practice recap based on my audio notes.  This will appear in the daily newsletter, but here's a teaser....

Ashley Lelie DOGGING it.  I just did an Ashley Lelie Face Off (Low Side) so I was watching him quite closely this morning.  He was dogging it after every play, walking back to the huddle, getting a drink after every route.  Now I know it's the first practice of the year, but c'mon.  Jerry Rice was phenomenal and went all out on everything.  He's also rubbing off on Watts, who looked very determined today.

thanks cecil!i was hoping watts would take advantage of having a living legend in practice with him.
More in the newsletter about Watts, all I have to say is one handed, LEFT HANDED, endzone catch from Watts...... :thumbup:

More in the newsletter about Watts, all I have to say is one handed, LEFT HANDED, endzone catch from Watts...... :thumbup:
Must have been a pass from Kanell. He can't throw hard enough to get the ball through wet tissue paper.

Must have been a pass from Kanell. He can't throw hard enough to get the ball through wet tissue paper.
Fade route drill. Pass was from Matt Mauck actually. I do agree with you about Kanell though. :X IM003518.jpg

CLatcamp.JPG

Fade route drill. Pass was from Matt Mauck actually. I do agree with you about Kanell though. :X
Man, I'm drooling at the prospect of Mauck stepping up. I saw the guy a few times in training camp, and while he made some rookie mistakes, he showed that he really understands the passing game, he has enough arm to make all the throws in the NFL credibly, plus he has enough savvy to look off DBs & LBs and go fully through his progressions.I see this kid as the heir apparent in DEN to Plummer & really hope he steps up and sends Kanell packing, though I saw the love letter for Kanell in the RMN this morning.Mauck = true deep sleeper that could really be a great prospect in a dynasty league (where of course I own both he & Plummer, but Kanell remains a FA).

I am loving the news on Watts. I've posted several times over on this board that I see Watts eventually developing into a top 10 WR.

I am loving the news on Watts. I've posted several times over on this board that I see Watts eventually developing into a top 10 WR.
So one TD catch from a a third string QB has you giddy? What about Watts choking when it actually mattered, during the regular season last year.

So one TD catch from a a third string QB has you giddy? What about Watts choking when it actually mattered, during the regular season last year.
I remember TO choking when he was young.

Give me something on my boy Van Pelt, Lammey...humor me, if you must.
He was outstanding in drills today. He was called upon 2 times to bring an ice cold cup of gatorade to Plummer & didn't spill a drop on either occassion, working through trash and showing some good open field moves in the 2nd delivery... ;)

JK, SLBD - I like Van Pelt a lot, too, even though I'm a Buff through & through. I just don't think he has quite enough skills to stick for a prolonged time at this level. Unfortunately. The kid has a heart the size of the Rocky Mountains.

Give me something on my boy Van Pelt, Lammey...humor me, if you must.
He was outstanding in drills today. He was called upon 2 times to bring an ice cold cup of gatorade to Plummer & didn't spill a drop on either occassion, working through trash and showing some good open field moves in the 2nd delivery... ;)

JK, SLBD - I like Van Pelt a lot, too, even though I'm a Buff through & through. I just don't think he has quite enough skills to stick for a prolonged time at this level. Unfortunately. The kid has a heart the size of the Rocky Mountains.
CSU vs. CU is quality shtick

I've been high on Watts for some time, certainlly not because he made one nice grab in camp. I was one of two posters (EBF being the other) that included Watts in the "Deep Sleepers" article.Watts has been really impressive for the Broncos since he showed up in training camp last year. He beat Champ Bailey for a long gain on the first day of Broncos camp last year.

Watts is explosive, a great route runner and very athletic. He simply has the skill set to be a top-shelf receiver in my opinion.

Like Roy Williams, Watts sometimes makes a circus catch one play, and drops an easy one the next. Sometimes young receivers are like that. However, he's stayed in Denver all this offseason and has been working on sharpening his game.

I'm telling you don't sleep on this guy. He's on the end of my bench in both of my dynasty leagues and that's no accident.

Courtney Brown and Trevor Pryce - who will be double teamed?

Gerald Warren - a force or a fat slob?

Nick Ferguson - up to it?
double team would go to Pryce, leaving Brown to wreak havocfat slob

ferguson needs some work

Fade route drill.  Pass was from Matt Mauck actually.  I do agree with you about Kanell though. :X
Man, I'm drooling at the prospect of Mauck stepping up. I saw the guy a few times in training camp, and while he made some rookie mistakes, he showed that he really understands the passing game, he has enough arm to make all the throws in the NFL credibly, plus he has enough savvy to look off DBs & LBs and go fully through his progressions.I see this kid as the heir apparent in DEN to Plummer & really hope he steps up and sends Kanell packing, though I saw the love letter for Kanell in the RMN this morning.

Mauck = true deep sleeper that could really be a great prospect in a dynasty league (where of course I own both he & Plummer, but Kanell remains a FA).
I think you'll like to see what I have to say about Mauck.

Cecil/Pony,

How is Wesley Duke looking? Think he'll make the team? Any insight is appreciated. :)
Duke is a great physical specimen, but he is a big time project. Practice Squad player in 2005.

So...how did Bell look?
GREAT running the ball. Hands down the best runner.not so great catching the ball.
I don't think any of that is very important. As Shanahan demonstrated with Putzier, it's going to be blocking ability as much as anything that'll determine who stays on the field.Have they started any contact drills yet? How's Bell's and Putzier's blocking doing? I think that'll be the single most important factor in their success this season.

So...how did Bell look?
GREAT running the ball. Hands down the best runner.not so great catching the ball.
I don't think any of that is very important. As Shanahan demonstrated with Putzier, it's going to be blocking ability as much as anything that'll determine who stays on the field.Have they started any contact drills yet? How's Bell's and Putzier's blocking doing? I think that'll be the single most important factor in their success this season.
The PADS go on Sunday! :thumbup: Pass blocking will keep Bell on the field, but receiving is something a Bronco back must be at least competent at.

So...how did Bell look?
The PADS go on Sunday! :thumbup: Pass blocking will keep Bell on the field, but receiving is something a Bronco back must be at least competent at.
Not fumbling will keep him on the field. He had issues with this and as soon as that happens Shannahan will yank him.

The PADS go on Sunday! :thumbup:

Pass blocking will keep Bell on the field, but receiving is something a Bronco back must be at least competent at.
Really? My *perception* is that the Broncos don't throw to their RB any more than most other teams. I emphasis perception because there is often quite a big disjoint between my perception and reality.I went over to Pro-Football-Reference to do a quick informal check on my gut instinct and found that it seems Broncos RBs are pretty consistantly getting around 40/300/1. That's about what I expected. Certainly nothing to distinguish themselves from the rest of the league, that's for sure. I know they rarely use their 3rd WR, but normally all of those targets wind up going to the TEs, instead (which is why I'm very high on Putzier, who I think will finish a top-5 TE when all is said and done, behind Gates/Gonzo/Crumpler/Witten).

Unless you're saying Bell has been cover-your-eyes awful at receiving, in which case I agree he won't be seeing much field time. Fewer 3-WR formations means Shanny relies on the RB keeping defenses honest in the passing game.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually think Anderson has a great chance of finishing the year as a better value. Denver's blocking scheme seems to be tailor-made for a big strong RB with vision (like Terrell Davis or Maurice Clarett), which is Anderson, not Bell.

So who is the 4/5th string WR that made one nice catch and will become the "golden boy" of the Denver media. It happens every year - especially in the first week. Some nobody makes a catch and its "ooohhhh aaahhhh" and there are 5 articles about him in the paper.Also is Rice going to play the role of aged veteran to get the media all hot and bothered but eventually fades away or gets cut. I've lived in Denver 25 years and it seems we have had this story over and over again. In the end Shanahan can't draft a WRor defensive back if it bit him in the ###.

Bell dropped 3 of 4 passes today. His last catch was really nice, but the 3 drops were ugly.The Broncos were using a TON of motion in practice. Splitting Putzier out wide, sometimes a FB out wide. They also used some shotgun formations.

I'm a denver homer so a few things that I'm interested in that I read contradicting to what you wrote.I had heard that Pryce was going to line up as the rush end, and Brown will be the other side, so that they can protect him from injury and rush him only occasionally. How do the other 16?? DL's look.Not very surprised that Warren is a fat turd right now, DTs will look like that in the first few weeks of camp, but this guy is a head case on top of that.I gotta think that MoClarett signed that deal with some notion that he would have a chance to start. Shanny's ego wins on this one and I think MoClarett starts sometime this year. Remember Griese over Brister the first year that Elway retired. Shanny's ego always gets the best of him.How do the LBs look? Has Gold recovered fully from the ACL? Any 3-4 alignments as they were rumored to go to the 3-4 during passing downs.Any of the plethora of the CBs that they have drafted look good?I'm interested in the TE they signed, Wesley Duke I think it is, the former basketball player?And last of all.....I'm jealous that you have a media pass :cry:

Afternoon practice is about ready to begin. The theme for today is D-E-F-E-N-S-E. Champ & Lenny Walls are playing great today. More info later!

IM003522.jpg

IM003523.jpg

I included some player quotes from the morning Q & A session. Here's an excerpt:

Darrent Williams struggled again today and dropped a few “F” bombs after he was beat on a long pass that went for a touchdown. I got to see him return some kicks today and he looked like a natural. He is very fast and it looks like his home will be on special teams until he can get used to the pro game.

Trevor Pryce is working his way back from that back injury, and it’s so far so good. At one point during practice he went to the side to work on technique with a D-line coach. When asked about the return of Trevor Pryce, Al Wilson had this to say: “It means so much simply because one on one he can’t be blocked. He is another threat that we missed last year in the pass rush department. Having him back teaming up with the guys from Cleveland, plus the guys we had last season… I’m looking for a big year…40-plus sacks.”

Remember, you can see the full version in our FBG's newsletter!

Here's a pic of my son Liam enjoying camp!

img1.JPG

I'm a denver homer so a few things that I'm interested in that I read contradicting to what you wrote.

I had heard that Pryce was going to line up as the rush end, and Brown will be the other side, so that they can protect him from injury and rush him only occasionally. How do the other 16?? DL's look.

Not very surprised that Warren is a fat turd right now, DTs will look like that in the first few weeks of camp, but this guy is a head case on top of that.

How do the LBs look? Has Gold recovered fully from the ACL? Any 3-4 alignments as they were rumored to go to the 3-4 during passing downs.

Any of the plethora of the CBs that they have drafted look good?

I'm interested in the TE they signed, Wesley Duke I think it is, the former basketball player?

And last of all.....I'm jealous that you have a media pass :cry:
Some good news about the DL and the LB's in the day 2 report. Foxworth is the best looking corner they drafted so far. Duke had several drops on easy passes.

Users who are viewing this thread