What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns 2005 Offseason (1 Viewer)

look....I grant you we'll never aggree on this---but to throw Billick under the bus and say he's a bad coach is without basis...you act as if the team would have done this dispite him---his running the ship WAS the reason the team attracted the FA's they assembled during the Super Bowl run
I never said Billick was a lousy coach. I hate the guy, but I didn't say he sucks. I just asked the question : would you rather have him than Cowher based on his 1 Super Bowl win? I wouldn't, others might.I wasn't trying to attack Billick, just making the point that having one great team doesn't necessarily make one a better coach than someone for whom the cards have never fallen just right. Personally, I'd take Cowher and his sustained success, but that's just my opinion. Others are sure to disagree.
(hijack alert)Along similar lines, how does the Gruden deal look right now to TB?It was said he won the SB, but that was mostly on Dungy's players. Where are their teams now?

look....I grant you we'll never aggree on this---but to throw Billick under the bus and say he's a bad coach is without basis...you act as if the team would have done this dispite him---his running the ship WAS the reason the team attracted the FA's they assembled during the Super Bowl run
I never said Billick was a lousy coach. I hate the guy, but I didn't say he sucks. I just asked the question : would you rather have him than Cowher based on his 1 Super Bowl win? I wouldn't, others might.I wasn't trying to attack Billick, just making the point that having one great team doesn't necessarily make one a better coach than someone for whom the cards have never fallen just right. Personally, I'd take Cowher and his sustained success, but that's just my opinion. Others are sure to disagree.
(hijack alert)Along similar lines, how does the Gruden deal look right now to TB?It was said he won the SB, but that was mostly on Dungy's players. Where are their teams now?
If you were to tell me that I had two choices, Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden, to be the head coach of my franchise where EVERYTHING ELSE would remain the same (same management, ownership, players, cap situation), I wouldn't hesitate to opt for Gruden.I think what you're seeing in Tampa Bay right now is more about Rich McKay's value being misunderstood by TB ownership during the Gruden transition. Since Gruden's arrival and assertion of power played a big part in McKay's departure, you can't absolve him of the consequences, but I think the problems that have arisen are more due to Gruden's non-coaching impact on the Bucs versus what he's done in practice and on Sundays.

BTW, I like Cowher as a coach, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't won squat.
Hasn't won squat, huh?Since Cowher has been the Steelers head coach in 1992, he has made the the playoffs 9 times. The Cleveland Browns in those 13 years have made the playoffs twice. In both of those seasons where the Browns made the playoffs, they were knocked out by Bill Cowher's Steelers.Bill Cowher has won the division 8 of the 13 years he has coached the Steelers. The Browns haven't won the division since 1989, 3 years before Bill Cowher became a head coach.Bill Cowher has gone to the Super Bowl once, something a Cleveland Browns team has never done.True, Bill Cowher's playoff record is 7-8, which ain't great. But if you add up all of the post-season wins for the Cleveland Browns, you have to go back to 1964 before you get to 7 and equal Bill Cowher.Bill Cowher > Cleveland Browns ;)
ROFLI love how when I ask if Cowher has ever won anything, they compare his record to my dismal franchise and then puff out their chest with pride. You can't defend him, so you attack something else. Its hilarious.
LOL that Cowher needs defended because BGP thinks he's never won anything. Bill Cowher has won his division 8 of 13 seasons as HC. I would call that winning something. His record is 137-85-1 (.617), I would guess that at least a few of those games could be classified as big games. He has won 7 playoffs games, which are normally considered important. He has won 14 games in a row in a season, which is an NFL record. I think that qualifies as winning something, too.During Cowher’s 18-year coaching career, teams he has been associated with have made the postseason 14 times. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach. In 1995, at age 38, he became the youngest coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl. Those all seem like good things.BGP, we all know that you dispise Bill Cowher and the Steelers and I guess if I were a Browns fan I probably would too considering the beatings the Browns have taken at the hands of the Steelers. But let's get real: Bill Cowher is a great coach and there isn't a GM in the NFL that would tell you otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I like Cowher as a coach, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't won squat.
Hasn't won squat, huh?Since Cowher has been the Steelers head coach in 1992, he has made the the playoffs 9 times. The Cleveland Browns in those 13 years have made the playoffs twice. In both of those seasons where the Browns made the playoffs, they were knocked out by Bill Cowher's Steelers.Bill Cowher has won the division 8 of the 13 years he has coached the Steelers. The Browns haven't won the division since 1989, 3 years before Bill Cowher became a head coach.Bill Cowher has gone to the Super Bowl once, something a Cleveland Browns team has never done.True, Bill Cowher's playoff record is 7-8, which ain't great. But if you add up all of the post-season wins for the Cleveland Browns, you have to go back to 1964 before you get to 7 and equal Bill Cowher.Bill Cowher > Cleveland Browns ;)
ROFLI love how when I ask if Cowher has ever won anything, they compare his record to my dismal franchise and then puff out their chest with pride. You can't defend him, so you attack something else. Its hilarious.
LOL that Cowher needs defended because BGP thinks he's never won anything. Bill Cowher has won his division 8 of 13 seasons as HC. I would call that winning something. His record is 137-85-1 (.617), I would guess that at least a few of those games could be classified as big games. He has won 7 playoffs games, which are normally considered important. He has won 14 games in a row in a season, which is an NFL record. I think that qualifies at winning something, too.During Cowher’s 18-year coaching career, teams he has been associated with have made the postseason 14 times. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach. In 1995, at age 38, he became the youngest coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl. Those all seem like good things.BGP, we all know that you dispise the Bill Cowher and the Steelers and I guess if I were a Browns fan I probably would too considering the beatings the Browns have taken at the hands of the Steelers. But let's get real: Bill Cowher is a great coach and there isn't a GM in the NFL that would tell you otherwise.
I sure wish Cowher was more like Browns coach Terry Robiskie:1- He ended the season 1-42- Made his starting QB (Holcomb) and #1 WR (Bryant) hug after a dispute3- Did a dance for his team after winning their final game to go 4-124- Told the media that he thinks his 4-12 team needs more time offBRILLIANT.

I sure wish Cowher was more like Browns coach Terry Robiskie:1- He ended the season 1-42- Made his starting QB (Holcomb) and #1 WR (Bryant) hug after a dispute3- Did a dance for his team after winning their final game to go 4-124- Told the media that he thinks his 4-12 team needs more time offBRILLIANT.
Coaches like Bill Cowher are a dime a dozen but guys like Terry Robiskie and Butch Dabvis are one-in-a-million.

Coaches like Bill Cowher are a dime a dozen but guys like Terry Robiskie and Butch Dabvis are one-in-a-million.
The Brownie braintrust is something to be admired. right.Can't post anymore here, feels dirty. Like bein' on Euclid Ave or something. :boxing:

I read the thread title "Browns 2005 Offseason" and mistakenly thought that's what this thread was going to be about.

Didn't realize I was going to read a whole bunch of gobbledy g.o.o.k on the merits of the Steelers & their Head Coach, ditto for Baltimore & their Head Coach, or even more rehashing of the Browns fired Head Coach & Lame Duck Interim Head Coach.

There was a little info in this thread on the subject Title, but not much.

Nice thread hi-jack guys :thumbdown:

I read the thread title "Browns 2005 Offseason" and mistakenly thought that's what this thread was going to be about.

Didn't realize I was going to read a whole bunch of gobbledy g.o.o.k on the merits of the Steelers & their Head Coach, ditto for Baltimore & their Head Coach, or even more rehashing of the Browns fired Head Coach & Lame Duck Interim Head Coach.

This post simply serves to hijack the hijack. If you want to post information about the Browns offseason, please feel free to do so. Otherwise, you're part of the problem. :P

This post simply serves to hijack the hijack. If you want to post information about the Browns offseason, please feel free to do so. Otherwise, you're part of the problem. :P
:potkettle:

nice avatar, Wade! Who is she? :hijack:

nice avatar, Wade! Who is she? :hijack:
OK...OK...I surrender, hi-jack away :sleep:

Really, let's cut the bulls#$% out here. I hate the Stillers and will say that Cowher has never won the big one, but I do have respect for him as a coach. He should have never been allowed to leave Cleveland in the first place. He played here, coached here, and now coaches the rival. BGP would be salivating right now if Cowher coached the Browns for the past 13 years with the success he's had in Pittsburgh.

Now lets focus on today's news.

LINK

Its gonna be Savage as GM, since NE will fight for Pioli even though they know BB calls the shots.

Any rumors from Tenn about Fisher or other possible firings? I did not expect to see the short list at this point to include Grimm, Robieskie, Donatell, Crennell (I did expect him).

Where is Fassell in all of this? I still think Savage will bring him along, but I'm not reading his name anywhere. Is he getting looks from other teams?

If the Brownies bring in Childress, is that a vote of confidence for Garcia? I think Savage is a good pick, but I don't know much about the GM position.

Really, let's cut the bulls#$% out here. I hate the Stillers and will say that Cowher has never won the big one, but I do have respect for him as a coach. He should have never been allowed to leave Cleveland in the first place. He played here, coached here, and now coaches the rival. BGP would be salivating right now if Cowher coached the Browns for the past 13 years with the success he's had in Pittsburgh.Now lets focus on today's news.LINKIts gonna be Savage as GM, since NE will fight for Pioli even though they know BB calls the shots.Any rumors from Tenn about Fisher or other possible firings? I did not expect to see the short list at this point to include Grimm, Robieskie, Donatell, Crennell (I did expect him). Where is Fassell in all of this? I still think Savage will bring him along, but I'm not reading his name anywhere. Is he getting looks from other teams?
Rumors have it that Fassell will assume the OC position at Baltimore now that Cavanaugh has been fired.

I never claimed not to be. I also wasn't the one beotching about the direction this thread went.Read Godsbrother's post. I too was content to ignore this thread until BGP started with the anti-Cowher propaganda.

If the Brownies bring in Childress, is that a vote of confidence for Garcia? I think Savage is a good pick, but I don't know much about the GM position.
I wouldn't read a Childress hiring as any indication on Jeff Garcia. I can tell you one thing about Brad, were he calling the plays in Philly it would be much more run oriented; that was his background prior to landing the Birds job and Reid has talked about Brad's love of the run a few times over the years (in a joking manner...along the lines of "I know we don't run the ball enough for Brad's tastes.).

One other thing...I'm not a religious man, but if Childress is hired away this offseason I will get down and pray that Marty Morhinweg doesn't become our new OC. :X

From what I've read and heard...Savage is the leading GM candidate. Jim Fassel also appears to be a lead HC candidate and the one I personally would like to see on the Browns sideline next year.Oh...for nightshift...Helena Christensen :wub:

From what I've read and heard...Savage is the leading GM candidate. Jim Fassel also appears to be a lead HC candidate and the one I personally would like to see on the Browns sideline next year.Oh...for nightshift...Helena Christensen :wub:
Google News has reports that Savage is all but hired. And certainly Jim Fassel and Mike Nolan would have to be considered major candidates for the HC job were that to transpire. Nolan is an interesting candidate, he wasn't a stellar coordinator in prior locales, but has done a solid job in BAL and also has experience as an offensive coach.

Really, let's cut the bulls#$% out here. I hate the Stillers and will say that Cowher has never won the big one, but I do have respect for him as a coach. He should have never been allowed to leave Cleveland in the first place. He played here, coached here, and now coaches the rival. BGP would be salivating right now if Cowher coached the Browns for the past 13 years with the success he's had in Pittsburgh.Now lets focus on today's news.LINKIts gonna be Savage as GM, since NE will fight for Pioli even though they know BB calls the shots.Any rumors from Tenn about Fisher or other possible firings? I did not expect to see the short list at this point to include Grimm, Robieskie, Donatell, Crennell (I did expect him). Where is Fassell in all of this? I still think Savage will bring him along, but I'm not reading his name anywhere. Is he getting looks from other teams?
Rumors have it that Fassell will assume the OC position at Baltimore now that Cavanaugh has been fired.
I had thought Fassell wanted to get behind the scenes for a year (helping out Boller, etc), and then get back into a head coaching position. I think he was titled Asst. Head Coach this year? This does not seem like a logical step for Fassell unless he is not getting any interest from around the league.

Really, let's cut the bulls#$% out here.  I hate the Stillers and will say that Cowher has never won the big one, but I do have respect for him as a coach.  He should have never been allowed to leave Cleveland in the first place.  He played here, coached here, and now coaches the rival.  BGP would be salivating right now if Cowher coached the Browns for the past 13 years with the success he's had in Pittsburgh.Now lets focus on today's news.LINKIts gonna be Savage as GM, since NE will fight for Pioli even though they know BB calls the shots.Any rumors from Tenn about Fisher or other possible firings?  I did not expect to see the short list at this point to include Grimm, Robieskie, Donatell, Crennell (I did expect him).  Where is Fassell in all of this?  I still think Savage will bring him along, but I'm not reading his name anywhere.  Is he getting looks from other teams?
I had thought Fassell wanted to get behind the scenes for a year (helping out Boller, etc), and then get back into a head coaching position. I think he was titled Asst. Head Coach this year? This does not seem like a logical step for Fassell unless he is not getting any interest from around the league.
:no:Jim Fassel was a "consultant" explicitly so that he wouldn't be limited in his pursuit of a head coaching position this year. In fact, his contract as a consultant officially ended when Baltimore's last game was played, and he's no longer affiliated with the organization in any capacity.

Really, let's cut the bulls#$% out here.  I hate the Stillers and will say that Cowher has never won the big one, but I do have respect for him as a coach.  He should have never been allowed to leave Cleveland in the first place.  He played here, coached here, and now coaches the rival.  BGP would be salivating right now if Cowher coached the Browns for the past 13 years with the success he's had in Pittsburgh.Now lets focus on today's news.LINKIts gonna be Savage as GM, since NE will fight for Pioli even though they know BB calls the shots.Any rumors from Tenn about Fisher or other possible firings?  I did not expect to see the short list at this point to include Grimm, Robieskie, Donatell, Crennell (I did expect him).  Where is Fassell in all of this?  I still think Savage will bring him along, but I'm not reading his name anywhere.  Is he getting looks from other teams?
:no:Jim Fassel was a "consultant" explicitly so that he wouldn't be limited in his pursuit of a head coaching position this year. In fact, his contract as a consultant officially ended when Baltimore's last game was played, and he's no longer affiliated with the organization in any capacity.
So I was wrong on the title, but right on with the rest. Thanks for the "consultant" clarification.

So I was wrong on the title, but right on with the rest. Thanks for the "consultant" clarification.
No problem...it's a very important distinction because had he been Assistant Head Coach, we would've been beholden to the same rules as any other staff assistant and been unable to interview for any job until the Ravens season was complete.

we could only wish....won't happenFassell has maintained his desire to become a HC again in the league, and would be a natural fit to follow Savage to Clev...Billick, as much as he would love to turn the reigns over to his buddy, has maintained the same stance---that it was always about Fassell becomming a HC againMinny OC Scott L. is the guy Billick wantsthe Savage hiring is a good move for Clev..... :hot: :rant:

Thank goodness we're back on track.

Thanks guys, some good info/scuttlebutt here. :thumbup:

Edit:

I see in the time it took me to type the above, I spoke too soon about the thread hi-jack being over.

Oh well :(

This might have been mentioned in this thread already, but I don't feel like reading through this off topic garbage. WTAM & WKNR in Cleveland are reporting the Browns have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow to announce Phil Savage as GM

This might have been mentioned in this thread already, but I don't feel like reading through this off topic garbage. WTAM & WKNR in Cleveland are reporting the Browns have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow to announce Phil Savage as GM
:yes: It's been mentioned.Oh, and hi-jackers...can we PLEASE quit the :stillers: vs. Brownie back-and-forth?

Like you crazy88, I don't feel like trying to sift through all the garbage off topic posts in this thread, so what you just posted is a first.....I think.Thanks man! :thumbup:

The more I read about Savage the more I hope the Browns get this done quickly, since it looks like Pioli is locked up in N.E.!Savage looks like he has been honing the skills needed to be a good GM and hopefully can get this Franchise back on track quickly. Having the GM in place soon, only bodes well for assembling a good Coaching staff that'll be of the same bent as the GM and in time to be well prepared for scouting and the draft.Get it done like yesterday! :yes:

Oh, and hi-jackers...can we PLEASE quit the :stillers: vs. Brownie back-and-forth?
Reggie White couldn't hold Joe Greene's jock. :stillers:
Hey Frenchie! As much as I like Joe, that ain't true and it ain't cool to speak ill of the dead.Reggie was a hell of player and a man. Show some respect & leave it at that.

LINK

Interesting article, short read. A little off the subject of Savage....but it just gives you a glance at what could have been...

Oh, and hi-jackers...can we PLEASE quit the :stillers: vs. Brownie back-and-forth?
Hey Frenchie! As much as I like Joe, that ain't true and it ain't cool to speak ill of the dead.Reggie was a hell of player and a man. Show some respect & leave it at that.
Easy Tiger, I was teasing Mr. Wood. Sorry if I offended you.

Easy Tiger, I was teasing Mr. Wood. Sorry if I offended you.
None taken.

:yes: It's been mentioned.Oh, and hi-jackers...can we PLEASE quit the :stillers: vs. Brownie back-and-forth?
Have already done so, and apologize to those who came here to read Browns offseason news and got stuck reading a Steelers/Browns argument istead, sincerely. If you look at who started this thread, though - you'll know why it happened. Certain people bring it on themselves, and unfortunately others get stuck in the wake. Again, sorry for that.

Also mentioned in that article is Atlanta DC Ed Donatell. What do folks think of that possibility?I personally like the idea of bring Fassell on board. I was impressed when he pulled out the (first) "we will make the playoffs" schtick with the Giants.
I'll say it's pretty evident Donatell was a scape goat in Green Bay last year, and is better than he was made out to be. However, I'm not sure how much credit we give him versus Mora though.I'm guessing Donatell needs at least another year or two in ATL showing that the Falcons D in 2004 wasn't a fluke before he gets any serious HC looks.

Just reported on WKNR AM 850 out of Cleveland that Phil Savage is IN.His official title will be "Senior Vice President and General Manager".The official press conference to introduce Savage will be tommorrow, Friday January 7th, at 5PM.

Just reported on WKNR AM 850 out of Cleveland that Phil Savage is IN.
Clevland just got a whole lot better today......and this time Tuesday they'll be reporting Nolan as HC :angry: Shack Harris, Phil Savage, Marvin Lewis, Jack del Rio, Donnie Henderson and soon-to-be Mike Nolan......for a team that everybody loves to hate, clubs sure like raiding our front office and coaching staff! :hot:

Nothing earth-shattering from the press conference.Example:A: What kind of coach do you want? offensive? Defensive?A: Doesn't matter. Looking for prepardness, talent development skills, gameday skills.My first impression is that he's a bit unassuming. No bravado or anything, which troubles me a bit. The common misconception is to mistake confidence for arrogance. But most champions push the borders between confidence and arrogance.

In a post-press conference interview heard on local sports talk radio, Savage said he has already interview Romeo Crennell. He will interview Russ Grimm Tommorrow and Terry Robiskie on monday.

Why even bother with Robiskie, half the time the guy can't speak English in his interviews. IMO the Browns should hire one of the prominant OC around the league. The Browns need a major shot in the arm and hiring a boring defensive guy won't do it. They need some major enthusiasm with there most important hire in a long time.

In a post-press conference interview heard on local sports talk radio, Savage said he has already interview Romeo Crennell. He will interview Russ Grimm Tommorrow and Terry Robiskie on monday.
Savage also spoke highly of his interview with Crennell. Saying it went very well.

Savage also spoke highly of his interview with Crennell. Saying it went very well.
Correct, and they do have some history together also I believe.BGP, you should not be troubled. You can't take anything out of those initial press conferences, which you mentioned. Basically scripted anyways, and they give general answers to questions since they have not worked a day yet for the team. Plus, it was probably Savage's first high profile press conference.

As a Bengals fan the only HC candidate on the Browns short list that scares me is Fassell.
great choice!leave Nolan alone for a year, so 'we' aren't replacing both coordinatorsI'm not sure what kind of relationship might have been forged between Savage and Fassel over the last year, as Fassel spent most of his time home in NJ, commuting into town for maybe 2 days/week, which were spent on the field w/Bollerwhile the 'offensive' approach might be the sexy one for fans, don't be suprised to see Savage go 'defensive'.......considering the division w/Pitts (#1D), Balt(#6 and historically very high) and Cinncy (w/HC Marvin Lewis...previous DC in Baltimore)they will go defense in the draft, as Savage has done in the past, and he'll likely want a defensive minded coach to carry out the philosophy...FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread