What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns making early splash (1 Viewer)

Mcnabbfan

Footballguy
Sirius NFL radio just reported that Bentley has signed with the Cleveland Brown's for 6 years at $6 million a year with a $12 million signing bonus. This report came from Bentley's agent. Unfortunately no link at this time.

Sirius NFL radio just reported that Bentley has signed with the Cleveland Brown's for 6 years at $6 million a year with a $12 million signing bonus. This report came from Bentley's agent. Unfortunately no link at this time.
:eek:

Being an Eagles fan, this is very depressing. I always felt that Hank Fraley was weak at the point of attack and signing Bentley would have improved the Eagles interior line tremendously.

Another mammoth of a kid that hits it big in the genetic lottery.

Another mammoth of a kid that hits it big in the genetic lottery.
Now that's irony from Yao Ming. :D Frye's potential just increased big time. As did Droughns.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not as much as it seems. It's a $12M bonus with $24M for the salaries over 6 years and is probably back-loaded. Not bad for a young Pro Bowl center.

But Howard Eskin is NEVER wrong! :rolleyes:

If true, that's a pretty huge signing for the Browns. So what will they do with Jeff Faine now? Will he be a backup?

Wow that is REALLY disappointing. I had thought we shouldn't count our chickens before they're hatched this past week after initial reports, but when the papers said the deal was done and would be signed at 12:01 am last night, I thought it was a done deal.

:sadbanana:

I realize there's another thread [or two] regarding the Browns signing Bentley, but they also signed LT Kevin Shaffer for $5 mil per season, too! Those are two enormous moves toward making that offensive line very solid in a hurry. Shaffer hasn't gotten a lot of national press but he's been the LT on one of the league's best running teams in ATL. Shaffer is only 26 and was arguably the best UFA left tackle on the market [since Lepsis got signed and Backus is tagged].

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364025

I realize there's another thread [or two] regarding the Browns signing Bentley, but they also signed LT Kevin Shaffer for $5 mil per season, too! Those are two enormous moves toward making that offensive line very solid in a hurry. Shaffer hasn't gotten a lot of national press but he's been the LT on one of the league's best running teams in ATL. Shaffer is only 26 and was arguably the best UFA left tackle on the market [since Lepsis got signed and Backus is tagged].

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364025
The Browns are killing in free agency so far.

So what will they do with Jeff Faine now?  Will he be a backup?
play him at guard?
keep him for depth unless they get a sweet trade offer from someone like Denver who could best utilize his talents as he's more finesse than mauler technician

Browns | Jurevicius expected to visit Sunday

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:13:26 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent WR Joe Jurevicius (Seahawks) will visit with the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, March 12. It is believed the two sides are closing in on a four-year deal.

now lets see Givens, Zastidul, Kemo, Bart Scott, Pryce......

Wow what a difference a year makes!

So what will they do with Jeff Faine now?  Will he be a backup?
play him at guard?
This seems most likely
I would doubt this actually. They signed Joe Andruzzi and Cosey Coleman the last two years to fill the guard spot. Id say its more likely Faine gets made a reserve center, and Bentley starts at Center. If one of the guards gets hurt, Id expect Faine to play center and bentley to shift to guard.

The Browns SHOULD be aggressive, they're the ONLY team in the NFL that has never played in or hosted a Super Bowl.
Not exactly true Grid, they just did it wearing purple unis in another city. (^(*&%&%((% Modell! !!!

didn't Faine have some problems in Cleveland? I agree that he's likely headed for the bench with this signing.

didn't Faine have some problems in Cleveland? I agree that he's likely headed for the bench with this signing.
The only problems he had were of the "on the field" type. He wasn't showing aggressive, nasty play. He was getting blown out by NTs. He also allegedly lost weight and strength the year before last.

Also, based on Bentley's insistance on playing Center, I would assume he had that worked out before signing. Faine should definitely be heading to the bench or trading block if we get a decent offer.

Outstanding! This is how you build an offense. Adding players of this caliber will definately improve the running game and add better protection for Frye. I agree that Droughns should be bumped up as well as Frye.

Watch for Frye to improve as the season moves on. With Winslow and Edwards returning and likely getting better as the season goes on I would expect Frye to also continue to improve along with them. He will be a decent QB2 and poss QB 1 in 12 team or deeper leagues later in the year.

Glad to see that Savage is backing up what he has been saying for the past few weeks as far as not waiting around to see what other teams do and to being more aggressive this year in free agency. :boxing:

Looks like The Browns FINALLY have someone with a clue as to how to build a team. :banned: We've been screaming for years to get some lineman! :wall:

LOVE these two signings!

:pickle:

Gotta agree with Grid that Cleveland will never HOST a Super Bowl. We have about the same chance as the Bears. :D

The Browns SHOULD be aggressive, they're the ONLY team in the NFL that has never played in or hosted a Super Bowl.
What an odd statistic. Why would anyone care if their team had hosted a Super Bowl but never played in it? Are the Cards or Lions a better franchise than the Browns because Arizona and Detroit have hosted a Super Bowl? And if I'm not mistaken, the Browns won quite a few NFL Championship games.

This is the second smart offseason in a row for the Brownies (although this year still has a ways to go). I think they were smart not spending big money last year. They got some nice bargains in guys like Andruzzi and Droughns. Since they spent so wisely last year they put themselves in a position to make a big splash this offseason...and that's exactly what they're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread