What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns Sign Kareem Hunt (1 Viewer)

Signing hunt unnecessarily tarnished the awesome rebuild these guys are doing. 

It'd be different if they hadn't just gone through the Josh Gordon/Johnny Manziel years and come out better from it, but they aren't desperate for talent anymore.

This is a team that has a ton of talent in the room and needs good character to bring it together.  Mayfield's a leader but i don't know if he's the kind of leader to deal with this.  OBJ is a great talent but he wasn't a team captain in New York.  There's a bunch of guys who just arrived in Cleveland and a few who have a year or maybe two with the team but there's no long term veteran to call the shots.

Where is the character that defines this team? And if it's still under construction, how does bringing in hunt help them get there?  
How does it HURT them getting there?  If anything, and I mean ANYTHING happens, he is cut, and good riddance.  Very low risk signing with very high potential reward.  

Plus, when you talk about character, there are lots of ways to define that in regards to an NFL team.  Hunt just might be a great teammate and locker room guy, which is infinitely more important than his character when it comes to 3am drunken stupid stuff in the offseason.  

Signing Hunt doesnt tarnish anything.  At all.  If you want to view it that way, cool.  But for the vast majority of people LOSING tarnishes the rebuild a lot more than not signing all choir boys.

It'd be different if they hadn't just gone through the Josh Gordon/Johnny Manziel years and come out better from it, but they aren't desperate for talent anymore.

This is a team that has a ton of talent in the room and needs good character to bring it together.  Mayfield's a leader but i don't know if he's the kind of leader to deal with this.  OBJ is a great talent but he wasn't a team captain in New York.  There's a bunch of guys who just arrived in Cleveland and a few who have a year or maybe two with the team but there's no long term veteran to call the shots.

Where is the character that defines this team? And if it's still under construction, how does bringing in hunt help them get there?  

And you think bringing in a very talented guy who by accounts is resolving significant anger issues, is dedicated to making himself a better person, and played in a previous environment dedicated to winning with a diverse offense is a bad thing in that regard?

Let's say he went unsigned for 2019.  His suspension would start once he got signed, right? Again, I aver that Dorsey did him a favor.
No, I believe they could have suspended him before any team signed him and any games he was unsigned would still have counted since he’s still in the NFL players union. Last year’s games don’t count because he was never suspended. He was released and then put on commiosners exempt list while they investigated. He would have still received pay while on the exempt list, had the Chiefs not released him but could not have played (same as Adrian Peterson after his child abuse scandal).

Lombardi:  Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.

Belichick: No matter what you have to do.
I totally agree. Pro athletes are not angels. Great move to sign Hunt by Cleveland, provides them great RB depth and they can trade him or let him walk and receive comp pick (maybe). or maybe Chubb get hurt? 

How does it HURT them getting there?  If anything, and I mean ANYTHING happens, he is cut, and good riddance.  Very low risk signing with very high potential reward.  

Plus, when you talk about character, there are lots of ways to define that in regards to an NFL team.  Hunt just might be a great teammate and locker room guy, which is infinitely more important than his character when it comes to 3am drunken stupid stuff in the offseason.  

Signing Hunt doesnt tarnish anything.  At all.  If you want to view it that way, cool.  But for the vast majority of people LOSING tarnishes the rebuild a lot more than not signing all choir boys.
I'm not talking about my delicate sensibilities.  I won't argue with a fan who stops watching because they don't want to support bad guys and i won't argue with someone who supports their team regardless and just wants to see good football.  

I'm talking about a team which already has a history of losing, a history of questionable acquisitions, that has a cocky young quarterback who says things he's not "supposed to", and just brought in one of the most recognizable stars in football with his mercurial personality.  That's a lot to handle. 

They don't need hunt so badly that they need the distractions he brings.  They want fans on the bandwagon, not off. They want leaders, not hard questions from reporters. 

And you think bringing in a very talented guy who by accounts is resolving significant anger issues, is dedicated to making himself a better person, and played in a previous environment dedicated to winning with a diverse offense is a bad thing in that regard?
I think you're asking if i believe he can rehabilitate his image. Yes.  I also think other fans may refuse to watch him, and that his presence, and reinstatement, and questions about his playing time, and the risk of any future incidents with him or his teammates, all of that could be bad news for a team that already had its arrow pointing up.  

this is rich coming from a Pats fan, talk about tarnished
The patriots are a good example of a team that had the locker room to handle these huge distractions. 

The Patriots got caught up in deflategate, and had a record setting 18-1 season. 

The patriots had qma guy with questionable character and sense CTE murder someone.  They cut him before the investigation even kicked off but the distraction never ended.  The pats went on to the afc championship game. 

When Brady got suspended - the team went on to win the superbowl. 

When edelman got suspended - the team went on to win the superbowl.

Not many teams have the kind of locker room and coaching that the Patriots do. The Browns certainly don't. 

Setting aside your personal feelings about whether a professional athlete hitting a woman is as serious an offense as playing football outside on a cold day,  do you think the browns are as prepared as the Patriots were to handle major distractions?

bostonfred said:
I'm not talking about my delicate sensibilities.  I won't argue with a fan who stops watching because they don't want to support bad guys and i won't argue with someone who supports their team regardless and just wants to see good football.  

I'm talking about a team which already has a history of losing, a history of questionable acquisitions, that has a cocky young quarterback who says things he's not "supposed to", and just brought in one of the most recognizable stars in football with his mercurial personality.  That's a lot to handle. 

They don't need hunt so badly that they need the distractions he brings.  They want fans on the bandwagon, not off. They want leaders, not hard questions from reporters. 

I think you're asking if i believe he can rehabilitate his image. Yes.  I also think other fans may refuse to watch him, and that his presence, and reinstatement, and questions about his playing time, and the risk of any future incidents with him or his teammates, all of that could be bad news for a team that already had its arrow pointing up.  

The patriots are a good example of a team that had the locker room to handle these huge distractions. 

The Patriots got caught up in deflategate, and had a record setting 18-1 season. 

The patriots had qma guy with questionable character and sense CTE murder someone.  They cut him before the investigation even kicked off but the distraction never ended.  The pats went on to the afc championship game. 

When Brady got suspended - the team went on to win the superbowl. 

When edelman got suspended - the team went on to win the superbowl.

Not many teams have the kind of locker room and coaching that the Patriots do. The Browns certainly don't. 

Setting aside your personal feelings about whether a professional athlete hitting a woman is as serious an offense as playing football outside on a cold day,  do you think the browns are as prepared as the Patriots were to handle major distractions?
The hunt thing isn't a distraction for the browns at all......as long as you don't kneel for the anthem no one cares..... you left out......... they took on Gordon, their owner just got caught getting rub n tugs...….model organization. do we need to go back to the old scandal of female harassment in the locker room?

The hunt thing isn't a distraction for the browns at all......as long as you don't kneel for the anthem no one cares..... you left out......... they took on Gordon, their owner just got caught getting rub n tugs...….model organization. do we need to go back to the old scandal of female harassment in the locker room?
Weird direction for you to take this, but way off topic.  I'm sorry you don't like the team i cheer for. That doesn't change my point about whether it was a good idea for the browns to take on hunt when they appeared to have added a ton of other talent and need to establish some leadership in the locker room, but i fully concede your point that you don't like the patriots and have many reasons not to. You're right and you win. 

Weird direction for you to take this, but way off topic.  I'm sorry you don't like the team i cheer for. That doesn't change my point about whether it was a good idea for the browns to take on hunt when they appeared to have added a ton of other talent and need to establish some leadership in the locker room, but i fully concede your point that you don't like the patriots and have many reasons not to. You're right and you win. 
hahaha! 

I don't think that the distraction for cleveland is as big as you make it, the hunt thing is over, the suspension will be served.  I don't think anything is tarnished....

daveR said:
Let's say he went unsigned for 2019.  His suspension would start once he got signed, right? Again, I aver that Dorsey did him a favor.
No, suspensions tick immediately.  Otherwise most people would never sign most guys pending suspension.

Seems like an incredibly irrelevant question
Agreed.  I didn't bring up the patriots, i only responded to a distraction. 

That's how distractions work. You and i could be using our time to discuss this productively, but somebody asked an off topic question, i responded to them, you responded to me, and next thing you know we aren't doing what we came here to do. It's insipid. 

So lets get back on topic.  Do you think that the browns have developed the cohesion as a team that is needed to handle distractions? 

Browns offensive players who were captains last year

Mayfield - no (and was stripped of his captaincy in college) 

Landry - no

Chubb- no

OBJ - no (for the giants)

Joel Bitonio - yes

That's not terrible in and of itself but that doesn't seem like a group that is ready to deal with a million questions about domestic violence and why do you think the team signed hunt and how do you expect the carries to work out.  

It's a huge pain that they didn't need.  I just think they would be better off without the guy, but maybe they didn't know they were going to do this well acquiring other talent and decided they needed to take the risk 

Browns offensive players who were captains last year

Mayfield - no (and was stripped of his captaincy in college) 

Landry - no

Chubb- no

OBJ - no (for the giants)

Joel Bitonio - yes

That's not terrible in and of itself but that doesn't seem like a group that is ready to deal with a million questions about domestic violence and why do you think the team signed hunt and how do you expect the carries to work out.  

It's a huge pain that they didn't need.  I just think they would be better off without the guy, but maybe they didn't know they were going to do this well acquiring other talent and decided they needed to take the risk 

What, nothing about whether they were captains in high school or middle school?  I can certainly see why Pats fans are whistling through the graveyard right now.

Agreed.  I didn't bring up the patriots, i only responded to a distraction. 

That's how distractions work. You and i could be using our time to discuss this productively, but somebody asked an off topic question, i responded to them, you responded to me, and next thing you know we aren't doing what we came here to do. It's insipid. 

So lets get back on topic.  Do you think that the browns have developed the cohesion as a team that is needed to handle distractions? 
Yes.  Mayfield's is a beast between the ears.  Kitchens doesn't care enough about anyone else for anything to distract him.  Dorsey has proven to not give a damn about distraction and has traded away distractions.  Those are the three most important people.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a complete outsider to the team who never follows the Browns outside their fantasy relevance, I've been impressed at their turnaround. Mayfield, Chubb, OBJ and Hunt? Hey, this is a real team. Almost had a winning record last year. I could see them winning the division. 

I just wrote that I could see the Browns winning their division, and I'm not joking or being sarcastic. So I don't think signing Hunt has hurt them with the NFL fans. I have no idea what their identity is, or who their leaders are. Maybe they don't have one. I didn't say I thought they'd win the Super Bowl. Just being in the discussion is a win for Cleveland imo.

It's refreshing for FF owners that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Hopefully he does everything he's supposed to do and that light isn't a train.

daveR said:

ghostguy123 said:
That is what is weird about the suspensions.  A 4 game suspension could easily end the career of an average player because a team won't want to have them inactive for 4 games.  
The NFL has always allowed suspensions to count even over weeks where a free agent remains unsigned because of the looming suspension.  Specifically to prevent this sort of thing where a short suspension makes a journeyman unemployable.

What’s unclear is how the commissioner’s exempt list fits with this...most likely it doesn’t “count” in the same way since it is still paid leave.

bostonfred said:

Do we know the players as people well enough to judge their character?

Meh, we'll see.

Sometimes the risk of losing millions will motivate a person to seek the counseling they need and will modify their behavior.  In the meantime, we can only go by the reports that we hear.  I think Hunt refusing to appeal the suspension - and possible get some games removed because of his time on the exemption list last season - shows a willingness to accept responsibiity for his actions to date.  The only thing we can do wait and see.

Sometimes the risk of losing millions will motivate a person to seek the counseling they need and will modify their behavior.  In the meantime, we can only go by the reports that we hear.  I think Hunt refusing to appeal the suspension - and possible get some games removed because of his time on the exemption list last season - shows a willingness to accept responsibiity for his actions to date.  The only thing we can do wait and see.
Agree.  I just think that is a hard thing to change about yourself.  I sincerely hope he can do it, but I'm doubtful.

Agree.  I just think that is a hard thing to change about yourself.  I sincerely hope he can do it, but I'm doubtful.

That’s the difference between you and me.  I actually like people and am optimistic (despite so many knucklehead players in the past pissing away millions because they feel entitled and think the league is going to change for them).

;)

What's Hunts status at the end of the season.  RFA?
Yep.  RFA so the Browns hold restrictive rights.

The contract this year is criminally low, less than $350,000.

Per the Browns being the wrong team to sign Hunt, no.  Dorsey drafted him in 2017, he knows him.

Hunt, unlike Gordon and Manziel is a good team mate who works.  

I view this year as just a reentry point.  No expectations for being startable, just want to see him on the field some.  But what about 2020?

If the Browns can tender him and match offers, I'm much less inclined to deal for him.  It's going to be difficult to regain RB1 status splitting a backfield with Chubb.  Great for Cleveland, bad for the fantasy value of both backs.

skinfanjon said:
I view this year as just a reentry point.  No expectations for being startable, just want to see him on the field some.  But what about 2020?

If the Browns can tender him and match offers, I'm much less inclined to deal for him.  It's going to be difficult to regain RB1 status splitting a backfield with Chubb.  Great for Cleveland, bad for the fantasy value of both backs. 
I suppose it depends on his price, but he's a superb handcuff to Chubb with definite potential to own a backfield in the event of an injury.  I've seen references of him being traded for rookie 2nd's - I'd do that in a flash regardless of if I owned Chubb or not.  If there's any injury at all Hunt's value to the Chubb owner will be far higher than that.

I suppose it depends on his price, but he's a superb handcuff to Chubb with definite potential to own a backfield in the event of an injury.  I've seen references of him being traded for rookie 2nd's - I'd do that in a flash regardless of if I owned Chubb or not.  If there's any injury at all Hunt's value to the Chubb owner will be far higher than that.
Yeah nobody in my leagues are gonna sell for that.  Mid 1st at least, which is enough to give me pause right now.

Prices (where a deal is made) aren't set by sellers. They're set by buyers.

I offered up Hunt in another league for the 1.10 and this was the response (which I'm guessing would be typical)

"I appreciate the offer but I can't give up a 1st round pick for a guy who's riding the pine for the first half of the season."

You can say that your opinion is that he's worth more than that, which is fine, but then you're going to keep him. Which is also fine.

I offered up Hunt in another league for the 1.10 and this was the response (which I'm guessing would be typical)

"I appreciate the offer but I can't give up a 1st round pick for a guy who's riding the pine for the first half of the season."

You can say that your opinion is that he's worth more than that, which is fine, but then you're going to keep him. Which is also fine.
I don't own him anywhere, am trying to buy.  I've been met with mid 1st expectations at minimum.

Hunt is a solid HOLD imo. I have room on my bench to hold a former RB1 for a year. Especially in a league if you can use an IR slot for a suspended player. Heck, I drafted Guice last year knowing it was a year of no return at all, why wouldn't I do the same for a guy who's proven to be an RB1?

It’s the Invisible Hand.

This is not at all accurate by the way.  Dynasty rosters aren't a store where everything on the shelf is available for a predetermined rate at checkout.  It's a process of negotiation.

Deals occur when the motivation of buyers and sellers at least intersect, and mere intersection may not be enough due to individual preferences ("fair offer, just don't want to do it").  

IDP PPR league. Offered Hunt to a guy for the 2.1.

He countered with Hunt & Telvin Smith for the 2.1. You don't even led to play IDP to know that's a ridiculous counter.

If anyone was wondering about what he can or cannot participate in leading up to his suspension.

----------------------

Daryl Ruiter‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN

Kareem Hunt is permitted to participate in the offseason program, OTAs, minicamp & training camp before suspension takes effect. #Browns

7:25 AM - 15 Mar 2019

---------------------

According to the above that rules out preseason games and he is not appealing the suspension.  Training camp ends before the first preseason game so if he creates a buzz in training camp that might create a good sell-high opportunity window before he is out of sight for three months.

Users who are viewing this thread