What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns Starting RB... (1 Viewer)

And we really don't know if McGahee preferred the Browns because of the type of role he would/could play (like a featured one) or if he got complete rejection by NYG.
I've seen this (or something like this) posted several times (here and elsewhere) as proof/support for the idea that McGahee would become the starter in Cle.But, it is likely to assume that Willis is going to sign for the minimum in Cle (as he probably would have in NY); I believe that this is over $800K for a veteran with his career length.

Since he worked out for NYG on 9/10, and Jacobs signed with NYG on 9/10, but Ballard didn't blow out his knee until 9/12, how could McGahee have known that Indy would trade for a RB, that RB would be Richardson, thus opening a spot for him in Cleveland?

If he didn't KNOW the Cleveland job was going to open up (and how could he?), are we assuming that he turned down the job because he wasn't guaranteed to start? Are we really supposed to believe that?
Yeah, I'm not so sure McGahee rejected anything from Giants, they worked out McGahee and Jacobs on the same day, but it still stands to reason that Jacobs was in good enough condition that they felt they didn't need McGahee, and again, Jacobs history..

Let's also not forget that Richardson could have been on the trading block as early as the beginning of the season and that McGahee doesn't need to know anything about Indy's situation because obviously they didn't want him. He was supposed to be the best FA available. I still believe he was holding out for an involved role and I don't think that the Browns are the only ones looking for an RB.

If we see him get a vet minimum contract, with heavy performance incentives, I'd say he's in for a good amount of work this year..

NYG fan here. Two things.

1. The Giants signed Jacobs for 2 reasons, first he already knew the playbook. secondly, he was no threat to Wilson who already has a bruised psychy. Could you imgine the bigger circus right now with the NY media if McGahee was the backup RB to Wilson? It would like the NYG turned into the NY jets. Also the NYG like Dre Brown a lot. What would they do when he comes back? Move Brown to the starter? the backup? Move their 1st round draft pick to the 3rd string? Too many headaches, so Jacobs is the guy

2. There is a report out there from Cleveland that states McGahee has already been signed, and they are awaiting the results of his physical so they can announce it.

And we really don't know if McGahee preferred the Browns because of the type of role he would/could play (like a featured one) or if he got complete rejection by NYG.
I've seen this (or something like this) posted several times (here and elsewhere) as proof/support for the idea that McGahee would become the starter in Cle.But, it is likely to assume that Willis is going to sign for the minimum in Cle (as he probably would have in NY); I believe that this is over $800K for a veteran with his career length.

Since he worked out for NYG on 9/10, and Jacobs signed with NYG on 9/10, but Ballard didn't blow out his knee until 9/12, how could McGahee have known that Indy would trade for a RB, that RB would be Richardson, thus opening a spot for him in Cleveland?

If he didn't KNOW the Cleveland job was going to open up (and how could he?), are we assuming that he turned down the job because he wasn't guaranteed to start? Are we really supposed to believe that?
Yeah, I'm not so sure McGahee rejected anything from Giants, they worked out McGahee and Jacobs on the same day, but it still stands to reason that Jacobs was in good enough condition that they felt they didn't need McGahee, and again, Jacobs history..

Let's also not forget that Richardson could have been on the trading block as early as the beginning of the season and that McGahee doesn't need to know anything about Indy's situation because obviously they didn't want him. He was supposed to be the best FA available. I still believe he was holding out for an involved role and I don't think that the Browns are the only ones looking for an RB.

If we see him get a vet minimum contract, with heavy performance incentives, I'd say he's in for a good amount of work this year..
You implied in your previous post that McGahee preferred the situation in Cleveland, and maybe that, not a "complete rejection" by NYG is why he didn't sign in NYG. But, even without that, you're making a couple of big assumptions here.

1)Richardson could have been on the trading block as early as the beginning of the season? Do you really think that in this age, when Schefter, Mort, every beat reporter and thousands of bloggers are reporting on every minute detail of the NFL that there wouldn't have been any reports that Richardson was on the trade block?

2)McGahee was holding out for an involved role? Why would he turn down over $800K for the "hope" that a team would sign him for a more "involved role?" Doesn't make sense to me. Could it happen? Sure, but I don't think it's the likeliest scenario.

It just seems like some people are willing to take some pretty big leaps to try to make this seem like a good situation for McGahee. Last I heard, Cleveland still hasn't signed him. If it was such a good situation, wouldn't you think they would be trying to hurry the process up, to get him practicing?

2. There is a report out there from Cleveland that states McGahee has already been signed, and they are awaiting the results of his physical so they can announce it.
Are you sure? I just did a check and couldn't find anything other than he was taking a physical yesterday.

my body is ready for some mcgahee

Browns OC Norv Turner praised free agent RB Willis McGahee Thursday.
McGahee hasn't signed with Cleveland yet, but is expected to once he passes his physical. Turner called McGahee a very good inside runner who will understand the system because of his experience. McGahee also played for Browns coach Rob Chudzinski will both were at the University of Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:

You implied in your previous post that McGahee preferred the situation in Cleveland, and maybe that, not a "complete rejection" by NYG is why he didn't sign in NYG. But, even without that, you're making a couple of big assumptions here.

1)Richardson could have been on the trading block as early as the beginning of the season? Do you really think that in this age, when Schefter, Mort, every beat reporter and thousands of bloggers are reporting on every minute detail of the NFL that there wouldn't have been any reports that Richardson was on the trade block?

2)McGahee was holding out for an involved role? Why would he turn down over $800K for the "hope" that a team would sign him for a more "involved role?" Doesn't make sense to me. Could it happen? Sure, but I don't think it's the likeliest scenario.

It just seems like some people are willing to take some pretty big leaps to try to make this seem like a good situation for McGahee. Last I heard, Cleveland still hasn't signed him. If it was such a good situation, wouldn't you think they would be trying to hurry the process up, to get him practicing?
To your points:

1) Did any of them know that Richardson was going to get traded? Do you believe they have a listening device in every office of the NFL and know everything that they are thinking? Publicly stating that TRich is on the trading block is like screaming bloody murder from the front office

2) I said that if he were going to be used in an "involved role" he would most likely get this PLUS more if he performs well. And why would any RB at his age turn this down?

3) Why is it a big leap that McGahee is better than OB or Rainey? Why?

my body is ready for some mcgahee

Browns OC Norv Turner praised free agent RB Willis McGahee Thursday.McGahee hasn't signed with Cleveland yet, but is expected to once he passes his physical. Turner called McGahee a very good inside runner who will understand the system because of his experience. McGahee also played for Browns coach Rob Chudzinski will both were at the University of Miami.
How can he be praising a guy that hasn't been signed? Usually coaches do not say anything about players that are not on the team.

Are you sure? I just did a check and couldn't find anything other than he was taking a physical yesterday.
I found this....

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/now-the-browns-have-signed-willis-mcgahee-adjust-your-fantasy-rosters-accordingly/
That's poor reporting. If you click on the link (within the one you posted) that says "Cleveland has signed FA RB McGahee," it links to an article that says what every other article anywhere says: they will likely sign him pending a physical.

He has taken the physical, yesterday, and yet it hasn't been announced that they've signed him. Why would they hold off? The longer they wait, they less likely it will be for him to play on Sunday.

To your points:

1) Did any of them know that Richardson was going to get traded? Do you believe they have a listening device in every office of the NFL and know everything that they are thinking? Publicly stating that TRich is on the trading block is like screaming bloody murder from the front office

2) I said that if he were going to be used in an "involved role" he would most likely get this PLUS more if he performs well. And why would any RB at his age turn this down?

1-If Richardson were on the trading block, it WOULD have been reported. There is no evidence to suggest that he was, yet you are assuming that he was, and that somehow McGahee knew about it, but none of the talking heads, beat writers, bloggers, tweeters, etc heard anything about and reported, posted, or tweeted it. Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

2-If a RB (or any player, for that matter) doesn't get signed until after the season starts, it's likely so that the team that signs him isn't on the hook for his entire contract. If they cut him, they don't have to pay the entire year's pay. So, if any team was going to sign McGahee, it would be very unlikely that they would sign him to an incentive-laden contract (and it would be foolish for him to expect one), because if they didn't want to pay for the incentives, they could just cut him at any time. You are making an assumption (McGahee will get offered/sign a deal with incentives) that the facts don't support.

3-Because he's 32? Because he's coming off a significant injury? Because no team (including the Browns) signed him prior to this?

BTW-If you don't look at your assumptions in a vacuum, but put them together, it makes even less sense.

IF the Browns had Richardson on the double-secret, super-classified trade block, AND they were willing to offer McGahee an incentive-laden deal, AND McGahee knew about this and saw an opportunity, why wouldn't they have signed him prior to this? With very little depth behind Richardson, it would have made sense without tipping anyone off to the clandestine trades they were looking into, and it would have allowed McGahee to become more familiar with the offense & get into shape.

When you look at it logically, your theory doesn't make sense.

The Browns might sign McGahee, and he might become the lead RB for the rest of the year, and he might even become the FF savior for thousand of teams, but your idea that the Browns were secretly shopping Richardson, and that McGahee knew of this and was waiting for the opportunity in Cleveland just doesn't add up.

Really people vinegar stroking over a 32 year old has been headed to the ugliest franchise of the past decade who are tanking for teddy.

To your points:

1-If Richardson BLAH BLAH BLAH

2-If a RB BLAH BLAH BLAH

3-Because he's BLAH BLAH BLAH?

BTW-If BLAH BLAH BLAH
In the essence of saving people time rereading my SHORT quote, I never stated that Mcgahee was waiting on the Browns.. I said he wants a more involved role (in so many words). You are completely making up the part that I said he was waiting on the Browns. Or that he is going to be the savior of someone's season. Or that I'm looking at this in a vacuum. I'm only offering theories why he COULD be of some value to a team at some later time. That is all.

In the essence of saving people time rereading my SHORT quote, I never stated that Mcgahee was waiting on the Browns.. I said he wants a more involved role (in so many words). You are completely making up the part that I said he was waiting on the Browns. Or that he is going to be the savior of someone's season. Or that I'm looking at this in a vacuum. I'm only offering theories why he COULD be of some value to a team at some later time. That is all.
You posted this:

And we really don't know if McGahee preferred the Browns because of the type of role he would/could play (like a featured one)
While that doesn't implicitly state McGahee was waiting on the Browns, it sure as hell implies that McGahee somehow knew about the Browns RB opening, BEFORE they traded Richardson. I pointed out that didn't make sense, and then you started making up other nonsense, to try to fit your theory.

Again, McGahee might get signed, he might become Cleveland's RB1, and he might be a FF factor, but that doesn't mean that your idea of what might have happened is even remotely possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You posted this:

And we really don't know if McGahee preferred the Browns because of the type of role he would/could play (like a featured one)
That implies that McGahee somehow knew about the Browns RB opening, BEFORE they traded Richardson. I pointed out that didn't make sense, and then you started making up other nonsense, to try to fit your theory.

Again, McGahee might get signed, he might become Cleveland's RB1, and he might be a FF factor, but that doesn't mean that your idea of what might have happened is even remotely possible.
lol now who's making assumptions? Don't answer that, its rhetorical

In a really deep roster dynasty league, was able to grab both Rainey and McGahee - is it worth wasting another slot to grab Ogbonnaya?
That'd be the Monopoly equivalent of gunning for Mediterranean and Baltic Ave. In the long run, the ROI just isn't worth your time.
You don't know much about Monopoly. In a correctly played game by the real rules (none of that Free Parking bs), the Mediterranean & Baltic combo is like a little ATM machine. Hotels so cheap!

In a really deep roster dynasty league, was able to grab both Rainey and McGahee - is it worth wasting another slot to grab Ogbonnaya?
That'd be the Monopoly equivalent of gunning for Mediterranean and Baltic Ave. In the long run, the ROI just isn't worth your time.
You don't know much about Monopoly. In a correctly played game by the real rules (none of that Free Parking bs), the Mediterranean & Baltic combo is like a little ATM machine. Hotels so cheap!
Oh, Oh I do. The ROI is still not worth the initial investment in comparison to all other properties (with hotels). You have to measure your investment and return. It's indeed a trap.

Interestingly enough, Connecticut Ave produce the greatest ROI with a hotel on it and it's merely the next step up from Med and Bal Ave.

In summary, the CLE backfield is a trap if I've ever seen one.

Got these blubs regarding the Browns RB situation at number fire:

Just last year, Willis McGahee finished 15th out of 42 backs who had 100 or more attempts in rushing NEP. And he was better than teammate Knowshon Moreno, who sat in a similar situation in Denver. Clearly Willis was fortunate to be playing with Peyton Manning in a potent offense, but it’s not as though he was a dreadful runner.

As for Ogbonnaya, well, his story isn’t a very happy one. He’s only received more than 10 carries in a season once, and that was in 2011 when he rushed 76 times. That year, just only 34.21 percent of his runs were successful. In other words, just a little over one-third of his attempts resulted in positive net expected point plays. Most of the time, Ogbonnaya was hurting the Browns compared to a replacement-level runner. To put that kind of success rate into perspective, that type of percentage would rank him in the bottom 10 among 50-plus attempt runners most years.

That’s important to note, too. Net expected points data generally correlates nicely to fantasy success, as long as volume is understood. Clearly for Ogbonnaya, if he gets the same type of usage as he did in 2011, it could mean he won’t be much of an asset on the ground.

The passing game is a different story, though. The Browns back could be an interesting PPR tool, as he’s caught 51 balls over his career, including 24 last season. With an increased role, perhaps Ogbonnaya sees 40 catches. Perhaps.

Of course, keep an eye on the running back split as the season progresses. Willis McGahee (if he does indeed sign) could slow down as his body slowly turns 93 years old, and that could open up opportunity for someone like Bobby Rainey, who signed with Cleveland after being cut by the Ravens. For now though, McGahee is the guy to target off the wire given his history, and don’t overlook Ogbonnaya in PPR leagues. Rainey is simply a player to watch in the coming weeks.
https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/1168/trent-richardson-to-the-colts-wait-what

McGahee didn't get signed by any team he tried out for til Cleveland. NFL coaches don't just turn away "good looking" RBs.

The Browns really seemed to like Dion Lewis in the preseason and then his untimely injury and displeasure with Trent and trade.......what are his chances of significant role next year?

McGahee, Oby, Rainey in that order would be my guess.

McGahee one is obvious I think as he's a veteran and the most talented. Rumors out of NY last week were probably that he looked real good which made Cleveland pull the trigger on this deal.

I say Oby before Rainy simply because when both were healthy and available 3 days ago, Oby played in something like 40% of snaps while Rainey barely saw the field (did he play any offense snaps at all?). Find it hard to believe the guy who played 40% of the offense snaps 3 days ago would not be the better guy to have 4 days from now if you are looking to take a flyer on one of them.
Oby played 52%, Rainey 0%.
Obonnaya was the compliment to Richardson and also lists as fullback. If they don't add anybody I'd think Rainey would be getting part/all of the Richardson role.
Agreed but I think the odds of a McGahee signing are rather good. He's the only one I'd be willing to bet on here. The Oby/Rainey tandem in a vacuum would likely rival PIT's situation as the worst backfield in the league. In fact, it would be worse.
Probably, barring a big surprise from Rainey. Ogbonnaya gets goalline in that scenario, yes? I figure McGahee gets goalline if he comes in.
Surprisingly, the backfield dynamic was closer to a timeshare (snap wise) through weeks 1 and 2. In week 1, Oby saw 45% of the snaps and in week 2, 52%. I'd actually expect much of the same if/when they bring McGahee in. In short, the backfield could very well just be a fantasy wasteland.
This snap percentage has continued hasn't it? Ogbonnaya is looking better and better, another week like last week and week 4 and he will be a very hot WW grab.

ninerfanatic492000 said:
The Browns really seemed to like Dion Lewis in the preseason and then his untimely injury and displeasure with Trent and trade.......what are his chances of significant role next year?
It is difficult to predict how this will shake out for 2014. The Browns will not go into next season with their current stable of RBs, that much is certain. Dion Lewis, like Dujuan Harris, missed an opportunity this season, and that opportunity may not be there next season.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Browns' starting RB for 2014 is not on - or has been - on the roster right now. Expect a rookie draft pick or maybe an UFA like Ben Tate.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Browns' starting RB for 2014 is not on - or has been - on the roster right now. Expect a rookie draft pick or maybe an UFA like Ben Tate.
I have to agree even though I just picked up Ogbonnaya in my keeper league.

our backfield (w/ weeden) is a dumpster fire and the main reason this team won't do much this year. hopefully hoyer will get back to 100% and we'll have at least 2 new rbs in the mix. i was looking forward to see what dion lewis might do w/ a decent opportunity, but he was injured early on.

I picked up Fozzy Whittaker since my league has a deep roster. He got a feature article done on him in Cleveland Plain Dealer this week so maybe there is something to his being signed from the practice squad and the waiving of Rainey.

Bump Silent G. Bloom mentions him this week in Buy low, and he has a great remaining schedule (except wk 16). Sounds like he has a rib injury, however in PPR, could offer nice PPR Value 2nd half of the season... I would say if he received 20 touches/game, he could possibly produce like a mid-high RB2 with low RB 1 upside.

I am in. Just dropped JStew for him... as my last RB on the bench

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2013/11/08/browns-plan-to-give-chris-ogbonnaya-the-chance-to-boost-teams-struggling-running-game/

Bump Silent G. Bloom mentions him this week in Buy low, and he has a great remaining schedule (except wk 16). Sounds like he has a rib injury, however in PPR, could offer nice PPR Value 2nd half of the season... I would say if he received 20 touches/game, he could possibly produce like a mid-high RB2 with low RB 1 upside.

I am in. Just dropped JStew for him... as my last RB on the bench

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2013/11/08/browns-plan-to-give-chris-ogbonnaya-the-chance-to-boost-teams-struggling-running-game/
20 touches sounds unlikely. In fact, I've read what the coaches say, and it doesn't sound that encouraging to me. Coaches say more touches a lot, but without any specifics, it usually means little. Now if the coaches said "20 touches" instead of "more carries", I'd be more excited.

"Silent G"? Seriously? Who the hell is that? Not everyone has a nickname or deserves one and that one made zero sense. Speak English. Chris O. would have been just fine and would have actually told everyone who you were talking about. Yeesh.

And he is JAG, no way does he see 20 touches/game the rest of the way.

"Silent G"? Seriously? Who the hell is that? Not everyone has a nickname or deserves one and that one made zero sense. Speak English. Chris O. would have been just fine and would have actually told everyone who you were talking about. Yeesh.

Silent G is fairly regularly used nickname for him.

Who?

Who?
silent g

Who?
Not only is he correct that Silent G is a fairly well known nickname for Ogbannaya; but in an era of lame sports nicknames, Silent G is one of the better going today.

Users who are viewing this thread