What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Burleson receives low tender (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
Vikings | Team tenders Burleson [KFFL]

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:32:20 -0800

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings placed the lowest tender offer on restricted free agent WR Nate Burleson. He was given a tender offer that is worth $712,000 and would result in the team getting a draft pick equal to the round in which Burleson was selected (third) if he goes elsewhere. Burleson's agent, Jack Scharf, did not seem discouraged by the Vikings' offer. "Negotiations will be ongoing to see if we can get a long-term deal for Nate," Scharf said. "More will come to light pending a ratification of the collective bargaining agreement."

I did not see this posted anywhere and I was really surprised by this low tender.

Are the Vikings making a mistake? I do not want to see Burleson in a Steelers or an Eagles uniform. :cry:

Looks to me that they're trying to see what the market is for both KRob and Burleson, so they can sign the one they consider the best value.

Looks to me that they're trying to see what the market is for both KRob and Burleson, so they can sign the one they consider the best value.
they have enough $, they could afford both

Yes, but what would be the point of allowing Burleson to go find his market value in a year like this for WR's. Since there isn't much available, I would think he'd command a higher offer than usual this year.If they intended to keep both, why not sign him at the highest tender offer and hope the WR market is more saturated next year?

Yes, but what would be the point of allowing Burleson to go find his market value in a year like this for WR's. Since there isn't much available, I would think he'd command a higher offer than usual this year.If they intended to keep both, why not sign him at the highest tender offer and hope the WR market is more saturated next year?
Good point and I don't know the answer. I don't know Burleson and Minny football as well as I'd like. Does he have strong ties to the Vikes? Are they content(or acting like they'd be) with Taylor, Williamson, and MRob?Also

I think the Vikes have taken alot of flack the last so many years about not spending money and are getting their feet wet again and learning. With Wayne off the market, WR is a scarce position now.

Are there still concerns with Koren's dropsies? Or Burleson's injuries?

Looks to me that they think Burleson might more a product of the system than being a true talent. If you know you have the real deal and are under the cap by as much as they are...you don't take the chance of letting him go for a cheap (3rd rounder). Again, if you know you have a true star!

The old regime was very high on him (many moons ago) and envisioned him the successor to the role Cris Carter played.

I think the talent is there, but they may indeed regard him as a product of the old system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pittsburg has the 3.32 – the 96th pick in the draft and Seattle has the 95th pick. Minnesota should play it safe. They should cough off the extra 500 K or so and tender him as a first IMO.

Pittsburg has the 3.32 – the 96th pick in the draft and Seattle has the 95th pick. Minnesota should play it safe. They should cough off the extra 500 K or so and tender him as a first IMO.
They can still match any offer can't they? Maybe even the match would be less than what they were going to offer. I thought this move was just a formality before signing him longterm and waiting to see what happens with the cba. Even if he moves on they get a 3rd rounder and go get a fa wide out, burleson is not a break the bank, hot commodity wide out imo. That said I still want him on the vikes, but I won't be heartbroke if he isn't.

Burleson would look good as an Eagle.
If Brad Childress doesn't see enough in him to offer more than the lowest tender, you can be sure Reid isn't going to be running to acquire him.

Like someone else said...they can match any offer...if they feel it is worthy, they match it...if not they get another first day pick. Sounds smart to me - although I do like the guy alot, he was just injured last year, and never got healthy.

I think the Vikes are inviting an offer. They're most likely guessing Burleson will not command top dollar b/c of his '05 season. Sure...he was injured, but the NFL has a very short-term memory. No team in the NFL will "break the bank" PLUS give up a 3rd-rounder for Burleson. If anything, he'll receive a low-ball offer which the Vikes will gladly match. Burleson cannot be p'od at the Vikes for disrespecting him and not paying what he's worth since another NFL team would have set the market price for him.

He has the speed an offense like KC needs :)
I'm not sure he can be considered a speed receiver. Pretty much a possesion guy without a lot of burst. Moves in and out of his cuts well, though, and is sneaky fast, but definitely doesn't rely on his speed.

If Brad Childress doesn't see enough in him to offer more than the lowest tender, you can be sure Reid isn't going to be running to acquire him
Well Reid better do something because if I see Greg Lewis on a depth chart next season my head may explode.

Pittsburg has the 3.32 – the 96th pick in the draft and Seattle has the 95th pick.  Minnesota should play it safe.  They should cough off the extra 500 K or so and tender him as a first IMO.
I think the Vikes are inviting an offer. They're most likely guessing Burleson will not command top dollar b/c of his '05 season. Sure...he was injured, but the NFL has a very short-term memory. No team in the NFL will "break the bank" PLUS give up a 3rd-rounder for Burleson. If anything, he'll receive a low-ball offer which the Vikes will gladly match. Burleson cannot be p'od at the Vikes for disrespecting him and not paying what he's worth since another NFL team would have set the market price for him.
Stranger things have happened - ie Justin McCareins. Isn't there a potential that a team may make Burleson a offer just to force the Vikings to match? Vikings tried to do something like this with Kampman last year. I forget whether any type of draft pick compensation was involved. The Bears have a fairly late third and could make things interesting for the Vikings.

Pittsburg has the 3.32 – the 96th pick in the draft and Seattle has the 95th pick.  Minnesota should play it safe.  They should cough off the extra 500 K or so and tender him as a first IMO.
I agree it's a smart move by the Vikings. They've been talking long term contract for quite some time and Burleson wants top dollar. Once his value is set by other teams then the Vikes can counter with a long term deal on those terms or just match it and say prove your worth in '06

If Brad Childress doesn't see enough in him to offer more than the lowest tender, you can be sure Reid isn't going to be running to acquire him.
How about the speed to offer a team like the NYG's.He would be an awesome #2 with Plaxico, and not that costly either.

Plaxico/Burleson=McKardell/Smith.

Would be a nice FF offense as well.

I agree it's a smart move by the Vikings. They've been talking long term contract for quite some time and Burleson wants top dollar. Once his value is set by other teams then the Vikes can counter with a long term deal on those terms or just match it and say prove your worth in '06
Or, sign back KRob instead and get a 3rd rounder out of it. They have a TON of options at this point thanks to having the right to match two of the best WR's on the market this season. So they will likely just sit back, see what the market commands for both of these guys, and then make a very educated decision on whether they can afford to keep 1 or both.

How about the speed to offer a team like the NYG's.He would be an awesome #2 with Plaxico, and not that costly either.

Plaxico/Burleson=McKardell/Smith.

Would be a nice FF offense as well.
did you miss the Giants 2005 season?

Stranger things have happened - ie Justin McCareins. Isn't there a potential that a team may make Burleson a offer just to force the Vikings to match? Vikings tried to do something like this with Kampman last year. I forget whether any type of draft pick compensation was involved. The Bears have a fairly late third and could make things interesting for the Vikings.
Like, oh... Chicago? If they don't get Randle El, Burleson would have to be on their list. Giving the Vikings a 3rd would discourage, but taking their WR is a good thing.

If the Giants don't grab this guy they are idiots.
They still have Toomer and his supposed replacement in Carter. Carter is "always" hurt but has looked good at times. Carter's become like Boller and Harrington in that they keep thinking he could get it done and that they really should make a decision on him by now. I don't think the Giants get a WR without parting ways with Tim.

Tim Carter is horrible. I can't figure out why he is even on the team. Burleson is such a steal if all you are giving up is a 3rd round pick. Toomer is nearing the end.

Vikings | K. Robinson to hit the open market

Sat, 4 Mar 2006 21:07:17 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings appear willing to let free agent WR Koren Robinson hit the open market Monday, March 6. Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, said Saturday night, March 4, that talks with the Vikings are at a "standstill," but admitted that with the right to match, "it takes away the (Vikings') urgency." Keels refused to discuss any particulars of his contract talks with the Vikings but agreed the biggest problem in the team retaining his client might be if another club structures a contract offer in a way Minnesota doesn't feel comfortable taking on.

This might change the Vikings priorities.

Burelson certainly isn't a product of the system. He is a solid NFL receiver, who is extremely polished for a guy only a couple years out of college. Great routes, solid hands, and he has shown he actually has deceptive speed. A 3rd rounder is a bargain, and the Eagles would be wise to look at signing him.

The Vikings have done such a fine job of managing their RBs, you've got to give them a free pass with their WRs. :X

Of course, assuming they can get to the podium on time... they can always draft another WR. :(

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread